Help! Need to Decide b/n Galaxy S6 or iPhone 6 in 14 hrs!

Search This thread

raovb

Dec 31, 2010
Hey Guys,

My first post here. I need to pick a phone for my work by tomorrow (I got the notice just today). The options are Galaxy S6 vs iPhone 6. I am really confused between which one to pick.

Here is my situation. I have used both Android & iOS till now. I currently use a Moto E for work. Terrible phone (but built like a TANK!). Before this, I was using iPhone 5 which I didn't mind (loved the camera). I don't know if this should factor in my decision - but I also own iPad Air (love it), Apple TV (meh so far) & Samsung TV. I do not own a Macbook (good old Windows here, HP Probook). I do not subscribe to Apple services like Apple Music or iCloud. I use Google services a lot - hangouts, gmail, maps & will also use google photos when I get the new phone.

iPhone 6 is rated incredibly highly on amazon.com whereas I have been reading about battery issues on the Galaxy S6. I would love the larger screen on GS6 but I am a bit wary of the glass back. Also, if I can't get through the day without recharging - it's a deal breaker for me (I am a moderate user). All the google apps I use are also on iOS and as I said earlier, I am not invested in Apple specific apps/services. I do not intend to root or jailbreak either phone.

I am cautiously optimistic about Now on Tap, in my heart of heart I love the material design philosophy and I am more likely to buy an Android wear watch in the future (if ever) than an apple watch. I am inclined towards Galaxy S6 (when I put things on paper) but I suppose I am looking for a validation that that the device (and by extension Marshmallow) is without significant flaws (terrible battery, hung UI, random restarts and so on). I would really appreciate if you guys can share your experiences on GS6 & Marshmallow/Android reliability.

Thanks for your time!

warface123

Jun 13, 2012
Miami
I am running MM Unofficial 6.01 and no lags, no battery problems, everything is butter smooth, if I had to pick I would go for GS6 bc custom rom's etc, but if your not interested in that then I would pick the iPhone 6 :)

Reactions: raovb

raovb

Dec 31, 2010
Thanks fellow Brabantian! How difficult/easy is it to go for an unofficial MM on GS6? Does it void warranty? Sorry, I have not yet searched the forum on this topic yet...

ham4ever

May 2, 2012
Ram management in GS6 is terrible, while iphone is solid OS, but GS6 is killer in hardware and stupid in software( touchwiz) but i didn't test GS6 in MM so i don't know if any improvement , and GS6 has nice super charge feature which is very useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rekan_

Jan 26, 2015
The S6 has no issues with battery for me, I use it from 9am to 5pm with mobile data enabled and occasional facebook/whatsapp use with 60% charge.
The camera is outstanding, but it is terrible for close range as it cannot focus.

All in all, if you want constant updates for the future, go with the iPhone, but if you want pure stability for the OS, get the S6.

raovb

Dec 31, 2010
Ram management in GS6 is terrible, while iphone is solid OS, but GS6 is killer in hardware and stupid in software( touchwiz) but i didn't test GS6 in MM so i don't know if any improvement , and GS6 has nice super charge feature which is very useful.

Thanks for sharing your views. It's amazing that even with 3 gigs of RAM - there's still memory management issues! Do you experience slowdown or hung apps or delay in launching apps? As regards software, I anyways plan to use one of the launchers to over-ride Touchwiz - can't stand it.

raovb

Dec 31, 2010
The S6 has no issues with battery for me, I use it from 9am to 5pm with mobile data enabled and occasional facebook/whatsapp use with 60% charge.
The camera is outstanding, but it is terrible for close range as it cannot focus.

All in all, if you want constant updates for the future, go with the iPhone, but if you want pure stability for the OS, get the S6.

That sounds like the kind of usage I have. As regards camera not being able to focus, is this an issue even if you use a third party camera app?

ham4ever

May 2, 2012
Thanks for sharing your views. It's amazing that even with 3 gigs of RAM - there's still memory management issues! Do you experience slowdown or hung apps or delay in launching apps? As regards software, I anyways plan to use one of the launchers to over-ride Touchwiz - can't stand it.

Just when open fb and Twitter with couple of chrome pages, then everything in the back has to reload, so if u switch between apps then this is annoying, i don't notice hung apps but i would like to back to the app same place where i left it open , am just waiting for the iphone 7 to switch to it :p

Rekan_

Jan 26, 2015
That sounds like the kind of usage I have. As regards camera not being able to focus, is this an issue even if you use a third party camera app?

I wouldn't know, but it is only where it is properly close range, probably up to 20cm away than it can focus.

loris100

Oct 7, 2014
Hey Guys,

My first post here. I need to pick a phone for my work by tomorrow (I got the notice just today). The options are Galaxy S6 vs iPhone 6. I am really confused between which one to pick.

Here is my situation. I have used both Android & iOS till now. I currently use a Moto E for work. Terrible phone (but built like a TANK!). Before this, I was using iPhone 5 which I didn't mind (loved the camera). I don't know if this should factor in my decision - but I also own iPad Air (love it), Apple TV (meh so far) & Samsung TV. I do not own a Macbook (good old Windows here, HP Probook). I do not subscribe to Apple services like Apple Music or iCloud. I use Google services a lot - hangouts, gmail, maps & will also use google photos when I get the new phone.

iPhone 6 is rated incredibly highly on amazon.com whereas I have been reading about battery issues on the Galaxy S6. I would love the larger screen on GS6 but I am a bit wary of the glass back. Also, if I can't get through the day without recharging - it's a deal breaker for me (I am a moderate user). All the google apps I use are also on iOS and as I said earlier, I am not invested in Apple specific apps/services. I do not intend to root or jailbreak either phone.

I am cautiously optimistic about Now on Tap, in my heart of heart I love the material design philosophy and I am more likely to buy an Android wear watch in the future (if ever) than an apple watch. I am inclined towards Galaxy S6 (when I put things on paper) but I suppose I am looking for a validation that that the device (and by extension Marshmallow) is without significant flaws (terrible battery, hung UI, random restarts and so on). I would really appreciate if you guys can share your experiences on GS6 & Marshmallow/Android reliability.

Thanks for your time!

the gs6 is the best overall phone right now...and especially the edge version is also the best looking one...iphone 6 is crap in comparison...battery is good enough for me with 5+ hours SOT...ram management issues are way overrated and with MM this phone flies...and since your not about custom roms then it fits perfectly your needs...you can get the upcoming s7 if you want the best :cool:

warface123

Jun 13, 2012
Miami
Thanks fellow Brabantian! How difficult/easy is it to go for an unofficial MM on GS6? Does it void warranty? Sorry, I have not yet searched the forum on this topic yet...
Isn't hard at all I must say! And yes it does void the warranty but it's was definitely worth it for me!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Noxxxious

Apr 9, 2012
On paper the S6 is better, but nothing is more true. The hardware will never be fine tuned to the OS like Apple does it. Without root and flashing cynogenmod rom there is no fun in having an Android phone, especially no fun in having the S6.

For basic daily use like you say; mails etc. I'd just go with the iPhone 6. They receive updates way way faster. Let's say android N gets released in june 2016, it will be available for the S6 in march 2017. with the iPhone 6 you will have the newest iOS for the next 6 years (seeing that the iPhone 4s got iOS 9), something you can't expect from any android device.

Also stock S6 without apps like Powernap, Amplify, Disable services and Greenify will give you really terrible idle battery drain. This battery drain is only worse in the android M update, even when it has Doze. This will be better with later updates, but expect these updates to take 2 months atleast.

Seeing that you didn't enjoy the iPhone 5 it wouldn't really make sense to even get an iPhone 6, since the iOS is the same, but it's packed with better hardware and a bigger screen. If it was the hardware you didn't like, then maybe the 6 is an upgrade but if it's the software you can't stad (like me) then just don't get the iPhone, especially not if you won't jailbreak it.

Ram management is overhyped and shouldn't be looked at. Android M has amazing performance, it's butter smooth compared to what we have on Lollipop now.

Conclusion: get a dfferent android device than the galaxy s6, for example the Z5 premium is nice.

Last edited:

thyttel

Oct 16, 2007
I'm running the s6 edge on 6.01 and yes it's smooth. But truth be honest. Battery is just as bad on 6.01 as on 5.11.
I had the iPhone 6 plus before and I honestly regret getting the s6 edge insted of it.
If I had to pick now knowing what I know about both I would stay on the iPhone 6 plus.
I've had enough of Samsung and Android bad optimization and I've had htc one before and so on.
I will change to iPhone 7 this summer myself. But like I said. If I had to choose right now. I would pick the iPhone 6

Sendt fra min SM-G925F med Tapatalk

episode96

Jul 11, 2013
I've never had a problem making it comfortable through the day with moderate use, either before on Lollipop or now on Marshmallow beta. Stock, no root, greenify or anything of the sort.Then again, I don't use facebook, twitter or any other crappy social media battery leeches.

I'd never trade my S6 for an iPhone, that's for sure. I find the hardware ugly and overpriced, and the software too restrictive and boring for my liking. A matter of taste, admittedly.

Last edited:

omeryounos

Dec 16, 2010
Rotterdam
I have both. I use iphone 6 for work email and calendar coz of optimised sync through airwatch , for everything else I always reach out to my SGS6 128GB. SGS 6 is definitely a better entertainment machine and screen size / resolution is awesome compared to IPHONE 6 (DON'T believe apple hype on retina display and human eye cannot see beyond retina..b***s***t) side by side there is a very clear difference and iphone 6 display is no match for GS6. And battery for both is almost similar. I'm a heavy user & both will last a day only. Will need recharge every night.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rakcoon

May 15, 2013
You won't be disappointed with either or. But having said that:

If you're a very picky perfectionist, go for the iphone 6.
If you transfer files/media on the go frequently, galaxy s6.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am running MM Unofficial 6.01 and no lags, no battery problems, everything is butter smooth, if I had to pick I would go for GS6 bc custom rom's etc, but if your not interested in that then I would pick the iPhone 6 :)

I wouldn't know, but it is only where it is properly close range, probably up to 20cm away than it can focus.
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for your time!

the gs6 is the best overall phone right now...and especially the edge version is also the best looking one...iphone 6 is crap in comparison...battery is good enough for me with 5+ hours SOT...ram management issues are way overrated and with MM this phone flies...and since your not about custom roms then it fits perfectly your needs...you can get the upcoming s7 if you want the best :cool:
    On paper the S6 is better, but nothing is more true. The hardware will never be fine tuned to the OS like Apple does it. Without root and flashing cynogenmod rom there is no fun in having an Android phone, especially no fun in having the S6.

For basic daily use like you say; mails etc. I'd just go with the iPhone 6. They receive updates way way faster. Let's say android N gets released in june 2016, it will be available for the S6 in march 2017. with the iPhone 6 you will have the newest iOS for the next 6 years (seeing that the iPhone 4s got iOS 9), something you can't expect from any android device.

Also stock S6 without apps like Powernap, Amplify, Disable services and Greenify will give you really terrible idle battery drain. This battery drain is only worse in the android M update, even when it has Doze. This will be better with later updates, but expect these updates to take 2 months atleast.

Seeing that you didn't enjoy the iPhone 5 it wouldn't really make sense to even get an iPhone 6, since the iOS is the same, but it's packed with better hardware and a bigger screen. If it was the hardware you didn't like, then maybe the 6 is an upgrade but if it's the software you can't stad (like me) then just don't get the iPhone, especially not if you won't jailbreak it.

Ram management is overhyped and shouldn't be looked at. Android M has amazing performance, it's butter smooth compared to what we have on Lollipop now.

Conclusion: get a dfferent android device than the galaxy s6, for example the Z5 premium is nice.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone