• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Help Needed Removing Adware/Self-reinstalling apps/media

Search This thread

Startropic1

Jan 13, 2016
I have a generic android tablet running Android 4.4.2 with the Atom shell and there are some apps and media files that I keep removing that keep reinstalling themselves, and there's something that keeps spamming ads on my screen. One thing is doing full screen ads and when check the screen showing all apps that are running, the big ad is under something called "Tasks" with the android logo as an icon.

The apps that keep installing themselves are:
Something called "Settings" with a green baseball diamond looking thing with a red exclamation point that is clearly a fake settings thing.
Insane Stars
Ten Drops
Likin Hero

and a video called MP4(800x480).mp4

Also I have tried booting the tablet into safe mode using both methods, (Holding down the power button for a few extra seconds, as well as the method of booting while holding down both volume buttons), and neither work.

I'm a bit new to Android so I don't even know what are good anti-malware/adware apps. I use a combo of Spybot Search & Destroy + Ad-Aware on my windows computers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
This is typical of off brand devices. The only way you would be able to get rid of them from good is by flashing a rom made for the device. It is built into the system. Not alot you can do without even root.

Startropic1

Jan 13, 2016
This is typical of off brand devices. The only way you would be able to get rid of them from good is by flashing a rom made for the device. It is built into the system. Not alot you can do without even root.

I do have root, and I successfully removed all the pre-installed malware, (and the files causing them to self-reinstall.) I've done full reboots since the removal and they haven't self-reinstalled so all seems to be well.
For reference here's the guide that helped me:
http://www.cmcm.com/blog/en/security/2015-11-09/842.html
The files on my particular tablet did not match the ones mentioned in the guide exactly, but it still pointed me in the right direction. Just try the guide steps first then search your tablet's storage for "cloud" named files/folders that appear similar to what the guide is describing.

There does seem to be one lingering malware/adware thing lingering and it's not something that was there originally. I get something splashing a full screen ad on my screen and when I check all apps running when this happens, the ad app is listed as "Tasks" with the android logo. Does anyone know what this is and/or how to remove it?