Help needed updating Mediawave MW22-A32 from 4.4.4 to OS6.0+

Search This thread

TXdev

Nov 30, 2021
Hi all! Android noob looking for suggestions.

Manufacturer: Mediawave PC (now Techland PC)
Hardware Model: MW22-A32
Current OS: 4.4.4
Chipset: Rockchip RK3288 (supposedly capable of Android 8.1)
Rooted with SuperSU

Purchased this 22" touch display off eBay and wanted to load an app that requires Android 6 or higher. The manufacturer does not offer an update package for this device and indicated what I have was a special build for a single project that is now likely being refreshed and hardware liquidated. Tech Support indicated I needed to simply buy a NEW device that already has the OS updated.

I would like to think we can update to a newer version of OS, but I have no idea where to start. I checked a few online videos, but they seemed to point to pre-packaged OS bundles from tech enthusiasts for specific mass market tablet models.

Is an upgrade like this possible without having device specific files/firmware? If so, can you point me to a guide or walkthrough for how to do this as an Android novice? Thank you!

Last edited:

donclark

Aug 14, 2014
Lilburn, GA
It’s good to hear it’s responsive (or was lol) maybe I should just bite the bullet and get it…if I can just get it to run Home assistant it will be golden…if you think of anything else or figure anything out let me know!
If the Home Assistant app will run on 4.4.4 then you should be fine. I had to search around and find some apks on other sites so that they would work on this. I would think that the app description should provide this info.
My question to you is - why would you want a specific device to run Home Assistant? Will it not run on your cellphone?
Please keep me posted on your adventure!

Crazyshakespeare15

May 23, 2022
I should have been more detailed in my description....I am currently renovating a commercial building into a home and want to have large touch screens at the entrances. The main bulk of the screen will be an interactive floorpan of the property. Also, the android really need to run fully kiosk rather than the HA app. Basically just a browser with some key bells and whistles.

Reactions: donclark

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Were you ever able to update this device? I have one that i want to update as well.
    I know the topic is a few months old but I’m currently looking at possibly purchasing the 22” or 15” in models and wanted to see if there were any further updates? What is everyone using them for? I hope to use them with home assistant and fully kiosk…anyone know if it’s possible? Seems like there is enough interest, maybe we can get this tablet upgraded?
    I purchased the 22" for my 83yr mother. I created a desktop stand for her to use it to view her gmail, facebook, etc. Its fairly limited because of the small space on the device, So I found a way to move many of the apps to an external usb. It also does not have a camera - which would have been nice for her to be able to use to make videochats, but I could not get an external usb camera to work (tried 4 different makes/models). I never did attempt to flash and upgrade it.
    I should have been more detailed in my description....I am currently renovating a commercial building into a home and want to have large touch screens at the entrances. The main bulk of the screen will be an interactive floorpan of the property. Also, the android really need to run fully kiosk rather than the HA app. Basically just a browser with some key bells and whistles.