Help Needed With JDK Install

Imnice777

Feb 19, 2012
I'm just starting in my attempt to develop apps for Android, and am starting by learning Java. I have downloaded the Headfirst Java textbook along with JDK and Eclipse. However, I can still not open the .class and .java extension files needed for the textbook. Perhaps I did something wrong? What exactly is supposed to open those files? I am running Windows 8 and have not figured this out. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

amit.rai

Nov 4, 2013
Hyderabad
I'm just starting in my attempt to develop apps for Android, and am starting by learning Java. I have downloaded the Headfirst Java textbook along with JDK and Eclipse. However, I can still not open the .class and .java extension files needed for the textbook. Perhaps I did something wrong? What exactly is supposed to open those files? I am running Windows 8 and have not figured this out. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
.class is a compiled executable, just like exe why you need to see the content of it, .class is meant to be executed. just do java <yourclass_name> and press enter. in CMD prompt. it will run.
as you said you had installed eclipse/JDK?, then to open java file it is an editor.

Are you facing anything else ?
Amit

taerangbae

Jan 14, 2020
If you have a hard time installing JDK

Try goormIDE
You can easily build a development environment with a cloud IDE service that provides docker-based containers.