Help needed..

Search This thread

HoustonsBirdman

Apr 10, 2011
OP update: fixed! Thanks! Fix was posted

My brother has a S5 g900a.. he's stuck on 4.4.2, ND3.. won't allow the OTA which is only the small 170mb (which from what I read was a ssmall bug fix blah blah blah.. well 4.4.4 is out OA1, well he can't update to it cuz the only OTA available is the small 170mb update which downloads fine but fails the install.. no 170 update means no 4.4.4 update.. can he Odin back to NCE to fix the OTA issues?? Anyone had luck with this? We even tried to use the stock recovery - update.zip from ext SD OA1 and when he did and it rebooted it still showed 4.4.2 as his FW.. I've read and read and all I see are people having issues but no good answer.. thanks guys (BTW I'm not accustomed to ATT nor the S5. I'm TMo Note 2 (and other phones) awaiting my Note 4 arrival tomorrow)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Joehen873

Dec 9, 2012
philly
My brother has a S5 g900a.. he's stuck on 4.4.2, ND3.. won't allow the OTA which is only the small 170mb (which from what I read was a ssmall bug fix blah blah blah.. well 4.4.4 is out OA1, well he can't update to it cuz the only OTA available is the small 170mb update which downloads fine but fails the install.. no 170 update means no 4.4.4 update.. can he Odin back to NCE to fix the OTA issues?? Anyone had luck with this? We even tried to use the stock recovery - update.zip from ext SD OA1 and when he did and it rebooted it still showed 4.4.2 as his FW.. I've read and read and all I see are people having issues but no good answer.. thanks guys (BTW I'm not accustomed to ATT nor the S5. I'm TMo Note 2 (and other phones) awaiting my Note 4 arrival tomorrow)

i unrooted my s5 before and i went to accept that same update it downloads fine but whwn my phone would **** off to install it it would fail after 42%. so i did a factory reset and then redownloaded it and it installed fine. try it

Reactions: HoustonsBirdman

HoustonsBirdman

Apr 10, 2011
i unrooted my s5 before and i went to accept that same update it downloads fine but whwn my phone would **** off to install it it would fail after 42%. so i did a factory reset and then redownloaded it and it installed fine. try it

He's factory reset it a few times already. I just instructed him to download NCE and flash via Odin. He did and is on NCE now, he checked for updates and of course there is a update.. he's updating now, I'm sure he'll have to go update to update til he gets back to where he was on 4.4.2 and then we'll see if the update he was originally trying but kept failing actually goes thru this time.. he's gonna text/call be soon with the results. I'll update with his progress soon.

HoustonsBirdman

Apr 10, 2011
He ODIN'd back to NCE and OTAs still fail. So he's on a older version that he even started with the OTA issues.. don't make no sense. Told him to take it to Best Buy with a Samsung Experience team and have them flash the latest 4.4.4 .. what a bunch of BS. Glad I'm on TMo and my Note 4 arrives tomorrow. From the sounds of all the problems my Note 2 is better than a AT&T S5. Locked Bootloaders too? They screwed y'all. :thumbdown:

Joehen873

Dec 9, 2012
philly
He ODIN'd back to NCE and OTAs still fail. So he's on a older version that he even started with the OTA issues.. don't make no sense. Told him to take it to Best Buy with a Samsung Experience team and have them flash the latest 4.4.4 .. what a bunch of BS. Glad I'm on TMo and my Note 4 arrives tomorrow. From the sounds of all the problems my Note 2 is better than a AT&T S5. Locked Bootloaders too? They screwed y'all. :thumbdown:

hes gotta go from nce to ne4 for it to even recognize the available ota.

HoustonsBirdman

Apr 10, 2011

OK.. what I gathered was:
Downgrade to NCE (using the downgrade_to_nce file) via odin
Then just sideload the nce_to_ng3, then the ng3_to_oa1 via stock recovery ..
That should bring him to the latest stock unrooted OA1? Or will he have to go back and flash the kernels as well ? I got him doing the downgrade and side loading the other 2 otas right now. So I guess we'll find out soon enough.. what a bunch of BS you gotta go through on the S5 AND its a locked bootloader?? SO glad I got a N4 instead of a S5 lol

coho4life

Nov 15, 2014
CoupevilleWA
help needed

I think that you are over complicating the process of upgrading to 4.4.4 . Mine originally failed trying to pull the OTA from AT&T. However my phone was extremely de-bloated stock rom(NG3). Muniz's safestrap upgrade to 4.4.4 worked flawless for me. As long as you are confident using safestrap I recommend that, and plus it will be rooted when you are done.

HoustonsBirdman

Apr 10, 2011
I think that you are over complicating the process of upgrading to 4.4.4 . Mine originally failed trying to pull the OTA from AT&T. However my phone was extremely de-bloated stock rom(NG3). Muniz's safestrap upgrade to 4.4.4 worked flawless for me. As long as you are confident using safestrap I recommend that, and plus it will be rooted when you are done.

We got it working.. Went to the Troubleshooting portion of the OP in the How-To-Root.. basically my brother couldn't do OTA update.. from ND3 forward.. So we downgraded to NCE per the file suggested, then we manually sideloaded the other 2 OTA files.. Thanks y'all. Sorry I wasn't comprehending it. I DO read and search just sometimes don't get my head wrapped around it. Thanks!
BTW: we are stock unrooted and wanted to keep it that way

coho4life

Nov 15, 2014
CoupevilleWA
We got it working.. Went to the Troubleshooting portion of the OP in the How-To-Root.. basically my brother couldn't do OTA update.. from ND3 forward.. So we downgraded to NCE per the file suggested, then we manually sideloaded the other 2 OTA files.. Thanks y'all. Sorry I wasn't comprehending it. I DO read and search just sometimes don't get my head wrapped around it. Thanks!
BTW: we are stock unrooted and wanted to keep it that way

Glad you got it fixed, but you know you will go back to root LOL...I use to tell myself that I would never root bootloader phones unless there is a current firmware available to restore with ODIN in case I **** up. However I stopped caring when all the roots out don't trip KNOX and if it comes down to it I can just have a AT&T store reload my firmware after playing stupid..did that once lol..

Last edited:

HoustonsBirdman

Apr 10, 2011
Glad you got it fixed, but you know you will go back to root LOL...I use to tell myself that I would never root bootloader phones unless there is a current firmware available to restore with ODIN in case I **** up. However I stopped caring when all the roots out don't trip KNOX and if it comes down to it I can just have a AT&T store reload my firmware after playing stupid..did that once lol..

LOL. I never leave phones stock.. this was my brothers phone, he was on ND3 and couldn't receive OTA updates, was essentially stuck on 4.4.2 and upset cuz 4.4.4 is out already and awaiting 5.0 hopefully. So he was a bit ticked off lol. I'm still on my TMo Note 2 running Lollipop, my Note 4 will be here tomorrow.. me and my bro have our own houses and weren't near each other, and he never rooted or flashed before so it was a figuring it out, communicating to someone.who doesn't flash issue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

hes gotta go from nce to ne4 for it to even recognize the available ota.
    help needed