[HELP] New ZTE Nubia z7 MAX

Search This thread

ferbulous

May 12, 2012
You will have to experiment yourself. I just uninstalled everything I didn't use. As for instructions to root and install gapps, it's all in this thread, step by step!

Care to post screen on time? Are you using the phone with double tap to wake option turned on?
Can you post what you uninstalled since I'd like to avoid removing system app that might be essential for nubia rom to function properly.

Last edited:

sammyx

Feb 17, 2012
from oro.rosso quoted

"About Wifi problemes: i have a workaround -> do not use dhcp, put a static ip on phone or use a reserverd IP on dhcp server (unbelivable BUT IT WORKS!)"

This phone can not work with Wifi DHCP???????

Is the same situation for everyone?????

I'm using Wifi DHCP at my home from TP-Link router and if I buy this phone I need it

If is it bug of old official rom is this fixed with 1.42 official rom?

Last edited:

pilililo2

Jan 27, 2012
Santiago de Compostela
DHCP works on all android phones lol. As well as this one of course.

By the way, is there any update to the modded xposed framework? Since this one is bugged and causes keyboard lag when enabled.

Reactions: sammyx

Biggenz

Sep 19, 2014
Is there any way to hide the left hand panel in messages? It takes up a lot of the screen and I'd like it gone like on the z7 Mini.

dazza888

Aug 25, 2014
Noosa
stock rooted deodexed

Hi guys. Is there a stock rooted deodexed around based on the 1.41 update?? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

pim

Mar 22, 2006
Thionville
gapps

Hello
I have a question regarding dual sim. I understand that the Z7 has 3G/4G for SIM1 and GPRS for SIM2. But I need to use 3G for both sims. With this phone I need to physically put the sim for which I want 3G in the slot 1. Then i have to open the cover each time I switch from a network to the other one.
This is my 3rd chinese phone. And for the 2 others i could choose for which sim I want 3g, without having to switch the 2 sim cards inside the phone all the time.
Or am I missing something ?
Thank you

Last edited:

SteliosAl

Sep 6, 2011
Nubia Z7 Max Flash Firmware

Hi Guys.

I have just received the Nubia Z7 Max for my girlfriend. It seems that there is a lot of confusion here with regards flashing firmware etc.
Please follow this simple guide found here:
Just google ''NX505J Nubia Z7 MAX: root, CWM recovery and CM11 ROM tutorial'' as XDA does not allow me to post external links yet.

BUT instead of flashing Cyanogen Mod 11 just download and flash the latest FULL Nubia Z7 Max Rom v1.41. (size is approx 700MB)

The instructions are very simple. MAKE SURE YOU RESET THE PHONE (INCLUDING THE APP AND DATA RESET OPTION) in case your phone came with the Internation Rom. Then after follow the guide above.
(if you don't know how to enable usb debugging mode, you must go to the 'about' section of the phone and tap the 'build number' a few times until you get the Developer Options enabled where you will find the usb debugging option).
Also, the USB drivers and CWM file mentioned in the tutorial are extracted and installed ON THE COMPUTER. Not the phone :p. This is for newbies who have no idea :)

I have found a couple of quirks with the Nubia Android Operating System. The latest Youtube Version does not display videos. It says 'connection to server lost'. I have downloaded and using Youtube version 5.3.32 and works with no problems.

Also, the contacts app displays names with the last name first, then the first name. For example, my google contact is John Smith. When synced with the phone's contacts app the contact displays as Smith, John. It's just the way they made the contacts app but it is annoying. Also, when some contacts call the phone displays only number but not the name of the contact even if the contact is saved and synced with the phone. I just add the number that called to the 'existing contact' option and the issue is fixed. This is strange as it is not related to the country prefix eg. +357 or 00357. All contacts are without the prefix and appear without the prefix but the phone still does not recognise. Maybe I will try to add prefixes to the numbers and possibly fix the issue.

Last edited:

Wywern.pl

Oct 20, 2011
Wroclaw
Also, when some contacts call the phone displays only number but not the name of the contact even if the contact is saved and synced with the phone. I just add the number that called to the 'existing contact' option and the issue is fixed. This is strange as it is not related to the country prefix eg. +357 or 00357. All contacts are without the prefix and appear without the prefix but the phone still does not recognise. Maybe I will try to add prefixes to the numbers and possibly fix the issue.

I have added both numbers (prefix and not) to contacts which could call the second sim (one with 2g network only). This was fix for me.

pim

Mar 22, 2006
Thionville
Apps won't install

Hi,
I received my phone with an international rom. I've updated it following the steps described by the user "TheKingKong" on this thread :
- downloaded the 1.41 ROM and installed it (by pressing up+power and wipe data before)
- rooted the phone via TowelRoot and installed SuperSU
- installed root explorer
- downloaded PA GAPPS nano.
- made /system R/W
- extracted all the apks from PA Gapps nano into /apps and /priv-apps
- changed necessary permissions for the apps to make them system apps.

Everything ran ok, I could install then my apps, gmail, maps, facebook ...
BUT I have 2 problems :
1. sometimes google play creates 2 icons for the same app on the desktop
2. some apps won't install, for example google plus or hornet. I tried also to install the apk manually but they don't install. I got an error with missing libraries

Do you have the sme issue ?
Thank you

SteliosAl

Sep 6, 2011
Hi,
I received my phone with an international rom. I've updated it following the steps described by the user "TheKingKong" on this thread :
- downloaded the 1.41 ROM and installed it (by pressing up+power and wipe data before)
- rooted the phone via TowelRoot and installed SuperSU
- installed root explorer
- downloaded PA GAPPS nano.
- made /system R/W
- extracted all the apks from PA Gapps nano into /apps and /priv-apps
- changed necessary permissions for the apps to make them system apps.

Everything ran ok, I could install then my apps, gmail, maps, facebook ...
BUT I have 2 problems :
1. sometimes google play creates 2 icons for the same app on the desktop
2. some apps won't install, for example google plus or hornet. I tried also to install the apk manually but they don't install. I got an error with missing libraries

Do you have the sme issue ?
Thank you

To solve the duplicate app icon issue open playstore and swipe the screen from the left to the center of screen to see the playstore options. Untick the option that says ''add icon shortcut'' or something. I am guessing that both the phone and playstore automatically create the shortcut, hence, the 2 shortcuts onscreen. This has fixed the issue for me.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

I have added both numbers (prefix and not) to contacts which could call the second sim (one with 2g network only). This was fix for me.

What prefix format did you use? +xx or 00xx

pim

Mar 22, 2006
Thionville
To solve the duplicate app icon issue open playstore and swipe the screen from the left to the center of screen to see the playstore options. Untick the option that says ''add icon shortcut'' or something. I am guessing that both the phone and playstore automatically create the shortcut, hence, the 2 shortcuts onscreen. This has fixed the issue for me.

Thank you it solved my problem.
I still got apps that won't install though, like google+
Maybe my gapps install was false but if I install custom CWM and gapps from zip, I won't get OTA updates :(

SteliosAl

Sep 6, 2011
Thank you it solved my problem.
I still got apps that won't install though, like google+
Maybe my gapps install was false but if I install custom CWM and gapps from zip, I won't get OTA updates :(

I think CWM worths it.. It's just a 5 minute job to download the newer full firmwares and update via CWM instead of OTA. You will not lose any data if you don't wipe the device or you can always backup your data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CM11 NX505J for Z7 Max WARNING

I've tested CM11 for ZTE Nubia Z7 MAX provided by chinese tdbeta forum. Filename is either one with md5sum d8b1adda6a6cb6054bae106fbd25fc0d:
    cm11 nx505j II Edition.zip or cm-11-20140901-lwang-nx505j.zip

There is unwanted system application included by author which is not part of CM.
    APK: system/app/Statics.apk . Presents itself as System Server 1.4.2, package name com.system.analytics.cpa

You can find a system process running from shell:
    Code:
    S   UID   PID  PPID   VSZ   RSS TTY   STIME TIME     CMD
    S 10057  2644   353  868m 36052 0:0   17:34 00:00:04 .abc

It's set to start on boot, trigger on each app install/deinstall, shutdown. Seems that it collects information about apps installed and reports this information to some remote web service together with imei, serial no and probably some additional private information.
    I did not do deep analysis but binary strings suggest that this is unwanted application, for example:
    sendtime=
    Lcom/system/analytics/cpa/b/b/b;
    http://622b6.romdu.com
    god28id732ea
    kay72no139tr
    ro.boot.serialno
    ro.serialno

I recommend disabling or removing this application (System Server 1.4.2) immediately if you're using CM11 NX505J build by lwang.

EDIT 10-09-2014:
    Same warning applies to MoKee build by lwang, filename MK44.4-nx505j-201408231810-lwang.zip with md5sum 4559e08b8874b7176036c9740f803eb5.
    I wrote a guide here if you need it
    h t t p : / / androidpit.com/forum/617128/nubia-z7-max-root-cwm-recovery-and-cm11-rom-tutorial
    New rom stock v3.22 nubia-z7-max-v3-22/ :good: :good:
    The 1.41 rom improved battery performance significantly, with light usage the phone lasts more than 4 days.

I get 2 full days with heavy usage, bright screen setting and everything turned on(wifi, bluetooth, 3g/4g). Really happy with the battery life on this phone.
    Short Review

Coming from Nokia 3210, Moto Razr V3x, Nokia E61, Samsung P780, HTC HD2, iPhone 4, Lenovo S890, Lenovo P780, Alcatel Idol X, LeMoto K910 and previously Huawei Honor 3C.

Got the ZTE Nubia Z7 Max unit from Lazada with RM150 discount at RM1,149. Playing for 24-hour already... It's rooted 4.4.2 KitKat under NX505J_CNCommon_V1.32 ROM. Here's my comments about this unit:

A = Android = NubiaUI 2.0 KitKat is acceptable. Lots of junk apps out of the box. After rooted, can be frozen/uninstalled.
    B = Body-Built = ZTE managed to make the plastic feel 'acceptable'. Buttons are nicely placed and decent feedback. Capacitive buttons with interchangable functions (menu vs back) are a welcome feature. Thickness and weight are comfortable. 3rd party casing and screen protectors is encouraged but I leave my unit naked.
    C = Call quality = Second place after my previous Moto RAZR V3x. You can get reception even inside elevator or basement one.
    D = Data = LTE modules for both micro-SIM 1 & 2 are the best out of all phones I've own. Previously the record was held by Huawei Honor 3C. Bluetooth is stable too.
    E = Email = Email client is flexible compared to other Android-based phones. It works as intended.
    F = Free-apps = None which is shame. I was hoping lifetime WhatsApp license just like the Alcatel Idol X.
    G = Games = As expected, heavy titles are not an issue with Snapdragon 801 and Andreno 330.
    H = Hangouts = Video call for Skype, Google Hangouts, Tango etc. is superb for 5MP front facing camera.
    I = Internet = AOSP browser is smooth. No checker-board effect on heavy websites.
    J = Juice = 3100mAh = "Decent". Claimed talk-time, stand-by time, etc. are achievable for dual-standby-micro-SIM LTE phone. Power consumption during idle state is 2% from 11pm to 5am. Daily usage can threaten my previous LeMoto P780.
    K = Kamasutra :p = Phone vibrates with notification/ringtone. Vibrating sensation is above average. Ladies may use it for other purpose(s)... LOL...
    L = Loudspeaker = The loudest out of all my previous models. DTS manipulation is pushing the loudspeaker further. But crack if treble is too high. Bass is above average.
    M = Music = Again the DTS technology does its magic. Headphone/earphone usage is encouraged.
    N = Navigation = Working as expected. Lock satellite within 10 seconds. Waze and Google Maps are working normally, even indoors.
    O = One-hand Operation = I have "big" hands and "long" fingers ;) No further comment.
    P = Picture = 13MP is exceptional packed with standard camera features/modes. Dept-of-Field feature withadjustable lighting condition is one of its kind.
    Q = Quirks = tap-hold to bring cut-copy-paste-select does not aligned properly and difficult to tap. But this can be improved in their next ROM release.
    R = Rooting = Super-duper-hyper EASYYYYYYYYY. TowelRoot is the one-click rooting tool. Mod ROM is also available but not purely ROW ROM.
    S = Sound = Earphone sound is OK. Speaker-phone is OK too but crack if too loud. The DTS manipulates the sound brilliantly.
    T = Texting = Stock android keyboard should be replaced with Google keyboard.
    U = User-Interface = smooth & flexible with various themes to choose. Thanks to the 2GB RAM.
    V = Video = Capturing 1080P video is acceptable. 4K is limited to 4 minutes due to overheating. Auto-focus is acceptable.
    W = WiFi = The best out of all smartphones that I have own. Previously was Huawei Honor 3C. Others only manage to get 1-2 bars in my basement floor test. But z7 Max captures 5 full bars without fail. Honor 3C gets 4 bars.
    X = X-factors = For dual-micro-SIM LTE phone with 2GB RAM supported by 32GB onboard storage is worth every penny. Strong voice/data/Wi-Fi reception is a desperate move for those who live in the outskirts or camping sites. Gamers will like this unit too.
    Y = YouTube = The 5.5" IPS screen accompanied by excellent LTE connection is surely an enjoyable experience.
    Z = Zero-figure. Imported from People Republic of China (PRC) unit at Malaysia Ringgit RM1,149-point-zero-zero is a smart investment with high internal specs.

CONCLUSION : Buy it if you are looking for high-spec phone having dual-micro-SIM LTE support. Gonna clinging to this unit until Huawei Ascent Mate 7 or LeMoto Vibe Z2 pro dual-SIM is available in local market.