Help - Pixel 3 stuck after failed flash-all...

edx2000

Feb 9, 2019
Hi, I'm new here... After browsing all over Internet and trying for many hours, hope I can get some help here.

So I was brave yesterday and wanted to root my pixel 3 to install some new themes. Unlocked bootloader, but I screwed up with Magisk / TWRP and the phone could not boot any more. At that point, I was still able to see the phone in adb. Then I tried to flash the stock rom using flash-all, but the process failed at one file (vendor_a?).

Unfortunately, I decided to reboot the phone - and now I'm stuck because the phone will be deadlocked showing the Google screen, and my PC cannot recognize the phone any more. adb shows no device, and device manager doesn't see any Android device. I have the latest developer tools and also installed the latest Google USB driver (at least I think), but now when I plug the phone in, I do hear the new device sound, but it is only recognized as a general USB device.

I can't even turn off the phone. Long pressing power will only go back to restart the phone and the first screen shows "this device is corrupted". Go on to the second screen will only give me an option to pause, with nothing else to choose from. I can't reboot into TWRP or recovery.

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot...

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Hi, I'm new here... After browsing all over Internet and trying for many hours, hope I can get some help here.

So I was brave yesterday and wanted to root my pixel 3 to install some new themes. Unlocked bootloader, but I screwed up with Magisk / TWRP and the phone could not boot any more. At that point, I was still able to see the phone in adb. Then I tried to flash the stock rom using flash-all, but the process failed at one file (vendor_a?).

Unfortunately, I decided to reboot the phone - and now I'm stuck because the phone will be deadlocked showing the Google screen, and my PC cannot recognize the phone any more. adb shows no device, and device manager doesn't see any Android device. I have the latest developer tools and also installed the latest Google USB driver (at least I think), but now when I plug the phone in, I do hear the new device sound, but it is only recognized as a general USB device.

I can't even turn off the phone. Long pressing power will only go back to restart the phone and the first screen shows "this device is corrupted". Go on to the second screen will only give me an option to pause, with nothing else to choose from. I can't reboot into TWRP or recovery.

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot...
First off, if you did successfully unlock your bootloader there is a 99% chance you will be able to recover from this. In fastboot mode is the phone state shown as "unlocked" ? Do you have a second PC or laptop to install the standalone adb/fastboot binaries on? adb does not work in fastboot mode, only in stock recovery mode. First re-try fastboot flashing the full image while in fastboot mode without modifying the flash-all.bat (allow it to wipe). You may also want to check the CRC (checksum) on the image you downloaded to verify it is not corrupt. If unlocked and that install fails capture the error and report back. Then try using adb from the stock recovery. You Tube how to get into recovery and use update via adb with a (different) full OTA image. The full OTA images are also available on the same Google dev site as the factory image, and is sometimes called a rescue OTA. You're in the right place to get help, but you need to provide all relevant information (such as previously installing a custom rom).

cmh714

Jul 4, 2009
try holding power and vol down until the phone reboots and comes back to the menu where you should hopefully get back to Android Recovery mode where you should be able to use adb and the OTA via a sideload......for some strange reason I always get screwed on the vendor partition when using the flash-all script....never have figured it out :)

GL!!

edx2000

Feb 9, 2019
First off, if you did successfully unlock your bootloader there is a 99% chance you will be able to recover from this. In fastboot mode is the phone state shown as "unlocked" ? Do you have a second PC or laptop to install the standalone adb/fastboot binaries on? adb does not work in fastboot mode, only in stock recovery mode. First re-try fastboot flashing the full image while in fastboot mode without modifying the flash-all.bat (allow it to wipe). You may also want to check the CRC (checksum) on the image you downloaded to verify it is not corrupt. If unlocked and that install fails capture the error and report back. Then try using adb from the stock recovery. You Tube how to get into recovery and use update via adb with a (different) full OTA image. The full OTA images are also available on the same Google dev site as the factory image, and is sometimes called a rescue OTA. You're in the right place to get help, but you need to provide all relevant information (such as previously installing a custom rom).
try holding power and vol down until the phone reboots and comes back to the menu where you should hopefully get back to Android Recovery mode where you should be able to use adb and the OTA via a sideload......for some strange reason I always get screwed on the vendor partition when using the flash-all script....never have figured it out :)

GL!!

Thank you guys. I was able to make some progress but now I'm stuck somewhere else.

If I run flash-all, the error message I get is:

"Sending sparse 'vendor_a' 1/2 (262140 KB) FAILED (Error reading sparse file)
Finished. Total time: 108.152s
Press any key to exit..."

Alternatively, I tried sideload in recovery mode, and I get:

"E:footer is wrong
Update package verification took 0.2s
E:Signature verification failed
E:error:21

So it seems the zip I downloaded is corrupted? But I downloaded two different versions from Google Developers and both failed.

Any suggestions? I'm going to try it one more time with another computer.

Badger50

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2011
Kansas City
Thank you guys. I was able to make some progress but now I'm stuck somewhere else.

So it seems the zip I downloaded is corrupted? But I downloaded two different versions from Google Developers and both failed.

Have you also tried a 2.0 USB A to USB C cable, or a different set of cables period?

cmh714

Jul 4, 2009
do what I told you....I always fail at the vendor junk but can easily get the ota sideloaded....give it a try, forget flash-all

EDIT: just read the rest of your post...hmm....

well assuming you get the correct hash after downloading, it should work. after that its computer, port, drivers, sdk, and cable thats a potential issue.

again for me, I always fail on vendor. it happened on my pixel 2xl and still on the 3xl. I have tried multiple pc's, cables, etc and always fail at the vendor partition, but the ota sideload through android recovery always worked. YMMV

Last edited:

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
do what I told you....I always fail at the vendor junk but can easily get the ota sideloaded....give it a try, forget flash-all

EDIT: just read the rest of your post...hmm....

well assuming you get the correct hash after downloading, it should work. after that its computer, port, drivers, sdk, and cable thats a potential issue.

again for me, I always fail on vendor. it happened on my pixel 2xl and still on the 3xl. I have tried multiple pc's, cables, etc and always fail at the vendor partition, but the ota sideload through android recovery always worked. YMMV
If vendor "always" fails on your PXL3 you may want to find out why. Could be a symptom of some problem with your phone.

cmh714

Jul 4, 2009
If vendor "always" fails on your PXL3 you may want to find out why. Could be a symptom of some problem with your phone.
I doubt that....happened with my xl2 as well....tried multiple PC's, ports, cables, etc. nothing seems to work so I have been using the OTA as that has been bulletproof thus far

hilla_killa

Jan 8, 2015
Make your you have latest fastboot and adb, a good non usbc to usb c cable, boot into fastboot, flash all, profit. If your bootloader is unlock your good.

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX

You should verify the crc checksums of the files you are using. There are many tools to do this and the signature is posted with each image. That, and like Badger says.. try a different cable (A to C). and try another PC. Google provides these image files to enable users who have unlocked their bootloader to completely restore the phone to it's factory state. I'm thinking the problem is with a corrupt image, a marginal cable, or the adb/fastboot setup on your PC/laptop. You don't need the complete Android SDK, only the standalone platform tools. The fact you have a working stock recovery and are bootloader unlocked means your likelihood of success is very high.

Badger50

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2011
Kansas City
Wow, using a USB A to C worked!!

Changing to another computer did nothing.

Thanks everybody!![/QUOTGlad you got it working :good:!! Pixel 2 & 3 XL's definitely have something in common. They're both picky sons of guns when it comes to cables! :good::cool:

Last edited:

maruchandd

Dec 22, 2017
Wow, using a USB A to C worked!!

Changing to another computer did nothing.

Thanks everybody!!
Pixel 3a here. Found this through a bit of intense google-fu. This did the trick. Hilarious that this was the source of it. Previously was using usbc to usbc on a win10 laptop and it failed at the same part mentioned here.

Sorry for the necro bump but I think it deserves a mention. Thanks everyone here