• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

(HELP) Pixel 5 bootloop after reversion to stock from beta

Search This thread

Sean Hicks

Oct 24, 2010
Lexington
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for help. I tried reverting my pixel 5 to stock from beta and am stuck at the boot screen with " your device is corrupt. It cannot be trusted and may not work properly."

I've spent days fiddling with it, and cannot get anywhere with the google repair website because it's saying my bootloader is locked. I don't understand how I purchased it unlocked. Anyway, I cannot get into the settings to unlock the bootloader. It's been a long time since I've been a tinkerer but I do have all the software downloaded to do so. I cannot get my PC to recognize the phone in the command prompt window to try and sideload a software install.

Has this happened to anyone and is there a solution out there somewhere?

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for help. I tried reverting my pixel 5 to stock from beta and am stuck at the boot screen with " your device is corrupt. It cannot be trusted and may not work properly."

I've spent days fiddling with it, and cannot get anywhere with the google repair website because it's saying my bootloader is locked. I don't understand how I purchased it unlocked. Anyway, I cannot get into the settings to unlock the bootloader. It's been a long time since I've been a tinkerer but I do have all the software downloaded to do so. I cannot get my PC to recognize the phone in the command prompt window to try and sideload a software install.

Buying it "unlocked" means you bought it free of a carrier, such as Verizon, who lock the bootloader, and can't be unlocked.
But you still need to unlock the bootloader, it comes locked, for security reasons. So if you never unlocked it, it's locked.

I haven't installed beta 12 yet.
Do you have the latest
SDK tools? (adb, fastboot, etc)

I was under the impression though, that you can't downgrade with a locked bootloader. But not sure.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Hey Everyone,

This probably isn't of any help now, but going forward, it may be. In Developer options, you can enable 'OEM unlocking'. As you can see now, it may well be a very good idea to enable that **before** you start messing with the phone, because if something does go wrong (as it has for you), then you can (hopefully) still get to fastboot and do 'fastboot flashing unlock'.

So, knowing this, you may want to keep an eye out for some tool or something that will allow you to possibly turn on oem unlocking (because your device won't boot).

Another thing to try is switching slots and see if the other slot boots? If you can get to fastboot try; fastboot --set-active=(a or b), then fastboot reboot. (If you don't know which slot is active, do 'fastboot getvar all', in the output it will tell you which is current.

cheers

Reactions: bobby janow

jeboo

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2010
Your bootloader being locked should not affect your ability to restore factory images/OTAs from Google. They are signed by Google and will pass the signature checks. You should try to download the latest factory image (either 11 or 12beta) and flash it via recovery => adb sideload.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Everyone,

This probably isn't of any help now, but going forward, it may be. In Developer options, you can enable 'OEM unlocking'. As you can see now, it may well be a very good idea to enable that **before** you start messing with the phone, because if something does go wrong (as it has for you), then you can (hopefully) still get to fastboot and do 'fastboot flashing unlock'.

So, knowing this, you may want to keep an eye out for some tool or something that will allow you to possibly turn on oem unlocking (because your device won't boot).

Another thing to try is switching slots and see if the other slot boots? If you can get to fastboot try; fastboot --set-active=(a or b), then fastboot reboot. (If you don't know which slot is active, do 'fastboot getvar all', in the output it will tell you which is current.

cheers