[HELP] Pixel Fastboot Magisk Patched Boot.img Installation

Search This thread

Zaf9670

Mar 21, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I downloaded the boot.img from the files that matched my version on the Google developers page. I loaded the boot.img and ran the Magisk Manager install option.

Took the patched_boot.img and flashed it to my Pixel then rebooted. Magisk Manager didn't show it was installed. Then I remembered I have slot A and B. So I went back installed, swapped to the other slot and installed again. Boot took a little longer this time. After the boot finished Magisk Manager still didn't show installed.

Any ideas on what steps I missed? Any successful Pixel 1/2 owners who have installed without TWRP or previous root?

I'm unrooted but have my bootloader unlocked from when I was using TWRP/SuperSU long ago. I wanted to move to Android 8 for the security updates and features. Now I want Magisk because I miss having root options.

gothicVI

Jun 7, 2014
Munich
Which versions are we talking about? Log?
Why open a new thread instead of posting in an existing one?

Gesendet von meinem Moto G 2014 LTE mit Tapatalk

Zaf9670

Mar 21, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Which versions are we talking about? Log?
Why open a new thread instead of posting in an existing one?

Beta v14.3, didn't see one fitting my specific issue but I also probably didn't search well enough, and I will have to get/find the logs.

Are you referring to logs from Magisk itself or do I need to turn on logging in the developer menu somewhere and try to reflash the patched boot.img?

gothicVI

Jun 7, 2014
Munich
Beta v14.3, didn't see one fitting my specific issue but I also probably didn't search well enough, and I will have to get/find the logs.

Are you referring to logs from Magisk itself or do I need to turn on logging in the developer menu somewhere and try to reflash the patched boot.img?

I asked for versions (pl!) for a reason: there are many. You forgot to mention the manager and eventually twrp.
Simply post in the beta thread with a the available information and including a magisk log.

Si73

Nov 15, 2007
Suffolk
I downloaded the boot.img from the files that matched my version on the Google developers page. I loaded the boot.img and ran the Magisk Manager install option.

Took the patched_boot.img and flashed it to my Pixel then rebooted. Magisk Manager didn't show it was installed. Then I remembered I have slot A and B. So I went back installed, swapped to the other slot and installed again. Boot took a little longer this time. After the boot finished Magisk Manager still didn't show installed.

Any ideas on what steps I missed? Any successful Pixel 1/2 owners who have installed without TWRP or previous root?

I'm unrooted but have my bootloader unlocked from when I was using TWRP/SuperSU long ago. I wanted to move to Android 8 for the security updates and features. Now I want Magisk because I miss having root options.

The quickest and easiest way is to download the 14.3 zip on your phone, then boot into TWRP via fastboot/ADB on your computer. Once in TWRP find the zip file and install. Then reboot. That is what I did and it took no time at all. Keeps stock recovery allowing OTA updates.