Help Please - AV Output Question

Search This thread

kevcorks

Nov 20, 2018
Hi all, hope someone can help me,

I have an X-Trons branded unit MTCE_GS PX5 unit running Android Oreo (8.0) and all seems to be working well except for the AV-Out.

I was assuming I could use one of the two AV Out connections to connect to the TV in my Campervan to mirror the screen. I have tried to connect to them both but getting no output to the TV.

Is there a setting I need to change or is it not possible and these connections are for something else?

Thanks

KevCorks

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Some of these Android head-units only send output to the video out connections when the unit is in Aux or DVD mode.

I ordered two units - one Hizpo-branded unit (MTCE-XRC), which I believe is that same as the Xtrons - and an Eonon-branded unit (MTCE-WWW) - both octa-core, 4GB of RAM and running Android 8.0.

The Eonon-branded MTCE-WWW unit sends the video out signal at ALL times regardless of the input selected - it simply mirrors what is on the head-unit screen regardless of what it is.

The Hizpo-branded MTCE-XRC unit would only send the video out signal if you were playing a DVD or used the Aux input.

Both units, however, did let you view the navigation app on the head-unit screen while also sending the video out signal (so you could still see navigation without interfering with the video output sent to other screens).

I suspect that your video out will only work if viewing a DVD or when using the aux-in input.

Reactions: CaioTheBrain

kevcorks

Nov 20, 2018
Thanks

Thats a bugger!

My intention was to use the head unit when camping to feed to the TV for Iplayer, Netflix etc.

I Don't use a DVD player anymore and don't want to feed a signal into the stereo just to feed it out to the TV, kind of defeats the object really.

Thanks for the quick reply

KevCorks

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Yeah, I was kind of disappointed with the way the Hizpo-branded unit worked in that respect as well. I have headrest monitors in my car and really don't use physical DVD's anymore either - so it basically rendered my headrest monitors useless. I ended up returning the Hizpo and kept the Eonon. Although, neither unit has real "dual zone" capabilities like my older WinCE-baded head-units, which allowed me to send both audio and video to the headrest monitors while using the head-unit for something completely different (so I could listen to music while the kids in the back watched movies with headphones). Can't do that with these Android units, which is a shame. Fortunately, my kid is older now so I rarely use the headrest monitors any more (especially since kids have tablets nowdays anyway)...

myspac

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks

Thats a bugger!

My intention was to use the head unit when camping to feed to the TV for Iplayer, Netflix etc.

I Don't use a DVD player anymore and don't want to feed a signal into the stereo just to feed it out to the TV, kind of defeats the object really.

Thanks for the quick reply

KevCorks

The solution for me to use video out was to buy an displaylink usb card with hdmi output , to plug it on USB/OTG and install DisplayLink Presenter.
I try a lot of usb otg to hdmi adapter, and compatible "displaylink" driver because it is very simple without any start program each time.
The problem is to buy the right card: small, compatible OTG, without dc 5v... : for me it was: "Delock Adapter USB 3.0 > HDMI (4K)" / Item No. 62617.

Last edited:

maxiauer

Aug 9, 2017
The solution for me to use video out was to buy an displaylink usb card with hdmi output , to plug it on USB/OTG and install DisplayLink Presenter.
I try a lot of usb otg to hdmi adapter, and compatible "displaylink" driver because it is very simple without any start program each time.
The problem is to buy the right card: small, compatible OTG, without dc 5v... : for me it was: "Delock Adapter USB 3.0 > HDMI (4K)" / Item No. 62617.

Thanks @myspac !!

I'd like to copy your idea :) Quick 3 questions:

1) While the adapter is USB 3.0 I assume your unit was USB 2.0 right? No problem for the adapter to work on USB 2 mode, right?

2) How is the delay? noticeable? My idea is to have a 2nd screen closer to the line of sight of the driver, mainly to see the navigation, so delay any will be a problem.

3) Any additional advice?

Kr
Max

DjGolpeX

Jun 16, 2019
Video out Android 8.0 PX5 MTCE XRC upgraded to Hal9k

I have same problem no video outs on mtce xrc i was thinking maybe need to replace mcu software for other one it will work if i put mtce hu ore some other? i dont know if i can put mcu from another manufacture ! so please if someone knows replay to me.thanks!!!

dodis827

Mar 2, 2009
Thanks @myspac !!

I'd like to copy your idea :) Quick 3 questions:

1) While the adapter is USB 3.0 I assume your unit was USB 2.0 right? No problem for the adapter to work on USB 2 mode, right?

2) How is the delay? noticeable? My idea is to have a 2nd screen closer to the line of sight of the driver, mainly to see the navigation, so delay any will be a problem.

3) Any additional advice?

Kr
Max

did you manage to make the connection afterwards, if yes what did you buy?
thanks

maxiauer

Aug 9, 2017
thanks

Yeap, and it mostly worked.

So, I acquired "PPA USB 3.0 to HDMI External Display Adapter 5460", but only because it was available at Frys on my neighborhood and I could return it in case the idea did not work. I guess any DisplayLink compliant adapter would work the same.

Some caveats:
- I never perceived any delay
- Works on Android 8 and 9
- In android 9, sometimes the video is not mirrored. I haven't had time to debug it, it might be the fact that I am using a custom ROM. Plug and Unplug the USB solves it, but as my cabling is not accessible, I usually reset the unit.
- I use the DisplayLink Desktop (Demo) (Early Access) app and NOT the DisplayLink Presenter App (so, you will be using a beta app). Not sure if the Presenter App works.
- The Desktop SW will try to send audio through the HDMI. I solved that with "Lesser AudioSwitch" app to have control of audio routing (maybe the DisplayLink Presenter app does not have this problem?)

All in all, I am happy with the outcome. While not perfect (due to the random black displays now and then), it is not expensive and easy to install.

Hope this helps

Reactions: dodis827

dodis827

Mar 2, 2009

So, I acquired "PPA USB 3.0 to HDMI External Display Adapter 5460", but only because it was available at Frys on my neighborhood and I could return it in case the idea did not work. I guess any DisplayLink compliant adapter would work the same.

Some caveats:
- In android 9, sometimes the video is not mirrored. I haven't had time to debug it, it might be the fact that I am using a custom ROM. Plug and Unplug the USB solves it, but as my cabling is not accessible, I usually reset the unit.
- I use the DisplayLink Desktop (Demo) (Early Access) app and NOT the DisplayLink Presenter App (so, you will be using a beta app). Not sure if the Presenter App works.
- The Desktop SW will try to send audio through the HDMI. I solved that with "Lesser AudioSwitch" app to have control of audio routing (maybe the DisplayLink Presenter app does not have this problem?)

All in all, I am happy with the outcome. While not perfect (due to the random black displays now and then), it is not expensive and easy to install.

Hope this helps

Thanks, I have a dasaita px5 with 4 GB of ram with Android 6.1, do you think there is hope that it will work? But every time you turn on the radio does it connect automatically?

maxiauer

Aug 9, 2017
Thanks, I have a dasaita px5 with 4 GB of ram with Android 6.1, do you think there is hope that it will work? But every time you turn on the radio does it connect automatically?

I also have the Dasaita PX5 that (originally) came with Android 6.1 (MTC-D version, not E). I don't know if this would work on Android 6.1. DisplayLink claims the app requires "Any Android device running Lollipop 5.0 or later..." and the device is plain USB 2.0... but you never know with old Android releases. Worst case you will have to upgrade to Andoid 8 or 9

The DisplayLink App is able to auto-start every time that the USB port is started and the DisplayLink device is detected (meaning, every time you start the car). In my case, this usually works w/o issues...but once a week it fails to detect the DisplayLink device. This problem could be the device I am using (DisplayLink sells the patent to chinese companies to manufacture their own device), the fact that I am using a custom ROM, or the fact that the DisplayLink app is still beta...

In short: I can not promise it will always work. And I can not promise that any chinese HW will work as well as the one I have.

Also, you might want to route the USB cable using an USB extension cord, in a way that you can plug and unplug the extension without dismounting the whole unit...just in case.

WARNING: my DSP antenna was almost NEXT to the external display, and I originally used cheap HDMI cables to go from the adapter to the display. That messed my GPS in a terrible way (no Satellite found). Problem was solved when I acquired a better (not necessarily top expensive) HDMI cable.

Hope this helps
Max

Reactions: dodis827

dodis827

Mar 2, 2009
I also have the Dasaita PX5 that (originally) came with Android 6.1 (MTC-D version, not E). I don't know if this would work on Android 6.1. DisplayLink claims the app requires "Any Android device running Lollipop 5.0 or later..." and the device is plain USB 2.0... but you never know with old Android releases. Worst case you will have to upgrade to Andoid 8 or 9

The DisplayLink App is able to auto-start every time that the USB port is started and the DisplayLink device is detected (meaning, every time you start the car). In my case, this usually works w/o issues...but once a week it fails to detect the DisplayLink device. This problem could be the device I am using (DisplayLink sells the patent to chinese companies to manufacture their own device), the fact that I am using a custom ROM, or the fact that the DisplayLink app is still beta...

In short: I can not promise it will always work. And I can not promise that any chinese HW will work as well as the one I have.

Also, you might want to route the USB cable using an USB extension cord, in a way that you can plug and unplug the extension without dismounting the whole unit...just in case.

WARNING: my DSP antenna was almost NEXT to the external display, and I originally used cheap HDMI cables to go from the adapter to the display. That messed my GPS in a terrible way (no Satellite found). Problem was solved when I acquired a better (not necessarily top expensive) HDMI cable.

Hope this helps
Max

Ok Thank you, I want to buy this StarTech-com-Adattatore-Convertitore-Esterna-Displaylinkd, The manufacturer says it's not compatible with Android, now I don't know what to buy is try, If it doesn't work I throw away 70€:(

maxiauer

Aug 9, 2017
Ok Thank you, I want to buy this StarTech-com-Adattatore-Convertitore-Esterna-Displaylinkd, The manufacturer says it's not compatible with Android, now I don't know what to buy is try, If it doesn't work I throw away 70€:(

So, what won't work for sure is the feature of "...installazione e aggiornamenti automatici dei driver..." because Win drivers are different than Android. Actually, that looks to me like "tricky advertising", my understanding is that DisplayLink drivers come by default with Windows, so all DisplayLink are plug&play on windows.

Will the device work once you installed DisplayLink app on Android?... it should, but...

Anyway the device looks expensive (although Star-Tech is a good brand) Why not trying with some Chinese HW? Also, is Amazon available on your area? Usually you can return things to Amazon without any issue.

Max

dodis827

Mar 2, 2009
So, what won't work for sure is the feature of "...installazione e aggiornamenti automatici dei driver..." because Win drivers are different than Android. Actually, that looks to me like "tricky advertising", my understanding is that DisplayLink drivers come by default with Windows, so all DisplayLink are plug&play on windows.

Will the device work once you installed DisplayLink app on Android?... it should, but...

Anyway the device looks expensive (although Star-Tech is a good brand) Why not trying with some Chinese HW? Also, is Amazon available on your area? Usually you can return things to Amazon without any issue.

Max

Yes I have Amazon in my area cost so much..... How much did you pay him?

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
I know it's an old thread, but only one I could find about getting video out to work on these units. Joying now sells a USB to rca video adapter and I wanted to ask if anyone has tried it on different brand units? They say it only works on joying and even messaged me after I ordered one to confirm I had joying unit (I do not in fact but told them to please send it anyway). I have an Xtrons px5 unit with Android 10. The dongle says for joying Android 10 unit so I'm hoping that since most of these units are similar it will still work.
Here is link to that dongle:

Eddie31386

Oct 12, 2021
I know it's an old thread, but only one I could find about getting video out to work on these units. Joying now sells a USB to rca video adapter and I wanted to ask if anyone has tried it on different brand units? They say it only works on joying and even messaged me after I ordered one to confirm I had joying unit (I do not in fact but told them to please send it anyway). I have an Xtrons px5 unit with Android 10. The dongle says for joying Android 10 unit so I'm hoping that since most of these units are similar it will still work.
Here is link to that dongle:
Did it work the joying adapter?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some of these Android head-units only send output to the video out connections when the unit is in Aux or DVD mode.

I ordered two units - one Hizpo-branded unit (MTCE-XRC), which I believe is that same as the Xtrons - and an Eonon-branded unit (MTCE-WWW) - both octa-core, 4GB of RAM and running Android 8.0.

The Eonon-branded MTCE-WWW unit sends the video out signal at ALL times regardless of the input selected - it simply mirrors what is on the head-unit screen regardless of what it is.

The Hizpo-branded MTCE-XRC unit would only send the video out signal if you were playing a DVD or used the Aux input.

Both units, however, did let you view the navigation app on the head-unit screen while also sending the video out signal (so you could still see navigation without interfering with the video output sent to other screens).

I suspect that your video out will only work if viewing a DVD or when using the aux-in input.
    thanks

Some caveats:

Hope this helps

Hope this helps
    Max