[Help] Problem connecting OP3 to computer in MTP mode

Search This thread

Isayaa

Dec 26, 2012
Hello everybody,

I received my OP3 yesterday and I'm quite happy with my phone, but I'm having an worrying problem with the USB connection. Indeed, I cannot seem to get the USB connection working in MTP mode. In fact, I cannot get anything else working than charging mode.

Things I already tried :
- Enabling USB debugging
- 3 different cables (OP2, OP3, no brand)
- Manually choosing MTP mode in developper options
- 2 different computers

Maybe the most worrying thing is that the Windows device manager doesn't see any device when I connect the phone, not even a device with an error...

I'm really starting to think this is a hardware problem :(

Please, HELP ! :crying:

Reactions: jocker76

numbere

Aug 27, 2013
Hello everybody,

I received my OP3 yesterday and I'm quite happy with my phone, but I'm having an worrying problem with the USB connection. Indeed, I cannot seem to get the USB connection working in MTP mode. In fact, I cannot get anything else working than charging mode.

Things I already tried :
- Enabling USB debugging
- 2 different computers

Maybe the most worrying thing is that the Windows device manager doesn't see any device when I connect the phone, not even a device with an error...

I had the same issue with my MXP and still have it with my OP. Just can't seem to get my pc to recognize them as storage devices.

A workaround I have found is to boot into twrp, then their recognized immediately and can be used as an external storage device.

banjara

Mar 31, 2014
Bangalore
I also got 'charging only' mode when I first connected OP3 to my laptop but after changing the settings at developer options I could do the file transfers and all.
I hope some of your privacy setting isn't messing up with it because AFAIK it shouldn't be a hardware problem.

Isayaa

Dec 26, 2012
I had the same issue with my MXP and still have it with my OP. Just can't seem to get my pc to recognize them as storage devices.

A workaround I have found is to boot into twrp, then their recognized immediately and can be used as an external storage device.
Thing is I cannot unlock bootloader and install TWRP because the USB connection is needed for that :(
Beside, this is a 2 days old phone, I'm expecting it to work flawlessly...

white43

Jan 26, 2008
Dorset, UK
Hello everybody,

Things I already tried :
- Enabling USB debugging
- 2 different computers

When you connect the phone, Marshmallow by default connects in charging mode.

- Swipe down and you will see USB for charging "Touch for more options"
- Select 'File Transfers'

Transfer files.

Isayaa

Dec 26, 2012

Transfer files.

I don't get the pop-up, the phone really does not detect that it's connected to a computer.

lewell6924

Jul 2, 2016
I have this issue with my op3. Just got it in the post today. My windows 10 pc bleeps when pugged in but does not load a drive. In device manager it shows up as the d drive but not in file explorer. Annoying!

marcadam

Nov 23, 2010
My windows 7 (company laptop) recognised my phone first time and installed the drivers no problem. I had problems with my USB flash drive earlier today until I discovered the hidden enable OTG toggle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

cutcas

Dec 13, 2010
Hello everybody,

Things I already tried :
- Enabling USB debugging
- 2 different computers

I had the same problem.

What I did to fix it was the following steps:

- Disable USB debugging in developer options
- Choose PTP mode in developer options
- Choose MTP mode in developer options
- And Done, my PC now recognize the phone in MTP mode :)

castaway1

Dec 5, 2009
what i do to fix this
- disable OEM unlocking
- disable developer options
- plug USB (wait for drivers install)
- enable developer options
- enable USB debuging

BSAB

Jun 10, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Gah, having similar problems!

Have tried all the workarounds suggested here, but whenever I plug it in on MTP mode it just shows me the OnePlus Drivers CD Drive.
I have installed the drivers (multiple times) but Windows 10 just won't see the phone when I plug it on MTP mode, just shows me the Drivers CD Drive every single time.

It's recognised as PTP no problems, but no luck on MTP!

Any ideas?
(Unlocked, not yet rooted, on stock firmware)

SneakyMadyar

Jul 19, 2016
op3

Hi, i have the same problem, has anyone found any solution for this? It's starting to get pretty irritating... :/

SmallKing_LDon

Nov 24, 2015
London
Try this

Hi Guys,

Try halfway inserting the USB cable into your PC, I was having the same frustrating problem and noticed that did the trick for me.

Still trying to figure out why the connectors are not responding when the USB cable is fully inserted, I admit that this is my first device using USB Type-C.

SneakyMadyar

Jul 19, 2016
strange

The problem is not getting any better, i simply cannot get windows to even recognise my phone in device manager. Tried it in adb and fastboot, also tried a hard reset but no solution.. I requested a repair from oneplus because i think it cannot be anything else than a hardware problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everybody,

Things I already tried :
    - Enabling USB debugging
    - 2 different computers

I had the same problem.

What I did to fix it was the following steps:

- Disable USB debugging in developer options
    - Choose PTP mode in developer options
    - Choose MTP mode in developer options
    - And Done, my PC now recognize the phone in MTP mode :)
    I had a similar issue, the computer didn't recognize the phone when plugged in and I had it in MTP mode. I was going nuts trying to figure it out, and realized that my Kindle no longer was recognized as well. It turns out I have some finicky windows MTP drivers, and reinstalling them helps immediately.

Go to: C:\Windows\Inf\wpdmtp.inf, right click the file and click install. Voila, MTP.

I'm sure the filepath is similar, if not the same on most Windows machines.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Hello everybody,

Things I already tried :
    - Enabling USB debugging
    - 2 different computers

Transfer files.
    This worked fo me: (i'm using Win10)

Device manager, and find "MTP device" then driver update, find on computer, and select MTP USB Composit Device. It works with enabled Debugging, OEM unlock is on too. :good:
    Solution to MTP mode dysfunction

Hi,

It's a windows driver problem (the phone is OK):

1. Switch your phone to MTP mode
    2. Go to windows device manager: there is a "unknown device" or something similar
    3. Right click on it
    4. Click on "driver update"
    5. Choose "search a driver on my computer"
    6. And click on "Choose a driver in list..."
    7. Select "USB MTP device" or something similar (not simply "MTP device")

That's it, you have "internal storage" in your windows explorer