Help related to overheating/throttling?

Search This thread

slayernn

Oct 26, 2018
Hello ppl. I'm user of xperia xzs but same is related to xz as they are similar models. Reason why i write here and not in "xperia XZs" section is cus forum section is inactive.
Phone is obviously heating too much, throttling, killing apps and android modules, afaik caused by bad snapdragon 820 power management etc. I belive there is ppl that have less of problems with their devices , which addres posible another issue: bad assembly of phones, in sense thermal pad/paste is not set correctly so even slight miss in assembly, bring overheating and other issues in fact that device is not for normal use.. I tried everything software related: downgrading to nougat, trying different firmwares etc, stamina mode, clearing cache/data etc etc, nothing help to bring my device in state: having a normalno decent phone capable of doing light surf. I dont use camera/games. My device is in very good condition, like new, battery work great. Anyone managed to fix problem somehow? Im thinking the last thing to do before trowing this crap to garbage, to dissasamble and try to check thermal pad/paste and somehow reaply. This is my definetly last smartphone from Sony which became a parody company for phones, not to mention their customer service which are some kind of very stupid AI or if not, that 'person' is on chimpanze level.
Best regards ;)

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Lol, you never dealt with Samsung tech support...
You need to find the root cause(s) using the tools available. Karma Firewall can help show which apps are accessing the internet excessively.
Battery trackers can be useful. Keep social media apps off the phone. Cloud apps are another potential trouble maker ie Google backup Transport.

Attachments

• Karma FW 43.apk
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: slayernn

slayernn

Oct 26, 2018
Samsung is even worse? Damn, is there any human beings in that corporations..
Thx for respond! I tried app that you attach, it gives me some interesting infos for now. User apps block didnt do nothing so i did block all system apps and started burnout benchmark test which usualy stop working when im in ~2/7 test. I find out that Apps (UID 1000) and Apps (UID 10039) is trying to access internet many times. When i disable that 2 alone, burnout benchmark goes to end 7/7 (56c max) which is great. Then i tried to see which one is problematic, and that is Apps (UID 10039) which make problem and kill e.g. Burnout benchmark test . Any suggestion what to try from this point? Thx again mate!

Last edited:
Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Thx for respond! I tried app that you attach, it gives me some interesting infos for now. User apps block didnt do nothing so i did block all system apps and started burnout benchmark test which usualy stop working when im in ~2/7 test. I find out that Apps (UID 1000) and Apps (UID 10039) is trying to access internet many times. When i disable that 2 alone, burnout benchmark goes to end 7/7 (56c max) which is great. Then i tried to see which one is problematic, and that is Apps (UID 10039) which make problem and kill e.g. Burnout benchmark test . Any suggestion what to try from this point? Thx again mate!

You're welcome. I've dealt with Sony before, they are a pain. For hifi equipment Denon is the one you wanted.

Disable Sony, app and carrier feedback. Disable Google Firebase.
You can temporarily disable Google play Services and see if that helps especially at night.
Accubattery is useful for it's charge/discharge history, allows you to track SOT usage easily by the hour %@hr. In time Karma helps you spot odd or unwanted behaviors.

Use this settings mod to globally block ads, it also blocks some blacklisted sites.
Screenshot_20210824-120228_Settings.jpg

slayernn

Oct 26, 2018
You're welcome. I've dealt with Sony before, they are a pain. For hifi equipment Denon is the one you wanted.

You can temporarily disable Google play Services and see if that helps especially at night.
Accubattery is useful for it's charge/discharge history, allows you to track SOT usage easily by the hour %@hr. In time Karma helps you spot odd or unwanted behaviors.

Use this settings mod to globally block ads, it also blocks some blacklisted sites.
View attachment 5689379
Can you tell me where to find and disable 'Sony,app and carrier feedback, google firebase" ? Cant find private DNS option, i have android 8, there is no "more connection settings", i can find printing, its in "Device connection" its all. Thx

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Can you tell me where to find and disable 'Sony,app and carrier feedback, google firebase" ? Cant find private DNS option, i have android 8, there is no "more connection settings", i can find printing, its in "Device connection" its all. Thx
I never used 8, only 4, 5, 9 and 10.
Explore all of settings. Probably there, somewhere. Firebase is at the end of the Google settings in the phone settings.

slayernn

Oct 26, 2018
I never used 8, only 4, 5, 9 and 10.
Explore all of settings. Probably there, somewhere. Firebase is at the end of the Google settings in the phone settings.
There is no dns option in oreo but there is 3rd party app for that, i will try. But still cant find Firebase option and carrier feedback dont know what u mean by that and where to find it? In google settings under "services on this device" there is "ads, auto-fill,backup,dev&sharing ....settings for google apps(connected apps play games etc" cant find there. HM

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Maybe Oreo doesn't support Firebase, good!
Pie has better security at the cost of some functionality. Oreo is suspectable to the X-helper rootkit, a real nasty worm.
Screenshot_20220818-133931_Google Play services.jpg

slayernn

Oct 26, 2018
Maybe Oreo doesn't support Firebase, good!
Pie has better security at the cost of some functionality. Oreo is suspectable to the X-helper rootkit, a real nasty worm.
View attachment 5689419
I turn on dev options and now i see firebase app indexing which is already disabled. I will try to look at Karma fw and accu battery for that "Apps (UID 10039)" which is main problem. So that gives me hope that it is all software problem. Another problem which is probably imposible to fix is that soc start bad throthling etc when it reach ~56c, if thats only few degree up..

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I turn on dev options and now i see firebase app indexing which is already disabled. I will try to look at Karma fw and accu battery for that "Apps (UID 10039)" which is main problem. So that gives me hope that it is all software problem. Another problem which is probably imposible to fix is that soc start bad throthling etc when it reach ~56c, if thats only few degree up..
It's almost always software or a firmware problem you can work around.
Yeah but what's the battery temp? That the temperature I watch. At 102-3F I turn it off.
Not sure what that UID is.
The app, UID Lookup for Android might be helpful, I haven't tried it yet.

slayernn

Oct 26, 2018
Yeah but what's the battery temp? That the temperature I watch. At 102-3F I turn it off.
First of all thank you very much you helped me a lot... you show me the way a posible full-fix for my device! That app UID lookup is not working for me. What i find out is that UID 10039 = com.android.vending aka google play. I unistalled it via adb shell and then run benchmark test and it went all to the end 7/7. Later i installed latest google play apk and after that, benchmark start crashing again and phone overheats. Last thing i did is to DISABLE avg protection and now benchmark run to end 7/7. Avg is present in every xzs firmware by default, if thats reason why device behave this way then ...
ps playstore app crash again randomly during normal use of phone without using playstore. Something with playstore modules are maybe wrong hm...

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Goggle Play or Google Play Store, a known trouble maker?
To optimize a stock device you need to play with it until you understand why (cause and effect) it's behaving the way it is. It takes some time, but after which it becomes almost second nature.
No coding skills needed as there's lots of ways to work within the UI framework including 3rd party apps like Package Disabler for non-Samsung devices but I've never used that version. That's my main means of debloating my Samsung's. PM if you want the link to the website, not on Playstore.

slayernn

Oct 26, 2018
My brain is now throttling badly and temp is rising!! :D
Case 1: In Karma FW > disable AVG, disable google play store, enable Apps (UID 10039) = Benchmark go 100%
Case 2: enable avg, disable google play store, enable Apps (UID 10039) = Benchmark crash at 2/7
Case 3: enable avg, enable google play store, disable Apps (UID 10039) = Benchmark go 100%
So there is some rule in relation to avg-google play store-Apps(UID 100039) and i dont have a clue how they are interconnected, im only 100% sure in coherence with benchmark failing/finishing. I'm not smart..
One thing come to my mind right now, mighty sony support and how banal they are: did you reset your device? And similar anti-brain suggestions. HAHAH

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Clear system cache.
I always disable location unless needed.

Try running the bench with internet disabled.
Try firewall blocking Playstore, I normally do.
Playstore, another good reason to hate it🤣

slayernn

Oct 26, 2018
Tried everything posible i think of, even unistalling chrome (so to enable default android webview), tried different ver of play store (even disabled it true adb). Nothing gives me hope except blocking Apps (UID 10039). I uploaded latest log of blocked uid while successfully running benchmark. I now understand less and less and have no idea what to do next. Is this Sony way to force us to buy a new phone? If so they definetly force me to buy another manufacturer phone.
Screenshot_20220819-192057.png

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Lol, this N10+ was a hot running, lagging battery hog at first. It took a lot time to optimize it. Turned out so good I got a second one.

Dependencies, sometimes it's another app or service causing the drain that's not being correctly reported. Or there's a conflict that creates constant, excessive polling. Trial and error to find them. Add tools that help you to do that... it takes some effort and thought.

Like I said I normally package disable and firewall block Playstore. It's a menace in more ways than one and eats some battery too. Google play Services is normally disabled unless I need it, which is once or twice a day usually. Modify notifications so it doesn't complain endlessly as it will when disabled. Turning off Google play Services and Google Backup Transport is not enough to fully disable it as it may still run in the background at night even.
My N10+ misreports as Google play Services I believe it is... instead Backup must be package disabled to kill it completely.

Your device may behave differently so this is an example of how cryptic this can get. Keep chipping anyway at it until you find the trouble makers and the solutions.

Make sure global power management is disabled or it will cause erratic behavior even more battery consumption.
Developer options>standby apps, all app buckets should show as active otherwise global power management is active! It can't be turned off here though. It's under battery management. In setting under individual apps you can limit data and background battery usage without effecting the global settings, sometimes this gets it.

This is what I'm talking about per Samsung. Sony will have something similar as the global power management/buckets thing is a Google Android apk that manufacturers modify for their flavor. The core functionality though still exists and will likely cause problems when enabled. Its not needed and complicates optimization.
Screenshot_20220819-130410_Device care.jpg

slayernn

Oct 26, 2018
Tried your instructions, it was not easy as i use different manufacturer with oreo and much less options then yours but i got everythink right i think. I found program called "Net blocker" and then go with trial&error to find that real cause of issue and thats 2 modules with same uid no (10039 remember) that karma didnt show me. Now my phone work stable, i can even use google play store. Only related apps like youtube dont work with this 2 modules blocked. Im still not 100% satisfied, i want to come to real solution so if i give my phone to someone, that person dont have to mess around like i did, e.g. after hard reset everything needs to be set with advance knowledge you know..
Here is pic of that 2 modules. Tell me if you know why they making so much problems to whole system and is there a way to fix. Btw Net blocker didnt give me option to disable just 1 of that 2 modules, both of them is selected at same time. Cheers mate and thanx again ! ;)
Screenshot_20220820-001640.png

slayernn

Oct 26, 2018
Try clearing cache and data (if possible).
This how mine looks:
View attachment 5690793
Hey mate. Tried clearing cache and data, guess what .. random crashes again non stop. So now im 100% sure root of problem is Google services framework. If i disable it, everything works fine except related apps(youtube etc etc) and if its enabled, i have to block in firewall. Clearing cache/data/restart/hard resent dont help my device, i tried different firmwares, its always the same. There is some incompatability with xz/s firmwares and that services framework.. i imagine fix is posible and easy but no1 cares.

• Love

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Hey mate. Tried clearing cache and data, guess what .. random crashes again non stop. So now im 100% sure root of problem is Google services framework. If i disable it, everything works fine except related apps(youtube etc etc) and if its enabled, i have to block in firewall. Clearing cache/data/restart/hard resent dont help my device, i tried different firmwares, its always the same. There is some incompatability with xz/s firmwares and that services framework.. i imagine fix is posible and easy but no1 cares.
Sorry...
I always keep Framework disabled. Forgot about it, lol maybe that's why Playstore can't connect🤣 It was constantly draining power even at night.
Bah-ha-ha-ha I had forgotten about it and had been ignoring Playstore, Thanks for reminding me. tff🤣
I may experiment with Framework again but it always ended up being a battery drain that was rarely needed unless I went to Playstore. I knew it was something simple🤣
Damn, you're good.

So you see how giving the phone to someone that isn't willing to take any interest in the system what will happen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol, you never dealt with Samsung tech support...
    You need to find the root cause(s) using the tools available. Karma Firewall can help show which apps are accessing the internet excessively.
    Battery trackers can be useful. Keep social media apps off the phone. Cloud apps are another potential trouble maker ie Google backup Transport.

Screenshot_20210824-120228_Settings.jpg

View attachment 5689379
    First of all thank you very much you helped me a lot... you show me the way a posible full-fix for my device! That app UID lookup is not working for me. What i find out is that UID 10039 = com.android.vending aka google play. I unistalled it via adb shell and then run benchmark test and it went all to the end 7/7. Later i installed latest google play apk and after that, benchmark start crashing again and phone overheats. Last thing i did is to DISABLE avg protection and now benchmark run to end 7/7. Avg is present in every xzs firmware by default, if thats reason why device behave this way then ...
    ps playstore app crash again randomly during normal use of phone without using playstore. Something with playstore modules are maybe wrong hm...