Help remapping some Firestick 4k remote keys

Search This thread

kick60

Jan 2, 2019
Hi all, I have rooted my Firestick 4K (6.2.7.3) and now have root access with Magisk and custom ATV Launcher. What I would like to do now is remap some buttons on my FS4K remote.

I would assume there is a system file where the events are triggered that can be edited but don't know where that is. I know about the key layout file but that is only a map of the buttons on the remote and is not where the events are coded. Does anyone know the name and location of this file?

Alternatively, does anyone know how to get Button Mapper to work on the FS4K? I can install it no problem but it does not capture any input from the FS4K remote. I got Button Mapper to work fine on my other Android box with atvXperience no problem but I can't get it to work with the FS4K.

Failing the above two options, I can explore coding a background process with Android Studio, but I don't have a lot of experience with AS short of being able to create the default "Hello World" apk.

Does anyone know how I can go about remapping the FS4K remote on my rooted stick?

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

AmznUser444 Dev

Hi all, I have rooted my Firestick 4K (6.2.7.3) and now have root access with Magisk and custom ATV Launcher. What I would like to do now is remap some buttons on my FS4K remote.

I would assume there is a system file where the events are triggered that can be edited but don't know where that is. I know about the key layout file but that is only a map of the buttons on the remote and is not where the events are coded. Does anyone know the name and location of this file?

Alternatively, does anyone know how to get Button Mapper to work on the FS4K? I can install it no problem but it does not capture any input from the FS4K remote. I got Button Mapper to work fine on my other Android box with atvXperience no problem but I can't get it to work with the FS4K.

Failing the above two options, I can explore coding a background process with Android Studio, but I don't have a lot of experience with AS short of being able to create the default "Hello World" apk.

Does anyone know how I can go about remapping the FS4K remote on my rooted stick?

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

To remap the Fire TV Stick 4K remote:

1. Install Total Commander from Aptoide TV.
2. Open Total Commander -> File system root and permit root access.
3. Go to /system/usr/keylayout/ folder and you want to modify the key layout (*.kl) file.

kick60

Jan 2, 2019
To remap the Fire TV Stick 4K remote:

1. Install Total Commander from Aptoide TV.
2. Open Total Commander -> File system root and permit root access.
3. Go to /system/usr/keylayout/ folder and you want to modify the key layout (*.kl) file.
Hi thanks but as I mentioned in my post, I don't think this is the file I need. The keylayout will only let you change one of the current keys to behave like another on that particular remote e.g. I can make the home key behave like the back key and vice versa. It won't let me program events like, if I hit Home, do this instead of the system default...

TimmyP

Mar 5, 2008
Only one is FTXLaunch to remap home. You have to fiddle with it and restarting a couple times, but it works on 6.2.7.3 I can triple confirm that now.

Reactions: puppinoo

kick60

Jan 2, 2019
As I mentioned in my post, I can't get Button Mapper to work on Firestick 4K. It doesn't recognize input from the FS4K remote control. If you know how to get it to work, please share. Thanks

Top Liked Posts