• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Help - Rooted - Island Not working

Search This thread

DevinN

Sep 17, 2010
Hello,

Need some help. I was able to get TWRP on my new Tab S4 and root it with Magisk without issue. I was trying to install and get Island working so I could sandbox a few apps for privacy and I can't get it to work. A Knox notice keeps coming up "The work profile cannot be created because the OS was changed". Then I give Island root access, it appears to work, then a lovely Knox screen (The Knox work profile Icon) comes up saying an unauthorized application was installed and blocked, please contact your admin. So I spent the next 4 hours combing forums and Island's install doco to find a solution. I have tried everything, I used debloat to turn all the Knox stuff off but the needed work space. I even left work space running but just disabled the Knox models in it. I installed Island manually with ADB, and gave it God rights. That made things worse.... Now this nasty screen came up at boot and forced me to recover the OS because it couldn't be bypassed, if just prompted to factory reset the device. I have exhausted all my known options and am now requesting air support.

Thanks in advance,
One Very Frustrated Android Amature

dr460nf1r3

Dec 6, 2013
garudalinux.org
Hello,

Need some help. I was able to get TWRP on my new Tab S4 and root it with Magisk without issue. I was trying to install and get Island working so I could sandbox a few apps for privacy and I can't get it to work. A Knox notice keeps coming up "The work profile cannot be created because the OS was changed". Then I give Island root access, it appears to work, then a lovely Knox screen (The Knox work profile Icon) comes up saying an unauthorized application was installed and blocked, please contact your admin. So I spent the next 4 hours combing forums and Island's install doco to find a solution. I have tried everything, I used debloat to turn all the Knox stuff off but the needed work space. I even left work space running but just disabled the Knox models in it. I installed Island manually with ADB, and gave it God rights. That made things worse.... Now this nasty screen came up at boot and forced me to recover the OS because it couldn't be bypassed, if just prompted to factory reset the device. I have exhausted all my known options and am now requesting air support.

Thanks in advance,
One Very Frustrated Android Amature

Afaik once knox 0x1 is triggered there is no way to use Island since work profile cant be added. In fact i tried a lot of stuff to get it working on stock software with just recovery and root being installed, tried unrooting going back to original stock.. nothing worked.
OS has been changed probably refers to the knox counter.

spookyspookster

Nov 2, 2017
Unfortunately Samsung locks Knox if you unlock your device. Afaik this is irreversible.
That is the reason I am still on stock.

Edit: Island should still work though. Haven't tried it though.

Last edited:

DevinN

Sep 17, 2010
Unfortunately Samsung locks Knox if you unlock your device. Afaik this is irreversible.
That is the reason I am still on stock.

Edit: Island should still work though. Haven't tried it though.

Is that an OS limitation? I have other rooted Samsung tablets, (older) running like 5.1 and 6.1 and they WORK. Island is able to create its OWN sandbox with root access on those. I feel like this is a security applet / process blocking this only, not a technical limitation. I was able to create the work profile with ADB outside of root access, I was able to assign Island with both Device Owner and Admin over the work profile and it was technically working. Some Knox security process that I didn't disable (most likely because it's a com.system that isn't listed in debloat) that is blocking it from displaying (I believe it is working) with a security overlay that I can't close. I need help finding that, and killing it with fire. :D I think it is beyond me technically. I am a network admin, not programer, though I speak some programming basic concepts via my network background. Just enough to get me in trouble and get to to here to ask for help.

DevinN

Sep 17, 2010
Afaik once knox 0x1 is triggered there is no way to use Island since work profile cant be added. In fact i tried a lot of stuff to get it working on stock software with just recovery and root being installed, tried unrooting going back to original stock.. nothing worked.

Ok, after much OCD digging, I found the permissions and the Knox security file that was popping that up. I deleted the permissions with adb, killed those 2 processes within the workgroup files using root deleter app and now it works. Note, the whole drive is decrypted by default, I applied the decrypt patch when I rooted. So island was able to successfully provision a work profile and is admin over it.

halo87

Jul 25, 2016
Ok, after much OCD digging, I found the permissions and the Knox security file that was popping that up. I deleted the permissions with adb, killed those 2 processes within the workgroup files using root deleter app and now it works. Note, the whole drive is decrypted by default, I applied the decrypt patch when I rooted. So island was able to successfully provision a work profile and is admin over it.

Hi,

Would you be able to provide a step by step guide ?

Thanks

denkazzzget

Jan 11, 2017

A guide please?!:good:

cedlefou

Oct 18, 2006

Please provide your method, i think we are a lot in that situation : rooted and no work profile allowed by knox and tima. I even tried custom kernels announcing knox stuff disable and it's not workin either.

Thks.

hardkeyboard

Jan 16, 2018
Hi how you do this I need to do the same. Thanks

trogper

Nov 8, 2012
@DevinN, can you provide more info please? What files and apps did you delete?

Edit:
I found that package "com.samsung.android.knox.containeragent" causes the black block-screen, so i disabled it. (adb shell pm disable ...).
Island still refuses fo be installed automatically (security policy prevents creation of work profile because a custom os has been installed) or using root (cannot start the work profile user)
Code:
TZ_init: : TZ_init Process: Device tampered, tamper fuse is set!
TZ_init: : trustlet initialization failed

Last edited:

hardkeyboard

Jan 16, 2018
@hardkeyboard, can you provide more info please? What files and apps did you delete?

Edit:
I found that package "com.samsung.android.knox.containeragent" causes the black block-screen, so i disabled it. (adb shell pm disable ...).
Island still refuses fo be installed automatically (security policy prevents creation of work profile because a custom os has been installed) or using root (cannot start the work profile user)
I replied to DevinN, I wish I know when I write post, but now I don't need because use Nicelock with multistar with dr. Ketan rom with secure folder working

Reactions: trogper

LUCID_DREE

May 4, 2020
You are a fraud , you ask for help , but don't help in return, now I will never answer your queries and I think pretty much that the person reading this thread would also do the same

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi,

Would you be able to provide a step by step guide ?

Thanks
    Seriously, he shared the news but didn't share how he did it??
    @hardkeyboard, can you provide more info please? What files and apps did you delete?

Edit:
    I replied to DevinN, I wish I know when I write post, but now I don't need because use Nicelock with multistar with dr. Ketan rom with secure folder working