Question Help Rooting moto G power 2021 on Android 10

Search This thread
Hello everyone,

In wondering how to root my Moto G power (2021) (Android 10) I've seen other posts on here relating to the rooting of the Moto G power but there's added markups to the the conversations and it kind of confuses the s*** out of me as to what I need to do, and what I don't need to do, it ends up being different than the original guide I've read and I get confused. Please Don't judge. If somebody has the time to walk me through the files needed/ how to root my Moto G power it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

LilaWiya

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hello everyone,

In wondering how to root my Moto G power (2021) (Android 10) I've seen other posts on here relating to the rooting of the Moto G power but there's added markups to the the conversations and it kind of confuses the s*** out of me as to what I need to do, and what I don't need to do, it ends up being different than the original guide I've read and I get confused. Please Don't judge. If somebody has the time to walk me through the files needed/ how to root my Moto G power it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

LilaWiya
There is really only one root option, Magisk.
There are two ways to install it, patched boot.img, or Custom recovery (TWRP)

In either method, the bootloader must be UnLocked
In my opinion the patched boot.img is better.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

In my option the patched boot.img is better.

Edit: spell

Edit: spelling

Ive unlocked the bootoloader and installed Magisk. i would like to go with the patched boot img. way to root.
Its early in the morning here and I've been thru a hell of a time getting this far. I'm lost as to what to do next. The screenshot below is where I'm at. If you could Point me in the right direction, please? Thank you for your time and I appreciate the help you have been giving me thus far.....

Screenshot_20210813-020307.png

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Ive unlocked the bootoloader and installed Magisk. i would like to go with the patched boot img. way to root.
Its early in the morning here and I've been thru a hell of a time getting this far. I'm lost as to what to do next. The screenshot below is where I'm at. If you could Point me in the right direction, please? Thank you for your time and I appreciate the help you have been giving me thus far.....

View attachment 5384515

Tap Magisk > Install

InkedScreenshot_20210813-020307_LI (2).jpg

Then Select and Patch a File

InkedMagisk-select-and-patch-image_LI.jpg

I'll try to make that clearer in my root thread.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I've patched the boot.img file. It all went smoothly.

After attempting to flash the patched img. My touch screen stopped responding.......
Mostly likely because the boot.img was newer than the one you replaced.
You can find the current software version with LMSA, or
Code:
fastboot getvar ro.build.fingerprint
That name should match the firmware folder you are using.
Usually, with minor updates the boot.img(s) are compatible.

Easiest fix is just you the Rescue option in LMSA and flash the firmware, then the patched_boot.img will work.
Rescue will factory reset the device.

or you can use the Device Model #, Codename, and Software Channel.
and download your current version from https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/
and use that boot.img to fix your device, then patch that one to root.

Mostly likely because the boot.img was newer than the one you replaced.
You can find the current software version with LMSA, or
Code:
fastboot getvar ro.build.fingerprint
That name should match the firmware folder you are using.
Usually, with minor updates the boot.img(s) are compatible.

Easiest fix is just you the Rescue option in LMSA and flash the firmware, then the patched_boot.img will work.
Rescue will factory reset the device.

or you can use the Device Model #, Codename, and Software Channel.
and download your current version from https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/
and use that boot.img to fix your device, then patch that one to root.
LMSA seems to hang on my computer, is ODIN an option?

DrRoxxo

Aug 28, 2021
I am also looking into a way to root this phone. I have read through the forums, and this one included, and concluded, I do not have a PC. However, If there is a remote root service I could pay for or a senior member who would take a donation in exchange for root access on the Moto G Power 2021 Boost Mobile sprint USA Variant, I'd be ecstatic.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I am also looking into a way to root this phone. I have read through the forums, and this one included, and concluded, I do not have a PC. However, If there is a remote root service I could pay for or a senior member who would take a donation in exchange for root access on the Moto G Power 2021 Boost Mobile sprint USA Variant, I'd be ecstatic.
You would still need to unlock the bootloader, with PC

Reactions: DrRoxxo

DrRoxxo

Aug 28, 2021
The OEM unlock option in dev settings is greyed out on this model, says "Contact your provider"

Austinredstoner

Feb 3, 2021
Moto G7
The OEM unlock option in dev settings is greyed out on this model, says "Contact your provider"
Probably because u have a carrier like Verizon
Carriers like Verizon don't allow their bootloader to be unlocked which is why the oem unlock is grayed out
U could try to either remove carrier or switch your carrier to something else like T-Mobile if that doesn't work than their is no way to fix this issue I'm afraid

DrRoxxo

Aug 28, 2021
Probably because u have a carrier like Verizon
Carriers like Verizon don't allow their bootloader to be unlocked which is why the oem unlock is grayed out
U could try to either remove carrier or switch your carrier to something else like T-Mobile if that doesn't work than their is no way to fix this issue I'm afraid
I have sprint, Motorola, Motorola has a unlock page for bootloader. Will try when I have access to PC.

Austinredstoner

Feb 3, 2021
Moto G7
I have sprint, Motorola, Motorola has a unlock page for bootloader. Will try when I have access to PC.
I remember Sprint merged with T-Mobile awhile ago so I don't see reason why oem unlock is grayed out for you
On my moto G7 with T-Mobile I managed to unlock bootloader with no issues at all so if oem unlock was available for me I don't see the reason why it's not available for you

DrRoxxo

Aug 28, 2021
Update: I have rooted the Motorola G Power 2021 Boost Mobile USA variant (Model XT2117-4) successfully with Magisk and the tutorial here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-unlocked-bootloader-non-twrp-method.4222583/ thanks to senior member https://forum.xda-developers.com/members/sd_shadow.4267571 for the tutorial. sd_shadow you are awesome! I saw your tutorial and tried it, works like a charm.

On phone>
Install Magisk app.
Enable developer options.
Use the official Motorola unlock website to unlock the bootloader.
Allow OEM unlocking.
Allow USB debugging

On PC>
Install the stock borneo ROM.

Plug phone into PC

Copy "boot.img" from the borneo ROM on PC to Motorola G Power 2021 storage.

On Phone>
open magisk and click install.
Choose "select and pach a file".
Navigate to the boot.img file.
Flash the file with magisk.

On PC>
navigate to phone's storage and copy the patched magisk boot.img file to the PC.
Put the patched magisk boot.img file in the directory of fastboot and ADB on PC.

Open up fastboot from PC fastboot directory. Hold shift in the Fastboot directory and right click an empty space, choose open powershell/command window here.

Type commands:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img

fastboot reboot

*Make sure magisk_patched.img is the exact name of the magisk patched boot.img file.

Reboot. Check magisk and Root Checker for proper root installation.

Reactions: sd_shadow

DrRoxxo

Aug 28, 2021
I remember Sprint merged with T-Mobile awhile ago so I don't see reason why oem unlock is grayed out for you
On my moto G7 with T-Mobile I managed to unlock bootloader with no issues at all so if oem unlock was available for me I don't see the reason why it's not available for you
Turns out, I had just activated the phone and it takes a week or so for the activation data to register with local cell providers. It took about three, maybe four days but the option for oem locking went from grayed out to available. Using the official Motorola bootloader unlock page I was able to unlock it with ADB/Fastboot on PC.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Turns out, I had just activated the phone and it takes a week or so for the activation data to register with local cell providers. It took about three, maybe four days but the option for oem locking went from grayed out to available. Using the official Motorola bootloader unlock page I was able to unlock it with ADB/Fastboot on PC.
    My computer and the rescue tool finally cooperated with each other. Touch screen is restored as is everything else minus the bootloader. Ill pick this up again tomorrow. Going Zip Lining....
    You would still need to unlock the bootloader, with PC
    Update: I have rooted the Motorola G Power 2021 Boost Mobile USA variant (Model XT2117-4) successfully with Magisk and the tutorial here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-unlocked-bootloader-non-twrp-method.4222583/ thanks to senior member https://forum.xda-developers.com/members/sd_shadow.4267571 for the tutorial. sd_shadow you are awesome! I saw your tutorial and tried it, works like a charm.

On phone>
    Install Magisk app.
    Enable developer options.
    Use the official Motorola unlock website to unlock the bootloader.
    Allow OEM unlocking.
    Allow USB debugging

On PC>
    Install the stock borneo ROM.

Plug phone into PC

Copy "boot.img" from the borneo ROM on PC to Motorola G Power 2021 storage.

On Phone>
    open magisk and click install.
    Choose "select and pach a file".
    Navigate to the boot.img file.
    Flash the file with magisk.

On PC>
    navigate to phone's storage and copy the patched magisk boot.img file to the PC.
    Put the patched magisk boot.img file in the directory of fastboot and ADB on PC.

Open up fastboot from PC fastboot directory. Hold shift in the Fastboot directory and right click an empty space, choose open powershell/command window here.

Type commands:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img

fastboot reboot

*Make sure magisk_patched.img is the exact name of the magisk patched boot.img file.

Reboot. Check magisk and Root Checker for proper root installation.
    Does this work on boost mobile version?
    Yes, tried last night. Works splendidly. Safety net tripped for me but using "magisk hide prop" module helped hide root from apps like Google etc. You can get it from the magisk module section.