Question [Help!] Samsung Dex on TV

Search This thread

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
When I use dex on my S22U with my Samsung TV it connects and right after diaconnects with this message:

Screenshot_20220626-211229_Nova7.jpg

Both phone and TV are connected in the same wifi network.

I can make Dex work between my phone and my PC

I can make Dex work between my TV and my tablet.

Why the hell my phone-tv Dex isn't working?

Plus, i remember that I could make it work (not used much, TV is new) and suddenly this started happening.
I tried reseting dex app cache, as well as phone cache and dalvik.
Also tried formating the TV. Didn't tey formating phone because of the trouble it is.

The phone seems to remember the TV. How can i delete Dex data so to start freah again? There is no option in settings.

When I use dex on my S22U with my Samsung TV it connects and right after diaconnects with this message:

View attachment 5646573

Plus, i remember that I could make it work (not used much, TV is new) and suddenly this started happening.
Also tried formating the TV. Didn't tey formating phone because of the trouble it is.

The phone seems to remember the TV. How can i delete Dex data so to start freah again? There is no option in settings.
Try rebooting your phone into recovery mode and clear the cache partition then connect again. If that doesn't work, try turning off your WiFi on your phone; a WiFi network is not needed to use DeX or Smart Mirror.

Reactions: ffp.

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
Try rebooting your phone into recovery mode and clear the cache partition then connect again. If that doesn't work, try turning off your WiFi on your phone; a WiFi network is not needed to use DeX or Smart Mirror.
I already tried clearing cache and dalvik in twrp.
Just tried without wifi on and got the same message.
How can I make Dex "forget" my TV without formating my phone?

I already tried clearing cache and dalvik in twrp.
Just tried without wifi on and got the same message.
How can I make Dex "forget" my TV without formating my phone?
Try connecting to your TV via Smart Mirror. Based on your OP, it works on your PC and it works on your tablet, but not your TV. It seems to be the TV end, not the phone end. You should be able to clear out the devices your TV. If not, then try factory resetting your TV.

You also try cold rebooting your TV.

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
Try connecting to your TV via Smart Mirror. Based on your OP, it works on your PC and it works on your tablet, but not your TV. It seems to be the TV end, not the phone end. You should be able to clear out the devices your TV. If not, then try factory resetting your TV.

You also try cold rebooting your TV.

Smart mirror gets the same problem.
The phone-pc works. Phone-tv doesn't .
However tablet-tv works, that is whats weird...
I thought it was a TV issue, but it works with my tablet, so idk what is.
Already tried factory resetting tv, didn't work. Also tried removing from power socket. Gonna try cold reboot with the remote, but I don't expect this to work.

I was asking how to make Dex app from the phone to "forget" the TV, but idk how.

Smart mirror gets the same problem.
The phone-pc works. Phone-tv doesn't .
However tablet-tv works, that is whats weird...
I thought it was a TV issue, but it works with my tablet, so idk what is.
Already tried factory resetting tv, didn't work. Also tried removing from power socket. Gonna try cold reboot with the remote, but I don't expect this to work.

I was asking how to make Dex app from the phone to "forget" the TV, but idk how.
I don't think there is a way to make DeX "forget" the TV. I don't think DeX actually "remembers," nor cares about what it is connecting to. It only cares if the connecting device is compatible with it.

Since you are getting the same issue with Smart Mirror, it still leads me to believe it is the TV end.

Do you have access to a different smart TV? If so, try connecting to that one and see what happens.

If Link to Windows is turned on, turn it off.

Unfortunately, I can't replicate the problem. I have an older 2016 Samsung smart TV and I have no issues connecting with DeX or Smart Mirror. I've also connected to my 5 year old Samsung smart 4K BD player, and 6 year old Sony smart BD player.

Last edited:

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
I don't think there is a way to make DeX "forget" the TV. I don't think DeX actually "remembers," nor cares about what it is connecting to. It only cares if the connecting device is compatible with it.

Since you are getting the same issue with Smart Mirror, it still leads me to believe it is the TV end.

Do you have access to a different smart TV? If so, try connecting to that one and see what happens.

If Link to Windows is turned on, turn it off.

Unfortunately, I can't replicate the problem. I have an older 2016 Samsung smart TV and I have no issues connecting with DeX or Smart Mirror. I've also connected to my 5 year old Samsung smart 4K BD player, and 6 year old Sony smart BD player.
I think it's on the TV end as well. But why does it work with my tablet?
I don't have another TV to test, just my PC. I have in total 4 devices with Dex: PC, TV, phone and tablet.

Dex seems to remeber because it says "previously connected" under the TV name.

Is there any way to get a log to see whats causing this issue? Idk how to filter the logcat for this situation.

I don't have another TV to test, just my PC. I have in total 4 devices with Dex: PC, TV, phone and tablet.

Is there any way to get a log to see whats causing this issue? Idk how to filter the logcat for this situation.
Ok. I THINK I found out how to clear DeX's settings.

Go to Settings -> Apps

Tap the sort icon to the right of Your Apps.

Toggle Show system apps on and tap ok.

Scroll down until you find:

Samsung DeX
Samsung DeX home
Samsung DeX System UI

From there you can clear cache and data. Caveat to this. You can clear cache and data on Samsung DeX Home, but only clear cache on Samsung DeX and Samsung DeX System UI.

Let me know if that works.

Update: I just cleared cache and data on Samsung DeX Home and cleared the cache on Samsung DeX and Samsung DeX System UI. When I turned on DeX all my devices were cleared. It was just like I turned it on for the first time.

Reactions: ffp. and raul6

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011

Go to Settings -> Apps

Samsung DeX
Samsung DeX home
Samsung DeX System UI

From there you can clear cache and data. Caveat to this. You can clear cache and data on Samsung DeX Home, but only clear cache on Samsung DeX and Samsung DeX System UI.

Update: I just cleared cache and data on Samsung DeX Home and cleared the cache on Samsung DeX and Samsung DeX System UI. When I turned on DeX all my devices were cleared. It was just like I turned it on for the first time.
I didn't think of clearing all 3 apps. This worked for making Dex forget and force a new conection.
However, i still get disconnected with that message...
What can i filter in logcat to try to discover whats happening?

I didn't think of clearing all 3 apps. This worked for making Dex forget and force a new conection.
That I don't know. It would be so much easier if you had access to another TV.

This may sound like it's coming from left field. Is Link to Windows turned on? If so, turn it off. Link to Windows has caused me problems. It wouldn't let me turn DeX on at all.

Reactions: ffp. and KOLIOSIS

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011

This may sound like it's coming from left field. Is Link to Windows turned on? If so, turn it off. Link to Windows has caused me problems. It wouldn't let me turn DeX on at all.
It's turned off. I just cleared samsung Dex data and my phone from Tv to connect as if for the first time and got the same result.

I think the app is called desktoplauncher. Here's the log

Screenshot_20220627-220420_Logcat Reader.jpg

I'm not sure is this ine, though.

Rubby1025

Mar 18, 2022
Dallas/Ft Worth

View attachment 5646573

I would recommend checking to make sure your TV's firmware is up to date on Samsung's web site.

Reactions: ffp. and gernerttl
It's turned off. I just cleared samsung Dex data and my phone from Tv to connect as if for the first time and got the same result.

View attachment 5647491

I'm not going to lie. I don't know what I'm looking for in that log file.

Are you running a VPN?

I did a little research last night and found out that VPN can cause problems. I tested it out this morning. Here are my results:

S22 Ultra (WiFi On, VPN Off) -> Samsung TV - Connected no issues
S22 Ultra (WiFi Off, VPN Off) -> Samsung TV - Connected no issues
S22 Ultra (WiFi On, VPN On) -> Samsung TV - Connected, then disconnected. TV gave error
S22 Ultra (WiFi Off, VPN On) -> Samsung TV - Connected, then disconnected. TV gave error

Both errors were too fast to read.

If you are running a VPN, turn it off and try it.

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
I did a little research last night and found out that VPN can cause problems. I tested it out this morning. Here are my results:

S22 Ultra (WiFi On, VPN Off) -> Samsung TV - Connected no issues
S22 Ultra (WiFi Off, VPN Off) -> Samsung TV - Connected no issues
S22 Ultra (WiFi On, VPN On) -> Samsung TV - Connected, then disconnected. TV gave error
S22 Ultra (WiFi Off, VPN On) -> Samsung TV - Connected, then disconnected. TV gave error

Both errors were too fast to read.

If you are running a VPN, turn it off and try it.
Well, i have a vpn app, but Im not using it. I also tried truning AdAway off. Same issue.
Maybe some router setting? But then, why my tablet can conect to tv?

Well, i have a vpn app, but Im not using it. I also tried truning AdAway off. Same issue.
Maybe some router setting? But then, why my tablet can conect to tv?
I don't think it is a router setting, but it won't hurt to check. If it was a router setting, then it should have worked with the phone's WiFi turned off. Somthing is not letting the wireless traffic go through properly. It could be an app on the phone or on the TV.

Do you have Developer options enabled? If so, did you make any changes from the default settings? In particular the WiFi settings.

I did find this. But it doesn't seem right. You don't need a WiFi network for DeX to connect to a smart TV or monitor. That I have already stated and shown.

You can give it a try though. Make sure your TV and phone are on the same GHz band and try. In this case, it was the 2.4GHz band.

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
I don't think it is a router setting, but it won't hurt to check. If it was a router setting, then it should have worked with the phone's WiFi turned off. Somthing is not letting the wireless traffic go through properly. It could be an app on the phone or on the TV.

Do you have Developer options enabled? If so, did you make any changes from the default settings? In particular the WiFi settings.

I did find this. But it doesn't seem right. You don't need a WiFi network for DeX to connect to a smart TV or monitor. That I have already stated and shown.

You can give it a try though. Make sure your TV and phone are on the same GHz band and try. In this case, it was the 2.4GHz band.
I have developer setting unlocked and had wifi settings on. Tried turning all off and rebooting. Still have the issue.

Also tried connecting the TV and phone in same frequency 2.4 GHz amd 5GHz. Didn't work for both.

I went to the mall today and tried to connect to a samsung tv in a store. After granting permission from the tv, got the same error.

So, it seems it's some setting or app in my phone indeed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can I flash this in Magisk? I dont have TWRP installed
    Thank u sooo mucchhh!!!! It worked by flashing in Magisk
    I'm confident that the problem is caused from rooting. I haven't rooted in years and I am not smart on twrp. The twrp experts can help you better than I can.

Good luck. I hope you get it fixed without having to factory rese
    I'm confident that the problem is caused from rooting. I haven't rooted in years and I am not smart on twrp. The twrp experts can help you better than I can.

Good luck. I hope you get it fixed without having to factory reset.
    Try this fix made by Afaneh
    This helped me with screen mirroring on rooted exy
    I'm on stock, but rooted with magisk and with TWRP.
    Did it work before you rooted? Or after? I THINK, DeX needs Knox. I'm not sure though.

I found this thread. It is in the Z-Fold 3 forums. The fourth post in this thread seems to explain what is happening.

Go to Settings -> Apps

Samsung DeX
    Samsung DeX home
    Samsung DeX System UI

View attachment 5646573

I would recommend checking to make sure your TV's firmware is up to date on Samsung's web site.