• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HELP] SD Card Issue

Search This thread

darshan1504

May 16, 2017
Hello, I have a Samsung J2 2016
I'm having problems with my SD card. I had enabled adoptable storage on my phone before but I had to factory reset my phone because of Viper for Android causing some issues. After the reset I have been trying for a month to use Root Essentials to get my phone to have Adopted storage again but it just fails in the end even though I have flashed the AS plugin zip four times now.
So I just got rid of the adoptable storage and decided that I would shift apps to the portable sd card normally.
Everything worked fine until now. Now when my battery goes below 30% the SD Card stops working and the entire system crashes and reboots. After the reboot it says thar the sd card is unsupported and I'll have to format it. I dont want to format it as it has apps like Snapchat which will require login again which will require me to unroot my phone. The only way to fix it temporarily is to remove the SD Card from the phone during reboot and after it finishes and the phone opens up, put it back in.
I am not sure if formatting the sd card will do any good. I guess the adoptable storage mod by root essentials has something to do with this
Can somebody help me with a permanent fix? I am hoping I won't have to factory reset my phone again:(
Thank you! And sorry for the long post

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Hello, I have a Samsung J2 2016
I'm having problems with my SD card. I had enabled adoptable storage on my phone before but I had to factory reset my phone because of Viper for Android causing some issues. After the reset I have been trying for a month to use Root Essentials to get my phone to have Adopted storage again but it just fails in the end even though I have flashed the AS plugin zip four times now.
So I just got rid of the adoptable storage and decided that I would shift apps to the portable sd card normally.
Everything worked fine until now. Now when my battery goes below 30% the SD Card stops working and the entire system crashes and reboots. After the reboot it says thar the sd card is unsupported and I'll have to format it. I dont want to format it as it has apps like Snapchat which will require login again which will require me to unroot my phone. The only way to fix it temporarily is to remove the SD Card from the phone during reboot and after it finishes and the phone opens up, put it back in.
I am not sure if formatting the sd card will do any good. I guess the adoptable storage mod by root essentials has something to do with this
Can somebody help me with a permanent fix? I am hoping I won't have to factory reset my phone again:(
Thank you! And sorry for the long post
Boot to recovery and factory reset then wipe cache and Dalvik/ART cache. Then boot to download mode and try reflashing stock firmware via Odin with the sdcard removed, the root the device again. Format the sdcard on PC then reinsert the sdcard and try adoptable storage again.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

darshan1504

May 16, 2017
Boot to recovery and factory reset then wipe cache and Dalvik/ART cache. Then boot to download mode and try reflashing stock firmware via Odin with the sdcard removed, the root the device again. Format the sdcard on PC then reinsert the sdcard and try adoptable storage again.

Okay I'll try it and get back to you

darshan1504

May 16, 2017

Okay so it failed. This the error
Wiping data without wiping/data/media...
Done
Formatting Cache using make_ext4fs...
Updating partition details...
...done
Unable to Mount Storage
My phone went into a boot loop because of this so I just flashed the firmware via odin and opened it up. It completely started from scratch. I will try putting my sd card back in after it finishes the startup procedure

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Okay so it failed. This the error
Wiping data without wiping/data/media...
Done
Formatting Cache using make_ext4fs...
Updating partition details...
...done
Unable to Mount Storage
Don't worry with the wipes then.

Just boot to download, flash stock firmware, after flashing, boot to stock recovery and factory reset and wipe cache. Then format SD card on PC then try the SD card and adoptable storage.

darshan1504

May 16, 2017
Don't worry with the wipes then.

Just boot to download, flash stock firmware, after flashing, boot to stock recovery and factory reset and wipe cache. Then format SD card on PC then try the SD card and adoptable storage.

I did it but it didn't erase the internal storage. I have the same internal storage files as I had before. I am downloading all previous apps now. Will get back to you once its done

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I did it but it didn't erase the internal storage. I have the same internal storage files as I had before. I am downloading all previous apps now. Will get back to you once its done
It shouldn't wipe internal when flashing with Odin unless what you flash upgrades/downgrades your bootloader. If what you flash is the same as what you had then it doesn't upgrade/downgrade the bootloader, leaving data untouched.

Factory reset in stock recovery should wipe internal though, did it not do that?

Last edited:

darshan1504

May 16, 2017
It shouldn't wipe internal when flashing with Odin unless what you flash upgrades/downgrades your bootloader. If what you flash is the same as what you had then it doesn't upgrade/downgrade the bootloader, leaving data untouched.

Factory reset is stock recovery should wipe internal though, did it not do that?

I did the factory reset and it did wipe it off now

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I haven't tried adoptable storage but atleast the SD Card isn't crashing for now. I'll tell you if anything happens when the battery goes below 30%
If your device has marshmallow then you shouldn't need a mod to use adoptable storage, it's a built in feature for marshmallow, you should be able to set up adoptable storage in system settings.

darshan1504

May 16, 2017
Did this solve your issue? If not I'll try digging deeper for a solution.

If your device has marshmallow then you shouldn't need a mod to use adoptable storage, it's a built in feature for marshmallow, you should be able to set up adoptable storage in system settings.

It's a Samsung so I don't have inbuilt adoptable storage feature. I have to do it through Root Essentials only

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Sir this problem has started again. The songs and files on my sd card have started crashing abruptly again. I haven't enabled adoptable storage yet but I cleared the data from Google Play Services and this started. Please help
Sounds like a corrupted SD card to me.

I DO NOT PROVIDE HELP IN PM, KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE