• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HELP] Seeking "laf" and "modem" partitions for Android 10

Search This thread

Royaltiger

Jan 24, 2012
While trying to make some modifications using QFIL, I erased the "laf" and "modem" partitions (both a and b) of my V40. Now I can't get into the download mode to reflash the phone using LGUP. The phone is using the Open Korean Android 10 firmware but any Android 10 version laf and modem partitions (a and b) will help me get into the download mode. I just need to flash those four partitions with Android 10 version.

If anyone could provide me the backup of those partitions, that will be a life saver for my LG V40. Many thanks!

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
While trying to make some modifications using QFIL, I erased the "laf" and "modem" partitions (both a and b) of my V40. Now I can't get into the download mode to reflash the phone using LGUP. The phone is using the Open Korean Android 10 firmware but any Android 10 version laf and modem partitions (a and b) will help me get into the download mode. I just need to flash those four partitions with Android 10 version.

If anyone could provide me the backup of those partitions, that will be a life saver for my LG V40. Many thanks!

Hmmmm, no, I don't think so. For downlaod mode to work, there are a number or partitions that have to match, not just be 'Andoroid 10'. They should be the same variant and the same version (30a, 30b etc etc).

You can easily get these partitions yourself from the kdz. Follow this link for one of the many links for how to do this.

Another thing to keep in mind, the modem partition is a critical one, in that it carries your imei. Using a modem partition from someone else would be introducing their imei into your device. I don't know what would happen, it might just get overwritten with your imei, then again it might mess up your device because of the conflict.

The kdz extractor has been around for quite a few years, it would absolutely be a good idea to learn how to use it, for many reasons.

cheers

Royaltiger

Jan 24, 2012
I am absolutely sure it is the ”laf” partitions since that were the partitions (a and b) that were erased by me affecting the download mode. As for extracting the partitions from the firmware, I have already tried that using KDZ extractor but it is of no help. I have tried even first extracting the DZ file and then extracting the “laf” partitions but the files have 0 bytes. Hence, useless.

As for IMEI, I only use the phone for WiFi to function as music player.

Can you extract the partitions from the OP_KR Android 10 firmware? I certainly am unable to.

Thanks much!

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
I am absolutely sure it is the ”laf” partitions since that were the partitions (a and b) that were erased by me affecting the download mode. As for extracting the partitions from the firmware, I have already tried that using KDZ extractor but it is of no help. I have tried even first extracting the DZ file and then extracting the “laf” partitions but the files have 0 bytes. Hence, useless.

As for IMEI, I only use the phone for WiFi to function as music player.

Can you extract the partitions from the OP_KR Android 10 firmware? I certainly am unable to.

Thanks much!

follow this link for laf and abl for kor 30d. Good luck.

Royaltiger

Jan 24, 2012
Just wondering if you could also provide me the "boot_a" and "boot_b" partition images since I am unable to extract them from the firmware Android 10 OP_KR.

Thank you so much.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Just wondering if you could also provide me the "boot_a" and "boot_b" partition images since I am unable to extract them from the firmware Android 10 OP_KR.

Thank you so much.

Follow this link to boot + twrp (already injected) in Kor Open 30f (that's the only version I seem to have). Boot a and b are identical, so it can be used for either.

I'd suggest though you post what issues you're having getting the extract utility to work, and try to fix those. It would make things much easier for you to be able to get any partition from any version any time you wanted.

the utility does work.

cheers

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
<from private email, pls don't do that as many can benefit from the answers>

<quote>

Hey,

Thanks for helping me with the “laf” partition for my LG V40 Sprint (flashed to Korean OP_KR). Just wondering if you know how to access the fastboot mode in this phone? ADB does not help as it simply boots the phone back normally.

According to XDA senior member “FreeSoftwareServers” post, you have to wipe the “laf” partition to access the fastboot. Well, I have erased the “laf” partitions using QFIL and that did not give me fastboot mode either.

I need to have it to root the device as well as disable AVB. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
<end quote>

Accessing fastboot happens 2 ways, but they are not 'equal' versions of fastboot.

1) you can get a 'watered down' version of fastboot by nuking the laf partition, and then accessing fastboot by going to download mode (not by going to fastboot normally). It's considered 'watered down' because the implementation of it differs from rom to rom, the worst implementation is the Kor version (it won't allow you to boot anything, it won't unlock the bootloader, it won't even switch slots). No version, by any of the roms, will allow unlocking the bootloader.

2) by flashing the v35 eng abl to one of the abl slots. This gives you the full version of fastboot, can unlock bootloader, switch slots, etc. But because it's version is Oreo, it can't boot anything that isn't Oreo based. What most people do is flash this to their unused abl slot, then use twrp to switch slots, and reboot to that unused slot, you'll automatically go to fastboot, do what u need to do, then use fastboot to switch to the other slot, fastboot reboot, and yer all set.

cheers

Royaltiger

Jan 24, 2012
Your advice to keep the informative discussion public is well understood.

Now I have tried both ways to access the fastboot, as suggested by you. And neither of them work on the Korean firmwares. But what works is you erase the ”boot_a” partition using QFIL. Of course, you must backup the partition before erasing since it will be needed again.

With the wiped “boot_a“ partition, phone boots you right into Fastboot. After doing the fastboot needed changes, you can flash the earlier saved boot_a back to the partition using QFIL. Works like a charm every time (at least with Korean firmwares).

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Your advice to keep the informative discussion public is well understood.

Now I have tried both ways to access the fastboot, as suggested by you. And neither of them work on the Korean firmwares. But what works is you erase the ”boot_a” partition using QFIL. Of course, you must backup the partition before erasing since it will be needed again.

With the wiped “boot_a“ partition, phone boots you right into Fastboot. After doing the fastboot needed changes, you can flash the earlier saved boot_a back to the partition using QFIL. Works like a charm every time (at least with Korean firmwares).

if neither of them work for you, then you're doing something wrong. Guaranteed. They've worked for hundreds of others, thousands.

keep in mind, if you erase laf, then you have to use the same keys you would normally use to get to lat (download mode) to get (now) to fastboot (as I said before).

that means with phone off, hold vol up, plug in with usb to pc. Of course be sure the laf you nuked is the slot you are currently on.

And if you tried the v35 eng abl on the inactive slot, switched slots, and then rebooted, and it's not working for you... well, I wonder how all those people got their devices unlocked? because that's how you do it.

sorry but, pebkac. There's no doubt they work.

Royaltiger

Jan 24, 2012
I'd suggest though you post what issues you're having getting the extract utility to work, and try to fix those. It would make things much easier for you to be able to get any partition from any version any time you wanted.

the utility does work.

cheers
At your advice, I again tried to extract the partition files from a KDZ file (OP_KR Android 10) and the results are the same i.e., the extracted partition files are 0 kb in size. I am following the procedure down to T. The DZ file gets extracted from KDZ without any problem. But when I try to pull the partition files using the extractor tool, the resulting files are useless as they are 0 kb in size.

I am attaching the screen shot for your analysis.

It will be of immense help if I could be able to extract the partition files myself successfully.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 5

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
At your advice, I again tried to extract the partition files from a KDZ file (OP_KR Android 10) and the results are the same i.e., the extracted partition files are 0 kb in size. I am following the procedure down to T. The DZ file gets extracted from KDZ without any problem. But when I try to pull the partition files using the extractor tool, the resulting files are useless as they are 0 kb in size.

I am attaching the screen shot for your analysis.

It will be of immense help if I could be able to extract the partition files myself successfully.

I've never used the gui version of the extractor, only the cli version under linux, so can't help there. I'd suggest searching for an xda thread discussing the gui.

cheers

Royaltiger

Jan 24, 2012
I've never used the gui version of the extractor, only the cli version under linux, so can't help there. I'd suggest searching for an xda thread discussing the gui.

cheers
Now I totally understand your success because I have read at Howtek that the Windows version of extractor does not work on newer KDZ firmwares. Nevertheless I am very grateful to your earlier extracted files.

Just once more: May I trouble you to let me have the extracted partitions (laf, abl and boot) from the Korean firmware for LG V50 (Android 10): V500NO20y_00_OPEN_KR_OP_0115.KDZ. I need these files for a project that I am undertaking on LG V50. That way I will covered in case something goes South.

Thank you so much for your help.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Now I totally understand your success because I have read at Howtek that the Windows version of extractor does not work on newer KDZ firmwares. Nevertheless I am very grateful to your earlier extracted files.

Just once more: May I trouble you to let me have the extracted partitions (laf, abl and boot) from the Korean firmware for LG V50 (Android 10): V500NO20y_00_OPEN_KR_OP_0115.KDZ. I need these files for a project that I am undertaking on LG V50. That way I will covered in case something goes South.

Thank you so much for your help.

This is something you can figure out for yourself. There's a great deal of documentation and guides available. I managed to follow them and made the cli version work about a year or so ago. I've had hd crashes and laptop replacements since then. I'm not even sure the HD I had with that on it is still in my possession.

MODERATOR EDIT: CERTAIN CONTENTS OF THIS POST WERE REMOVED TO MAKE IT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FORUM RULES

Last edited by a moderator:

theimpulson

Forum Moderator / Recognized Dev / Dev Relations
Staff member
Hey guys,

I have removed some posts from this thread which I felt were getting out of line from the way of a civilized discussion. Follow the FORUM RULES. Rules that were broken:

2.1 Language: XDA is a worldwide community. As a result, what may be OK to say in your part of the world, may not be OK elsewhere. Please don't direct profanity, sexually explicit language or other offensive content toward Members or their work. Conversely, while reading posts from other members, remember that the word you find offensive may not be offensive to the writer. Tolerance is a two-way street.

2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

Regards,
theimpulson
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer / Developer Relations