• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Help! Sprint LG V20 LS997 ZVC Android 7.0. Can't set APN.

Search This thread

nookin

Mar 24, 2012
I have a LS997 that I purchased from eBay a few years ago. I kept the phone at 7.0 and I definitely was able to set the APN. I used it on T-Mobile for test, I was able to enter fast.t-mobile.com as APN and everything works. I then used it on Tello (Sprint network).

I was told that I can switch to GSM, since it is T-Mobile's network, I thought no problems. Ordered the GSM SIM, activated. After I swapped the SIM, I realized that the APN cannot be set. There is simply no "..." menu like I use to. All I see is a greyed out word of "otasn" in the APN list.

I tried putting in a T-Mobile SIM. It works. I see a grayed out fast.t-mobile.com APN with a unselected radio button. But internet works and everything.

STILL NO "..." MENU.

It seems my ability to edit APN has somehow been taken away. I doubled checked the Android version is still 7.0 ZVC and I have not upgraded it.

I honestly don't know how the V20 ended up like this. Can someone help me out?

nookin

Mar 24, 2012
Tried installing an app that edits APN. It managed to bring up an APN setup menu. I can see the familier setup page but everything is grayed out and cannot be edited.

nookin

Mar 24, 2012
Try to go to options, then system updates, then select uicc unlock. Usually unlocks sim for apn if able.
That doesn't seem to do anything. I also found a post mentioning installing Pulse SMS app allows changing APN. That didn't work either. I am really puzzled why the ability to change APN were gone. I am certain that I was able to add APNs. At least right now, it can detect T-Mobile SIM and use its APN automatically (likely because I entered it in the past). I am worried that once I factory reset the phone, even that is gone.

C D

That doesn't seem to do anything. I also found a post mentioning installing Pulse SMS app allows changing APN. That didn't work either. I am really puzzled why the ability to change APN were gone. I am certain that I was able to add APNs. At least right now, it can detect T-Mobile SIM and use its APN automatically (likely because I entered it in the past). I am worried that once I factory reset the phone, even that is gone.
There is a small app that can add an additional APN entry that might work here as some people have done this on the Sprint LG G8. Have a look at this set of comments for the link of the app.
But you should also be aware that some time next year, your LS997 will stop working for phone calls since it can't get VoLTE on T-Mobile, so once they take down both 2G and 3G networks, it will become a data-only device in the U.S.

Mysticblaze347

Jun 12, 2018
There is a small app that can add an additional APN entry that might work here as some people have done this on the Sprint LG G8. Have a look at this set of comments for the link of the app.
But you should also be aware that some time next year, your LS997 will stop working for phone calls since it can't get VoLTE on T-Mobile, so once they take down both 2G and 3G networks, it will become a data-only device in the U.S.
I read that if you go to TMobile and get a new sim that we can still have service. Just be fully TMobile. No Sprint at all. Something to do with new network merge tool they have. Its called TNX.

Last edited:

C D

I read that if you go to TMobile and get a new sim that we can still have service. Just be fully TMobile. No Sprint at all. Something to do with new network merge tool they have. Its called TNX.
I was already referring to full T-Mobile here. The LS997 isn't configured to get VoLTE at all, so all calls would still just go through 2G/3G on any network. It's easy to check by having cellular data on with Wi-Fi off and making a call and see if the LTE icon stays on or immediately switches to 3G or below.
For the few of us on rootable LS997 models, there might be a wild experiment to try by running US996 firmware and see if VoLTE can get enabled on there.

Mysticblaze347

Jun 12, 2018
I read that if you go to TMobile and get a new sim that we can still have service. Just be fully TMobile. No Sprint at all.

I was already referring to full T-Mobile here. The LS997 isn't configured to get VoLTE at all, so all calls would still just go through 2G/3G on any network. It's easy to check by having cellular data on with Wi-Fi off and making a call and see if the LTE icon stays on or immediately switches to 3G or below.
For the few of us on rootable LS997 models, there might be a wild experiment to try by running US996 firmware and see if VoLTE can get enabled on there.
I found a board for a rootable ls997, but I currently have just root shell sadly. Oreo here. Old full root died. I may be screwed. We shall see in a few months. Unless tmobile version will work fine still. I may be forced to downgrade (upgrade). I dont have tmobile version, but if I were to get another v20 maybe only option aside from an us996. I hate this forced crap. V20 days maybe closing up. Super sad n stuff.

C D

Didn't mean to change topic, but was just saying.
You're not too far off-topic since the future of the LS997 on T-Mobile still concerns OP here. My MVNO already stopped new Sprint network activations and started moving to Verizon, so I jumped over to T-Mobile prepaid and finally let go of my LS997 as my daily driver. I could still mess around later this year with US996 firmware and let you know what I can find.

But if you want to stick with your unrootable LS997, then you still have plenty of time for next year. From what I read, T-Mobile will shut down their 3G network by July 1st, 2022 while no official date has been set for turning off their 2G portion. However, even with 2G and 3G still working for calls, if you ever happen to be in a spot where there's only an LTE band signal without 2G/3G, then you won't be able to make or take calls there.

So the only safe way to keep going on a V20 with T-Mobile is to get their H918 model. But even then, you're still limited to Android Oreo, which some apps may eventually abandon as they might raise the minimum requirement to Pie or higher at some point.

Reactions: Mysticblaze347

Mysticblaze347

Jun 12, 2018
You're not too far off-topic since the future of the LS997 on T-Mobile still concerns OP here. My MVNO already stopped new Sprint network activations and started moving to Verizon, so I jumped over to T-Mobile prepaid and finally let go of my LS997 as my daily driver. I could still mess around later this year with US996 firmware and let you know what I can find.

But if you want to stick with your unrootable LS997, then you still have plenty of time for next year. From what I read, T-Mobile will shut down their 3G network by July 1st, 2022 while no official date has been set for turning off their 2G portion. However, even with 2G and 3G still working for calls, if you ever happen to be in a spot where there's only an LTE band signal without 2G/3G, then you won't be able to make or take calls there.

So the only safe way to keep going on a V20 with T-Mobile is to get their H918 model. But even then, you're still limited to Android Oreo, which some apps may eventually abandon as they might raise the minimum requirement to Pie or higher at some point.
As of today I got a message saying my device needs to upgrade or sim upgrade to keep service after 1/1/21. https://www.sprint.com/en/support/cdma-retirement-legal-notice.html

C D

As of today I got a message saying my device needs to upgrade or sim upgrade to keep service after 1/1/21. https://www.sprint.com/en/support/cdma-retirement-legal-notice.html
If your LS997 is SIM-unlocked like OP's, then you could get a T-Mobile SIM card and keep going until T-Mobile shuts down both their 2G & 3G networks next year. Just be aware that no Sprint-branded phone will pass T-Mobile's IMEI checker. But you should have a VoLTE-compatible backup phone ready to go if you start running into LTE-only or low-signal areas.

Reactions: Mysticblaze347

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If your LS997 is SIM-unlocked like OP's, then you could get a T-Mobile SIM card and keep going until T-Mobile shuts down both their 2G & 3G networks next year. Just be aware that no Sprint-branded phone will pass T-Mobile's IMEI checker. But you should have a VoLTE-compatible backup phone ready to go if you start running into LTE-only or low-signal areas.
    Didn't mean to change topic, but was just saying.