[Help Thread][8.9" Kindle Fire HD](2nd Gen 2012) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
[SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

8.9" Kindle Fire HD - 2012

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
attachment.php
List of supporters
@sd_shadow
...​
To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
Please look for a similar [HELP THREAD] when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a similar [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Kindle Fire HD 8.9"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I know if I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9"?[/SIZE]
The Kindle Fire HD 8.9" has Power and volume buttons on the sides, Front-facing HD camera.​
[SIZE=+1]Q2: What is the ........................................................................................................?[/SIZE]
Replace this block of text with a short answer for the above question. If the answer is complicated or otherwise lengthy, avoid the temptation to provide a full answer here. If the answer is truly that involved, this should be answered in another thread outside of this document. The answer then should provide a brief summary or overview and direct the reader to the document providing a full coverage of the topic.​
[SIZE=+1]Q3: Why does the ........................................................................................................?[/SIZE]
Replace this block of text with a short answer for the above question. If the answer is complicated or otherwise lengthy, avoid the temptation to provide a full answer here. If the answer is truly that involved, this should be answered in another thread outside of this document. The answer then should provide a brief summary or overview and direct the reader to the document providing a full coverage of the topic.​
*​
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:
Reactions: ktempleton

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Basic Info
  • Power and volume buttons on the sides, Front-facing HD camera
  • Model # KFJWA (WAN) - KFJWI (Wi-Fi)
  • Serial #
    • B0C9------Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 16GB
    • B0CA------Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 32GB
    • B0CB------Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE 32GB
    • B0CC------Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE 64GB
  • Codename: Jem
  • [REF]All Things About Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Last edited by Zeuscluts; 5th July 2014

Last edited:

KWY_73

Oct 15, 2015
Kindle Fire Dead?

I used the KFHD_SRT v 1.2 to flash the recovery with root. Device was rooted and adb enabled. When I first plug it in to the computer, the ADB drivers flash for a second then disappear again.

My other kindle fire hd 8.9 is rooted etc but I did it several months ago, and works just fine with the adb drivers and windows drivers work as well.

I got 1/2 way through the same install but figured out I didn't put the new mod on the device before I got well into the twerp recovery. So I wiped the old one and didn't have a new one. I had saved to recovery, but I couldn't get it to load. So I started searching around.

I was stuck at fastboot mode until I found the utility. I'm sure if I had only used the v 2.1 I would have been fine.
v1.2
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33156486

I currently have kffirstaide64 installed, but until I can get back into fastboot mode I don't know what to do.

direct answers as best as I know.

Which ROM or version of FireOS: Whatever the stock os was. I don't remember the version I planned on wiping it. I never got a ROM installed.

Was adb enabled at the OS level: Yes

Was device rooted: Yes

What did I flash: I tried to flash the rocovery with root for KF 7. And I'm afraid I was successful.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I used the KFHD_SRT v 1.2 to flash the recovery with root. Device was rooted and adb enabled. When I first plug it in to the computer, the ADB drivers flash for a second then disappear again.

My other kindle fire hd 8.9 is rooted etc but I did it several months ago, and works just fine with the adb drivers and windows drivers work as well.

I got 1/2 way through the same install but figured out I didn't put the new mod on the device before I got well into the twerp recovery. So I wiped the old one and didn't have a new one. I had saved to recovery, but I couldn't get it to load. So I started searching around.

I was stuck at fastboot mode until I found the utility. I'm sure if I had only used the v 2.1 I would have been fine.
v1.2
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33156486

I currently have kffirstaide64 installed, but until I can get back into fastboot mode I don't know what to do.

direct answers as best as I know.

Which ROM or version of FireOS: Whatever the stock os was. I don't remember the version I planned on wiping it. I never got a ROM installed.

Was adb enabled at the OS level: Yes

Was device rooted: Yes

What did I flash: I tried to flash the rocovery with root for KF 7. And I'm afraid I was successful.
I don't think there is any solution.

MaBothell

Oct 14, 2015
About The rom for Kindle fire 8.5.1

On the main screen, you can see a few or sometimes a lot of apps that are active on the top left corner, but when you pull down the manual, a lot of the time, the list is empty, it doesn't show the active apps or notification.

Another thing is that I can't find the setting where you can lock all the shortcuts on the main screen from being changed.

Last edited:

flobish

Jan 23, 2016
I have no idea

hi. I just joined the site bc it's the only thing left I know to do.

Problem: hd 8.9 bricked and stays only on fastboot screen

To The Best of my VERY LIMITED Knowledge: I rooted my device successfully, installed 2nd bootloader, downloaded google play services and was running that so I know it rooted. after that things get fuzzy. obviously I was in over my head and shouldn't have been messing with it. if you tech GODS can fin find it in your hearts to get past that undeniable fact, I could really use some help.

ive come to a point where im ready to pay to have this thing fixed, unless someone can help me do it myself, keeping in mind I am a SOOPERNOOB.

please and thank you:)

p.s. ive tried kindle fire utility, kf first aide, kf system recovery tool and the kf unbricker, all to no avail

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
hi. I just joined the site bc it's the only thing left I know to do.

Problem: hd 8.9 bricked and stays only on fastboot screen

To The Best of my VERY LIMITED Knowledge: I rooted my device successfully, installed 2nd bootloader, downloaded google play services and was running that so I know it rooted. after that things get fuzzy. obviously I was in over my head and shouldn't have been messing with it. if you tech GODS can fin find it in your hearts to get past that undeniable fact, I could really use some help.

ive come to a point where im ready to pay to have this thing fixed, unless someone can help me do it myself, keeping in mind I am a SOOPERNOOB.

please and thank you:)

p.s. ive tried kindle fire utility, kf first aide, kf system recovery tool and the kf unbricker, all to no avail

you have verified drivers are correct in Device manager?

Sent from my KFFOWI using XDA Labs

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
that's in the fuzzy zone. would you be able to walk me through exactly what im looking for?

something like

(If Kindle is not listed as Android>Android Composite ADB interface)
select Other Devices>Fire
Right Click>Update Driver Software
Browse my computer for Driver Software
Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer
select Android or Android Phone (or ADB Interface or Android Device)
Select Android Composite ADB interface for Stock rom or recovery/adb sideload
Select Android ADB interface for Fastboot mode
or Android Composite ADB interface
next
you may have to reboot pc

34dgcjb.png

flobish

Jan 23, 2016
something like

(If Kindle is not listed as Android>Android Composite ADB interface)
select Other Devices>Fire
Right Click>Update Driver Software
Browse my computer for Driver Software
Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer
select Android or Android Phone (or ADB Interface or Android Device)
Select Android Composite ADB interface for Stock rom or recovery/adb sideload
Select Android ADB interface for Fastboot mode
or Android Composite ADB interface
next
you may have to reboot pc

34dgcjb.png

ok this is good, but how am I getting to "android>"? what menu?

flobish

Jan 23, 2016
start/control panel /devices /device manager

alright, so the driver wasn't installed, I installed it, it said "android composite..." whatever. I opened the sr tool...yeah here I go thinking im ready to lose the training wheels already...anyway the sr tool finally did something to the device, so something must be right, the screen flashed red and its back on the fastboot screen. the sr tool says something like "please wait for device to reboot completely, etc...press any key to continue", I hit a key, then a couple lines of script and a flashing cursor. nothing happens when I hit any key...do I just keep waiting?

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
alright, so the driver wasn't installed, I installed it, it said "android composite..." whatever. I opened the sr tool...yeah here I go thinking im ready to lose the training wheels already...anyway the sr tool finally did something to the device, so something must be right, the screen flashed red and its back on the fastboot screen. the sr tool says something like "please wait for device to reboot completely, etc...press any key to continue", I hit a key, then a couple lines of script and a flashing cursor. nothing happens when I hit any key...do I just keep waiting?

may need to reboot manually

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

flobish

Jan 23, 2016
may need to reboot manually

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

ok, so I gave up on that. pretend all I did was install the driver. I was originally trying to flash...cyanogenmod, I think...im pretty sure I installed it on the kindle, so now I want to activate it. still on fb screen, btw. what do I do now?

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
ok, so I gave up on that. pretend all I did was install the driver. I was originally trying to flash...cyanogenmod, I think...im pretty sure I installed it on the kindle, so now I want to activate it. still on fb screen, btw. what do I do now?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175&page=1

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Labs

Reactions: flobish

flobish

Jan 23, 2016
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175&page=1

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Labs

did everything up to opening command line to see if java sdk is installed, and im pretty sure I did this before, but anyway, I type "javac -version" and it keeps saying its not recognized, even after I did the whole download and install again

flobish

Jan 23, 2016
did everything up to opening command line to see if java sdk is installed, and im pretty sure I did this before, but anyway, I type "javac -version" and it keeps saying its not recognized, even after I did the whole download and install again

so, any idea what I should do next? or should I re-post?

donovan03608

Jan 29, 2016
Please help. I rooted my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 using the instructions at rootkindlefire.com. I had root, but after trying to install the bootloader and TWRP recovery, I now get a red screen following the Kindle logo every time I boot it. It will not go into recovery mode at all. When it's connected to USB, it makes the connection beep sound for about 3 seconds and then makes the disconnect sound. I can see it show up as Jem-Prod04, but it disappears with the disconnect beep and the red sound simultaneously. I have read several other threads here saying to reinstall drivers manually when Jem-Prod04 pops up and I have done this, but it still won't stay connected and attempts at running the command "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" using KFFirstAide are just left with the "<waiting for device>". I have also tried rebooting the laptop to no avail. Anything else I can try or is this thing toast? Thaks for your help.

-Donovan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, but only if you are ROOTED.

There is an app on Google play store I highly recommend. I use it on the 1st gen fire tablet.

Code:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mhuang.overclocking

Setcpu. See picture.

Details at the app developer's web page. See attached pic for the address i can't post.
    I hope someone can help me with this issue. So I took my wife’s old kindle fire HD 8.9 and rooted it and installed cm-10.1 20130812-unofficial-jem. Now when I go to hook it to the tv the output in portrait mode not landscape. Any ideas how to fix it?

You can either find the all rotations in the display settings. If not you can download the appropriate Gravitybox exposed module and it will have a setting to force all rotations. Nova launcher also has an option.
    Yes, but only if you are ROOTED.

There is an app on Google play store I highly recommend. I use it on the 1st gen fire tablet.

Code:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mhuang.overclocking

Setcpu. See picture.

Details at the app developer's web page. See attached pic for the address i can't post.
    I have a kindle fire hd 8.9 that I bricked ages ago I believe is 2nd gen (about 2 years to be exact.) Now I'm in high school and I desperately need this for books abound reaserching. I do have a phone but It's just not right. (Personal preference)

I don't exactly remember what I did but I do know what I was trying g to achieve. I'll try to keep it as descriptive as possible.

So one day I ran into a problem on Google play. (I sideloaded it) it said that my device was not compatible. So I went online and saw this youtube video. I don't remember what it was called. But it told me to modify a file. I forgot which one it was but it had something to do with the device info and model. Than reboot. This is where it began.

I'm in a bootloop. I'm not sure if this is just happening to me or its 3 very ones but whatever bootloop video I watched the kindle fire logo was kn the horizontal side. Mine is rotated 90 degrees so the device has to be phisically horizontal. It's been like that ever since.

I did install twrp and safe strap installed. But now they're just gone. I can't access either of them.

(The logo sign is orange and white and it still has the charging animation when it is out of battery. Pls help. I don't want to buy another one.)

Any help is welcome.
    Make sure you have fastboot working on your computer, and hold the power button on your Kindle for 10 seconds to completely turn it off before continuing. Type fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product into command prompt, and then plug the Kindle in when you get <waiting for device>. You should get a line beginning with "Jem-PVT" when the Kindle starts, and the Kindle should display "fastboot mode" on the screen as well. If you've made it this far, you're halfway there. Just download the files and flash as directed in step 5 of Hashcode's 2nd bootloader thread. Once you're back to a working state, make sure to backup the boot0 block as directed in step 1 of that same thread. It identifies your Kindle when the stock OS tries to authenticate your Amazon account. If this block is wiped, the authentication can't proceed.

Sent from my Amazon Jem using XDA Labs
    I have a Fire HD 8.9 (v8.5.1). I'm considering rooting and flashing, but reading through many of the threads (including the stickies and FAQs ) gives me a lot of conflicting information. Where is the most *current* information on rooting and flashing this model?
    This thread will help you. Just make sure that instead of flashing TWRP 2.7.0.0 as directed, you flash either TWRP 2.8.7.x or 3.x, both of which are available in the 8.9" development forums. Happy flashing! :)

Sent from my Amazon Jem using XDA Labs
    Basic Info
    • Power and volume buttons on the sides, Front-facing HD camera
    • Model # KFJWA (WAN) - KFJWI (Wi-Fi)
    • Serial #
      • B0C9------Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 16GB
      • B0CA------Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 32GB
      • B0CB------Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE 32GB
      • B0CC------Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE 64GB
    • Codename: Jem
    • [REF]All Things About Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Last edited by Zeuscluts; 5th July 2014