[Help Thread][Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10](5th Gen) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
[SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
5th Gen Only (2015)

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
attachment.php
List of supporters

@sd_shadow
...​
To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
Please look for a similar [HELP THREAD] when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a similar [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: Which Amazon (Kindle) Fire Do I have?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q2: Can it be rooted?[/SIZE]
Yes, System version 5.0.1, 5.1.1, and 5.1.2 can be rooted with Kingroot

Root System Version 5.1.2.1, 5.1.3, 5.1.4see Index

[SIZE=+1]Q3: "There was a problem communicating with Google servers"?[/SIZE]
This worked for me...

"turn on 2-step authentication. after doing that i happily came across the error “couldn’t sign in: to access your account you must sign in on the web. touch next to start browser sign in.” which i knew would work. case solved for my issue. hope this helps others."

[SIZE=+1]Q4: "Can the Firmware be downgraded?[/SIZE]

5.1.4 might be downgradable to 5.1.2 not sure yet
5.1.3, 5.1.2.1, 5.1.2 cannot be downgraded to 5.1.1 or lower
trying to downgrade lower than 5.1.2 will brick the Fire (2015 7in, HD8 and HD10)
5.1.1 cannot be downgraded, trying will brick the Fire (2015 7in, HD8 and HD10)
see Unbrick/Restore/Downgrade Stock Firmware [Amazon Fire HD 8 & 10]

*​
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:

bharadwajm07

Jun 25, 2014
laurel
Ext sd card

Has anyone figured out how to write to the sd card using an app. I can't seem to be able to give es file explorer permission to write to the card. When I have to choose the root of the sd card it only shows me the internal memory and not the external one. If anyone has a solution for this please share.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Has anyone figured out how to write to the sd card using an app. I can't seem to be able to give es file explorer permission to write to the card. When I have to choose the root of the sd card it only shows me the internal memory and not the external one. If anyone has a solution for this please share.
Need root access to change rw permissions

Prathusaf

Jun 11, 2015
Testing kindle adb sideload downgrade

Hello, I am testing kindle fire hd 8" ADB sideload downgrade. What happen is that I updated my kindle without knowing that I would loase the ability to root, so I am figuring out a way to downgrade so I can root my kindle. Success! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D! imgur dot com/iSeagmq

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

Actually it got my Kindle in boot loop :( anyone got a fix?

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hello, I am testing kindle fire hd 8" ADB sideload downgrade. What happen is that I updated my kindle without knowing that I would loase the ability to root, so I am figuring out a way to downgrade so I can root my kindle. Success! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D! imgur dot com/iSeagmq

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

Actually it got my Kindle in boot loop :( anyone got a fix?
HD8 is not rootable on any system version

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Hummel91

Dec 25, 2015
set default launcher

Hi, does anybody know how to set apps as default? I can install any launchers but when I press the home button, the amazon launcher immediately is started, without asking me which launcher I wanna start.

fire105

Dec 25, 2015
root/rom on Fire HD 10 5th Generation with 5.0.0

Hi, I wasn't able to post to some of the developer threads so I'll ask my dumb questions here.

I have a Fire HD 10 (5th Generation) that is still running 5.0.0, would this be helpful at all or make root/rom possible for me? I am getting kind of confused about which roots are working on Fire 7 and which are working on other Fire HDs. Is the root + CM12 with FlashFire that people are mentioning only applicable to Fire 7 5th Gen 5.1.1?

Assuming root is not currently possible on Fire HD 10 5th Gen with 5.0.0: should I continue to hold out and not connect the device to the internet? Is there a way to block OTA so I can keep my older OS (which I am assuming will be easier to root at some point)? I did successfully root a Fire 7 5th Gen using the TWRP + CM12 method discussed elsewhere. I noticed that part of the RootJunky batch tool I used in that case has an option to block OTA from Amazon, anyone know if I could use that to keep 5.0.0 on my Fire HD 10 5th Gen until more development occurs?

TIA

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hi, I wasn't able to post to some of the developer threads so I'll ask my dumb questions here.

I have a Fire HD 10 (5th Generation) that is still running 5.0.0, would this be helpful at all or make root/rom possible for me? I am getting kind of confused about which roots are working on Fire 7 and which are working on other Fire HDs. Is the root + CM12 with FlashFire that people are mentioning only applicable to Fire 7 5th Gen 5.1.1?

Assuming root is not currently possible on Fire HD 10 5th Gen with 5.0.0: should I continue to hold out and not connect the device to the internet? Is there a way to block OTA so I can keep my older OS (which I am assuming will be easier to root at some point)? I did successfully root a Fire 7 5th Gen using the TWRP + CM12 method discussed elsewhere. I noticed that part of the RootJunky batch tool I used in that case has an option to block OTA from Amazon, anyone know if I could use that to keep 5.0.0 on my Fire HD 10 5th Gen until more development occurs?

TIA
there is no root for the HD10 or HD8, any system version.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Fire8

Dec 27, 2015
Just got the Fire HD 8 for christmas and wow is this OS a piece of ****. If you know anyone working on a root or anyone making any progress on the 8 or 10 let me know where to look, i'm willing to donate just to get this Android device to behave like a real Android device and not some Amazon marketing garbage!

fire105

Dec 25, 2015
Just got the Fire HD 8 for christmas and wow is this OS a piece of ****. If you know anyone working on a root or anyone making any progress on the 8 or 10 let me know where to look, i'm willing to donate just to get this Android device to behave like a real Android device and not some Amazon marketing garbage!

yea i could also send some btc to someone making progress

just fyi, i guess ive just been monitoring these two threads as well but nothing hopeful there as of yet:
http://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/general/starts-shipping-september-30-2015-t3205450
http://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/development/root-amazon-fire-hd-8-10-5th-gen-2015-t3240024

slippyjim

Sep 17, 2014
Hi,

My friend has a Fire HD 10 5th gen running OS 5.1.1 and she needs to get a VPN on it so she can still use her Amazon prime account when she is abroad.
Can this be achieved ? Do I need to downgrade the OS? Is this even possible?

Thanks

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hi,

My friend has a Fire HD 10 5th gen running OS 5.1.1 and she needs to get a VPN on it so she can still use her Amazon prime account when she is abroad.
Can this be achieved ? Do I need to downgrade the OS? Is this even possible?

Thanks
not sure if VPN will work, it should, may need to adb hide some amazon apps.
cannot downgrade 5.1.1

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

behradbv

Aug 1, 2015
Tehran
Hi dear friends.
I've recently upgraded my Fire HD 8 to 5.1.1
I wonder that if I can root it? if yes, please guide me (step by step please! :D)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
    5th Gen Only (2015)

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters

@sd_shadow
    ...​
    To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
    Please look for a similar [HELP THREAD] when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a similar [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    Take a look at this.

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3240024

Jump down to post 15 or so. Shadow helped me out and it might help you.

I pray that helps
    Ed

Yes thanks. I was in fact finally able to boot into recovery, at which point I was able to use adb. I was able to fix the tablet by using some of the Root Toolkit. Then after I got it up and running, I traced the source of the original problem to a corrupted sd card. After removing it, performance was flawless. ( as I was copying the data from the defective card to my laptop, I got many errors about "the file is not found on the card" which I took as confirmation that the card or the data on it was messed up.) I had another sd card which I put into the Fire, works just fine.:laugh::good:

Currently System Version 5.1.2 cannot be rooted​
    Can you tell me how you "rooted" your kindle HD 8 please and what tools you used?
    Fire OS 5.3.1.0 was the last version to be rootable, for all Fires except the 7th gen HD 10.
    Do not attempt to downgrade.

Sent from my Gemini 4G using Tapatalk