Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Zai23

Sep 2, 2018
It's not possible.
Of course there have been others who have tried. This is a mobile device development forum after all. It's been tried before several times, but it won't work.
Like said in an earlier post, WindowsOS for mobile is much different than Widows for PC. The Android SDK won't run on the mobile version of Windows, and won't run on Android obviously because it's based on Linux.

I'm not thinking of trying to run windows in android. Linux is what I wanted to run emulated in UserLand on an android phone.

TheGiantHogweed

Nov 13, 2018
Using a portable power bank works as well, it doesn't require the devices wall charger and cable.

Here are a couple of different ways to use a hub.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YDtc37u9Kvo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc0xQaXV-mI

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
P1040014.jpg
P1040015.jpg

I have since bought another type C Hub. It seems that different branded ones do work differently even though they have the same features. My USB meter always said the Lenovo one was using about 0.3a at 5v even if it wasn't plugged into the tablet. And plugging the fixed type c cable into the tablet made no difference to that number.

This new one that I have got is this here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DRFD5Q2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It may not be able to charge my tablet at 6v 3A like one of my pictures show without using the hub, but it can still manage close to 1A at 5v, which at least does charge it while the hub is in use. That is all I was after really. It was also £10 cheaper than my Lenovo hub so has worked out well.

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Hello! I was just wondering why xda labs needs to run in the background.
It runs in the background so it can regularly scan for activity relevant to you, such as when someone sends you a PM or when someone quotes one of your posts or replies to one of your posts/threads, that way it can notify you as soon as the activity occurs.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

saurabh6377

May 13, 2017
Jaipur
My device wont boot if I flash any custom kernel or magisk. The reason is due to boot image, it needs patches so as to boot since I have locked bootloader and flashing magisk involves unpacking and repacking boot image which undo my patch and prevents booting. I solved the problem with magisk by installing magisk manager and rooting stock boot image, and then patching the rooted boot image and then flashed via twrp (boot was successful).

by stock boot image I mean unmodified boot image that came with custom rom.

But the problem is with custom kernel, first my question is what does flashing a custom kernel do? I know it has everything to do with boot image, so theoretically we can modify the stock boot image just like magisk manager did, can we? and how? And then I will apply my patch so that it will boot and flash the boot image via twrp and new custom kernel will be installed.

Klaw12

Dec 20, 2017
Need help with downgrade [SM-N960U]

Verizon released their android 9 pie update recently, and I decided to update to that. I had a beta version (CRJ9) and I needed to downgrade to arl1 in order to receive the OTA update. After flashing it in Odin, I try to boot and it says "SS RDX; Kernel Panic!"

Is there anything I can do about this, or am I left with a very expensive brick?

EDIT: I tried to flash using my old s8 cable, and Odin decided to work this time. Phone is working again!

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
My device wont boot if I flash any custom kernel or magisk. The reason is due to boot image, it needs patches so as to boot since I have locked bootloader and flashing magisk involves unpacking and repacking boot image which undo my patch and prevents booting. I solved the problem with magisk by installing magisk manager and rooting stock boot image, and then patching the rooted boot image and then flashed via twrp (boot was successful).

by stock boot image I mean unmodified boot image that came with custom rom.

But the problem is with custom kernel, first my question is what does flashing a custom kernel do? I know it has everything to do with boot image, so theoretically we can modify the stock boot image just like magisk manager did, can we? and how? And then I will apply my patch so that it will boot and flash the boot image via twrp and new custom kernel will be installed.

It´ll depend on which trick you are using to bypass the bootloader security, on Miui stock roms you can have a modified/patched boot image and expect that system boots but most likely it won´t accept a modified kernel.

On locked bootloader once you succesfully flashed and booted to TWRP and after succesfully flashed and booted to any rom including stock one (flashing update through TWRP) you no longer will need to patch a boot image to boot to system cause bootloader security (for boot restriction) was broken atleast you wrongfully flash through MiFlash tool the stock rom again (including recovery) you will return to stock state and bootloader security will be restore again (for boot restriction and fastboot wide-use)

Is it not better to wait the time to unlock bootloader to customize your device to your liking? Xiaomi gives actually 15 days on devices that don´t be expected to massive sellings.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Verizon released their android 9 pie update recently, and I decided to update to that. I had a beta version (CRJ9) and I needed to downgrade to arl1 in order to receive the OTA update. After flashing it in Odin, I try to boot and it says "SS RDX; Kernel Panic!"

Is there anything I can do about this, or am I left with a very expensive brick?

You didn´t need to downgrade to Oreo to wait for an OTA upgrade if you found your way to use and flash through Odin and recovery firmwares, just you needed to download the update from firmware.science and go on.

Samsung devices and most likely newer and most yet branded ones has its own specific firmware to switch from one to another to stay in safe zone so some of them can´t be flashed from the actual firmware. Also is highly recommendable to reset/wipe data before through stock recovery and then in Odin to use CSC_OYN to wipe precedent settings.

This post can help you and also the member helped me a lot with my last GN8 so both devices share similar firmware sequence don´t be afraid to ask him for help https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79041119&postcount=20 of course it could be many more shots on your trouble but I hope that it helps you.

Last edited:

saurabh6377

May 13, 2017
Jaipur
It´ll depend on which trick you are using to bypass the bootloader security, on Miui stock roms you can have a modified/patched boot image and expect that system boots but most likely it won´t accept a modified kernel.

On locked bootloader once you succesfully flashed and booted to TWRP and after succesfully flashed and booted to any rom including stock one (flashing update through TWRP) you no longer will need to patch a boot image to boot to system cause bootloader security (for boot restriction) was broken atleast you wrongfully flash through MiFlash tool the stock rom again (including recovery) you will return to stock state and bootloader security will be restore again (for boot restriction and fastboot wide-use)

Is it not better to wait the time to unlock bootloader to customize your device to your liking? Xiaomi gives actually 15 days on devices that don´t be expected to massive sellings.

Yes, stock miui does not accept modified kernel, I cannot even flash rooted boot image (made using magisk manager), but with custom rom there are no issues.

I cannot unlock, there are three different kinds of errors showing up when I try to add my account, but since I am currently on custom rom and twrp flashed unlocking bootloader does not matter to me.

What my patch do is set the image verification key in boot image to return a large value so that it cannot be verfied, and system has to boot normally. It is bug in aboot.

After googling a lot, to flash custom kernel what I did was to extract boot image from android image kitchen and replacing boot.img-zimage with zimage of custom kernel then I repacked and applied the patch and flashed it through twrp, it worked.

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC

You didn't necessarily have to try downgrading to receive the update. You could have just manually downloaded the update from the internet then depending on what type of file the update is, if it was a stock update.zip you could have used stock recovery, if it was a .tar.md5 you could have flashed the update via Odin.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Yes, stock miui does not accept modified kernel, I cannot even flash rooted boot image (made using magisk manager), but with custom rom there are no issues.

I cannot unlock, there are three different kinds of errors showing up when I try to add my account, but since I am currently on custom rom and twrp flashed unlocking bootloader does not matter to me.

What my patch do is set the image verification key in boot image to return a large value so that it cannot be verfied, and system has to boot normally. It is bug in aboot.

After googling a lot, to flash custom kernel what I did was to extract boot image from android image kitchen and replacing boot.img-zimage with zimage of custom kernel then I repacked and applied the patch and flashed it through twrp, it worked.

Ok, I guess that you read all out there about how to bind an account, there are many tricks that can bypass this, just I didn´t find till now two reasons to not sort it: An old account linked to the device that was not removed and a replaced piece like a motherboard that probably in the same way an account was linked before from the old user.

Just one thing about that you patch the boot constantly, as far as I know you don´t need to patch the boot everytime that you flash a custom rom in order to boot to system, if you bypassed bootloader security just for one time you have to do the next:
- Flash a custom rom based on miui like this https://mi-globe.com/rom-builder-features/?codename=riva&img=redmi5a.png&realname=RedMi+5A (compare the files in firmware folder inside the zip with that you needed to patch that it doesn´t contain) reboot to system and unlink your account. (the first reboot to a custom miui rom can take about 12 minutes so be patient)
- Wipe cache, dalvik and Format Data (you´ll lose your data), this will break encryption.
- Flash the custom rom desired and GApps if needed.
- Flash Magisk.
- Flash custom kernel if desired and if is compatible with the rom.
- Move to your SDcard a DM-verity file, in the case that you additionally need to flash it.

Of course read carefully what rom´s developer recommend, sometimes you´ll need to reboot first to system and then again to recovery to flash some root solution and/or a custom kernel so the sequence may vary.

Whiterabbit818

Nov 21, 2018
Cheney
Complete noob with limited knowledge

Hey guys, so, I have a basic understanding of how to root, tweak, and modify an android phone, primarily various LG phones. But I was curious, is there a way to emulate an older android OS, like 4.1, on a newer android phone, (8.1.0) so as to practice root or even use to full potential as a (emulated) fully rooted phone?

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
Is there a way to have an active subscribtion (i can pay for it on my tablet, the phone simply cant handle google play services, since just 512 mb lf ram) to Google Play Music and to have both google play store app and google play services app disabled ?

The phone is an Acer Z130, rooted, twrp installed. Anything i can do ?

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Hey guys, so, I have a basic understanding of how to root, tweak, and modify an android phone, primarily various LG phones. But I was curious, is there a way to emulate an older android OS, like 4.1, on a newer android phone, (8.1.0) so as to practice root or even use to full potential as a (emulated) fully rooted phone?

Search same thing a few years back, nope there isnt. There are only pc based emulators running android.

kimpot04

Jan 25, 2016
Batangas City
Hi. Is there any app to make the fingerprint off when screen is off?
I sometimes touch my fingerprint scanner on my pocket accidentally and makes the screen on and do some stuffs. I just want it to work when the screen is only on

PS. do not recommend "remove fingerprint lockscreen" hahaXD

And another question

Is there also any app (root) which disables removal of apps from the recent apps list? even if you swipe the app or restart the phone, the app will remain on the list.

Thank you.

irish-sid

Aug 18, 2011
I don't know where to post this for a reply

Galaxy s8 or Huawei mate 20 lite?

Both work out about the same price. Huawei is new, s8 is used.
If you could say why when you choose a device that'd be helpful

Top Liked Posts

Hi guys i'm new here and i don't know if i am writing my request at the right place. if i am not i am sorry.i have a lenovo tab 4 10 plus (TB-x704L) and i think that i bricked my device.i had the android 10,but i didn't like it and i have decided to put again the stock rom(7.1).i tried with qfil and with the lenovo rescue and smart assistance and i probably did something wrong and now my tablet cannot be recognizable by windows(minimal and fastboot don't find the device),but the most importan is that i can't get to the andoid home screen,always reboots at the set up android stage.i tried with qfil again,some imgs takes them some others not (sahara problem or it doesn't find any port).I tried to search the forum about this,but i didn't find anything.Please someone help me.Luckily the tablet has waranty until august,but i am afraid that they will tell me that it is my fault and they will ask me to pay.Thank you.
    Sorry, I doubt that a device that was shipped with 7.1 reached A10 anyway devices since MM don´t admit downgrades.

The better would be try to restore the firmware that was the latest upgrade.

If this is succesfull atleast to flash it but some stuffs won´t work anymore then you should claim your warranty.
    it reached a10 with custom rom.Lenovo stoped at 7.1 .And ok say i restore the custom rom with a10.How? my device doesn't open,i can't install twrp,i can't do debug,the windows don't recognize the tablet because it doesn't open,when i connect the tablet to the pc,the tablet just charge and when i try to open it ,it reboots in 10 seconds.
    Well, this is quite different, stock and custom ROMs have different ways to be applied.

Better now is try to restore the stock ROM that will put the things in its proper place, You shouldn´t use qfil for this, it could end by causing more damage than solution to your device if it is not correctly used, you should use the official tool for your device https://androidmtk.com/download-lenovo-downloader I hope that it solves your mistake.
    Hi friends
    I was thinking about some custom rom for my old pal (galaxy note 8 F950, Exynos) to bring me android 11 experience. some sites recommend lineage os 18.1 but there is no official directory of such version for galaxy note 8 (phone, not tablet) on lineage site (neither galaxy S8). so I'm wondering that is it safe to use the provided rom (18.1) on my phone?
    also I can't find any user's exprerience of 18.1 lineage os on galaxy note 8.
    thanks for reading this.

If there is no custom ROM for your device then you should not flash anything that is for a different device.

The most you should do is taking a look if your device has treble support, if it can be unlocked and some GSI can be flashed for it.
    it reached a10 with custom rom.Lenovo stoped at 7.1 .And ok say i restore the custom rom with a10.How? my device doesn't open,i can't install twrp,i can't do debug,the windows don't recognize the tablet because it doesn't open,when i connect the tablet to the pc,the tablet just charge and when i try to open it ,it reboots in 10 seconds.
    Well, this is quite different, stock and custom ROMs have different ways to be applied.

Better now is try to restore the stock ROM that will put the things in its proper place, You shouldn´t use qfil for this, it could end by causing more damage than solution to your device if it is not correctly used, you should use the official tool for your device https://androidmtk.com/download-lenovo-downloader I hope that it solves your mistake.
    Yes, there are ROMs for my device, and I tried them, but even after being flashed successfully, each of them are giving blue screen after the zuk logo comes before booting to anything, I don't know, I flashed my device again and currently it is the start of the setup screen (I can't set it up because the screen is totally shattered and I will get it changed when I'd be allowed to go out), and I am not going to do anything to it till I get the screen replaced, but I am just not able to figure out why I see the blue screen after flashing any custom ROM via TWRP, whereas the Chinese version for ZUI worked, since you just told me about what I could have done with IMEI partition, I will check it via adb or fastboot commands (last time it was blank), its feeling like I am stuck with single ROM only.

Well, as I said you previously the Chinese ROM is not friendly to switch to other due to the incompatibility of the drivers used in the firmware that comes with a specific display for the Chinese region, this may be the reason why now there´s nothing projecting onto display and about that, Why do you think that the screen needs to be replaced, it could be due to the reason mentioned or in the process to reassemble the device some part got disconnected as a sort of false contact.
    You mean I should search the keywords like IMEI restore tool!!
    Yes. Also read about what QPST/qfil can do, If I don´t remember bad it also has this feature in-built.
    Let me tell you, there are a good number of ROMs for my device (but I really miss pixel experience, earlier the official ROM was available and I wanted it, but currently only unofficial), not many kernels though, and I want to ask that, 'being on a older ROMs (having an older version of the bootloader, affects the functionality of TWRP)??
    I am on nougat ZUI (ZUI 2.5) now, and the time when I rooted my device 4 months ago and flashed TWRP, everything was working as it should be, will it work now??
    And I also want to ask how to restore the IMEI number in the box of my phone?? I know you would hesitate to tell even if you know so all I want to request you is, 'can you please guide me where I can get the solution??'

Of course TWRP will work as it was working before anyway TWRP is adapted/updated for custom ROMs from time to time I mean if development of custom ROMs stopped then TWRP also will stop at this point.

As per the IMEI recovering process only can say you that is incredible easy enough always that is recoverable I mean only in the case you didn´t do something extreme and this piece of hardware where IMEI is hardcoded wasn´t damaged but I can´t guide you on that so is a grey area where I never transit.
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone