[HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly.

Did you find this thread useful?

• Yes, it was very helpful to me.

Votes: 1,674 64.1%
  • No, I didn't feel it helped me.

Votes: 433 16.6%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 505 19.3%

• Total voters

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Those are two different phones. Flashing a custom rom from different phone will result in a hard brick (= your phone will become unresponsive). It's like trying to bake a cake and instead of eggs you put cabbage. Won't work. Don't do such terrible thing please. You need to find a custom rom which was made exclusively for your phone. Nothing else works.
More like using cement instead of flour. ;)

Reactions: Fytdyh

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
i have another question . 2 days ago , i was having problems with a tablet: lenovo idea tab s5000 , when i turned it on, it was stuck in the logo. i went into recovery mode and tried to take the system to the factory with wipe data/factory reset, however, when i press restart system, instead of running the whole system, it went back into recovery. i tried to install the factory rom with adb sideloader and it told me that the installation had been aborted. what can i do in this situation???
Your system become corrupted. Either an app you ve downloaded or something else. Either way, you need to flash the stock rom over it. See this link

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Can someone. Please explain to me how can i download programs that are designed to run on computer on my android an then save them to my sd card an the place sd card into computer an install the programs to computer
Any third party android browser should be capable of handling such task, would recommend opera or Vivaldi. You would need to open the webpage in desktop mode, in order to access the downloads made for pc.

As a side note, if your data plan/ wifi connection allows you, there is a setting in almost every smartphone, called USB tethering. Basically, if you connect your smartphone with the cable to your computer and enable that setting, your smartphone become an extender. Since smartphones are more sensible to internet than laptops, that might help your situation.

gogae22

Jan 16, 2021
hello
i want to remove one ui from my A51 because I want to use google assistant on lock screen instead of bixby. I understood I need to use odin but can't find a proper android version. Can you suggest one? Probably the one that is installed on google pixel?

zappigan

Apr 28, 2020
I'm working on a device tree and my device has a product partition in addition to a vendor partition. Should I create the product partition in my device tree or just move everything from there into vendor?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I'm working on a device tree and my device has a product partition in addition to a vendor partition. Should I create the product partition in my device tree or just move everything from there into vendor?
You may get more targeted help on the thread

zappigan

Apr 28, 2020

BreakoutTom

Jan 17, 2021
Hello all.
I'm new to XDA and find it quite confusing (actually, that's the reason why I'm new : I discovered the website a few years ago but couln't make head or tails of it).
Is there an iOS section somewhere ?
Search gives me a few forum threads about iPhones (but nothing concerning my trouble) but not in a specific part of the forum, at least that I can identify.

Anyway, I need to perform a full filesystem extraction of an old iPhone SE with iOS 11.2.5 on it, and I have trouble finding good documentation/howtos about it.
From what I've read so far I need to jailbreak the device to do that, and the checkra1n exploit should make it possible.
And I found very basic information about how to use checkra1n to jailbreak the phone, but not anything explaining how to bypass the problems I have when trying this method.

So, is there some good place to search for such howtos (inside XDA or outside of it) ?

Thanks in advance !

Unrelated question : I found forum categories concerning devices, but not OSes ? Where to post a question about problem with one specific fork of Android.?

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hello all.
I'm new to XDA and find it quite confusing (actually, that's the reason why I'm new : I discovered the website a few years ago but couln't make head or tails of it).
Is there an iOS section somewhere ?
Search gives me a few forum threads about iPhones (but nothing concerning my trouble) but not in a specific part of the forum, at least that I can identify.

Anyway, I need to perform a full filesystem extraction of an old iPhone SE with iOS 11.2.5 on it, and I have trouble finding good documentation/howtos about it.
From what I've read so far I need to jailbreak the device to do that, and the checkra1n exploit should make it possible.
And I found very basic information about how to use checkra1n to jailbreak the phone, but not anything explaining how to bypass the problems I have when trying this method.

So, is there some good place to search for such howtos (inside XDA or outside of it) ?

Thanks in advance !

Unrelated question : I found forum categories concerning devices, but not OSes ? Where to post a question about problem with one specific fork of Android.?
For ios, you might find a few forums on xda, sure. Seems on reddit there is a strong community for ios, here is the link

For your second question, think it through and you can post it here. A forum made for each iteration of android and its custom rom would have been pointless. If bugs happen, you might discover your solution by hopping from one subthread to another. If not, simply post here and someone will respond.

Jan 17, 2021
Hi,

I recently bought a Chinese knock off of a Mate 40 pro max, it has come with a modified version of Android that's truly aweful and slow (considering it has 12Gb of ram) I was looking to swap to any custom ROM that it will take.

If you could give a little guidance on what version I should install for this device that would be much appreciated.

Thabks

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Hnojohn

May 16, 2020
My PC specs: 4gb RAM i5cpu 500GB HDD

Linux OS in Virtual Box. My Main OS is Windows 10. can i Compile/Make an Android Kernel in Linux Virtual Box? even i only have 4GB ram?

Last edited:

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi,

I recently bought a Chinese knock off of a Mate 40 pro max, it has come with a modified version of Android that's truly aweful and slow (considering it has 12Gb of ram) I was looking to swap to any custom ROM that it will take.

If you could give a little guidance on what version I should install for this device that would be much appreciated.

Thabks
Well, that's quite the unknown. There are many variables that you don't know, the state of the bootloader, if it supports rooting etc. You could simply try to open the bootloader without any code, if it doesn't work try reading the bootloader with dc unlocker (from 4€ to 15€). Since this is a fake, there is no guarantee that any of this will work. You might need to make a custom recovery yourself, since there isn't any for your phone. Also, custom roms made exactly for a fake like yours don't exist. Your best bet would be treble roms, see gsi github. If all this aren't working, you could patch the boot image with magisk and flash it with sp flash tool, since this phone seems to use mediatek.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015

Linux OS in Virtual Box. My Main OS is Windows 10. can i Compile/Make a Kernel in Linux Virtual Box? even i only have 4GB ram?
This is not a pc based forum. Would recommend to search somewhere else. Second, you could just boot Linux from USB, might be a better option than booting Linux in a virtual box on top of windows. In 4 gigs of ram, you will encounter problems.

Jan 17, 2021
Well, that's quite the unknown. There are many variables that you don't know, the state of the bootloader, if it supports rooting etc. You could simply try to open the bootloader without any code, if it doesn't work try reading the bootloader with dc unlocker (from 4€ to 15€). Since this is a fake, there is no guarantee that any of this will work. You might need to make a custom recovery yourself, since there isn't any for your phone. Also, custom roms made exactly for a fake like yours don't exist. Your best bet would be treble roms, see gsi github. If all this aren't working, you could patch the boot image with magisk and flash it with sp flash tool, since this phone seems to use mediatek.

Hi,

I believe the bootloader can be unlocked through the Dev tools section of the settings (see image). If that's the case would you be able to point me in the right direction on what I should do and the guides to do it.

Thank you for your reply.

Attachments

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi,

I believe the bootloader can be unlocked through the Dev tools section of the settings (see image). If that's the case would you be able to point me in the right direction on what I should do and the guides to do it.

Thank you for your reply.
That's the first step. Next you would need to boot into fastboot mode and send the command to unlock the bootloader. That option in developer option only allows for its unlocking, doesn't unlocks it.

I want to motify a MIUI ROM( MIUI 12 ), but I can't mount the "system.img" file in my Ubuntu system.
I'm using mount command like that:
"sudo mount -t ext2 -o loop system.img /mnt/system" '/mnt/system' is a folder a created using mkdir
I got such output: "mount: /mnt/system: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop9, missing codepage or helper program, or other error."
The output of 'file' command:
"system.img: Linux rev 1.0 ext2 filesystem data, UUID=8d63fcde-560d-52f8-a382-c8a8da0768d7 (extents) (large files) (huge files)"
The way I get 'system.img' file from 'system.new.dat.br' file as follows:
"
brotli -d system.new.dat.br
git clone https://github.com/xpirt/sdat2img
cd sdat2img
python sdat2img.py ../system.transfer.list ../system.new.dat
"

Could anybody help me? Thanks!

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney

Linux OS in Virtual Box. My Main OS is Windows 10. can i Compile/Make a Kernel in Linux Virtual Box? even i only have 4GB ram?
It think 4GB is not enough, especially using a VM (where the host needs a big chunk of mem to run the VM). The min I have heard of is 8GB, and thats not using a VM. But I would search and read the thread

And more specifically to compile a kernel. Maybe that takes less mem.

I personally build on Win7 64 running Oracle VBox on a pc with 24GB.

This is not a pc based forum. Would recommend to search somewhere else. Second, you could just boot Linux from USB, might be a better option than booting Linux in a virtual box on top of windows. In 4 gigs of ram, you will encounter problems.
This thread may not be the best, but it is "ask anything" and I have seen even more PC closed questions handled eagerly (I was surprised myself), and his question IS about compiling ANDROID. Just the wrong thread.

Reactions: Fytdyh

carlos567

Jan 15, 2021
Your system become corrupted. Either an app you ve downloaded or something else. Either way, you need to flash the stock rom over it. See this link
there is a problem , when i flash it , it say "rom changed , select format + download and restart again" , but when i do click in that option, automatically select the preloader option , and the guide said that option must be desactivated, what can i do???????

Hnojohn

May 16, 2020
It think 4GB is not enough, especially using a VM (where the host needs a big chunk of mem to run the VM). The min I have heard of is 8GB, and thats not using a VM. But I would search and read the thread

And more specifically to compile a kernel. Maybe that takes less mem.

I personally build on Win7 64 running Oracle VBox on a pc with 24GB.

This thread may not be the best, but it is "ask anything" and I have seen even more PC closed questions handled eagerly (I was surprised myself), and his question IS about compiling ANDROID. Just the wrong thread.
Okay Thank you for Replying, and yet I'm Sorry for Asking non-sense Question in the Wrong Thread

DragonFire1024

Mar 27, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
www.twitter.com
Ok I got LGUP to at least acknowledge my LGE LM-K500 (LMK500UM, LG K51). it gets as far as checking anti rollback before it errors out.

Code:
Device product name has changed.
TMO_US -> NAS_US
I can get firmware for TMO, VZW, METRO PCS. To my knowledge and I could be wrong I have never seen anything for any firmware on any device that is NAS. so unless I can find a firmware file for that product or I'm able to pull firmware from my product then I think it's dead in the water in terms of being able to root until a piece of firmware comes out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.