Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Spookis1

Jul 10, 2015
Hey, I have recently installed EdXposed framework through magisk and i don't passed safetynet anymore, i've read i should update EdXposed to the canary version but it doesn't seem to help. Does anyone have the same issue with the newest EdXposed version (45700)? Also what is strange to me is that even though the safetynet fails, i can still use Gpay, should i be worried that it will stop working at some point in time?

Mikegaming202

Jan 23, 2021
Hi, So im trying to root my Lenovo TB-8045F and im following the steps on this XDA tutroial, but when I enter fast boot my tablet is considered "disconnected" from my pc and it wont allow me to do any more adb commands to it, what do I do to fix this so I can ocntinue the root proccess?

mangoduck

Jan 23, 2021
Android 10 hides the Files app, so it doesn't show up in the app drawer (it tries to force you to use "Files by Google" instead). Is there an easy way to un-hide it, or put it on the home screen?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Reactions: galaxys

voraciousb

Jan 23, 2021
Hello folks. Just new to rooting. I've been trying read as much as I can and I was wondering if it is possible to install TWRP and root without a custom boot kernel?

Regards,

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hello folks. Just new to rooting. I've been trying read as much as I can and I was wondering if it is possible to install TWRP and root without a custom boot kernel?

Regards,
Yes, totally possible. A custom kernel is required only if you want to overclock. You do need your bootloader to be unlocked though.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Hi, I have a Revvl 4 model 5007W, android 10 and it keeps killing my apps in the background so I have tried whitelisting my apps that didn't work, then I tried
Code:
 adb shell cmd appops set package_name RUN_ANY_IN_BACKGROUND allow
That didn't work either, and I've tried
Code:
adb shell cmd appops set package_name WAKE_LOCK allow
That didn't work too. I have also tried don'tkillmyapps wasnt any help at all just kept saying 100%. Is there any other method that I could try?
The following may do the same thing, but in settings, under developer options, there is a "background process limit" setting. Yours sounds like it is set to none.

Also, the another thing to look into is your LMK settings.

EDIT:almost forgot, you couldalso look into playing with OOM settings. Alhough it could be a lot of maintenance for daily/actual use, there is a "superman" type setting.
and, just thought, are you saying your music player is killed when you switch away from it?

Jimmy Stat

Mar 10, 2019
NYC & Louisville
can anyone help me install the Proton AOSP Custom Rom onto my pixel 5. I have succesfully rooted it with Magisk Canary and passed Safetynet. But im a little confused on how to flash this zip file bc everytime i flash it im getting this in command prompt:

what I've been doing is downloading the file to my PC (obviously) and when its done and in my downloads, i copy it over to my platform tools directory and then i try
"fastboot flash the drag and drop the zip file as well as Fastboot boot etc.,

BC This is what ive been getting:
C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1.zip
unknown partition 'C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1.zip'
fastboot: error: cannot determine image filename for 'C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1.zip'

and now this fof Fastboot boot ZipFile
C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools>fastboot boot C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1-gapps.zip
creating boot image...
terminating with uncaught exception of type std::bad_alloc: std::bad_alloc

but what im not understanding is do u unzip it to platform-tools and use flash-all, like reverting back to stock? bc this is what i get when i dont unzip it and just copy it to platform-tools directory from my downloads folder. this is my first time flashing a custom rom and i just cant seem to get anyone to tell me exactly what i need to do or what im doing wrong. PLEASE HELP

ouid2436

Jan 23, 2021
The following may do the same thing, but in settings, under developer options, there is a "background process limit" setting. Yours sounds like it is set to none.

Also, the another thing to look into is your LMK settings.

EDIT:almost forgot, you couldalso look into playing with OOM settings. Alhough it could be a lot of maintenance for daily/actual use, there is a "superman" type setting.
and, just thought, are you saying your music player is killed when you switch away from it?
Yes, basically and other apps that need to be in the background so I can get notifications from it. Also, when you mentioned lmk setting I looked into it and I saw articles mentioning that I can tweak it and it also mentions needing to root my phone for that to happen. Is there a way to tweak the lmk without rooting it?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Yes, basically and other apps that need to be in the background so I can get notifications from it. Also, when you mentioned lmk setting I looked into it and I saw articles mentioning that I can tweak it and it also mentions needing to root my phone for that to happen. Is there a way to tweak the lmk without rooting it?
Sorry, I have root and have always had root, so have no idea how to do things without it.

ouid2436

Jan 23, 2021
Can a Revvl 4 5007w model be rooted because I looked around and one person mentioned that it was similar to a different device that could work for rooting then someone else said that's wrong and mentioned a different device root so I was just wondering if it's possible.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
can anyone help me install the Proton AOSP Custom Rom onto my pixel 5. I have succesfully rooted it with Magisk Canary and passed Safetynet. But im a little confused on how to flash this zip file bc everytime i flash it im getting this in command prompt:

what I've been doing is downloading the file to my PC (obviously) and when its done and in my downloads, i copy it over to my platform tools directory and then i try
"fastboot flash the drag and drop the zip file as well as Fastboot boot etc.,

BC This is what ive been getting:
C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1.zip
unknown partition 'C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1.zip'
fastboot: error: cannot determine image filename for 'C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1.zip'

and now this fof Fastboot boot ZipFile
C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools>fastboot boot C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.1-gapps.zip
creating boot image...
terminating with uncaught exception of type std::bad_alloc: std::bad_alloc

but what im not understanding is do u unzip it to platform-tools and use flash-all, like reverting back to stock? bc this is what i get when i dont unzip it and just copy it to platform-tools directory from my downloads folder. this is my first time flashing a custom rom and i just cant seem to get anyone to tell me exactly what i need to do or what im doing wrong. PLEASE HELP

Custom ROMs are to be flashed through a custom recovery, prior to flash this custom ROM you should have to unlock your bootloader and next flash a custom recovery like TWRP if available for your device, then you can flash this custom ROM and the GApps either copying the zip files to your internal memory or external SDcard (if your device support a slot) or using adb sideload feature from TWRP without need to copy/paste the zip files onto your device but directly placed in a convenient directory from your PC, adb sideload will send the files and will flash them.

You´ll use fastboot to return to stock ROM when you want to revert it.

APlusEdu

Jan 24, 2021
Hi,

I'm wondering if you guys have any forum for smart-board that uses android OS.
I have a SMART board that use Android 8.0 as the OS, and I definitely need some help to configure the system as I wanted.
These are my problems:
1. No Google play service. It's said that Google’s policies do not permit apps that require Google Play Services to be used on interactive display products. Is there anyway to bypass this? Or is there any way to know whether an app require Google play service?
2. Is there any custom mod that is compatible with it?

Thank you, and I really hope that you guys can help.

Have a great day

Top Liked Posts

Guys need help ...
    I hve 7tpro mclaren hd1925 T mobile and i am not getting any software updates and there is no option to update it manully ...
    I am still on 10.0.12
    Can anyone help me with this plz...
    This is the latest firmware for your device, it's based on A11 but it's a beta build https://www.oneplus.com/global/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1574162297465 anyway I'm not sure if you should wait eons for TM to release its own update in case your device is locked.

Here you have the XDA Forum for your device https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/oneplus-7t-pro-mclaren.9893/

And here the Oficial OnePlus Forum site for general discussion https://forums.oneplus.com/forums/oneplus-7tpro-support/
    Hello Champ, thanks for finding time to reply.

I was the one who inputted the unlock code, it was successful since when I inserted a sim of a different carrier, I can confirm network unlock, but cannot change the APN settings (message was "APN Settings Not Available for the Current User". That's why I opted to change the GLB FW to XTC FW, but the same issue occurs. This is where I'm stuck right now
    The only times I have encountered "APN settings are unavailable for this user" is when using a SIM card that has not been activated or has been deactivated.
    How would I go about doing this? I can't find any resources, either because of my lack of experience, or there aren't any.
    Please keep in mind I started learning about this stuff a week ago.
    You didn't mention yet which image you patched and flashed to gain root, either boot or recovery image I guess you got it from your stock firmware, so following with this assumption, you should flash again either the boot or recovery stock (not the patched one) to restore your device to its original state.

Regarding the second part most of devices after to attempt to root them they need to disable DM verity in order to can boot.

- Firstly re-flash as indicated previously either the recovery or the boot image.
    - Reboot to system and check if USB debugging and OEM unlock options are still enabled.
    - Send device to fastboot.
    - From here on it should be that you simply patched the wrong image, some devices need the boot and some need the recovery image. If you flashed the other image right now and still you can't boot then..
    - Download this file and place it to the same adb/fastboot folder directory to avoid an unnecessary/erroneous/misspelled/mismatched path https://mega.nz/file/dnAS3AhD#g5PnSg-0UKFvyhZSZ8Em6gKO2Do7avaUepPmsH75-Bg (In case your device doesn't require a signed vbmeta then it'll work).
    - Type in fastboot (with device connected to PC)
    Code:
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    in case this command doesn't work type
    Code:
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    you have to get a successful message, after that you should flash your patched image (always that is the indicated)
    - Method 2 is editing with a hex editor your boot image and removing/replacing from it for 0 values all the verity flags and then patching it with Magisk to finally flash it.
    - Method 3 is signing your own vbmeta image, I guess that the last 2 methods are as you said by now out of your skill.
    By treating my boot.img as a recovery.img then flashing the output to my boot partition, i managed to port TWRP to my device! However, when attempting to install Magisk (v22.0) either by flashing a patched boot.img or by flashing a zip through TWRP, Magisk seems to install while overwriting TWRP so that on the next boot there is no TWRP when rebooting to recovery. Is there any workaround to get TWRP and Magisk at the same time? I don't want to go ahead and install v22.1 since it still seems pretty new.

Well, this is exactly what I warned previously, your TWRP needs to be fixed in the ramdisk partition to live together so any time you flash something it is not overwritten.

You should port it from a TWRP that already was made for an A-B device (processor similarities required) the Android Ones edition are an example on how it works and additional search for a TWRP installer , look inside and see which values you should replace for those from your device to make it compatible.

This is an example of what I'm saying, from my current device https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/..._9-0-for-android-9-10-11-custom-roms.4123287/
    Bro how can i directly contact you i am not undrstnding cuz i am new to oneplus .. and my android version is still 10.0.12
    Hi
    I don't know what you are talking about here or who you are replying to.
    In the future, please use the reply option when replying to someone. That way the person you are replying to will get a notification. Also, someone like me coming across your post can click on what you are replying to and go back to see the conversation and might be able to jump in to help.
    Guys need help ...
    I hve 7tpro mclaren hd1925 T mobile and i am not getting any software updates and there is no option to update it manully ...
    I am still on 10.0.12
    Can anyone help me with this plz...
    This is the latest firmware for your device, it's based on A11 but it's a beta build https://www.oneplus.com/global/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1574162297465 anyway I'm not sure if you should wait eons for TM to release its own update in case your device is locked.

Here you have the XDA Forum for your device https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/oneplus-7t-pro-mclaren.9893/

And here the Oficial OnePlus Forum site for general discussion https://forums.oneplus.com/forums/oneplus-7tpro-support/
    Let me tell you, there are a good number of ROMs for my device (but I really miss pixel experience, earlier the official ROM was available and I wanted it, but currently only unofficial), not many kernels though, and I want to ask that, 'being on a older ROMs (having an older version of the bootloader, affects the functionality of TWRP)??
    I am on nougat ZUI (ZUI 2.5) now, and the time when I rooted my device 4 months ago and flashed TWRP, everything was working as it should be, will it work now??
    And I also want to ask how to restore the IMEI number in the box of my phone?? I know you would hesitate to tell even if you know so all I want to request you is, 'can you please guide me where I can get the solution??'

Of course TWRP will work as it was working before anyway TWRP is adapted/updated for custom ROMs from time to time I mean if development of custom ROMs stopped then TWRP also will stop at this point.

As per the IMEI recovering process only can say you that is incredible easy enough always that is recoverable I mean only in the case you didn´t do something extreme and this piece of hardware where IMEI is hardcoded wasn´t damaged but I can´t guide you on that so is a grey area where I never transit.
    You mean I should search the keywords like IMEI restore tool!!
    Yes. Also read about what QPST/qfil can do, If I don´t remember bad it also has this feature in-built.
    One last thing that I want to ask you, 'does the version of bootloader, affects whether what you flash will be supported or not, I mean earlier I was on ZUI 1.9 and TWRP 3.5, at that time anything I flashed didn't work, now I am on ZUI 2.5 and TWRP 3.4 and the few things I have tried are working (I am afraid of doing too much)??
    Well, you had the better answer regarding bootloader. I just can add to it that the issue that you had was not linked exclusively to the bootloader but the firmware itself cause a minimal set of partitions need to be updated in order that this or that custom ROM can work properly or can even boot.
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone