Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

tvdler

Feb 26, 2021
I'm having trouble installing the xposed zips via adb, it says it can't mount the system partition? i believe it need it for signature spoofing? i'm on galaxy s7 euro

Last edited:

SGabZ

Feb 27, 2021
Hi Im new here, ok here my problem I have a S7 edge with a model no. of SM-G935W8 and I think I soft brick it and it has an frp on and I cant find the firmware of it because it is stuck on bootloop I tried Installing some other firmware but it keeps failing and it displays kernel rev. check fail device 5 binary 0 when booting. If you wonder why I got a frp its because i root my phone and install a twrp on it and I think I forgot switch on oem unlock. And last thing is that I cant go to recovery.

jaleeedrajs

Sep 28, 2020
I have a crdriod rom with no mic during call.. as the other person cannot hear me.. so I'm trying to figure out the main cause why it's not working.. what i noticed is that in app permissions when i checked the phone app it has permission to access Microphone but there also shows the last time when it was accessed.. and it says the microphone never accessed.. what i think it there may be a bug in telecom framework may be with incall services.. kindly someone guide me to how i can solve it or may be where to find telecom services .. I'm rooted

Update it is not always the better, some times they need to be removed, better now would be start with a fresh install, I would recommend that you uninstall all the remained drivers, check if there is some old drivers even for other devices that you actually don´t use and..

Install this https://adbdriver.com/downloads/ and this https://gsmusbdrivers.com/download/android-qualcomm-usb-driver/ both are generic but in case you need proprietary drivers from OEM here you have a collection of drivers.
Thank you, i will try it

Mikeyx898

Feb 27, 2021
Massachusetts
Hey, will a sm-n960F unlocked international motherboard work in a sm-n960U frame? Currently have a broken sprint note 9 I want to swap exynos onto it for root simplicity and will be running AT&T. Is there any difference in the charging port? The one I bought says for 960u 960f and 960fd but also heard there's a difference. Thanks

erdest

Feb 20, 2021
Hi guys,
I can't figure out where to start with my boot.img in order to upstream the kernel.
The boot img is extracted from my tablet boot partition but once i extract it i can't understand how to start cerry picking with linux stable kernels.
I've uploaded both the img and the extracted files that i got with Android Kernel Kitchen.
https://mega.nz/folder/Q64WHAAa#p_-SYUkhRUSO5XP_bRzxNA
If i could have the source code it would be easier but the tablet is like it never existed as it's an unknown brand from many years ago. My project will take it from Android 4.0.4 to 4.4 or 8 (Go version) in order to use it with recent apps.
I'm not asking for you to do my job as that wouldn't realy help learnig how to do it by myself but right now i can't realy find the start point.
With that said, what's the next step after extracting?

Krzy Stoff

Oct 15, 2016
Hi guys

I have a question about an Android TV box -- Technicolor Skipper -- there appears to be no forum for that, if there is please direct me?

I am trying to install a 3rd party launcher, but every launcher APK I try to sideload fails to install due to some kind of block from the retailer.
Could anyone suggest a way to get them to work ?

Many thanks,
K.

trueAK

Feb 3, 2021
Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
I bricked my Lenovo z2 plus (z2_plus), only able to boot to fastboot mode when I hold both volume buttons enter USB cable at same time, I have unlocked its bootloader and flashed TWRP, and it says 'unlocked' on fastboot screen, unable to boot to bootloader or recovery (TWRP)

Embee11

Feb 25, 2017
I HATE the wireframe text/font that came with my new Samsung A21 with Android 10, which I'm guessing was changed in 10 in an effort to increase battery life. But I hate it nonetheless. How can I restore the look of Android 9?

The pics below are from the same app with the same settings, but every app shows the wireframe look for larger font sizes.

Attachments

• Android 9 - LG Stylo 5 - s.jpg
    Android 9 - LG Stylo 5 - s.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Android 10 - Samsung A21 - s.jpg
    Android 10 - Samsung A21 - s.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 0

DragonFire1024

Mar 27, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
www.twitter.com
Hi Im new here, ok here my problem I have a S7 edge with a model no. of SM-G935W8 and I think I soft brick it and it has an frp on and I cant find the firmware of it because it is stuck on bootloop I tried Installing some other firmware but it keeps failing and it displays kernel rev. check fail device 5 binary 0 when booting. If you wonder why I got a frp its because i root my phone and install a twrp on it and I think I forgot switch on oem unlock. And last thing is that I cant go to recovery.

You're going to need to find a firmware file that is the same binary number. If you don't you will not be able to flash any firmware back to the device until that firmware is found. I'm pretty sure cannot be unlocked but I could be wrong.But the luck with this one, if you can root it is insecure ADB. Which means you can disable applications including the setup wizards. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-s7-s7-edge-unroot-easy-updated-02-09-2020.4048237/

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I bricked my Lenovo z2 plus (z2_plus), only able to boot to fastboot mode when I hold both volume buttons enter USB cable at same time, I have unlocked its bootloader and flashed TWRP, and it says 'unlocked' on fastboot screen, unable to boot to bootloader or recovery (TWRP)

What you should do will depend on what you did or what happened prior to this happening, a bad flashing, wrong firmware, a GSI.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi guys,
I can't figure out where to start with my boot.img in order to upstream the kernel.
The boot img is extracted from my tablet boot partition but once i extract it i can't understand how to start cerry picking with linux stable kernels.
I've uploaded both the img and the extracted files that i got with Android Kernel Kitchen.
https://mega.nz/folder/Q64WHAAa#p_-SYUkhRUSO5XP_bRzxNA
If i could have the source code it would be easier but the tablet is like it never existed as it's an unknown brand from many years ago. My project will take it from Android 4.0.4 to 4.4 or 8 (Go version) in order to use it with recent apps.
I'm not asking for you to do my job as that wouldn't realy help learnig how to do it by myself but right now i can't realy find the start point.
With that said, what's the next step after extracting?

These threads are more focused on this:
@drohan/upstream-android-kernel

trueAK

Feb 3, 2021
Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
What you should do will depend on what you did or what happened prior to this happening, a bad flashing, wrong firmware, a GSI.
Let me explain, I was suggested to flash my phone's QPST ROM via MI flash tool, because I was having some battery issues, I did so and forgot to uncheck clean all, wipe and lock, and the process of flashing stopped immediately after few sec leaving my phone stuck on a screen saying, 'unable to boot error', in big bold letters, and I am able to unlock its bootloader, flash recovery (TWRP), but unable to boot to either of them, via cmd, fastboot mode, and yes I am able to boot to fastboot mode.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Let me explain, I was suggested to flash my phone's QPST ROM via MI flash tool, because I was having some battery issues, I did so and forgot to uncheck clean all, wipe and lock, and the process of flashing stopped immediately after few sec leaving my phone stuck on a screen saying, 'unable to boot error', in big bold letters, and I am able to unlock its bootloader, flash recovery (TWRP), but unable to boot to either of them, via cmd, fastboot mode, and yes I am able to boot to fastboot mode.

Well, you mentioned that you have a Lenovo device, then MiFlash tool is not suitable for Lenovo devices, it´s just for Xiaomi devices so the reason why your device got bricked (soft) is not cause you ticked clean_all_and_lock option but for the mentioned before.

In case you did mention/mean QPST, no sense by now to use it, so you have unlocked bootloader and access to fastboot to flash anything, no need to test-point your device.

The tool for Lenovo is this https://www.themefoxx.com/lenovo-downloader-tool/ if you can go to fastboot mode you could use it.

Also if you yet can unlock bootloader so you have access to fastboot mode then you can flash almost any partition through fastboot commands, this may fix your issue.

Plus a device semi-bricked might be unresponsive through commands to send it to recovery mode but I´m pretty sure that you still can go to it using hardware buttons if you can try something through TWRP like a backup or flash some custom ROM.

Battery issues can come within other reasons because:
- Of course; your battery is damaged.
- You didn´t do a fresh install without wiping properly.
- The ROM that you installed consume a lot of resources due to a fault from developer.
- You flashed an unauthorized kernel versus the one recommended by the dev.
- A great etc, that doesn´t come to my mind right now.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I need a twrp version for max3x with kernel version 3.18.19
Maxfone manufacturer
I couldn't find a custom ROM to my device maxfone max3x kernel version 3.18.19 [email protected]#2

I don´t know why they continue to launch devices with MediaTek 6580 on these days.

You won´t find nothing for your specific model (I found a funny concept in the net; a ripoff device? )so you´ll have to give it a try by your own with the next under tries and fails rules:

- Download this tool and try to extract both recovery and boot images from your device; https://www.allmobitools.com/download-mtk-droid-tools/ also you could try with https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/amazing-temp-root-for-mediatek-armv8-2020-08-24.3922213/

- Then you might read this thread on how to port TWRP for your device https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-to-mediatek-devices-i-can-port-also.4027321/ this is only an example from the various threads available that may complement the information.

- Then you might read this thread on how to port custom ROMs to MediaTek devices https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...arshmallow-rom-porting-guide-figured.3373520/ this is only an example from the various threads available for this topic. The kernel is running 6.0 (MM) but may suit also for Nougat and even Oreo.

As you see you have a long way till the final goal. Unfortunately they continue launching devices with a modern shell but weak in its core and without support.

Last edited:

Embee11

Feb 25, 2017
I HATE the wireframe text/font that came with my new Samsung A21 with Android 10, which I'm guessing was changed in 10 in an effort to increase battery life. But I hate it nonetheless. How can I restore the look of Android 9?

The pics below are from the same app with the same settings, but every app shows the wireframe look for larger font sizes.

Well, I have no idea why this happened, since I stopped playing with it when I posted my OP, but when I checked my phone today, wherever apps had shown the wireframe fonts now shows the correct, filled fonts!

So before I close this, I'd now like to know if anyone has any idea why this issue fixed itself. Huh?

Top Liked Posts

Greetings Community,
    I have a Samsung S8 Active and after a bit of research couldn't find one custom rom for the active variant of the the S8. Is the active the same internally and thus can take the same rom?

Some of the models or variants grouped into Snapdragon and the others into Exynos share similarities although their differences on radio, modem specifics and some of them being a dual SIM model, with minimal modifications they should work on most of them but the reason why you don´t see your model listed as compatible with this or that ROM is that the bootloader can´t be unlocked as happens too with other models (although it could be some exploit in some specific revisions) this discourages developers.

Anyway this is the only I found so far https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...orgrom-root-for-the-galaxy-s8-active.3747788/
    Bro how can i directly contact you i am not undrstnding cuz i am new to oneplus .. and my android version is still 10.0.12
    Hi
    I don't know what you are talking about here or who you are replying to.
    In the future, please use the reply option when replying to someone. That way the person you are replying to will get a notification. Also, someone like me coming across your post can click on what you are replying to and go back to see the conversation and might be able to jump in to help.
    One last thing that I want to ask you, 'does the version of bootloader, affects whether what you flash will be supported or not, I mean earlier I was on ZUI 1.9 and TWRP 3.5, at that time anything I flashed didn't work, now I am on ZUI 2.5 and TWRP 3.4 and the few things I have tried are working (I am afraid of doing too much)??
    Well, you had the better answer regarding bootloader. I just can add to it that the issue that you had was not linked exclusively to the bootloader but the firmware itself cause a minimal set of partitions need to be updated in order that this or that custom ROM can work properly or can even boot.
    Greetings Community,
    I have a Samsung S8 Active and after a bit of research couldn't find one custom rom for the active variant of the the S8. Is the active the same internally and thus can take the same rom?

Some of the models or variants grouped into Snapdragon and the others into Exynos share similarities although their differences on radio, modem specifics and some of them being a dual SIM model, with minimal modifications they should work on most of them but the reason why you don´t see your model listed as compatible with this or that ROM is that the bootloader can´t be unlocked as happens too with other models (although it could be some exploit in some specific revisions) this discourages developers.

Anyway this is the only I found so far https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...orgrom-root-for-the-galaxy-s8-active.3747788/
    Thank you, I'll see for it, but do you think that restoring to latest firmware solve my problem even after the IMEI number got erased!!

IMEI is rarely really erased, it is overwritten by blank values (null).
    What the stock ROM can do depends on the level of damage that qfil did in this specific partition but always is possible to recover it with the proper tool.
    Yes, there are ROMs for my device, and I tried them, but even after being flashed successfully, each of them are giving blue screen after the zuk logo comes before booting to anything, I don't know, I flashed my device again and currently it is the start of the setup screen (I can't set it up because the screen is totally shattered and I will get it changed when I'd be allowed to go out), and I am not going to do anything to it till I get the screen replaced, but I am just not able to figure out why I see the blue screen after flashing any custom ROM via TWRP, whereas the Chinese version for ZUI worked, since you just told me about what I could have done with IMEI partition, I will check it via adb or fastboot commands (last time it was blank), its feeling like I am stuck with single ROM only.

Well, as I said you previously the Chinese ROM is not friendly to switch to other due to the incompatibility of the drivers used in the firmware that comes with a specific display for the Chinese region, this may be the reason why now there´s nothing projecting onto display and about that, Why do you think that the screen needs to be replaced, it could be due to the reason mentioned or in the process to reassemble the device some part got disconnected as a sort of false contact.
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone