Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Rizwan66

Apr 10, 2021
If you used the installer in the main thread that won't work anymore, use the link provided in the mod edit to install ADB and Fastboot: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip (you'll also need drivers to allow your PC to communicate with your phone, just google drivers for <device name>)

Also, again:
"adb devices" is for when your device is on and in Android
"fastboot devices" is for when your device is on and in fastboot mode.
Can you give me ur whtsapp ar instaa to contact plz

ithan80

Apr 10, 2021
If you used the installer in the main thread that won't work anymore, use the link provided in the mod edit to install ADB and Fastboot: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip (you'll also need drivers to allow your PC to communicate with your phone, just google drivers for <device name>)

Also, again:
"adb devices" is for when your device is on and in Android
"fastboot devices" is for when your device is on and in fastboot mode.
thank you, i will try it

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
HTC 10
Google Pixel 2 XL
Bro how can i directly contact you i am not undrstnding cuz i am new to oneplus .. and my android version is still 10.0.12
Hi
I don't know what you are talking about here or who you are replying to.
In the future, please use the reply option when replying to someone. That way the person you are replying to will get a notification. Also, someone like me coming across your post can click on what you are replying to and go back to see the conversation and might be able to jump in to help.

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    Alright, suppose I do find a TWRP for the same chipset (ie mt6761 for my device). What information should I need to obtain from my device in order to port the TWRP to it? I'm asking because all porting guides require a copy of the stock recovery image so is there a way to get the information required from my stock rom?

Another question is if I manage to build a TWRP image, how do I test to see if it works on my device? Executing "fastboot boot TWRP.img" seems to hang on the transfer ok screen for a few seconds then the device reboots into Android. Tried temp booting a magisk patched boot.img as well but it would always boot into the boot.img currently flashed onto the device.
    You should get this information and files from the boot image, of course you have to know something about decompile and recompile (there are some pretty tool to do so).

In order to flash anything to some partition you need to unlock bootloader and also critical partitions, a recovery ported this way won´t survive in the boot partition so it has to use atleast a minimal portion of the ramdisk to live in the boot partition, for this you should need a TWRP installer that have to be flashed through TWRP, in the meantime push a copy of the stock boot to your SD card in case you can´t boot to system again.

As I said you TWRP has to be flashed to the boot partition, if it´s not well ported then you will overwrite it and you can´t boot to system so you´d need to flash again the boot image unless the TWRP base has the ability to do so.

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    i had tried with qcomdload,its the same as i see with lenovo downloader,but always had the same message "cannot open raw file". Probably i do something wrong or i haven't download the correct rom.i download the rom from here :https://firmwarefile.com/lenovo-tab-4-10-plus-tb-x704l . i tried 10 minutes ago it says step : sahara ,status :flashing ,time 1000seconds and still flashing, but i must leave for work.But at the begining again the same message ''cannot open raw file'' .
    This message is clearly referring to an image that can´t be handle by the tool, I have to assume that you atleast unzipped your file (?). Upload some screenshots from the folder inside to see which files contain. In case you don´t know qfil works with EDL mode and the LDT works with fastboot.

ithan80

Apr 10, 2021
    This message is clearly referring to an image that can´t be handle by the tool, I have to assume that you atleast unzipped your file (?). Upload some screenshots from the folder inside to see which files contain. In case you don´t know qfil works with EDL mode and the LDT works with fastboot.
    i manage to get it work and after 60 secs the programm closes by itself,it never finishes the flashing. 3 times now.After many efforts with different versions of lenovo downloader i managed to flash it,but unfortunatelly it reboots again.I will try this https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/my-phone-keeps-rebooting-even-after-odin-flash-stock-tar.3409961/ . i mean i will let it to drain battery.

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_000356.jpg
      IMG_20210412_000356.jpg
      2.7 MB · Views: 10
    Last edited:

acacacac

Apr 11, 2021
    Hi there. Any insights to my issue will be appreciated.

I've been running LineageOS on a Nextbit Robin for a few years, from 14 to 15 to 16 everything was great. Now in 2021, Lineage 17.1 briefly arrived and now Lineage 18.1.

My problem is new to 17.1 & 18.1, and did not occur over the past few years in earlier versions of Lineage.

After downloading and installing a 'nightly' update, the phone will boot loop and I'm unable to get it up & running again. For whatever reason the update won't 'take'.

I'm definitely no expert but I've tried a few different things and nothing seems to avoid this issue. I've always used TWRP but tried the new Lineage Recovery to see if that might help the issue. I used to use OpenGapps but as there's no Android 11 OpenGapps yet I used NikGapps when setting up Lineage 18.1.

My 'initial' set up of 17.1 and now 18.1 goes fine - I was running 18.1 for the beginning of April until today when I tried to install the weekly update.

But in my inexpert way of describing things, something in the Lineage update process seems to have broken for me in the newest versions relative to how routine it was in earlier versions over the past years.

Any advice? Thank you. What if any new habits do I need to adopt to make sure I'm able to successfully install new updates and not soft brick my phone?

Apr 3, 2021
    I need help as my brain is melting. My blu G90 pro is bootlooped. I saw the noob friendly guide to bootloop recovery, but I can't boot my phone into recovery mode. I can only boot into fastboot mode. ADB won't connect and I am at a loss right now.

I got bootlooped after following these instructions
    • Copy the boot/recovery image to your device
    • Press the Install button in the Magisk card
    • If you are patching a recovery image, make sure “Recovery Mode” is checked in options.
      In most cases it should already be automatically checked.
    • Choose “Select and Patch a File” in method, and select the stock boot/recovery image
    • The Magisk app will patch the image to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched_[random_strings].img.
    • Copy the patched image to your PC with ADB:
      adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched_[random_strings].img
    • Flash the patched boot/recovery image to your device.
      For most devices, reboot into fastboot mode and flash with command:
      fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.img or
      fastboot flash recovery /path/to/magisk_patched.img if flashing a recovery image
    • Reboot and voila!
    I don't have a custion recovery as there isn't twrp for blu g90 pro.

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    Hi there. Any insights to my issue will be appreciated.

I've been running LineageOS on a Nextbit Robin for a few years, from 14 to 15 to 16 everything was great. Now in 2021, Lineage 17.1 briefly arrived and now Lineage 18.1.

My problem is new to 17.1 & 18.1, and did not occur over the past few years in earlier versions of Lineage.

After downloading and installing a 'nightly' update, the phone will boot loop and I'm unable to get it up & running again. For whatever reason the update won't 'take'.

I'm definitely no expert but I've tried a few different things and nothing seems to avoid this issue. I've always used TWRP but tried the new Lineage Recovery to see if that might help the issue. I used to use OpenGapps but as there's no Android 11 OpenGapps yet I used NikGapps when setting up Lineage 18.1.

My 'initial' set up of 17.1 and now 18.1 goes fine - I was running 18.1 for the beginning of April until today when I tried to install the weekly update.

But in my inexpert way of describing things, something in the Lineage update process seems to have broken for me in the newest versions relative to how routine it was in earlier versions over the past years.

Any advice? Thank you. What if any new habits do I need to adopt to make sure I'm able to successfully install new updates and not soft brick my phone?
    I never had a device updating with a single ROM for years but I think that maybe it's time to a fresh install wiping caches, dalvik and maybe formatting data, if available some kind of selected files in a form of firmware (to use it as base) and finally flashing the latest LOS available.

Regarding the Gapps these are the recommended https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    I need help as my brain is melting. My blu G90 pro is bootlooped. I saw the noob friendly guide to bootloop recovery, but I can't boot my phone into recovery mode. I can only boot into fastboot mode. ADB won't connect and I am at a loss right now.

I got bootlooped after following these instructions
    • Copy the boot/recovery image to your device
    • Press the Install button in the Magisk card
    • If you are patching a recovery image, make sure “Recovery Mode” is checked in options.
      In most cases it should already be automatically checked.
    • Choose “Select and Patch a File” in method, and select the stock boot/recovery image
    • The Magisk app will patch the image to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched_[random_strings].img.
    • Copy the patched image to your PC with ADB:
      adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched_[random_strings].img
    • Flash the patched boot/recovery image to your device.
      For most devices, reboot into fastboot mode and flash with command:
      fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.img or
      fastboot flash recovery /path/to/magisk_patched.img if flashing a recovery image
    • Reboot and voila!
    I don't have a custion recovery as there isn't twrp for blu g90 pro.
    Firstly to recover the ability to boot again you can go back to the latest working state by re-flashing the stock image either boot or recovery.

Most of devices actually use DM-verity, maybe you should try flashing a blank/generic vbmeta image after to flash the patched image.

acacacac

Apr 11, 2021
    I never had a device updating with a single ROM for years but I think that maybe it's time to a fresh install wiping caches, dalvik and maybe formatting data, if available some kind of selected files in a form of firmware (to use it as base) and finally flashing the latest LOS available.

Regarding the Gapps these are the recommended https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html
    Thanks for the reply.

After the fist 17 update issue there was a complete wipe of the phone and I started over, so whatever issue isn't causing updates to 'take' isn't stemming from that.

Flashing the latest LOS is straightforward enough and will get me going, but after that I still don't understand why I am having the phone soft brick when trying to update thereafter, which is my issue.

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    Thanks for the reply.

After the fist 17 update issue there was a complete wipe of the phone and I started over, so whatever issue isn't causing updates to 'take' isn't stemming from that.

Flashing the latest LOS is straightforward enough and will get me going, but after that I still don't understand why I am having the phone soft brick when trying to update thereafter, which is my issue.
    I'm not sure what you mean with "Flashing the latest LOS is straightforward enough and will get me going" so TWRP will flash it anyway no matter what you did previously but a major upgrade might require a complete wipe, in this case going from LOS17 to LOS18, I mean it's not that it can cause issues only on the normal functioning or instability or battery drain or something more but the flashing process itself can be obstructed in some cases resulting in this.

As it could be that there is not instruction on how to flash this update doing that will be the most recommendable, also in case you didn't, some times you'd need to disable the zip signature verification.

Edit: Also some times after to flash the ROM you should reboot for first time to system prior to flash the Gapps, if you didn't this way and plus flashing not authorized Gapps package as it seems is the case one of them or both errors could cause the issue.

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
    NC
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I use a Umidigi smartphone which uses a type c cable. The cable that came with it was working fast. It charges from 0% to 100% in 2 hours. But all of a sudden, there was a cut on the cable and the wires touched(I think the term is short-circuited), and I had to discard the cable.

But ever since then, my phone charge really slow. Even when I switch it off, it takes like 10 hours for it to become full from 0%. I tried over three tested quality cables but it's still the same thing. My charger adapter is not the problem as I used it on other people's phone and it was charging the phones well.

Also, when my phone is now plugged in and it's off, if I want to switch it on, it might take about 10 seconds before it display anything at all. It even discharges whenever my mobile data and my screen are on when plugged in.

Moreso, the cords no longer transfer files from computer to my phone anymore. The battery is inbuilt and I can't even open the phone's casing. I don't know what to do again. Pls help.
    Sounds like the short circuited cable caused damage to your phone's charging port/pins. It may be as simple as replacing the USB port component or you may have damaged something deeper.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
    NC
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Hello, I have a problem that I have not been able to identify the cause, in my terminal.
    You see, it happens to me that every time I use mobile data from the SIM card or simply by removing the airplane mode.
    What happens is that my device begins to connect and disconnect from the network (including mobile and call data) and then it reconnects again. But it is very annoying!
    If I don't have the airplane mode activated, it does the same with the Wi-Fi connection. It connects and disconnects it. And rarely with Bluetooth.
    The way I get around it is by using the phone in airplane mode all the time. But that means that I cannot make or receive calls and that I cannot spend my data.
    Seems to me that your problem may be related to your device's "rescan interval". What kind of system is your Wifi being provided by? If your Wifi is provided via a satellite dish or via a substandard service provider or network, you may be recieving intermittent internet signal, this would cause random disconnects.

Also, if your phone's service provider or network is also substandard or if you are in an area with poor signal reception such as in rural areas or low-lying areas, this would cause your phone's cellular to have connection issues.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
    NC
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Hello Champ, thanks for finding time to reply.

I was the one who inputted the unlock code, it was successful since when I inserted a sim of a different carrier, I can confirm network unlock, but cannot change the APN settings (message was "APN Settings Not Available for the Current User". That's why I opted to change the GLB FW to XTC FW, but the same issue occurs. This is where I'm stuck right now
    The only times I have encountered "APN settings are unavailable for this user" is when using a SIM card that has not been activated or has been deactivated.

Reactions: SubwayChamp
    Apr 3, 2021
    re-flashing the stock image either
    Firstly to recover the ability to boot again you can go back to the latest working state by re-flashing the stock image either boot or recovery.

Most of devices actually use DM-verity, maybe you should try flashing a blank/generic vbmeta image after to flash the patched image.
    How would I go about doing this? I can't find any resources, either because of my lack of experience, or there aren't any.
    Please keep in mind I started learning about this stuff a week ago.

TheBeast941

• Apr 6, 2021
    You should get this information and files from the boot image, of course you have to know something about decompile and recompile (there are some pretty tool to do so).

In order to flash anything to some partition you need to unlock bootloader and also critical partitions, a recovery ported this way won´t survive in the boot partition so it has to use atleast a minimal portion of the ramdisk to live in the boot partition, for this you should need a TWRP installer that have to be flashed through TWRP, in the meantime push a copy of the stock boot to your SD card in case you can´t boot to system again.

As I said you TWRP has to be flashed to the boot partition, if it´s not well ported then you will overwrite it and you can´t boot to system so you´d need to flash again the boot image unless the TWRP base has the ability to do so.
    By treating my boot.img as a recovery.img then flashing the output to my boot partition, i managed to port TWRP to my device! However, when attempting to install Magisk (v22.0) either by flashing a patched boot.img or by flashing a zip through TWRP, Magisk seems to install while overwriting TWRP so that on the next boot there is no TWRP when rebooting to recovery. Is there any workaround to get TWRP and Magisk at the same time? I don't want to go ahead and install v22.1 since it still seems pretty new.

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    How would I go about doing this? I can't find any resources, either because of my lack of experience, or there aren't any.
    Please keep in mind I started learning about this stuff a week ago.
    You didn't mention yet which image you patched and flashed to gain root, either boot or recovery image I guess you got it from your stock firmware, so following with this assumption, you should flash again either the boot or recovery stock (not the patched one) to restore your device to its original state.

Regarding the second part most of devices after to attempt to root them they need to disable DM verity in order to can boot.

- Firstly re-flash as indicated previously either the recovery or the boot image.
    - Reboot to system and check if USB debugging and OEM unlock options are still enabled.
    - Send device to fastboot.
    - From here on it should be that you simply patched the wrong image, some devices need the boot and some need the recovery image. If you flashed the other image right now and still you can't boot then..
    - Download this file and place it to the same adb/fastboot folder directory to avoid an unnecessary/erroneous/misspelled/mismatched path https://mega.nz/file/dnAS3AhD#g5PnSg-0UKFvyhZSZ8Em6gKO2Do7avaUepPmsH75-Bg (In case your device doesn't require a signed vbmeta then it'll work).
    - Type in fastboot (with device connected to PC)
    Code:
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    in case this command doesn't work type
    Code:
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    you have to get a successful message, after that you should flash your patched image (always that is the indicated)
    - Method 2 is editing with a hex editor your boot image and removing/replacing from it for 0 values all the verity flags and then patching it with Magisk to finally flash it.
    - Method 3 is signing your own vbmeta image, I guess that the last 2 methods are as you said by now out of your skill.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    By treating my boot.img as a recovery.img then flashing the output to my boot partition, i managed to port TWRP to my device! However, when attempting to install Magisk (v22.0) either by flashing a patched boot.img or by flashing a zip through TWRP, Magisk seems to install while overwriting TWRP so that on the next boot there is no TWRP when rebooting to recovery. Is there any workaround to get TWRP and Magisk at the same time? I don't want to go ahead and install v22.1 since it still seems pretty new.

Well, this is exactly what I warned previously, your TWRP needs to be fixed in the ramdisk partition to live together so any time you flash something it is not overwritten.

You should port it from a TWRP that already was made for an A-B device (processor similarities required) the Android Ones edition are an example on how it works and additional search for a TWRP installer , look inside and see which values you should replace for those from your device to make it compatible.

This is an example of what I'm saying, from my current device https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/..._9-0-for-android-9-10-11-custom-roms.4123287/

Reactions: mrrocketdog

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I've came across a debloat list labelled samsung (2020) and I was wondering if I could use that as is or should I trim it down.
      I don´t think you can use that list as it is, there are some essential and dependencies to some apps can work well. You only should disable those that can you see and interact with as user and that may consume more resources, in my opinion not those from the core.
      Doesnt that oem unlock option just enable/allow unlocking the bootloader, instead of unlocking right away?

I tried the oem unlock toggle but i think the bootloader is still locked.

It seems i cant do much with the phone if the charging port is broken.
      Yes, once the OEM unlock option is enabled you can go to the next level rooting it or installing TWRP at least in the first firmware versions (I had one) but actually the most reliable rooting method is Magisk in my opinion, in the old days worked an app called FlashFire, that could flash the firmware directly onto device but it´s now deprecated. For the many inconvenience that make a broken charging port you should rethink it if you are able to repair it at a certain time.
      I'm receiving a Galaxy A52 5G (first Samsung phone since the S2) tomorrow and I would appreciate if someone could point me toward some guides/tools to help get rid of bloatware (I believe the device comes with ONE UI 3.1 be default). I'm interested as well in any ressources to help enhance security/privacy, last few devices were running Lineage OS but I don't want to mess things to much for fear of triggering the Knox feature, at least as long as I got the warranty valid.
      Any attempt to root it or unlock it will trigger the Knox/security features and of course the warranty so if you want to stay in the safe side the most you can do by now to "get rid of" (not totally) is disable them using this method https://www.xda-developers.com/disable-system-app-bloatware-android/ be careful to not disable essential apps, also surprisingly there is a lot of real (that I should call them) bloatware that can be uninstalled too.
      Thank you for reply! But unfortunately, the official website does not provide a firmware upgrade for this device(X5-touch), so I don’t know if there are other solutions.
      I know that, at least in the official site I didn´t see a single firmware available. I just pointed out to a probability to get it this way, read carefully again my post, I think it worth a try.

A short background; some other OEMs although they provide official firmware also they have some flashing tools (proprietary or not) to download, transfer and flash the firmware onto device, this happens with XperiFirm for Xperia or Frija and SamFirm for Samsung devices just to mention three; in a part of the process you should find the firmware into some path, in your case the folder is created in Program Files.
      I can´t prove it my self so I don´t have this device; what the osf file does after connect your device with PC interfacing the upgrader tool between both is to read directly the SKU and IMEI and starts the downloading process, unless this whole thing and this brand that I don´t know its reputation is a joke this would work this way.
      Greetings Community,
      I have a Samsung S8 Active and after a bit of research couldn't find one custom rom for the active variant of the the S8. Is the active the same internally and thus can take the same rom?

Some of the models or variants grouped into Snapdragon and the others into Exynos share similarities although their differences on radio, modem specifics and some of them being a dual SIM model, with minimal modifications they should work on most of them but the reason why you don´t see your model listed as compatible with this or that ROM is that the bootloader can´t be unlocked as happens too with other models (although it could be some exploit in some specific revisions) this discourages developers.

Anyway this is the only I found so far https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...orgrom-root-for-the-galaxy-s8-active.3747788/
      There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
      which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
      ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
      leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
      the direction where that user can find an answer
      and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
      point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
      (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
      and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
      NO TROLLING
      NO NAME CALLING
      NO RIDICULING
      NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
      problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
      post-mortem
      SilentStrider
      Ghostfreak NB
      mayank9856
      sgs22012
      Zatta
      ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
      Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
      HTML:
      [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
      Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
      Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
      ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone