• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

sa1

Sep 14, 2017
Asia
@SubwayChamp I have rooted my android and had used it for a long time. Its running lineage OS 17.1 for J7
nxt.
Its just that somehow (I do not want to share) the password of my phone was changed and now I want to get that password.
I know there are ways to remove the screen lock and then use new password etc., but to be precise I want to know the current password and unlock my phone without need to change the current password.
The link I mentioned does exactly that, and so I want to do the same.
I am a script kiddie( sorry, A lot of work for people like you) and so want a detailed guide on how to achieve that.

You mentioned that orange fox can do such things.
Can you please help.

My thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/cracking-android-passwords.4275715/
Blog(what I want to do) : https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/cracking-android-passwords-a-how-to/

Startropic1

Jan 13, 2016
I have a Vankyo Matrixpad Z10 tablet running Android 9. I am trying to root it but first I guess I need to build a TWRP recovery.img. How can I backup my stock recovery (without being rooted since I guess I need to do this before I can root.)
developer options is enabled, USB debugging and OEM unlocking are also enabled.
I do have ADB installed on my laptop.
Can anyone help me out here?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I have a Vankyo Matrixpad Z10 tablet running Android 9. I am trying to root it but first I guess I need to build a TWRP recovery.img. How can I backup my stock recovery (without being rooted since I guess I need to do this before I can root.)
developer options is enabled, USB debugging and OEM unlocking are also enabled.
I do have ADB installed on my laptop.
Can anyone help me out here?
Not that you need to backup your stock recovery image or build a TWRP to root your device but you should need to get either the boot or the recovery stock image according which is needed if you think to use the Magisk method.
If the original firmware is not available anywhere then you shouldn't use this method anyway take a look in this thread if this way you are able to pull it/them from your device https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/amazing-temp-root-for-mediatek-armv8-2020-08-24.3922213/

Startropic1

Jan 13, 2016
Not that you need to backup your stock recovery image or build a TWRP to root your device but you should need to get either the boot or the recovery stock image according which is needed if you think to use the Magisk method.
If the original firmware is not available anywhere then you shouldn't use this method anyway take a look in this thread if this way you are able to pull it/them from your device https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/amazing-temp-root-for-mediatek-armv8-2020-08-24.3922213/
I've made a little progress in that I have unlocked my bootloader. The thread you linked to suggests it only works with older versions of Android. My tablet is running Android 9. I have not been able to find any stock roms, but I did e-mail Vankyo support.
I have also identified the chipset as MT8163A
If I could find a way to save my tablet's exisiting rom / recovery img I can build a TWRP from there.
UPDATE:
I was able to successfully use the temp root in the link. I have managed to save both boot.img and recovery.img on my internal storage. They are both 16.78 MB does that seem right for Android 9?
What I can't figure out is this: How do I backup the entire ROM? I have determined that the ROM is /dev/block/platform/soc/####0000.mmc/by-name/

Last edited:

Banana_sam

Mar 24, 2021
Maybe I'm wrong but if you are referring to multiple accounts and not dual apps this is the whole idea of that; you shouldn't have access to the second (multiple) user app from a different user account (no matter is admin) till you enter to this second (multiple)account that is a separate space with a different user account.
Afaik, in android 10 you have the ability to enable 'receive & send calls/sms' in the multiple user account configuration settings, and it does work. i get calls and the notifications for it, i also can receive and send texts (just no push/popup or text ringtone notifications for that) on the second user account.

3rd party apps i dont have cross access to between accounts(as you mentioned and as it should be), but the stock apps are installed for both admin and 2nd user account and only the lineage stock phone and messaging share cross access between the two -- which i thought was how it was supposed to function, except i thought that i should be getting notifications for sms as well.

does this mean i should get an alternative messaging app for the 2nd user account and set it as default sms app, and this way ill be able to receive sms notifications since now both sms apps for each account are unique?
or is this a problem you think with my lineage build or some other reason ive yet to consider?

also if anyone else reading this wants to chime in and share their experience with second user accounts & sms notifications, id love to hear about it

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I've made a little progress in that I have unlocked my bootloader. The thread you linked to suggests it only works with older versions of Android. My tablet is running Android 9. I have not been able to find any stock roms, but I did e-mail Vankyo support.
I have also identified the chipset as MT8163A
If I could find a way to save my tablet's exisiting rom / recovery img I can build a TWRP from there.
UPDATE:
I was able to successfully use the temp root in the link. I have managed to save both boot.img and recovery.img on my internal storage. They are both 16.78 MB does that seem right for Android 9?
What I can't figure out is this: How do I backup the entire ROM? I have determined that the ROM is /dev/block/platform/soc/####0000.mmc/by-name/
You should try it too with the other partitions the same way, just determine the path, something like this may help https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/24119/command-to-list-partitions also you can follow manually the same path you wrote above in the by-name directory.

Startropic1

Jan 13, 2016
You should try it too with the other partitions the same way, just determine the path, something like this may help https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/24119/command-to-list-partitions also you can follow manually the same path you wrote above in the by-name directory.
I was able to save stock boot.img and recovery.img files. However when trying to port a TWRP custom recovery to this device, I descovered that my stock recovery.img is missing

• meta_init.rc
• meta_init.project.rc
• meta_init.modem.rc

and the only fstab is fstab.enableswap

so I think I have a problem, or I did something wrong somewhere...

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Afaik, in android 10 you have the ability to enable 'receive & send calls/sms' in the multiple user account configuration settings, and it does work. i get calls and the notifications for it, i also can receive and send texts (just no push/popup or text ringtone notifications for that) on the second user account.

3rd party apps i dont have cross access to between accounts(as you mentioned and as it should be), but the stock apps are installed for both admin and 2nd user account and only the lineage stock phone and messaging share cross access between the two -- which i thought was how it was supposed to function, except i thought that i should be getting notifications for sms as well.

does this mean i should get an alternative messaging app for the 2nd user account and set it as default sms app, and this way ill be able to receive sms notifications since now both sms apps for each account are unique?
or is this a problem you think with my lineage build or some other reason ive yet to consider?

also if anyone else reading this wants to chime in and share their experience with second user accounts & sms notifications, id love to hear about it
I think you need a different SMS app for the second user but you should try with some third party app that can provide floating windows or quick replies or for some reason the stock app doesn't have full access to this feature.

Reactions: Banana_sam

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I was able to save stock boot.img and recovery.img files. However when trying to port a TWRP custom recovery to this device, I descovered that my stock recovery.img is missing

• meta_init.rc
• meta_init.project.rc
• meta_init.modem.rc

and the only fstab is fstab.enableswap

so I think I have a problem, or I did something wrong somewhere...
I don't know which method you are using to say you (if I could know) where you missed something anyway the fstab file and depending on the android version some of the other files you should find them in the boot image, you should use them from it but keep in mind that the porting process is not perfect and most of threads talk that if some files don't match with the recovery base skip them and follow.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

Startropic1

Jan 13, 2016
I don't know which method you are using to say you (if I could know) where you missed something anyway the fstab file and depending on the android version some of the other files you should find them in the boot image, you should use them from it but keep in mind that the porting process is not perfect and most of threads talk that if some files don't match with the recovery base skip them and follow.
Chipset is MT8163A.
I used the temp root utility you linked to. Was able to identify the partitions, which were at /dev/block/platform/soc/####0000.mmc/by-name/
From there I used CAT command to save a copy of recovery partition as recovery.img on /SDCARD/ (I also did the same for the boot partition, but have not done much with that one.)
I also learned with these mediatek devices I need a scatter file as well.
I also tried just patching the recovery.img I saved on /SDCARD/ (which of course I backed up before patching) with Magisk but it just got stuck in a boot loop when I tried flashing the patched recovery.img. I restored original so it's fine, but unsure how to proceed.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Chipset is MT8163A.
I used the temp root utility you linked to. Was able to identify the partitions, which were at /dev/block/platform/soc/####0000.mmc/by-name/
From there I used CAT command to save a copy of recovery partition as recovery.img on /SDCARD/ (I also did the same for the boot partition, but have not done much with that one.)
I also learned with these mediatek devices I need a scatter file as well.
I also tried just patching the recovery.img I saved on /SDCARD/ (which of course I backed up before patching) with Magisk but it just got stuck in a boot loop when I tried flashing the patched recovery.img. I restored original so it's fine, but unsure how to proceed.
I referred to the method to port TWRP.
Regarding the root process I think preferably you should patch the boot image (after to unlock bootloader) and flash it through fastboot, after that you should find some blank vb meta image in case your device doesn't require a signed image your device should be able to boot to system again but in case it is required a signed vbmeta you should find a "method to patch/sign a vbmeta image".
The scatter file is to use it through SP Flash tool.

Startropic1

Jan 13, 2016
I referred to the method to port TWRP.
Regarding the root process I think preferably you should patch the boot image (after to unlock bootloader) and flash it through fastboot, after that you should find some blank vb meta image in case your device doesn't require a signed image your device should be able to boot to system again but in case it is required a signed vbmeta you should find a "method to patch/sign a vbmeta image".
The scatter file is to use it through SP Flash tool.
Magisk doesn't see a ramdrive with the boot image, suggesting I have to go the recovery route.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Magisk doesn't see a ramdrive with the boot image, suggesting I have to go the recovery route.
OK, you mean your device doesn´t include a boot ramdisk, (there are other tools to inject Magisk anyway but I don´t remember now) then follow the recovery method, the first you have to do is inmediately after to flash it through fastboot reboot to it manually (so probably you can´t through command) and from there flash either Magisk (it will injects the binaries to bypass the avb restrictions or flash this https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ncrypt-disk-quota-disabler-11-2-2020.3817389/ if your device supports an external SD card copy both Magisk and DM verity zips to somewhere.

If the above process doesn´t help to can boot to system again then as I said you before you should need to disable the vbmeta by flashing a blank image (not signed if your device allows it) or create a custom one according your model following this as reference https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-32664.html

Dec 4, 2020
I have an old MTK6753 device. Can i build a ROM for it?
Or atleast port a ROM for it? I prefer Corvus OS or RR.

Device details- Gionee A1 lite. Kernel 3.18.35. Stock Android V. 7 [Nougat]

pls help me. I m a bloody noob with no one to help.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I have an old MTK6753 device. Can i build a ROM for it?
Or atleast port a ROM for it? I prefer Corvus OS or RR.

Device details- Gionee A1 lite. Kernel 3.18.35. Stock Android V. 7 [Nougat]

pls help me. I m a bloody noob with no one to help.
You may get more targeted help from within this thread.

Dec 4, 2020
You may get more targeted help from within this thread.
Hi. Thanks for ur reply

DiamondJohn. I just have a doubt, can i flash any ROM with any kernel to my device? [or, is it possible that i can flash any older kernel with my custom rom​

Banana_sam

Mar 24, 2021
I think you need a different SMS app for the second user but you should try with some third party app that can provide floating windows or quick replies or for some reason the stock app doesn't have full access to this feature.
Just tried doing this with both 'simple sms messenger' and 'QKSMS'. Neither of the two sms apps worked :/ also I had a problem with both apps where they send duplicate messages everytime.

If anyone reading this wants to try testing out doing what I'm aiming for, please do! I wanna know if this is an issue for anyone else or is it just me. Or maybe not an issue with my device or software at all and instead sms notifications for second user accounts had never worked in the first place on android

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sure, but what do i do if i don't get an best answer, this is why i post everywhere.
    First, be patient. Second, respect the rules of this private platform. I assume you've meanwhile read them and also realised that we expect you to wait for at least 24 hours before you bump an unanswered question. I'm convinced you agree that a forum like XDA with 11+ million members, 3.5+ million threads and 78+ million posts can only be positively maintained to the benefit of its members if there're rules that are enforced.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Ive got a Samsung Frontier 3, sm-r760 (R760XXU2BQH1), its on Tizen 2.3.2.4, is there a newer version I can install? Thanks in advance guys, any help with this will be very much appreciated
    Simple Google search for:

"Samsung gear S3 sm r760 firmware download"

Would have gotten you the latest update as below:
    Hi, kind of new here but I read the instructions. So I am running into a problem while installing any rom, when I tried to install the pixelexperience rom on my redmi note 4, it worked out fine and I used for a month or 2. But I was forced to restore my device with a backup I made after installing the rom because I think I downloaded a virus of some sort and my device just wouldn't respond. However, after restoring I got an error message extracttarfork() process ended with error=255. I just clicked reboot and it worked fine, but my phone wouldn't recognize my sim card or any wifi networks, not a wifi or sim card error, but a phone error. I searched for many articles and one article said formatting data might help, so I did that and my backup was gone, so I had to download the pixelexperience rom and flash it again. Now when I got into setup, the phone still wouldn't recognize my sim card or wifi. I tried formating data again both through format data and advanced wipe, and tried installing the corvus os. after flashing the rom and clicking on reboot I got a message saying "no os installed, are you sre you want to reboot?" I clicked yes and the corvus boot animation showed up but it went into a boot loop. after sometime however it did start but again the phone couldn't detect my sim card or any wifi network. after this I tried flashing a stock miui rom but when I click format data I got a failed to mount /system error. I tried changing the system file system to ext2 and then to ext4 and then I was able to format data but now the sd card folder is completely empty and when I tried sideloading the stock miui rom It worked but its stuck in bootloop. This is where I am right now and I'm trying to use mi's miui rom flashing tool but I don't know if that would work and I'd love to know if there is any way to fix this problem or there is no way and I have to take my phone to a service centre. I'd hate having to go to the service center because I like using custom roms butI have no clue about what I'm doing, so any help would be appreciated.
    You should need to restore other partitions like dtbo, persist, vendor depending on what led your device to this state.

Which model do you have? MTK or Qualcomm based?
    ok, so what exactly should I do?
    should I try flashing a vendor zip?
    sorry I'm new to this.
    If the last you did was flashing a custom ROM don't wipe something for now.

Try this fixes in this order, one-by-one, and then try to reboot:
    - Flash the persist partition.
    - Flash the vendor partition (from the last stock ROM)
    - Flash the latest firmware.
    All the above, you can do it over your installed custom ROM.
    - And if nothing fixes, then flash the latest stock Miui ROM through EDL mode that will serve as based for any custom ROM.
    This last you have to do it wiping every thing or let that Mi Flash tool wipe everything selecting "Flash formatting data" be careful to not relock the bootloader although for older devices it can be re-unlocked instantly.

From there you can start again...
    Than name you call is path to file i can use special symblols there it will be renamed to recovery.img anyway.
    AND i said that i booted to OrangeFox successfully so what are you trying to explain to me?
    if orangefox booted successfully, why bother trying to install twrp? why not use orangefox instead?
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo