• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory
Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

soullesscycle

Jun 7, 2021
Hi, since I'm not sure where to post this question then I must be at the right place...

I have this 21" tablet from a broken home bike (which cost a lot $$$). The tablet is in perfect shape but only runs the vendor app (useless to me).

I managed (after few days of searching) to hack my way into settings, unlock bootloader, Usb debug etc..
But I have no clue how to find any ROM or Rootkit for it (see attached)

Is there a way to flash it, or unlock/wipe or whatever and be able to use it as a normal tablet, or even just as an external display?

attached: some info I pulled using Skipsoft Toolkit

Attachments

• Detected Info.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Sadly i am getting the same error.
Also when I try to install ES file explorer

[INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_APK]
"E/SecurityPermission( 971): Device Security- do not allow com.estrongs.android.pop to Install"
OK, now it looks to be more clear, the device was owned previously for some company, and it has in-built some security measures that only allows to re-install the same known apps.

Manuelrod7

Feb 21, 2021
Does any one happened to know if TMobile variants have the capacity of by passing the 5gb data limit in which after a throttle is apply for out of the united states in this case Mexico . I have a OnePlus 8t rooted I I have TMobile one plus plan which allows calling to Mexico and or Canada and texting but after a 5gb 4glt data speed in throttles to 256k. Thank you

SimRhinox

Jun 6, 2021
I installed LOS 18.1 + Gapps and "left" from homescreen (when I swipe to right) is another screen, some strange page with internet news and google search. I removed somehow that internet links, but now empty white page with google-search bar on top remains. How can I get rid of that completely?

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
Hello guys

I have a problem on linux distro lubuntu with wanting to flash a custom rom on my phone while connecting my phone i can use the adb devices command and adb reboot bootloader command but the fastboot command does nothing i have searched the far reaches of the web can someone please help i wil post details below.

trying this on a sony xz1 compact and a hp elitebook 6930p

used the following commands

Open terminal and use these commands:

1. sudo apt update
  2. sudo apt upgrade
  3. sudo apt install android-tools-adb
  4. sudo apt install android-tools-fastboot

then checked if it worked with adb version

then downloaded the flashtool folder from https://developer.android.com/studio...platform-tools

Then i unzip and open the folder and while in the folder i open a terminal and then start with

sudo adb devices (works)
sudo adb reboot bootloader(works)
sudo fastboot devices (does nothing)

it has been six weeks it has been driving me crazy any help wil be greatly apricated.

kind regards

N

Last edited:

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
...snip...

sudo adb devices (works)
sudo adb reboot bootloader(works)
sudo fastboot (does nothing)

it has been six weeks it has been driving me crazy any help wil be greatly apricated.

kind regards

N
I dont use linux to connect to my phone, however, your fastboot command is missing the command you wish to run. ie you are not telling it to do anything.

WHat do you get with sudo fastboot devices

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I installed LOS 18.1 + Gapps and "left" from homescreen (when I swipe to right) is another screen, some strange page with internet news and google search. I removed somehow that internet links, but now empty white page with google-search bar on top remains. How can I get rid of that completely?
Probably you are talking about the Google Launcher, if there's nothing about Google Discover to hide it then you might change for another launcher.

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
I dont use linux to connect to my phone, however, your fastboot command is missing the command you wish to run. ie you are not telling it to do anything.

WHat do you get with sudo fastboot devices
thank you for your fast reply i have added a screenshot see below.
and i inserted a root command so i dont have to typ sudo infront the commands thought it would clean it up a bit.

Edit: also i am new to linux i just couldnt get the drivers to work on windows so i tried linux wich was supposedlly eassier ...

Edit:2 i made a typo there it was fastboot devices

Attachments

• screenxda.jpg
    screenxda.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
thank you for your fast reply i have added a screenshot see below.
and i inserted a root command so i dont have to typ sudo infront the commands thought it would clean it up a bit.

Edit: also i am new to linux i just couldnt get the drivers to work on windows so i tried linux wich was supposedlly eassier ...

Edit:2 i made a typo there it was fastboot devices
It looks like an issue from your device itself.

In Windows you should put your device in fastboot mode and then open device manager, from where your device is listed (probably a mark exclamation) you have to update the driver searching for the directory where the Sony drivers are. Optionally Xperia Companion has in-built all the drivers.

Regarding the issue through Linux (assuming that you are not using a virtual box)I always Install both separately with sudo apt install fastboot and sudo apt install adb not with sudo apt install android-tools, this also make a path alongside the system file so I can open it in any place.

Try to open a terminal from inside the platform-tools directory if it makes some difference.

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
It looks like an issue from your device itself.

In Windows you should put your device in fastboot mode and then open device manager, from where your device is listed (probably a mark exclamation) you have to update the driver searching for the directory where the Sony drivers are. Optionally Xperia Companion has in-built all the drivers.

Regarding the issue through Linux (assuming that you are not using a virtual box)I always Install both separately with sudo apt install fastboot and sudo apt install adb not with sudo apt install android-tools, this also make a path alongside the system file so I can open it in any place.

Try to open a terminal from inside the platform-tools directory if it makes some difference.
The problem in windows i had was with adb i could not get it to work then somehow i did it and then i tried it but in my infinite wisdom i decided i wanted to do it in the flashtool program.

when i tried to use it again i got an error message wich had something to do with drivers i found out wich is weird because i got it working in command then reinstalled the driver pack in flashtool wich apperntly wiped my drivers.

i had that worked and then i went back to trying to do it in adb fastboot but i could not get the adb drivers to work anymore.

i also have xperia compgnion already installed doesnt seem to do anything for me driver wise.

Now i read that doing all this is super easy in linux so i got vm installed lubuntu and then used the command but now fastboot devices wont work driving me crazy.

I tried those commands in lubuntu vm but it just said i already had the latest installed.

I was wanting to reinstall windows and start fresh is there any howto or maybe if your willing to show me step by step to do it the correct way installing the drivers in windows 10 would be greatly apriciated.

kind regards

N

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
The problem in windows i had was with adb i could not get it to work then somehow i did it and then i tried it but in my infinite wisdom i decided i wanted to do it in the flashtool program.

when i tried to use it again i got an error message wich had something to do with drivers i found out wich is weird because i got it working in command then reinstalled the driver pack in flashtool wich apperntly wiped my drivers.

i had that worked and then i went back to trying to do it in adb fastboot but i could not get the adb drivers to work anymore.

i also have xperia compgnion already installed doesnt seem to do anything for me driver wise.

Now i read that doing all this is super easy in linux so i got vm installed lubuntu and then used the command but now fastboot devices wont work driving me crazy.

I tried those commands in lubuntu vm but it just said i already had the latest installed.

I was wanting to reinstall windows and start fresh is there any howto or maybe if your willing to show me step by step to do it the correct way installing the drivers in windows 10 would be greatly apriciated.

kind regards

N
Always that I'm using Windows for a certain time with every device that I own as usual drivers are needed to be installed so finally this excessive number of drivers can cause some conflict.
The best bet right now would be starting from the scratch uninstalling all the drivers that you have then just install only what you need.
1.- https://developer.sony.com/develop/drivers/
2.- https://xiaomifirmware.com/download/13927/ extract it and connect your device when the tool prompts it for that.
3.- https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip extract it and put it in the main drive usually c: directory.
4.- For fastboot, in case your device is slightly old https://developer.sony.com/file/download/fastboot-driver/
These are more than enough to have it working.
Some of them could be redundant but won't hurt at all.

For easy task this also can be useful https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-installation-and-driver-issues-v3-2.3526755/ I would add that never prefer a VM over a Linux Live session and better yet, installed in some reserved partition.

Reactions: mstrnemo

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
Always that I'm using Windows for a certain time with every device that I own as usual drivers are needed to be installed so finally this excessive number of drivers can cause some conflict.
The best bet right now would be starting from the scratch uninstalling all the drivers that you have then just install only what you need.
1.- https://developer.sony.com/develop/drivers/
2.- https://xiaomifirmware.com/download/13927/ extract it and connect your device when the tool prompts it for that.
3.- https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip extract it and put it in the main drive usually c: directory.
4.- For fastboot, in case your device is slightly old https://developer.sony.com/file/download/fastboot-driver/
These are more than enough to have it working.
Some of them could be redundant but won't hurt at all.

For easy task this also can be useful https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-installation-and-driver-issues-v3-2.3526755/ I would add that never prefer a VM over a Linux Live session and better yet, installed in some reserved partition.
I tried the linux one didnt work got some kind of error.

I geuss this is it i am gonna wipe win10 and then start over try the whole driver thing again.

Thanks

TheInfiniteAndroid

Aug 4, 2016
Hello,

Currently on a Meizu 18 Pro but I'm having a issue with VoLTE, when enabled my device shows all calls with "Unknown Caller" even if the number is store in my phone, when I disable VoLTE caller ID works again and shows the person's name/number, I'm not rooted & don't plan to unfortunately, contacted Meizu support, but there hasn't been a fix from them yet, any ideas in the meantime?

Thanks

u3500

Nov 14, 2020
Hello, i installed microg by using magisk (i saw it on modules list and thought that microg is for youtube venced) after installation my Google play services is gone, i uninstalled microg, but i don't know how to get google play services back again, can you help? (I am using redmi note 9 pro global edition, i guess joyuse?)

Inlacrimas

Nov 9, 2016
I have the op3 and the op7t pro and i want to use the msm tool to factory reset my op7t pro i have done this before with my one plus 3 and it usually showed up as qualcom q9008 under the device manager. This changed now and both devices show up as android i am not sure if i am missing drivers or anything but i just cant get it to register as q9008 any ideas what i can check or do to get them to show up as q9008 ?

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hello, i installed microg by using magisk (i saw it on modules list and thought that microg is for youtube venced) after installation my Google play services is gone, i uninstalled microg, but i don't know how to get google play services back again, can you help? (I am using redmi note 9 pro global edition, i guess joyuse?)
search youtube vanced, you download a utility called vanced manager. from that you can install YouTube vanced, vanced micro g and ymusic. microg, from magisk, is an alternative to Google play services. given that you are in a pickle and running stock ROM, would suggest a hard reset. after that, perhaps try installing a custom recovery like twrp and doing a full backup before messing around with stuff you haven't searched online.

Reactions: u3500

u3500

Nov 14, 2020
search youtube vanced, you download a utility called vanced manager. from that you can install YouTube vanced, vanced micro g and ymusic. microg, from magisk, is an alternative to Google play services. given that you are in a pickle and running stock ROM, would suggest a hard reset. after that, perhaps try installing a custom recovery like twrp and doing a full backup before messing around with stuff you haven't searched online.
I don't think i will open magisk ever again, I just needed it for a game.
Btw, I use eu rom, miui 12.0.3 and I have orange fox recovery.
Isn't there any other option then hard reset? I downloaded google play services from apkpure. Before it I couldn't use youtube or any other app, now I can use, but can't login, I press add account in youtube, but nothing happens.

Reactions: mstrnemo

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
I don't think i will open magisk ever again, I just needed it for a game.
Btw, I use eu rom, miui 12.0.3 and I have orange fox recovery.
Isn't there any other option then hard reset? I downloaded google play services from apkpure. Before it I couldn't use youtube or any other app, now I can use, but can't login, I press add account in youtube, but nothing happens.
u can also download alternative app store forexample aurora app store gives u acces to everything in the googleplaystore but without the need to haveing to log in.
or
just back up your stuf individually and then wipe everything when u it is finished u will have your playstore back problem solved goodluck

Top Liked Posts

I was hoping to learn more about this for future referance.
    but that i cant get this vbmeta file to work really bugs me ahhahaha
    i supose that if magisk basicly does the same then i geuss ill leave it at that
    Well, my latest reply may contain some clue about that, if you tried the other commands... if you already unlocked critical partitions... some devices haven't implemented dm-verity... your device doesn't accept a generic (unsigned) vbmeta image... your device accepts only signed (or patched) images for some specific partition ... it should be that Magisk can interfere too by tapping it some way so tried again prior to root, try with the one that should include your stock ROM, without consider all these points the conclusion is less than nothing
    although i do wonder how do you update a gsi ? does it work the same as a custom rom where u flash over it ? if so then i take it magisk needs to uninstalled before that ?
    Basically it does, regarding Magisk you should need to reinstall it for your next GSI.
    Anyway i wish there was more out there about all this gsi stuf would make it easier oh and i tried phh treble aosp gsi first worked pretty wel after i tried linage os 18.1 gsi wich i have been using the past day and it works pretty well camera doesnt work and some little glitches here and there and batterie life isnt as good but all in all i am impressed.
    Well, my latest reply may contain some clue about that, if you tried the other commands... if you already unlocked critical partitions... some devices haven't implemented dm-verity... your device doesn't accept a generic (unsigned) vbmeta image... your device accepts only signed (or patched) images for some specific partition ... it should be that Magisk can interfere too by tapping it some way so tried again prior to root, try with the one that should include your stock ROM, without consider all these points the conclusion is less than nothing

Basically it does, regarding Magisk you should need to reinstall it for your next GSI.
    Thank you for all your help.
    I do a lot of shell scripting. Recently i was looking into something on my current device, and I couldn't work out how to do it, so hopefully someone here would know.

The question is basically, for an updated system app, how do you find the original APK location?

When a system app gets updated (for example by the playstore), it will get installed to /data/app however, before it gets updated, it may be located in /system/app; and would stilll be there. When It is updated, retrieving its location, it will return the /data/app location, but I cant seem to find how to retrieve its "original" system location.

To find examples, I can use the following to retrive a list of system apps
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-s;
    To then find its current install location
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-f;
    and grep out the specific package I am looking for.

However, if the system package has been updated, it will only give me the /data/app path.

Is there anyway (without uninstalling the update) to retrieve the original location?
    if anyone else is interested, I think I found the answer.
    dumpsys package $package_id;
    Gives details of the current install and the original package,
    also may want to delete ur serial #. could be used for bad purposes and is not needed except by you.
    did you just quote his SN# :LOL:
    Hey, GCam suits on what basis. Is it by the Android versions or by the processor basis. Im using Lenovo k10 note which is android 9 and SD 710. I like to install GCam 8 or more.
    It's based on both, this app will help you find the appropriate for your device if there’s available https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.granturismo.gcamator&hl=es_PY&gl=US
    I wish I could help, but I can't here. I had a S2, a GNex, and an S3. When Sammy announced Knox for the S4, I left. I couldn't be happier. Samsung devices are GREAT for the normal consumer. For people who root, they are a hassle. Being able to just boot to bootloader and use fastboot commands is glorious.

There are Samsung experts (I am far from one at this point in time) on this thread. Hopefully one of them picks up on your post. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!
    NICE! Thank you for posting the solution.

As a side note, rooting the Pixel 5 on Android 12 has an issue with vbmeta as well. After an update, you need to flash the vbmeta.img with disabling verification and verity in fastboot, followed with a "-w" to wipe your phone. In future updates if you sideload the OTA you can boot immediately to bootloader and flash vbmeta with disabling verification and verity without a wipe. If you screw up and boot to system first, you'll have to use "-w" and wipe again
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo