• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory
Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
I don't think i will open magisk ever again, I just needed it for a game.
Btw, I use eu rom, miui 12.0.3 and I have orange fox recovery.
Isn't there any other option then hard reset? I downloaded google play services from apkpure. Before it I couldn't use youtube or any other app, now I can use, but can't login, I press add account in youtube, but nothing happens.
most likely flashing microg on your device broke something at Google play services. if you think you can handle troubleshooting it and fixing it yourself, then there isn't a need for hard reset. if you don't feel like that would be a easy matter, my advice would be to hard reset it. messing around with stuff you aren't familiar could result in a soft brick, which is way worse than broken Google play services. make a hard reset, take a full backup with recovery, then mess around with magisk.

second, with magisk most of the time you are tweaking the game. if your phone can't handle the game without root, doubt you will improve it by a lot.

thailinh.bui

Jun 15, 2021
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time

NO TROLLING

NO NAME CALLING

NO RIDICULING

NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
HI EVERYONE!
I want to flash new rom for my phone (Wiko View Max). But it isn't support twrp or cwm. Is there any way that I can flash my new rom for my phone?
Btw, I also wanna convert my file rom: .xz (.img.xz) into .zip file.
That it's.
Thanks for reading this!

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
HI EVERYONE!
I want to flash new rom for my phone (Wiko View Max). But it isn't support twrp or cwm. Is there any way that I can flash my new rom for my phone?
Btw, I also wanna convert my file rom: .xz (.img.xz) into .zip file.
That it's.
Thanks for reading this!
If you are looking for a GSI to flash onto your device then if it the file comes in xz format you can uncompress it using 7zip and after that the image inside is to flash it through fastboot, no need to convert it in zip format.

Reactions: thailinh.bui

furquim97

Jun 16, 2021
Is there any way to move apps or app data to the SD card using root or something like this on Android 11? I've tried partitioning my SD Card and using Link2SD as I've seen people suggesting but I have not been able to make it work.

Thanks in advance.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Is there any way to move apps or app data to the SD card using root or something like this on Android 11? I've tried partitioning my SD Card and using Link2SD as I've seen people suggesting but I have not been able to make it work.
that sounds right up the Magisk path.

Alternatively, shell commands may succeed where your UI apps have failed. Many years ago I had a boot script (from XDA) that swapped the whole of my 0.5GB data partition with a 3GB partition on the sdcard. And that was well before Magisk.

I dont need to do it, so you will need to either do it yourself, or maybe ask on the magisk thread if anyone has done or knows of similar. I know the Vanced module reoplaces the youtube APK, so thats the app half to get you started.

Last edited:

furquim97

Jun 16, 2021
that sounds right up the Magisk path.

Alternatively, shell commands may succeed where your UI apps have failed. Many years ago I had a boot script (from XDA) that swapped the whole of my 0.5GB data partition with a 3GB partition on the sdcard. And that was well before Magisk.

I dont need to do it, so you will need to either do it yourself, or maybe ask on the magisk thread if anyone has done or knows of similar. I know the Vanced module reoplaces the youtube APK, so thats the app half to get you started.
I'm getting an error saying that my SD Card is "read-only" when trying to use Link2SD

kon123132

Jun 16, 2021
Hi everyone,my mom did something to her phone ( NOKIA 3.4) and now the phone has a password wich no one knows what it is.Also doesnt remember gmail password.... So when i enter recovery mode there are only 3 options I dont know what to do really, usd debugger cant be turned on cuz the phone i locked, bootloader is locked.Any help will be really appreciated.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi everyone,my mom did something to her phone ( NOKIA 3.4) and now the phone has a password wich no one knows what it is.Also doesnt remember gmail password.... So when i enter recovery mode there are only 3 options I dont know what to do really, usd debugger cant be turned on cuz the phone i locked, bootloader is locked.Any help will be really appreciated.
First, the images are blurry and hard to read. make better photos or write what it says.

second, in such case, your best bet would be to take the phone in service, since there isn't something you can do on your own, given you lack USB debugging.

Reactions: konqvihur4444

konqvihur4444

Jun 17, 2021
First, the images are blurry and hard to read. make better photos or write what it says.

second, in such case, your best bet would be to take the phone in service, since there isn't something you can do on your own, given you lack USB debugging.
Hi, Im using another account because Im at work now.When I enter recovery it shows me only 3 options
-------
Reboot system
Enter Fastboot
Power off
------
system api : 3
---------
I told my mom to take the phone to a service.They told her that its pretty easy problem to fix and they wont do it, cuz they have a lot of work....... She doesnt care if the data is lost, she just want to use the phone again.
Any help will be really appreciated.

ajay.kumar_sangwan

Jun 17, 2021
hello everyone, I installed arrow 11 OS in Moto G5s Plus, and I got an update today and it's installing for the past 6 hrs. i don't know what to do, please reply fast.

Attachments

• IMG_20210617_151702.jpg
    IMG_20210617_151702.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210617_151659.jpg
    IMG_20210617_151659.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 6

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
hello everyone, I installed arrow 11 OS in Moto G5s Plus, and I got an update today and it's installing for the past 6 hrs. i don't know what to do, please reply fast.
The arrow most likely looks like something in the heaven and it reveals nothing of the issue, you can check instead within the TWRP logs or if you are transferring/sideloading it from the PC then you could find something by there checking in the terminal message, if it is an OTA update then it is particularly up to the ROM development itself.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi, Im using another account because Im at work now.When I enter recovery it shows me only 3 options
-------
Reboot system
Enter Fastboot
Power off
------
system api : 3
---------
I told my mom to take the phone to a service.They told her that its pretty easy problem to fix and they wont do it, cuz they have a lot of work....... She doesnt care if the data is lost, she just want to use the phone again.
Any help will be really appreciated.
The image you posted previously say things different than what you are transcribing here, in the fastbootd mode you had the option to boot to recovery, do that; go to recovery, from there you would find an option to factory reset/format data.

kon123132

Jun 16, 2021
The image you posted previously say things different than what you are transcribing here, in the fastbootd mode you had the option to boot to recovery, do that; go to recovery, from there you would find an option to factory reset/format data.
Hi click on the photo and it will open up the other photos.There you can see that in recovery only 3 options are dipslayed.Only
Reboot system
Enter Fastboot
Power off

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi click on the photo and it will open up the other photos.There you can see that in recovery only 3 options are dipslayed.Only
Reboot system
Enter Fastboot
Power off
Do you mean that from the fastbootd (read well) mode you did go to recovery menu and this was what you found?
Did you try to go to bootloader from fastbootd mode?
And additionally go to fastboot mode from the recovery menu? (check the differences)
The idea is that fastbootd mode would offers different thing that fastboot mode option.
Do you have bootloader unlocked? (I don´t think but just in case.

Q1: Why doesn't the Samsung A20e have its own thread, but rather has some topics mixed inside the Samsung A20, without any indication of which part of the stuff for the Samsung A20 also work for the A20e, if the case? It's like the Samsung A20e isn't even considered a "real" Samsung phone...

Q2: recommended camera software for a Samsung A20e or for a generic Samsung device ...? I am running Lineage 18.1 GSI.

kon123132

Jun 16, 2021
Do you mean that from the fastbootd (read well) mode you did go to recovery menu and this was what you found?
And additionally go to fastboot mode from the recovery menu? (check the differences)
The idea is that fastbootd mode would offers different thing that fastboot mode option.
Exactly.

kon123132

Jun 16, 2021
Yes thats what it shows when i go from fastbootd mode to recovery menu. I doesnt matter how I open recovery it only display these 3 options.Boot loader is also locked
.... SORRY FOR THE SPAM. Dont know how to delete messages.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Yes thats what it shows when i go from fastbootd mode to recovery menu. I doesnt matter how I open recovery it only display these 3 options.Boot loader is also locked
.... SORRY FOR THE SPAM. Dont know how to delete messages.
No need to open multiple replies, you can respond just exactly where you want cutting down the text.

Well, it´s strange that the format data/factory reset isn´t an option but to get worst the things it´s an A/B device that doesn´t use exactly a recovery with all the features due to the lack of recovery partition.

Try with this tool what you can do with https://technastic.com/flash-stock-rom-nokia-ost-tool/ I know it could need USB debugging to be activated and bootloader to be locked usually was that way, check if it is the case.

If not then the last resort prior to take it to a service centre would be "Nokia 3.4 EDL mode flkashing methods", search this way and you´d find some tutorials in YT and more sites.

Top Liked Posts

Well, my latest reply may contain some clue about that, if you tried the other commands... if you already unlocked critical partitions... some devices haven't implemented dm-verity... your device doesn't accept a generic (unsigned) vbmeta image... your device accepts only signed (or patched) images for some specific partition ... it should be that Magisk can interfere too by tapping it some way so tried again prior to root, try with the one that should include your stock ROM, without consider all these points the conclusion is less than nothing

Basically it does, regarding Magisk you should need to reinstall it for your next GSI.
    Thank you for all your help.
    I do a lot of shell scripting. Recently i was looking into something on my current device, and I couldn't work out how to do it, so hopefully someone here would know.

The question is basically, for an updated system app, how do you find the original APK location?

When a system app gets updated (for example by the playstore), it will get installed to /data/app however, before it gets updated, it may be located in /system/app; and would stilll be there. When It is updated, retrieving its location, it will return the /data/app location, but I cant seem to find how to retrieve its "original" system location.

To find examples, I can use the following to retrive a list of system apps
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-s;
    To then find its current install location
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-f;
    and grep out the specific package I am looking for.

However, if the system package has been updated, it will only give me the /data/app path.

Is there anyway (without uninstalling the update) to retrieve the original location?
    if anyone else is interested, I think I found the answer.
    dumpsys package $package_id;
    Gives details of the current install and the original package,
    also may want to delete ur serial #. could be used for bad purposes and is not needed except by you.
    did you just quote his SN# :LOL:
    Hey, GCam suits on what basis. Is it by the Android versions or by the processor basis. Im using Lenovo k10 note which is android 9 and SD 710. I like to install GCam 8 or more.
    It's based on both, this app will help you find the appropriate for your device if there’s available https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.granturismo.gcamator&hl=es_PY&gl=US
    I wish I could help, but I can't here. I had a S2, a GNex, and an S3. When Sammy announced Knox for the S4, I left. I couldn't be happier. Samsung devices are GREAT for the normal consumer. For people who root, they are a hassle. Being able to just boot to bootloader and use fastboot commands is glorious.

There are Samsung experts (I am far from one at this point in time) on this thread. Hopefully one of them picks up on your post. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!
    NICE! Thank you for posting the solution.

As a side note, rooting the Pixel 5 on Android 12 has an issue with vbmeta as well. After an update, you need to flash the vbmeta.img with disabling verification and verity in fastboot, followed with a "-w" to wipe your phone. In future updates if you sideload the OTA you can boot immediately to bootloader and flash vbmeta with disabling verification and verity without a wipe. If you screw up and boot to system first, you'll have to use "-w" and wipe again

NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

HALL OF FAME

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

HTML:
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo