• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory
Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Provided

Sep 9, 2017
Motorola One Vision
Hey! So I am in the process of rooting my phone (Motorola One Vision)
I've unlocked the bootloader and am following a tutorial to flash certain things to root it.
So far everything has been clear, like flash vbmeta_something.img
but the next step is to just flash magisk. since im still in twrp, does this mean the .apk? or the .zip of the github source code

nguyenthanhduy

Jun 18, 2021
How to reduce google pixel 4 screen resolution from fullhd to hd? thanks everyone!

Làm thế nào để giảm độ phân giải màn hình google pixel 4 từ fullhd xuống hd? cảm ơn mọi người!

Last edited by a moderator:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hey! So I am in the process of rooting my phone (Motorola One Vision)
I've unlocked the bootloader and am following a tutorial to flash certain things to root it.
So far everything has been clear, like flash vbmeta_something.img
but the next step is to just flash magisk. since im still in twrp, does this mean the .apk? or the .zip of the github source code
In newer releases you have to change the extension of the file from apk to zip and can be flashed through a custom recovery.

Provided

Sep 9, 2017
Motorola One Vision
In newer releases you have to change the extension of the file from apk to zip and can be flashed through a custom recovery.
thanks, one more question. in the first steps the guide has these lines of code:

fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_patch.img
fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-test3.img

but later on it just says "Flash Magisk and Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip."
i understand that it is the zip of the magisk file, but in order to do the fastboot flash command, i have to specify what partition, and the guide doesnt say what partition, so i don't know how to flash those two. unless i am supposed to do this trough twrp??

this is the post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/twrp-3-3-1-0-root-updated-kane-troika.4102839/
i am at the part where it is the root-first time-1st method

thanks again

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
thanks, one more question. in the first steps the guide has these lines of code:

fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_patch.img
fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-test3.img
These steps are done through fastboot.
but later on it just says "Flash Magisk and Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip."
i understand that it is the zip of the magisk file,
That´s it.
but in order to do the fastboot flash command, i have to specify what partition, and the guide doesnt say what partition, so i don't know how to flash those two. unless i am supposed to do this trough twrp??

this is the post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/twrp-3-3-1-0-root-updated-kane-troika.4102839/
i am at the part where it is the root-first time-1st method

thanks again
When no partition is mentioned it´ll target to the active one.

FindingShrek

Apr 6, 2021
Philippines
Format your card to a linux ty6pe format. Something like EXt4 or F2FS. NTFS is a windows format and is only partially supported on Android for convenience, not for daily use.
Thanks for suggestion but it doesn't work..

BTW I already fixed it... After a few months not using it and tried to put again on my laptop
it's unallocated partition suddenly show up when i tried to open it through EASEUS PARTITION MASTER... Maybe my laptop/pc has a problem/issue reading my SD CARD unallocated partiton..

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Q1: Why doesn't the Samsung A20e have its own thread, but rather has some topics mixed inside the Samsung A20, without any indication of which part of the stuff for the Samsung A20 also work for the A20e, if the case? It's like the Samsung A20e isn't even considered a "real" Samsung phone...

Q2: recommended camera software for a Samsung A20e or for a generic Samsung device ...? I am running Lineage 18.1 GSI.
it's because it isn't a popular phone. threads are being made by users. if the number of users having this phone on xda is quite small, no one makes a thread for it

Reactions: Crrrr

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Q1: Why doesn't the Samsung A20e have its own thread, but rather has some topics mixed inside the Samsung A20, without any indication of which part of the stuff for the Samsung A20 also work for the A20e, if the case? It's like the Samsung A20e isn't even considered a "real" Samsung phone...

Q2: recommended camera software for a Samsung A20e or for a generic Samsung device ...? I am running Lineage 18.1 GSI.
For your camera, a GENERIC camera (but very complex) for most devices is Open Camera, which you can find on the playstore.

it's because it isn't a popular phone. threads are being made by users. if the number of users having this phone on xda is quite small, no one makes a thread for it

@crrr "If you build it, they will come"

Last edited:
For your camera, a GENERIC camera (but very complex) for most devices is Open Camera, which you can find on the playstore.

@crrr "If you build it, they will come"

I've tried Open Camera (also on F-droid), but it seems to over light the screen when using it and it is kind of annoying. Also, can't see noticeable differences.

Out of all generic camera tried so far I would say (all available on F-droid, except Camera Go):
1. FreeDCam: kind of very hard to use, but takes slightly better photos and has additional options
2. Camera Go (downloaded from XDA): can't see any improvements in photo quality, but has additional options
3. Lineage camera: ok photos, but not verry easy to use
4. Simple Camera: the same ok photos, but even harder to use

UnbrickMyHeart

Jun 20, 2021
My Google Pixel 3 (2018) regular size phone seems to have "hard" bricked itself shortly after the latest Android update. Last I knew, my phone had about 70% battery and was just chilling next to me not on a charger. When I went to use it it was completely unresponsive.

I've tried holding the power button for obscene amounts of time and also tried holding the power and volume down button. I've tried different chargers and also plugged it into my laptop. No device seems to be recognized by my laptop in File Explorer, but if I hold the power button long enough while it's connected, my laptop makes the sound like a device disconnects and then reconnects.

I contacted the official Google support line but they were unable to help.

Is there anything else I can do to try and get this phone working again? I was hoping to wait to upgrade until the Pixel 6 comes out later this year.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
My Google Pixel 3 (2018) regular size phone seems to have "hard" bricked itself shortly after the latest Android update. Last I knew, my phone had about 70% battery and was just chilling next to me not on a charger. When I went to use it it was completely unresponsive.

I've tried holding the power button for obscene amounts of time and also tried holding the power and volume down button. I've tried different chargers and also plugged it into my laptop. No device seems to be recognized by my laptop in File Explorer, but if I hold the power button long enough while it's connected, my laptop makes the sound like a device disconnects and then reconnects.

I contacted the official Google support line but they were unable to help.

Is there anything else I can do to try and get this phone working again? I was hoping to wait to upgrade until the Pixel 6 comes out later this year.
have you checked this reddit post beforehand? https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleFi/comments/f5v326

PseudoMax

Dec 20, 2005
Hi, I hope someone here can help...

I have a relatively cheap Chinese tablet that has Android installed. It is my daughter's tablet and she forgot her PIN (and that is after trying all possible PINs that I store over the years). I thought ... not a problem so I went into the developer options on the tablet and factory reset it and wiped the cache. However, somehow that has corrupted the user data. So now:
- I can boot to the setup screen.
- I connect to WiFi
- I get told that the tablet has been reset and therefore needs to be logged into from a previous user (I assume a security measure)
- I then go through the process of using my google account (which was the primary account on the tablet before)
- It successfully goes through the whole process, but at the end says an 'unknown error' occurred and starts over (and note, it must at least in part be recognising my account as it comes up with all the expected account details as I go through... and I have tried the wrong information as well as different gmail accounts and then received an error immediately ... so it clearly knows my gmail account is correct but refuses to unlock the tablet)
- I have been in touch with the manufacturer and in fairness they have tried to be helpful, but have not provided me with a firmware to use (perhaps because it can't be used?)
- I have also tried 'adb' but I can see the device and even get to the 'sideload' option but can't shell into the device as I get "This adb server's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set". I have deleted the '.android' folder but although it seems to reset the adb server it does not allow me to shell in (I assume because the device is not rooted?)

Can anyone help me properly clear the corrupt files so I can restart from a genuine factory setup?

Thanks

Hello,

As there is no separate thread for the Samsung Galaxy A20e where you can find all relevant information, I wanted to ask if it is possible in any way that I create one and try to bring up all the applicable information from the general thread and from the A20 thread.

I am not a tech person, but I am able to read, understand to organize information.

If yes, what would I have to do? I haven't seen any links to someone to talk to about this subject...

Regards,

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hello,

As there is no separate thread for the Samsung Galaxy A20e where you can find all relevant information, I wanted to ask if it is possible in any way that I create one and try to bring up all the applicable information from the general thread and from the A20 thread.

I am not a tech person, but I am able to read, understand to organize information.

If yes, what would I have to do? I haven't seen any links to someone to talk to about this subject...

Regards,
All regarding the Galaxy A20e can be discussed within the G-A20´s Forum.
You can post a new thread in the proper section.
Both devices share many aspects at the cores, the main differences are just how they look and feel for the user, this means that some development for the A20 with some (minimal) change/s also can suit for its modest twin A20e variant but this is up to the developers.

rwms

Jun 21, 2021
Hello good people. I need your wisdom.
I have the phone of a deceased relative and I've been tasked with recovering the pictures from it.
The phone has a locked SIM but I can get the PUC from the ISP.
The phone is also locked with a pattern which we don't know.
I've seen that you can get rid of the pattern with Aroma File Manager but from what I gather that needs TWRP and an unlocked bootloader. How can I do that without access to the phone and without data loss ?

I will try to gain access to the google account but checking if she's logged in some PC in the house. Maybe I'm lucky and everything is backed up there.

El-oi

Jun 21, 2021
Hi guys, I need some help with a query, i have been asking myself if its possible to have any sinergy between a micro SD inserted on a phone(android) and an app. I mean if its possible to program an android app that could use some data storaged in the micro SD, is that possible or android apps are limited to the data in the phone?.Thanks

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
Always that I'm using Windows for a certain time with every device that I own as usual drivers are needed to be installed so finally this excessive number of drivers can cause some conflict.
The best bet right now would be starting from the scratch uninstalling all the drivers that you have then just install only what you need.
1.- https://developer.sony.com/develop/drivers/
2.- https://xiaomifirmware.com/download/13927/ extract it and connect your device when the tool prompts it for that.
3.- https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip extract it and put it in the main drive usually c: directory.
4.- For fastboot, in case your device is slightly old https://developer.sony.com/file/download/fastboot-driver/
These are more than enough to have it working.
Some of them could be redundant but won't hurt at all.

For easy task this also can be useful https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-installation-and-driver-issues-v3-2.3526755/ I would add that never prefer a VM over a Linux Live session and better yet, installed in some reserved partition.
Hi i wanted to update

i reinstalled windows10 and then installed everything again and adb fastboot worked.

But now i have a strange new problem this is what i have done before hand

unlocked bootloader
installed twrp3.5.2 latest version

now when i try to flash the rom i get a error message saying invalid zip file ???

i reinstalled twrp tried again nothing
installed a older twrp nothing
redownloaded the file and flash and nothing

Have u ever seen something like this and know what causes it?

FAU57

Mar 9, 2021
Okay hi everyone, i really hope I'm putting this in the right place because i think i have at least a general idea of what i need to do but part of the problem I'm having is figuring out where to get all the files and stuff ill actually need, I've done quite a bit of reading on the topic and it does seem possible but no one guide is enough. OKAY SO

i am looking to remove windows 8.1 RT from an ASUS TF600T. After that i would like to put some other operating system on the device. Basically windows 8.1 RT is unusable at this point, i can only access like half the web and theres literally like no apps for anything. So if theres an android operating system i can install that would be cool, id even settle from something like Chromium OS or some kinda linux port, hell if its possible id even just stick windows 10 on it. its a fairly powerful device on its own but without support from ASUS or Windows its basically a glorified paperweight. SO if anyone has any ideas or knows of a good guide to do what i need to please point me in the right direction. Lastly i just want to say thanks for reading this post and i appreciate your time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I do a lot of shell scripting. Recently i was looking into something on my current device, and I couldn't work out how to do it, so hopefully someone here would know.

The question is basically, for an updated system app, how do you find the original APK location?

When a system app gets updated (for example by the playstore), it will get installed to /data/app however, before it gets updated, it may be located in /system/app; and would stilll be there. When It is updated, retrieving its location, it will return the /data/app location, but I cant seem to find how to retrieve its "original" system location.

To find examples, I can use the following to retrive a list of system apps
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-s;
    To then find its current install location
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-f;
    and grep out the specific package I am looking for.

However, if the system package has been updated, it will only give me the /data/app path.

Is there anyway (without uninstalling the update) to retrieve the original location?
    if anyone else is interested, I think I found the answer.
    dumpsys package $package_id;
    Gives details of the current install and the original package,
    also may want to delete ur serial #. could be used for bad purposes and is not needed except by you.
    did you just quote his SN# :LOL:
    I wish I could help, but I can't here. I had a S2, a GNex, and an S3. When Sammy announced Knox for the S4, I left. I couldn't be happier. Samsung devices are GREAT for the normal consumer. For people who root, they are a hassle. Being able to just boot to bootloader and use fastboot commands is glorious.

There are Samsung experts (I am far from one at this point in time) on this thread. Hopefully one of them picks up on your post. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!
    NICE! Thank you for posting the solution.

As a side note, rooting the Pixel 5 on Android 12 has an issue with vbmeta as well. After an update, you need to flash the vbmeta.img with disabling verification and verity in fastboot, followed with a "-w" to wipe your phone. In future updates if you sideload the OTA you can boot immediately to bootloader and flash vbmeta with disabling verification and verity without a wipe. If you screw up and boot to system first, you'll have to use "-w" and wipe again
    Hey, GCam suits on what basis. Is it by the Android versions or by the processor basis. Im using Lenovo k10 note which is android 9 and SD 710. I like to install GCam 8 or more.
    It's based on both, this app will help you find the appropriate for your device if there’s available https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.granturismo.gcamator&hl=es_PY&gl=US
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo