• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory
Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi i wanted to update

i reinstalled windows10 and then installed everything again and adb fastboot worked.

But now i have a strange new problem this is what i have done before hand

unlocked bootloader
installed twrp3.5.2 latest version

now when i try to flash the rom i get a error message saying invalid zip file ???

i reinstalled twrp tried again nothing
installed a older twrp nothing
redownloaded the file and flash and nothing

Have u ever seen something like this and know what causes it?
This happened many times, you have to double check the integrity of your zip file, there is some applications that can do that in Windows, also consider that moving/copying the zip file something in the structure may change, check in TWRP if the md5sum verification is active, check too if Windows is detecting the zip file as a kind of trojan/virus, Windows could "hack" the zip file turning it invalidate (I know it, it sounds strange)

The issue is addressed clearly to the zip itself and not either to your device or the TWRP version.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Okay hi everyone, i really hope I'm putting this in the right place because i think i have at least a general idea of what i need to do but part of the problem I'm having is figuring out where to get all the files and stuff ill actually need, I've done quite a bit of reading on the topic and it does seem possible but no one guide is enough. OKAY SO

i am looking to remove windows 8.1 RT from an ASUS TF600T. After that i would like to put some other operating system on the device. Basically windows 8.1 RT is unusable at this point, i can only access like half the web and theres literally like no apps for anything. So if theres an android operating system i can install that would be cool, id even settle from something like Chromium OS or some kinda linux port, hell if its possible id even just stick windows 10 on it. its a fairly powerful device on its own but without support from ASUS or Windows its basically a glorified paperweight. SO if anyone has any ideas or knows of a good guide to do what i need to please point me in the right direction. Lastly i just want to say thanks for reading this post and i appreciate your time.
hey there. I ve searched around about your tablet, seems that is locked pretty tight, with a encrypted key that prevent anything else except for windows rt from booting up.

I did find on YouTube this video which might be the solution. (
) if you aren't terrible fond of that tablet anymore you could give it a go.

afterwards, if everything is good, you could try to use this script ( https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/6ipa6c ). been using it on a windows 10 laptop, does provides significant performance improvements. keep in mind, haven't used windows rt, so I don't know if it will work.

Last edited:

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
This happened many times, you have to double check the integrity of your zip file, there is some applications that can do that in Windows, also consider that moving/copying the zip file something in the structure may change, check in TWRP if the md5sum verification is active, check too if Windows is detecting the zip file as a kind of trojan/virus, Windows could "hack" the zip file turning it invalidate (I know it, it sounds strange)

The issue is addressed clearly to the zip itself and not either to your device or the TWRP version.

I found a program and checked it seems oke.
windows doesnt see it as a virus.
if with md5 verification u mean zip check then i tried it both. (i dont see anything called that)

also odd i tried it with another custom rom and that one worked and did it exactly the same way wtf ?

FAU57

Mar 9, 2021
hey there. I ve searched around about your tablet, seems that is locked pretty tight, with a encrypted key that prevent anything else except for windows rt from booting up.

I did find on YouTube this video which might be the solution. (
) if you aren't terrible fond of that tablet anymore you could give it a go.

afterwards, if everything is good, you could try to use this script ( https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/6ipa6c ). been using it on a windows 10 laptop, does provides significant performance improvements. keep in mind, haven't used windows rt, so I don't know if it will work.
hey so is this just hear say and not an actual things

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I found a program and checked it seems oke.
PeaZip is a good tool for that.
windows doesnt see it as a virus.
if with md5 verification u mean zip check then i tried it both. (i dont see anything called that)
I meant disabling Zip signature verification.
also odd i tried it with another custom rom and that one worked and did it exactly the same way wtf ?
It might be that the zip was corrupted in the sideload process or the files inside contains something unreadable for TWRP ie. a bad flasher script or non present at all, check inside the zip what you find.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Hi guys, I need some help with a query, i have been asking myself if its possible to have any sinergy between a micro SD inserted on a phone(android) and an app. I mean if its possible to program an android app that could use some data storaged in the micro SD, is that possible or android apps are limited to the data in the phone?.Thanks
Of course. If apps could not use all the data on a 512GB sd card, what use would it be? That would be 512GB of unusable space.

There are really simple examples, such as a video player or Music app. They play large files sitting on your SDCard.

These are simple examples, but one could imagine a large app specific file, that only one specific custom app could read or write to; instead of something generic like an MP3/

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
PeaZip is a good tool for that.

I meant disabling Zip signature verification.

It might be that the zip was corrupted in the sideload process or the files inside contains something unreadable for TWRP ie. a bad flasher script or non present at all, check inside the zip what you find.

I ran peazip it shows no problems

zip signature verification is of

When i open the zip on computer there is another zipfile and when i open that it has the following inside

install
meta-inf
boot.img
system.new.dat.br
system.patch.dat
system.transfer.list
vender.new.dat.br
vendor.patch.dat
vendor.transfer.list

El-oi

Jun 21, 2021
Of course. If apps could not use all the data on a 512GB sd card, what use would it be? That would be 512GB of unusable space.

There are really simple examples, such as a video player or Music app. They play large files sitting on your SDCard.

These are simple examples, but one could imagine a large app specific file, that only one specific custom app could read or write to; instead of something generic like an MP3/
Thats nice to read, in addition to this im not so into android programming, i asume that there is like a "library" that has some functions to read-write in the sd memory or something like that?What im trying to do basically is an app that could display some videos/docs that could be storaged in a micro sd, in a more family-friendly way in contrast to a regular file manager.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Reactions: mstrnemo

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Thats nice to read, in addition to this im not so into android programming, i asume that there is like a "library" that has some functions to read-write in the sd memory or something like that?What im trying to do basically is an app that could display some videos/docs that could be storaged in a micro sd, in a more family-friendly way in contrast to a regular file manager.
Wait a sec, you say " im not so into android programming" but then say "What im trying to do basically is an app". Thats kinda contradictory.

At a high level, the MediaDB scans and stores a link to all media found on your device. Normally apps query the Media DB (through the content provider) to return the file-types they wish/can "play" As such, each music player does not need to handle/find the contents on your SDCard, they all simply query the Media DB.

Reactions: El-oi

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
A zip inside the main zip? if it´s the case this is the problem.
That is what it is called when i hover over it with my mouse also i stil have peazip installed so when i click it it open it in peazip as a folder so it doesnt get unpacked huh ? does that mean it isnt a zipfile or is it ?

When i downloaded this file it was off this internetlocker site thing and when i click download it says wait zip in progress ? could that be it ?

should i try flashing just the so called zipfile inside ? whats the worse that can happen?

El-oi

Jun 21, 2021
Wait a sec, you say " im not so into android programming" but then say "What im trying to do basically is an app". Thats kinda contradictory.

At a high level, the MediaDB scans and stores a link to all media found on your device. Normally apps query the Media DB (through the content provider) to return the file-types they wish/can "play" As such, each music player does not need to handle/find the contents on your SDCard, they all simply query the Media DB.
Oops, yeah your right, I would probably be working with other people more into android programming but in order to tell them what i want to do, i should know if this kind of app is possible or not and also to know what kind of resources are available to do this. Thats what i wanted to say. On the other hand, so in that way i assume that a regular file manager is based on queries to the Media DB, right?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
That is what it is called when i hover over it with my mouse also i stil have peazip installed so when i click it it open it in peazip as a folder so it doesnt get unpacked huh ? does that mean it isnt a zipfile or is it ?
If I understood well; open it is different that unpack it, the zip inside the zip still remains there. Depending in the browser you choose, for example FireFox offers at the time to download a zip the option to "open it with" or "save it to" I always choose "save it to", also in case you download it through Mega there is an option to download it as zip that could confuse even more.
When i downloaded this file it was off this internetlocker site thing and when i click download it says wait zip in progress ? could that be it ?
It´s highly probable that the "antivirus" as they do some kind of checking inside the zip file they corrupted it or simply by cutting internet connection some browsers can deal well with that and can´t restart exactly where it left prior to this happened.
should i try flashing just the so called zipfile inside ? whats the worse that can happen?
Of course, TWRP can´t unpack a zip if doesn´t have before that a set of instructions to do it AKA a flasher script. The files that you showed and are inside the second zip look like the correct starting from Android 9 and if they´re for your device are supposed to not damage your device. All the errors may come from the mistakes that I pointed out before.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
how can i do it? can you tell me more, pls!!
Ages have passed that I don´t remember exactly your issue but if I am not wrong you wished to flash a GSI on a device that doesn´t have a custom recovery, in this case you just have to decompress from one of the available GSI in the AOSP GSI project or other/s, in case they come in tgz format, from there you get an image to flash it in the right partition.

This explain some additional steps https://source.android.com/setup/build/gsi and here´s a useful site regarding that https://www.androidsage.com/2019/02/13/download-android-q-gsi-generic-system-image-project-treble/

Reactions: thailinh.bui

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
hey so is this just hear say and not an actual things
I don´t know particularly about your device but I think you should go to the BIOS/UEFI and you´d need to perform 2 things; clear the DRM keys licenses and disable secure boot, if these actions can´t be done then probably you can´t change the OS.

Depending in your BIOS/UEFI settings, it includes a way to backup the keys licenses before but it could be that the option to disable secure boot it´s grayed out, anyway there are newer Linux distros that can work with but for a different Windows version won´t work (probably).

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
If I understood well; open it is different that unpack it, the zip inside the zip still remains there. Depending in the browser you choose, for example FireFox offers at the time to download a zip the option to "open it with" or "save it to" I always choose "save it to", also in case you download it through Mega there is an option to download it as zip that could confuse even more.

It´s highly probable that the "antivirus" as they do some kind of checking inside the zip file they corrupted it or simply by cutting internet connection some browsers can deal well with that and can´t restart exactly where it left prior to this happened.

Of course, TWRP can´t unpack a zip if doesn´t have before that a set of instructions to do it AKA a flasher script. The files that you showed and are inside the second zip look like the correct starting from Android 9 and if they´re for your device are supposed to not damage your device. All the errors may come from the mistakes that I pointed out before.

So i tried to flash it with the zipfile inside the zipfile and it worked !

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UVFwf6h9X3Y/hqdefault.jpg

I couldnt have done it without you!

Thank you so much u should get a raise!

Edit: however because i didnt wipe the current rom of the phone it did a dirty flash wich also happend before this one ... if there was a peble between my cheeks i would have popped out a diamond ... scared of the old bootloop

once my phone is fully charged i will wipe the current os and then flash it again clean to avoid any possible problems so i know it is not of that.
cant be to carefull.

Reactions: SubwayChamp

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
I also have another qeustion and that is i want to go without google no gapps no playstore nothing i have tried it for 2 days now and i constantly get this annoying message how there is no play protect and it shows up constantly in surtent apps driving me crazy is there anything i can do about that ?

I am also going to root my phone i dont know if that can help?

Thrishen

Nov 13, 2017
Hello everybody. I dont know if you guys can help me with this but please assist me if you can.

So ive got a programming assignment due soon and i tried my ultimate best to do things right but its so hard and im struggling.

Could you guys please help me. I dont want to fail.

Attachments

• POE_2.pdf
    333.6 KB · Views: 1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I do a lot of shell scripting. Recently i was looking into something on my current device, and I couldn't work out how to do it, so hopefully someone here would know.

The question is basically, for an updated system app, how do you find the original APK location?

When a system app gets updated (for example by the playstore), it will get installed to /data/app however, before it gets updated, it may be located in /system/app; and would stilll be there. When It is updated, retrieving its location, it will return the /data/app location, but I cant seem to find how to retrieve its "original" system location.

To find examples, I can use the following to retrive a list of system apps
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-s;
    To then find its current install location
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-f;
    and grep out the specific package I am looking for.

However, if the system package has been updated, it will only give me the /data/app path.

Is there anyway (without uninstalling the update) to retrieve the original location?
    if anyone else is interested, I think I found the answer.
    dumpsys package $package_id;
    Gives details of the current install and the original package,
    also may want to delete ur serial #. could be used for bad purposes and is not needed except by you.
    did you just quote his SN# :LOL:
    I wish I could help, but I can't here. I had a S2, a GNex, and an S3. When Sammy announced Knox for the S4, I left. I couldn't be happier. Samsung devices are GREAT for the normal consumer. For people who root, they are a hassle. Being able to just boot to bootloader and use fastboot commands is glorious.

There are Samsung experts (I am far from one at this point in time) on this thread. Hopefully one of them picks up on your post. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!
    NICE! Thank you for posting the solution.

As a side note, rooting the Pixel 5 on Android 12 has an issue with vbmeta as well. After an update, you need to flash the vbmeta.img with disabling verification and verity in fastboot, followed with a "-w" to wipe your phone. In future updates if you sideload the OTA you can boot immediately to bootloader and flash vbmeta with disabling verification and verity without a wipe. If you screw up and boot to system first, you'll have to use "-w" and wipe again
    Hey, GCam suits on what basis. Is it by the Android versions or by the processor basis. Im using Lenovo k10 note which is android 9 and SD 710. I like to install GCam 8 or more.
    It's based on both, this app will help you find the appropriate for your device if there’s available https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.granturismo.gcamator&hl=es_PY&gl=US
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo