• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory
Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Domi_nik

Dec 26, 2013
Hello,

I have a Leeco Le S3 X626 and I want to install TWRP on it. I went on twrp.me to download it, but my device isn't listed there.
Which other model should I choose to install it?

twrp.png

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Oops, yeah your right, I would probably be working with other people more into android programming but in order to tell them what i want to do, i should know if this kind of app is possible or not and also to know what kind of resources are available to do this. Thats what i wanted to say. On the other hand, so in that way i assume that a regular file manager is based on queries to the Media DB, right?
I have not personally built a file manager, but if i did, i would NOT use the media db. Not everything gets scanned into the media db; for example, system files. A file manager is also based heavily on the tree structure of the file system, which is more difficult to extract from the media db. Also, it is based heavily around files, where a file-manager would also navigate through directory structures without files. etc etc etc If I was building a file manager, i would not be adding in the extra layer and source of complexity and possible inherit errors and weaknesses of the media db.

El-oi

Jun 21, 2021
I have not personally built a file manager, but if i did, i would NOT use the media db. Not everything gets scanned into the media db; for example, system files. A file manager is also based heavily on the tree structure of the file system, which is more difficult to extract from the media db. Also, it is based heavily around files, where a file-manager would also navigate through directory structures without files. etc etc etc If I was building a file manager, i would not be adding in the extra layer and source of complexity and possible inherit errors and weaknesses of the media db.
Ohhh I see, i would search more information about this, in addition to that what would be the best resource to android programing. I mean .... i dont know if android programming has something like IDEs for python or C++, but i guess so.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I also have another qeustion and that is i want to go without google no gapps no playstore nothing i have tried it for 2 days now and i constantly get this annoying message how there is no play protect and it shows up constantly in surtent apps driving me crazy is there anything i can do about that ?
I didn´t understand well what you mean, perhaps that you don´t have GApps but still receiving message from Play Protect?
Provide some link of the ROM or some screenshot.
I am also going to root my phone i dont know if that can help?
What is supposed to help with? the fact that you don´t use GApps? if is then no matter with or without GApps, can be achieved independently.

svet6ma

Jul 25, 2017
Greeting you.

Anything can be done for AOC A2472PW4T (G3SMNTA22)? Is there ant Custom ROMs for it? It has an old android and became less useful.
And (there is one guide to root I think). Is there any other and what I can do with root on this (ALL IN ONE) Android Monitor?

thailinh.bui

Jun 15, 2021
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time

NO TROLLING

NO NAME CALLING

NO RIDICULING

NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
Hi everybody!
Please tell me if I flash a rom with img extension, do I have to extract it or flash it directly in recovery mode?
Thanks for reading this <3

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi everybody!
Please tell me if I flash a rom with img extension, do I have to extract it or flash it directly in recovery mode?
Thanks for reading this <3
Let´s use a simple example to do that.

You can choose an GSI for your device from this list: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Generic-System-Image-(GSI)-list

Then you go for the first Android 11 GSI available, tapping on the download link you will get this https://sourceforge.net/projects/tipzbuilds/files/GSIs/CorvusROM/Beta/20210623/

You will see files grouped for three architecture variants, you have to choose the appropriate for your device from there, install an app like Device Info from Play Store or similar to know it.

If you choose some GSI for ARM64 architectures then you will get this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tipzbuilds/files/GSIs/CorvusROM/Beta/20210623/ARM64/

If you pick from the list the first one you´ll see that it has an extension .img.xz in other cases you can find others with .img.tgz format too, anyway you just have to decompress it using for example 7-Zip or PeaZip or other of your preference till you get finally a file with image extension (.img) this is the more you have to decompress it, an image doesn´t have to be decompressed/unpacked again but it has to be flashed through fastboot mode, can be done too through TWRP but for this purposes is most likely recommended to flash it through fastboot mode.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

Domi_nik

Dec 26, 2013
None of those would work in your device.

Check this
Thank you for that video!
I did everything what that guy showed, but when I put in cmd:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
my phone reboots and it's stuck with a black screen (no Chinese signs like in his video) and in the bottom left corner it says
Code:
fastboot mode

After I write
Code:
fastboot oem unlock-go
it says
Code:
< waiting for device >
and after a couple of seconds my phone is again on my home screen and on cmd it's still "waiting".

What should I do? How can I fix this?

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
I didn´t understand well what you mean, perhaps that you don´t have GApps but still receiving message from Play Protect?
Provide some link of the ROM or some screenshot.

What is supposed to help with? the fact that you don´t use GApps? if is then no matter with or without GApps, can be achieved independently.
Sorry for my bad english

What i ment was trying to use a custom rom without installing gapps so i instead installed f-droid and aurora appstore(in case u dont know it gives acces to all the apps in the playstore as an apk without needing a googleaccaunt or any accaunt for that mather).

Now i downloaded some apps trough aurora and when using them i constantly get a message that i dont have googleplay protect on my devices because wel i dont ofcourse...

And my qeustion is there a way i can hide or spoof/fool the apps in thinking i have googleplaystore on my phone without actually having it?
kinda like banking and someother apps with root where if they detect root they stop working properly but magisk came up with a option to hide magisk to these apps so they will work normaly.

do you understand what i mean?

Edit: basicly i dont want to use gapps anymore but do stil want to use my phone and apps (to an extent) as i used to.

stevensab

Aug 5, 2015
Hey, i have a Huawei P Smart Z phone and i'm realy happy how fast everything goes on it.
Today i bought a Android Car Radio , this one :

I got to say, i'm realy disapointed how limited the android system is...

My question is :

Is there a way to put my huawei firmware on to the Android Car Radio ? Or have a similar android version with like no restrictions at all ?

Problems i have :

- TomTom Go Stops my music from playing, it can be fixed by turning off warnings, but still it sucks, on my phone that does not happen at all.
- i can not play movies, the screen is green when i try to, i tryed every converted format, nothing works excepts the sound is playing, but i've read that this is some kind of protection to not watch while driving. Anyway, even when parked i can not watch.
- No proper individual sounds settings like for multimedia, phone,system, etc, installing an app for this, you can't still set em all individualy, its all or nothing.
- the menus, idk they, suck. Huawei is nice.
-respond time is a bit slow.
- i entered developer mode but i don't see a lot i can do in there.
- what sucks is the back camera, when putting in reverse, my screen goes on the back cam, but i would want the ability to turn it on when i want, i don't always need this (almost never), so at this point it does also shut off my music.
- After a song is done i have to put an other one on, i mean like ... WTF, can you just keep playing every song on the damn usb like my old jvc did? i tryed multiple media player, none of them keeps playing to a next song ... unless you create a playlist O.O
- i also need a proper dark theme that works on everything, i just need dark for my eyes.
- every equaliser i tested does not seem to do its job like it should, there is to little difference, on older radios the difference can be huge.

- I need proper Aux AMP Settings like old car radios has like pioneer, jvc , etc, i can not set how much my pioneer amp is getting for my subwoofer (installed apart from speakers), and i don't want crappy apps that also give my speakers more bass and whatever, i want it only for my subw.

- my sound is vrry low compared to my old jvc radio, i had to install Volume Booster GOODEV to have somewhat more power in all of my speakers, i tryed a lot of volume boosters and they almost all suck, most of them change how the songs realy is , like more acoustic or spacey effects, thats not what i need. Therefor Volume Booster GOODEV is the best one atm for me. Still, my old jvc had a lot more of juice just by turning the volume knob lol.

Is there any good apps you guys can recommend to make it somewhat more comfortable?

If i could put my huawei android firmware on my car radio, that would be way less of a headache to browse trough those stupid uncomplete menus.

i know it's a lot of complaints but i'm sure a lot of people will understand the frustrations lol.

Thanks for Reading.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hey, i have a Huawei P Smart Z phone and i'm realy happy how fast everything goes on it.
Today i bought a Android Car Radio , this one :

I got to say, i'm realy disapointed how limited the android system is...

My question is :

Is there a way to put my huawei firmware on to the Android Car Radio ? Or have a similar android version with like no restrictions at all ?

Problems i have :

- TomTom Go Stops my music from playing, it can be fixed by turning off warnings, but still it sucks, on my phone that does not happen at all.
- i can not play movies, the screen is green when i try to, i tryed every converted format, nothing works excepts the sound is playing, but i've read that this is some kind of protection to not watch while driving. Anyway, even when parked i can not watch.
- No proper individual sounds settings like for multimedia, phone,system, etc, installing an app for this, you can't still set em all individualy, its all or nothing.
- the menus, idk they, suck. Huawei is nice.
-respond time is a bit slow.
- i entered developer mode but i don't see a lot i can do in there.
- what sucks is the back camera, when putting in reverse, my screen goes on the back cam, but i would want the ability to turn it on when i want, i don't always need this (almost never), so at this point it does also shut off my music.
- After a song is done i have to put an other one on, i mean like ... WTF, can you just keep playing every song on the damn usb like my old jvc did? i tryed multiple media player, none of them keeps playing to a next song ... unless you create a playlist O.O
- i also need a proper dark theme that works on everything, i just need dark for my eyes.
- every equaliser i tested does not seem to do its job like it should, there is to little difference, on older radios the difference can be huge.

- I need proper Aux AMP Settings like old car radios has like pioneer, jvc , etc, i can not set how much my pioneer amp is getting for my subwoofer (installed apart from speakers), and i don't want crappy apps that also give my speakers more bass and whatever, i want it only for my subw.

- my sound is vrry low compared to my old jvc radio, i had to install Volume Booster GOODEV to have somewhat more power in all of my speakers, i tryed a lot of volume boosters and they almost all suck, most of them change how the songs realy is , like more acoustic or spacey effects, thats not what i need. Therefor Volume Booster GOODEV is the best one atm for me. Still, my old jvc had a lot more of juice just by turning the volume knob lol.

Is there any good apps you guys can recommend to make it somewhat more comfortable?

If i could put my huawei android firmware on my car radio, that would be way less of a headache to browse trough those stupid uncomplete menus.

i know it's a lot of complaints but i'm sure a lot of people will understand the frustrations lol.

Thanks for Reading.
hey there, check here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ad-unit-ac8227l-yt9217-yt9218-1-16gb.3931863/. hope it helps

Reactions: stevensab

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Sorry for my bad english

What i ment was trying to use a custom rom without installing gapps so i instead installed f-droid and aurora appstore(in case u dont know it gives acces to all the apps in the playstore as an apk without needing a googleaccaunt or any accaunt for that mather).

Now i downloaded some apps trough aurora and when using them i constantly get a message that i dont have googleplay protect on my devices because wel i dont ofcourse...
Never seen an app asking for Play Protect but the other way around, Play Protect trying to scan the apps you install, in this case enter in /Security/Google Play Protect, in case it was installed "accidentally" or if you chose a Google account instead a Guest/anonymous user in the first set up from Aurora store. If Play Protect is not installed then it can´t ask for scanning apps.
And my qeustion is there a way i can hide or spoof/fool the apps in thinking i have googleplaystore on my phone without actually having it?
There are some apps that won´t work without the Play Services, no known universal workaround for it, you or something else should do some kind of reverse engineering to make it work.
kinda like banking and someother apps with root where if they detect root they stop working properly but magisk came up with a option to hide magisk to these apps so they will work normaly.
This is a different topic, how some apps that required non-rooted devices can work with Magisk, this is just one of the forum that addresses it https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3888
do you understand what i mean?

Edit: basicly i dont want to use gapps anymore but do stil want to use my phone and apps (to an extent) as i used to.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Thank you for that video!
I did everything what that guy showed, but when I put in cmd:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
my phone reboots and it's stuck with a black screen (no Chinese signs like in his video) and in the bottom left corner it says
Code:
fastboot mode
You don´t have to go further without knowing if your device is detected, check if the fastboot binaries are properly installed (it depends on what OS you are using) or if you have the proper adb/fastboot platform.
After I write
Code:
fastboot oem unlock-go
it says
Code:
< waiting for device >
and after a couple of seconds my phone is again on my home screen and on cmd it's still "waiting".

What should I do? How can I fix this?

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
Play Protect trying to scan the apps you install, in this case enter in /Security/Google Play Protec
Where and how do i enter this sorry i dont understand?

in case it was installed "accidentally" or if you chose a Google account instead a Guest/anonymous user in the first set up from Aurora store.
You only have two choices with a mail accaunt or anonomous i defently chose the latter

I could wipe the os and then reinstall and this time download the app again this time using apkmirror website and not aurora appstore to see if it is just the app and no something else.

Edit: i wiped the os reinstalled it and downloaded the apk from apkmirror sadly i get the same message

''the app wont run without google play services wich are not supported by your device''

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Where and how do i enter this sorry i dont understand?

You only have two choices with a mail accaunt or anonomous i defently chose the latter

I could wipe the os and then reinstall and this time download the app again this time using apkmirror website and not aurora appstore to see if it is just the app and no something else.
If you did some dirty flash some Google traces still remain.

Can you upload some screenshot which exactly is the message?

narf2

Jun 24, 2021
hi all,

my new "blackview tab 8" got stuck during normal updates (after 30 mins of working with the tab). i did a softreset but it wouldn't boot anymore. i just saw the boot screen.
a few tries later, i don't see anything on the screen, i can't go into recovery mode, my computer can't find the device (I tried the adb script thas has been linked in some how-to für newbies :) ). the only thing it reacts to, if i hold the power button reaaaaaaaaaaally long - like 30-40 sec. then it vibrates, but nothing more happens afterwards.

there's also a tiny hole (not the one for SIM / SD) in which i poked around in the hopes that this will be a reset switch, too. and there is actually a button inside - but it doesn't do anything for me.

so, i wasn't doing any flashing, but i guess, this forum is the best source for the answer as you see a lot of bricked phones :)

i'd really like to drain the battery so i could boot up fresh. but i don't know how. and i don't want to remove the battery physically as i have warranty on it (it's a brandnew device). but i'm not too eager sending it back to korea, either :D

maybe you can help :)

regards,
narf

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
hi all,

my new "blackview tab 8" got stuck during normal updates (after 30 mins of working with the tab). i did a softreset but it wouldn't boot anymore. i just saw the boot screen.
a few tries later, i don't see anything on the screen, i can't go into recovery mode, my computer can't find the device (I tried the adb script thas has been linked in some how-to für newbies :) ). the only thing it reacts to, if i hold the power button reaaaaaaaaaaally long - like 30-40 sec. then it vibrates, but nothing more happens afterwards.

there's also a tiny hole (not the one for SIM / SD) in which i poked around in the hopes that this will be a reset switch, too. and there is actually a button inside - but it doesn't do anything for me.

so, i wasn't doing any flashing, but i guess, this forum is the best source for the answer as you see a lot of bricked phones :)

i'd really like to drain the battery so i could boot up fresh. but i don't know how. and i don't want to remove the battery physically as i have warranty on it (it's a brandnew device). but i'm not too eager sending it back to korea, either :D

maybe you can help :)

regards,
narf
Send it in. Brand new and you did nothing wrong ie device failure, let them sort it out. Protect your investment.
Take detail images of all sides, then double box it well. Send by FedEx or UPS, fully insure it. Drop it off in person and get a receipt. See if they will issue you a return label.

Reactions: narf2

Top Liked Posts

- Which device do you own?
    - Which Android version? Xiaomi Redmi 9
    - Bootloader is already unlocked? Yes
    - How good is your connection through fastboot? Did you update the binaries? I updated the binaries I don't know how to measure how good my connection is through fastboot
    - How did you try to install/flash Magisk, and How ends the attempt to install it? I start off by flashing twrp as my recovery image then flashing vbmeta once I try to boot recovery by typing "fastboot boot twrp.img" I get the afore mentioned too many links error
    - Were you able to check it by rebooting to system and checking if Magisk is there? Don't you need twrp to install magisk

And just now, the second part:
    - Which moment TWRP came into scene here? I mean; Did you install it prior to try Magisk or after? When I tried to boot into recovery after flashing twrp.
    - Which method did you use to install your TWRP?
    - From which screen the message came? The command line.
    In case Lancelot is your variant, this guide and the zip containing TWRP includes the scripts you need to ease your task https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/twrp-recovery-for-miui-12-a11-lancelot.4300657/, from what I understood you didn't really tried to flash Magisk, but you wanted to and no, you also have other ways to get magisk to work like patching the boot image and after that flashing it either through fastboot or through SPFlash tool.

Check if these are the commands you are typing and that those images are there (in the same folder directory where you are opening the fastboot window):
    Firstly, rename your recovery image to recovery.img
    and then type as follows:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    fastboot boot recovery.img
    If for some reason device refuses to boot to TWRP by command you can do it manually typingfastboot reboot and quickly pressing and keeping pressed the vol. up button
    In case Lancelot is your variant, this guide and the zip containing TWRP includes the scripts you need to ease your task https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/twrp-recovery-for-miui-12-a11-lancelot.4300657/, from what I understood you didn't really tried to flash Magisk, but you wanted to and no, you also have other ways to get magisk to work like patching the boot image and after that flashing it either through fastboot or through SPFlash tool.

Check if these are the commands you are typing and that those images are there (in the same folder directory where you are opening the fastboot window):
    Firstly, rename your recovery image to recovery.img
    and then type as follows:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    fastboot boot recovery.img
    If for some reason device refuses to boot to TWRP by command you can do it manually typingfastboot reboot and quickly pressing and keeping pressed the vol. up button
    Thank you so much without your help I wouldn't of been able to install TWRP and the Magisk root.
    Hey, GCam suits on what basis. Is it by the Android versions or by the processor basis. Im using Lenovo k10 note which is android 9 and SD 710. I like to install GCam 8 or more.
    It's based on both, this app will help you find the appropriate for your device if there’s available https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.granturismo.gcamator&hl=es_PY&gl=US
    also may want to delete ur serial #. could be used for bad purposes and is not needed except by you.
    did you just quote his SN# :LOL:
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!
    NICE! Thank you for posting the solution.

As a side note, rooting the Pixel 5 on Android 12 has an issue with vbmeta as well. After an update, you need to flash the vbmeta.img with disabling verification and verity in fastboot, followed with a "-w" to wipe your phone. In future updates if you sideload the OTA you can boot immediately to bootloader and flash vbmeta with disabling verification and verity without a wipe. If you screw up and boot to system first, you'll have to use "-w" and wipe again
    I do a lot of shell scripting. Recently i was looking into something on my current device, and I couldn't work out how to do it, so hopefully someone here would know.

The question is basically, for an updated system app, how do you find the original APK location?

When a system app gets updated (for example by the playstore), it will get installed to /data/app however, before it gets updated, it may be located in /system/app; and would stilll be there. When It is updated, retrieving its location, it will return the /data/app location, but I cant seem to find how to retrieve its "original" system location.

To find examples, I can use the following to retrive a list of system apps
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-s;
    To then find its current install location
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-f;
    and grep out the specific package I am looking for.

However, if the system package has been updated, it will only give me the /data/app path.

Is there anyway (without uninstalling the update) to retrieve the original location?
    if anyone else is interested, I think I found the answer.
    dumpsys package $package_id;
    Gives details of the current install and the original package,
    I wish I could help, but I can't here. I had a S2, a GNex, and an S3. When Sammy announced Knox for the S4, I left. I couldn't be happier. Samsung devices are GREAT for the normal consumer. For people who root, they are a hassle. Being able to just boot to bootloader and use fastboot commands is glorious.

There are Samsung experts (I am far from one at this point in time) on this thread. Hopefully one of them picks up on your post. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!

NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

HALL OF FAME

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

HTML:
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo