• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory
Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
If you did some dirty flash some Google traces still remain.

Can you upload some screenshot which exactly is the message?
But i wiped it all using twrp literally everything so i should be good right ?
noway can something stick araund after that cause i selected everything?

see below to a pic of one of the apps that says this. this message shows up every couple of seconds while using the app very annoying.

in the off chance theres nothing todo do i have other options ? maybe webapp orosmething? wich basicly uses the website itself as far i know but i am no developer sadly

Edit: i may have found something but it is kinda old and vague supossedly if download apk of google play services and just that no playstore it could get rid of that message is that a possability ? can play services even run without playstore and it even work on newer android 10/11

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210624-025603458.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624-025603458.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Anticy

Is there any way I can install a recovery on my Samsung Galaxy A10e SM-A102? I really need to root my device so I can make it faster but I don’t see an option my my device in the Official TWRP Website. If there’s really no way I can install any recovery on this device then is there any other method I can use to root my device?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
But i wiped it all using twrp literally everything so i should be good right ?
noway can something stick araund after that cause i selected everything?

see below to a pic of one of the apps that says this. this message shows up every couple of seconds while using the app very annoying.

in the off chance theres nothing todo do i have other options ? maybe webapp orosmething? wich basicly uses the website itself as far i know but i am no developer sadly
The screenshot reveals the part where a certain app is requiring the Google Play Services nothing about Play Protect that was very strange and it was hard to believe that it happened.

I referred to this previously and there´s nothing that you can do, even for a developer is not common to find a solution, personally I never saw an app that requires but can run without the Play Services, may I´m wrong but this is one of the main reasons why there are many people stuck with Google Play and this is one of the best tramp anyway I´m not totally sure if there is some GApps replace that can do that like NikiGapps or similar but you will end using GApps.

Search for GApps replace methods and take a look in those forums to be sure.

Reactions: mstrnemo

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Edit: i may have found something but it is kinda old and vague supossedly if download apk of google play services and just that no playstore it could get rid of that message is that a possability ? can play services even run without playstore and it even work on newer android 10/11
Google Play Services relies (logically) in Play Store, the issue is that app requires Play Services as a security measure and one of the things Play Services do is being updated frequently as a security measure too and won´t update without Google Play.

Last edited:
Reactions: mstrnemo

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Is there any way I can create a full system image backup? i.e. a complete brain transplant between two identical devices?
A TWRP (or other custom recovery) nandroid is the closest. Conceptually you are talking bout backing up partitions on your device to transfer to another. It does a system & data (plus optionally others depending on device) and with a little fidling, I have restored the nandroid from one phone to another when switching out a faulty device. There are things it does not backup by default. eg the SDCard.

Last edited:

herecomesmaggi

Jan 20, 2013
Lucknow
Hello, i own a oneplus 6 . I was thinking to upgrade.l to mi 11x. Should i upgrade to mi 11x or wait for a while ? . I dont have 5g connectivity yet in my country. Is there any other phone in same price range but better.?

Samg381

Feb 8, 2014
A TWRP (or other custom recovery) nandroid is the closest. Conceptually you are talking bout backing up partitions on your device to transfer to another. It does a system & data (plus optionally others depending on device) and with a little fidling, I have restored the nandroid from one phone to another when switching out a faulty device. There are things it does not backup by default. eg the SDCard.
Thank you for the thorough explanation. Do you know if this is possible on a google pixel 4xl running android 11?

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
The screenshot reveals the part where a certain app is requiring the Google Play Services nothing about Play Protect that was very strange and it was hard to believe that it happened.

I referred to this previously and there´s nothing that you can do, even for a developer is not common to find a solution, personally I never saw an app that requires but can run without the Play Services, may I´m wrong but this is one of the main reasons why there are many people stuck with Google Play and this is one of the best tramp anyway I´m not totally sure if there is some GApps replace that can do that like NikiGapps or similar but you will end using GApps.

Search for GApps replace methods and take a look in those forums to be sure.
Oke thanks for the help.

SimRhinox

Jun 6, 2021
I have LOS 18.1, and when I click on "Phone app -> Settings -> Sound and vibrations", I see there "Call recording: Audio format (AMR-WB/AAC)".

But how can I activate call recording? Where are recorded calls saved and how can I replay them?

TheInfiniteAndroid

Aug 4, 2016
Hello,

Currently on a Meizu 18 Pro but I'm having a issue with VoLTE, when enabled my device shows all calls with "Unknown Caller" even if the number is store in my phone, when I disable VoLTE caller ID works again and shows the person's name/number, I'm not rooted & don't plan to unfortunately, contacted Meizu support, but there hasn't been a fix from them yet, any ideas in the meantime?

Thanks
Bumping this as it's been 2 weeks still looking for help, thank you, only solution I've found so far involved rooting which is out of the question, I've always tried to use activity manager to switch the modem config similar to on Xiaomi devices but couldn't find that option on my Meizu.

Domi_nik

Dec 26, 2013
You don´t have to go further without knowing if your device is detected, check if the fastboot binaries are properly installed (it depends on what OS you are using) or if you have the proper adb/fastboot platform.
I use Windows 10 and I did everything like that guy on the video.
As far as I can tell, all the drivers and this ADB thingy is installed.
When I type:
Code:
adb devices
it tells me:
Code:
List of devices attached
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
LEY7A06410018918        device

The phone is connected with my laptop, so I assume that my device is properly detected, no?

EDIT:
cmd.png

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I use Windows 10 and I did everything like that guy on the video.
As far as I can tell, all the drivers and this ADB thingy is installed.
When I type:
Code:
adb devices
it tells me:
Code:
List of devices attached
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
LEY7A06410018918        device

The phone is connected with my laptop, so I assume that my device is properly detected, no?

EDIT:
View attachment 5347645
Is properly detected in adb but your issue is while in fastboot, they're not exactly the same, you should need to install the proper fastboot drivers for your device and update them from device manager.

PleaseHelpMe2

Jun 25, 2021
Hello,
I cant find a Custom recovery / twrp Recovery for my phone.... :(
My phone is : Oukitel C22
Somebody know a Custom recovery for that phone??? Please Help me, i searched everywhere i know..

Thisisanacct

Jun 14, 2020
I am failing SafetyNet again, on a rooted OnePlus 8 (Global, 11.0.7.7.IN21AA). I have Magisk Hide and EdXposed blacklist as well as hiddencore set up and updated, and it suddenly stopped passing SafetyNet a few days ago, and I cannot figure out why as it used to work. Disabling EdXposed fixed it, but I need it for things such as GravityBox. Any tips?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I am failing SafetyNet again, on a rooted OnePlus 8 (Global, 11.0.7.7.IN21AA). I have Magisk Hide and EdXposed blacklist as well as hiddencore set up and updated, and it suddenly stopped passing SafetyNet a few days ago, and I cannot figure out why as it used to work. Disabling EdXposed fixed it, but I need it for things such as GravityBox. Any tips?
Tnats a very speciffc Magisk question probably best askled in the Magisk thread.
Hello, I'm looking for as much information as humanly possible on how to build an app that I have an Idea for. Where exactly should I post my questions? Thank you.
"as much information as humanly possible" is well beyond any forum. Probably best you start with the single question you actually have, and people may be better positioned to direct you for an answer.

Reactions: SubwayChamp

SteveoBelieveo

Jun 25, 2021
Tnats a very speciffc Magisk question probably best askled in the Magisk thread.

"as much information as humanly possible" is well beyond any forum. Probably best you start with the single question you actually have, and people may be better positioned to direct you for an answer.
Lol, looks like I must have cut way too much out of that before I posted it! Anyway, to be more clear, I have a ton of noob questions about android app development. Just wondering where it would be most appropriate to post them? One question I have is how do I create a one button dialer in Android studio? a few others would be , Should I be using Kotlin or Java? Where can I find code for already completed apps? and a bunch more. I understand that googling will yield me some answers but there's no substitute for having a dialogue with someone who can help me out with the more specific things. So the ultimate reason I started here first was to find out where to post these basic noob/possibly irritating questions.

Top Liked Posts

Well, my latest reply may contain some clue about that, if you tried the other commands... if you already unlocked critical partitions... some devices haven't implemented dm-verity... your device doesn't accept a generic (unsigned) vbmeta image... your device accepts only signed (or patched) images for some specific partition ... it should be that Magisk can interfere too by tapping it some way so tried again prior to root, try with the one that should include your stock ROM, without consider all these points the conclusion is less than nothing

Basically it does, regarding Magisk you should need to reinstall it for your next GSI.
    Thank you for all your help.
    I do a lot of shell scripting. Recently i was looking into something on my current device, and I couldn't work out how to do it, so hopefully someone here would know.

The question is basically, for an updated system app, how do you find the original APK location?

When a system app gets updated (for example by the playstore), it will get installed to /data/app however, before it gets updated, it may be located in /system/app; and would stilll be there. When It is updated, retrieving its location, it will return the /data/app location, but I cant seem to find how to retrieve its "original" system location.

To find examples, I can use the following to retrive a list of system apps
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-s;
    To then find its current install location
    Bash:
    cmd package list packages-f;
    and grep out the specific package I am looking for.

However, if the system package has been updated, it will only give me the /data/app path.

Is there anyway (without uninstalling the update) to retrieve the original location?
    if anyone else is interested, I think I found the answer.
    dumpsys package $package_id;
    Gives details of the current install and the original package,
    also may want to delete ur serial #. could be used for bad purposes and is not needed except by you.
    did you just quote his SN# :LOL:
    Hey, GCam suits on what basis. Is it by the Android versions or by the processor basis. Im using Lenovo k10 note which is android 9 and SD 710. I like to install GCam 8 or more.
    It's based on both, this app will help you find the appropriate for your device if there’s available https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.granturismo.gcamator&hl=es_PY&gl=US
    I wish I could help, but I can't here. I had a S2, a GNex, and an S3. When Sammy announced Knox for the S4, I left. I couldn't be happier. Samsung devices are GREAT for the normal consumer. For people who root, they are a hassle. Being able to just boot to bootloader and use fastboot commands is glorious.

There are Samsung experts (I am far from one at this point in time) on this thread. Hopefully one of them picks up on your post. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!
    Thanks for getting back to me -- and yeah, Samsung is a pain, and always has been. Unfortunately, they also make the only decent graphics tablets for artists (and I refuse to go to Apple), so for tablets I put up with it. But I've never had this much trouble. Grr!

For phones, I had a T-Mobile S7 given to me, so I couldn't root it even if I wanted to. Next phone will probably be an LG. I've had both Nexus 4 and 5, both rooted and running (then) CyanogenMod, and loved them!

SOLVED: I cracked it! For those getting the error "recovery: error validating footer. (6)" the problem is Samsung stupid validating feature called VBMETA that they don't really talk about. It's in the VBMETA partition, and apparently the only recovery that will pass verification is the one installed at the factory. I couldn't even get OEM recoveries to pass. They all gave me the same error.

So the solution is:

1) Make sure the recovery you're flashing also has an image called "vbmeta.img". If it doesn't, look elsewhere. (I flashed the recovery that came with my rom, so it had the vemeta.img file in the zip.)
    2) Flash both at the same time. Don't know about Odin, but with heimdall, here's the command: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --VBMETA vbmeta.img --no-reboot
    3) Hold down PWR and Vol-dwn, until the device resets. Immediately! hold down Vol-Up & Pwr. The screen will blink a couple of times, then recovery will load.

Boom!
    NICE! Thank you for posting the solution.

As a side note, rooting the Pixel 5 on Android 12 has an issue with vbmeta as well. After an update, you need to flash the vbmeta.img with disabling verification and verity in fastboot, followed with a "-w" to wipe your phone. In future updates if you sideload the OTA you can boot immediately to bootloader and flash vbmeta with disabling verification and verity without a wipe. If you screw up and boot to system first, you'll have to use "-w" and wipe again
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo