• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I hope I am asking in the right place, but here goes!

I have purchased an international S9 SM-G960F. I have been looking for days for a reason it wont work here in the USA. everyone says it should but it dont. So I got devcheck and I found out that it has a snapdragon proccessor and that knox has been tripped, also usb debugging is active. My question is, could this be a phone that has had international firmware flashed on it (since its snapdragon) and if so can I flash it back? Thank you for any information as I have been round and round on this.
According to this site https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9-8966.php#g960f the SM-G960F and the SM-G960F/DS use Exynos.
You can check which was the firmware that originally came onto the device by going to the recovery stock.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
I have tablet with intel atom processor running on android x86 and has one problem the orientation are reversed i.e when the device is in horizontal the display becomes vertical and vice versa. Can anybody help in solving this issue?
You probably flashed a firmware that "generically" works on your hardware but the firmware has a slightly different kernel than your original kernel. Try different kernels or different versions of firmware that are compatible with your hardware architecture, you might find one that fixes your screen orientation problem. Other than that, you'll have to decompile and modify some system files to remap your screen rotation and maybe some of your other sensors. Modifying system files to fix this "may" be possible but you'll have to figure it out by trial and error. It would be much easier to try different firmware that are compatible with your specific CPU/hardware architecture or your series of motherboard if you can identify the board. Be very careful when selecting firmware, you need to make absolutely certain that the firmware is for your specific Atom CPU series or for your specific motherboard series.

Reactions: forstar

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hello, I am trying to root my Lenovo tablet, and I am following a guide on here, but when I do "adb reboot bootloader" it works, but when I try to unlock the OEM it just says waiting for device example here: https://prnt.sc/1gbgerc What do I do to fix this?
The issue would not be (yet) with the ability to unlock or not, your device is not being recognized through fastboot.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I was hoping to learn more about this for future referance.
but that i cant get this vbmeta file to work really bugs me ahhahaha
i supose that if magisk basicly does the same then i geuss ill leave it at that
Well, my latest reply may contain some clue about that, if you tried the other commands... if you already unlocked critical partitions... some devices haven't implemented dm-verity... your device doesn't accept a generic (unsigned) vbmeta image... your device accepts only signed (or patched) images for some specific partition ... it should be that Magisk can interfere too by tapping it some way so tried again prior to root, try with the one that should include your stock ROM, without consider all these points the conclusion is less than nothing
although i do wonder how do you update a gsi ? does it work the same as a custom rom where u flash over it ? if so then i take it magisk needs to uninstalled before that ?
Basically it does, regarding Magisk you should need to reinstall it for your next GSI.
Anyway i wish there was more out there about all this gsi stuf would make it easier oh and i tried phh treble aosp gsi first worked pretty wel after i tried linage os 18.1 gsi wich i have been using the past day and it works pretty well camera doesnt work and some little glitches here and there and batterie life isnt as good but all in all i am impressed.

Reactions: mstrnemo

Adam_Jensen_

Jul 26, 2021
Hi everyone, I just got a samsung xcover pro and rooted it, is there a sliver of a chance that someone might help me compile twrp and also help me installing lineageos? I have experience with linux but not with android.
If nobody wants to help me do it directly (more than understandabe) could you help me set up the compiling environment for twrp? I don't know how to proceed from chapter 2 of https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ompile-twrp-from-source-step-by-step.3404024/ onwards

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
Well, my latest reply may contain some clue about that, if you tried the other commands... if you already unlocked critical partitions... some devices haven't implemented dm-verity... your device doesn't accept a generic (unsigned) vbmeta image... your device accepts only signed (or patched) images for some specific partition ... it should be that Magisk can interfere too by tapping it some way so tried again prior to root, try with the one that should include your stock ROM, without consider all these points the conclusion is less than nothing

Basically it does, regarding Magisk you should need to reinstall it for your next GSI.
Thank you for all your help.

Reactions: SubwayChamp

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Hi everyone, I just got a samsung xcover pro and rooted it, is there a sliver of a chance that someone might help me compile twrp and also help me installing lineageos? I have experience with linux but not with android.
If nobody wants to help me do it directly (more than understandabe) could you help me set up the compiling environment for twrp? I don't know how to proceed from chapter 2 of https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ompile-twrp-from-source-step-by-step.3404024/ onwards
You have found the TWRP specific threads, so you would be best to ask your question there.

As for your linlk, it is basically takes me to the OP; ie every step. Its not clear what step you are having issues with.

When I started compiling ROMs / TWRP. I found the lineage OS had clearer and more complete and up to date steps, somewhere on their website.

Ely_Pines

Nov 11, 2020
Hi,

I'm trying to create my first custom rom from source so I did repo init -b android-4.4.4_r2 [the branch I want] then repo sync
At one point it stops and indicated this:

Code:
Checking out projects:  97% (402/412) platform/prebuilts/sdkerror: Cannot checkout platform/prebuilts/tools: ManifestInvalidRevisionError: revision refs/tags/android-4.4.4_r2 in platform/prebuilts/tools not found
error: in `sync`: revision refs/tags/android-4.4.4_r2 in platform/prebuilts/tools not found

So my question is: from what do you think it is due? do I have a way to do a fetch platform/prebuilts/tools or revise the manifest just for this? (my computer is not a good one so maybe errors occurred during the repo init and now I'm missing a few files)
Thanks!

Inoxius

Jul 28, 2021
Hello guys,

so i recently just got a 2nd hand samsung s20+ (NTT docomo) and it's already sim unlock, and i've been trying to unlock my bootloader but when i try fastboot oem unlock it shows up as and unknown command.
Anyone know how to fix it or if it's even possible to unlock the bootloader for samsung s20+ japan version?.

Thanks!

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hello guys,

so i recently just got a 2nd hand samsung s20+ (NTT docomo) and it's already sim unlock, and i've been trying to unlock my bootloader but when i try fastboot oem unlock it shows up as and unknown command.
Anyone know how to fix it or if it's even possible to unlock the bootloader for samsung s20+ japan version?.

Thanks!
From What I know, unless a paid service it doesn't but probably the members on here may know more about https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...root-s20-series-and-upgrade-firmware.4079353/

• Love
Reactions: Inoxius

Inoxius

Jul 28, 2021
From What I know, unless a paid service it doesn't but probably the members on here may know more about https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...root-s20-series-and-upgrade-firmware.4079353/
Ya, tried to search for paid service too but i dont know if they also do the japan version.
Anyway i'll check the link you gave me first.

Thank you for the reply! Really appreciate it ☺

Edit : It Works! can finally unlock my bootloader!! thank you SubwayChamp you're a lifesaver :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SubwayChamp

mystvearn

May 12, 2011
I have a problem when installing an apk. Need help on installing samsung camera app ver 11 on Samsung note 9. Minimum requirements are android 11. Phone is android 10. I tried apk editor Pro and apk signage still could not get it to install. I have a note 3 which is android 11, and it could not install too. For both devices, installation is fine, but st the end of installation it says app not installed. Any ideas how to get it installed? I need to use the Bluetooth mic in the pro video mode to record from a distance.

liteclorox

Jul 30, 2021
Is it possible to install a different OS than Android on a mobile phone as the primary OS? For example, can I install ARM based Fedora Linux on a device that is currently running on Android? What I'm trying to say is Android will be replaced with an ARM based Linux distro. Is it possible?

Reactions: mstrnemo

Top Liked Posts