• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:
Hi. I have been trying to root my Fire tablet HD 10 (2019). Please, dont refer me to some other post on XDA or anywhere in the universe because I have read them all. I have spent days combing through misinformation and redirects. I am almost certain I can root the device, if it's actually possible. That leads me to my (2)question(s):

1- !n developer mode OEM unlock is not able to be enabled. You click it and it slides right back to off. So is there a way to disable the enablers' inability to to enable? In other words can that feature be unlocked, I guess.

2-Is there a way to check if the TWRP img file is legit and is the exact version that I need? I tried mounting the image to see if I could get a look at the files and got an error about possible curroption and/or formating issues.

Any help would be apptreciated. I am afraid to attach the file to see if anyone could inspect it for me

abhinavk

Jan 6, 2013
Dear all -

I have a boot loop question - not for a phone but for the Nest Thermostat E!

I have a used one that I got from an online retailer seller. As best I can tell, the seller failed to disconnect it from wifi and turn it off before shipping it. I suspect the thermostat initiated an update in the seller's hands, then lost power at some point whilst the update was being installed.

Either way, this thermostat is now stuck in a boot loop. Classic signs and symptoms. When phoning Nest support, they asked me to hook it up to a computer to see if the computer could recognise it and browse its storage. There is apparently a software tool that Nest can use to reset the thermostat via USB.

Unfortunately, this particular thermostat isn't recognised by any computer that I've tried. If this were an android, I'd put it in fastboot mode and just flash the stock firmware to reset it to its "out of the box" state.

Does anyone know how to do that, or something similar, or anything at all over USB with the Nest Thermostat E?

All help appreciated,

--abhinav

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi. I have been trying to root my Fire tablet HD 10 (2019). Please, dont refer me to some other post on XDA or anywhere in the universe because I have read them all. I have spent days combing through misinformation and redirects. I am almost certain I can root the device, if it's actually possible. That leads me to my (2)question(s):

1- !n developer mode OEM unlock is not able to be enabled. You click it and it slides right back to off. So is there a way to disable the enablers' inability to to enable? In other words can that feature be unlocked, I guess.

2-Is there a way to check if the TWRP img file is legit and is the exact version that I need? I tried mounting the image to see if I could get a look at the files and got an error about possible curroption and/or formating issues.

Any help would be apptreciated. I am afraid to attach the file to see if anyone could inspect it for me
I'm actually have the Fire 7" (19) and I guess that the only way to escaping from the frustrating FireOS and aggressive/annoying ads "bombing" policy would be rooting the device but with every update Amazon instead of improve some functions the only they do is to patch every single exploit discovered, from the 7.3.19 update the software and the hardware methods were annulled. Not even got permanently connected to PC to transfer files or ADB purposes so you see that is a very tricky device, the OEM unlock not even is there in some models (like mine)

I know you said "don't link me to other site" but unless someone else knows more there’s no better place (probably) to find and discuss a solution/workaround for that than here https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/amazon-fire.4716/ probably you already saw it.

Regarding check if TWRP is suitable for your device you can decompile/unpack it with this tool https://github.com/ZonaRMR/carliv_image_kitchen and probably you'll find inside the ramdisk folder some file called default.prop or similar and open it with some bloc notes or Notepad++ or similar and you'll see the codename/ro.product of your device.

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
Is it possible to install a different OS than Android on a mobile phone as the primary OS? For example, can I install ARM based Fedora Linux on a device that is currently running on Android? What I'm trying to say is Android will be replaced with an ARM based Linux distro. Is it possible?

Yes but there are ifs and whatnot like daimondjohn said there is ubuntu touch os

u have 2 choices that i know of see if your phone has a custom ubuntu touch os for it
or
use a gsi like method for ubuntu touch so u can flash it on any android smartphone.
this is your best bet but it comes with a caveat in that u need to know how to flash a kernel wich is mandatory and it needs to be on the base android 9 not newer and not older ... so it is not for beginners here are some links to read about it.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/gsi-arm64-a-ab-ubuntu-touch-ubports.4110581/

also fun fact just the other day there was a news post about how these smartypants devolopers managed to run android apk to run faster and consume less energie by using the phones hardware instead of a vm like contruct that was common before atleast that how i understood it i am a dummy myself but i do find all this facenating.

read links below about the running android apk on linux os for phones and more info about all this.

I'm actually have the Fire 7" (19) and I guess that the only way to escaping from the frustrating FireOS and aggressive/annoying ads "bombing" policy would be rooting the device but with every update Amazon instead of improve some functions the only they do is to patch every single exploit discovered, from the 7.3.19 update the software and the hardware methods were annulled. Not even got permanently connected to PC to transfer files or ADB purposes so you see that is a very tricky device, the OEM unlock not even is there in some models (like mine)

I know you said "don't link me to other site" but unless someone else knows more there’s no better place (probably) to find and discuss a solution/workaround for that than here https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/amazon-fire.4716/ probably you already saw it.

Regarding check if TWRP is suitable for your device you can decompile/unpack it with this tool https://github.com/ZonaRMR/carliv_image_kitchen and probably you'll find inside the ramdisk folder some file called default.prop or similar and open it with some bloc notes or Notepad++ or similar and you'll see the codename/ro.product of your device.
I didn't think about decompiling. Thanks. So did you install google framework and all that jazz on your kindle? As As much as I hate Google it really does make it a lot better.

Why would so many people claim that they can't unlock it as I can't be Unlock? People went through very lengthy descriptions on how it works and then we'll so now you just doesn't? It's ridiculously about BS people, including these people, put out.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I didn't think about decompiling. Thanks. So did you install google framework and all that jazz on your kindle? As As much as I hate Google it really does make it a lot better.
Yes, I installed all the Play stuff (the minimal) to let it work, I used this app https://google-installer.uptodown.com/android this will download and install one by one what you need.
Why would so many people claim that they can't unlock it as I can't be Unlock? People went through very lengthy descriptions on how it works and then we'll so now you just doesn't? It's ridiculously about BS people, including these people, put out.
I don't know from the wide range of Amazon tablets, but I think that all works more or less in the same way due to the policy implemented, the older versions can be unlocked (I came late to the party) either by using software method (using a temporarily su binary) or through hardware method.

I noticed that if you don't sign in into your Amazon accounts the "bombing" ads aren't targeted to your lock screen, so I formatted again and started from zero.

By the normal way you can't disable the Fire launcher and set other by default, but you can use this app to disable it and set other custom one https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/any-launcher-no-root-launcher-hijack-v4.3561026/

By the normal way (no options in settings) to disable any system app but if you have luck and can connect your device through adb you can use this tool to do so and more https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/windows-tool-fire-toolbox-v20-0.3889604/

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
...snip...
use a gsi like method for ubuntu touch so u can flash it on any android smartphone.
this is your best bet but it comes with a caveat in that u need to know how to flash a kernel wich is mandatory and it needs to be on the base android 9 not newer and not older ... so it is not for beginners here are some links to read about it.
...snip...
I dont think GSI's are compatible with every phone. You need a phone that supports GSI's. I think it needs to support Project Treble.

Reactions: mstrnemo

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
I dont think GSI's are compatible with every phone. You need a phone that supports GSI's. I think it needs to support Project Treble.

Yes correct i apologise

In this case for the gsi like flashing of the ubuntu u need to do it from the base android 9 ... so project treble was introduced from android 8/8.1

so if i read it correctly u need android 9 installed before u can flash ubuntu gsi and only with android 9 installed as mentioned on github doing it from android 8.1 is experimentle and newer android stil not possible.

cool stuf right?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Is it possible to install a different OS than Android on a mobile phone as the primary OS? For example, can I install ARM based Fedora Linux on a device that is currently running on Android? What I'm trying to say is Android will be replaced with an ARM based Linux distro. Is it possible?
and @mstrnemo

the following XDA article may help. NB: I know very little about GSI's. Near the top half of the page, in a yellow block, it talks about the device being released with Android 8

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
and @mstrnemo

the following XDA article may help. NB: I know very little about GSI's. Near the top half of the page, in a yellow block, it talks about the device being released with Android 8
I did mention it was ''gsi like'' dont know/understand if it works exactlly like that for ubuntutouh linux.

Stupid qeustion perhaps but do u also need to uninstall magisk first if ur just going to update with a newer security patch ?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
...snip...
Stupid qeustion perhaps but do u also need to uninstall magisk first if ur just going to update with a newer security patch ?
..... NB: I know very little about GSI's....
Sorry, cant help. Personally, I would do it just to be safe. But that is obviously not based on any knowledge, just caution. Logically, I would expect they would use the same boot.img, so it would seem not, but caution over valor.

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
Sorry, cant help. Personally, I would do it just to be safe. But that is obviously not based on any knowledge, just caution. Logically, I would expect they would use the same boot.img, so it would seem not, but caution over valor.
But wouldnt that be annoying though if u had alot of modules and uninstall everything and every month u have to do it again?

I see ur rocking samsung s4 as a daily cool do people stil develop roms for it?
I see now u are a devolper of that rom even cooler haahhaha

May i ask u a developerish personal qeustion?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
But wouldnt that be annoying though if u had alot of modules and uninstall everything and every month u have to do it again?

I see ur rocking samsung s4 as a daily cool do people stil develop roms for it?
I see now u are a devolper of that rom even cooler haahhaha

May i ask u a developerish personal qeustion?
Again, I repeat, I DONT KNOW. GSI's arent my bag baby ;)

I am not rocking an S4, that was an old phone, which I use to compile ROMs for from source, and also did it for my phone before that; an XT907. I now am using a Pixel 4a, but do distribute a developer style app here on XDA (TeMeFI). Are you stalking me? ;)

Um, did you just ask the "developorish personal question" by asking if you could? if its truly personal, then PM would be the avenue, not a public forum. But if its not really personal (I dont know how a developer question could be), then here is best, and you will get many many more and better developers that could step forward and answer you.

R3DN4

Aug 4, 2021
Redmi Note 9
Bro pls help me y try every your tutorial and it doesnt work i dont know what to do im dessesperate. I can pay you if you whant.

I have a redmi note 9 and is ins bootloop and i cant enter in recovery mode either fastboot

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Bro pls help me y try every your tutorial and it doesnt work i dont know what to do im dessesperate. I can pay you if you whant.

I have a redmi note 9 and is ins bootloop and i cant enter in recovery mode either fastboot
Check in here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/redmi-note-9-guides-news-discussion.10961/

read everything, with patience, then make sure you have everything you need. and then try those tutorials. if your phone is not detected, try using a brand new cable or a different USB port. sometimes these things are faulty. make sure your phone is fully charged up.

if neither of these tutorials help, then go with it in a service.

Shakbazian

Dec 7, 2015
What is meant to build a custom ROM for a phone? I have a rarely owned rugged phone with high specifications in hardware but a recent update has stripped compatibility with the USB-C port as well as some other functions. I am wanting to try a custom ROM but I understand that I may have to introduce compatibility for my phone's hardware. Is this exceptionally hard to do? Can someone help me do this over discord or anything (Coaching?)?

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
What is meant to build a custom ROM for a phone? I have a rarely owned rugged phone with high specifications in hardware but a recent update has stripped compatibility with the USB-C port as well as some other functions. I am wanting to try a custom ROM but I understand that I may have to introduce compatibility for my phone's hardware. Is this exceptionally hard to do? Can someone help me do this over discord or anything (Coaching?)?
Hi there, here is the tutorial https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-how-to-create-your-own-custom-rom-an-easy-way.2195858/

pandazz

Aug 26, 2009
So I'm building a MIDI app for Android (native, not cordova/react). I'm finding the delay from touching the screen to it sending the MIDI event is a bit much (anything up to 100ms). The tablet is going to be used purely for the instrument. Is there anything I can do to improve the speed? Would It improve response if I installed Linux instead and took away an OS layer? Is there anything custom that can prioritise the touch event and MIDI note on send?

Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I'm trying to determine the reason for frequent crashes/forced restarts on my new moto g power 2020 running stock Android 10. I review the logcat after every crash (used adp to allow an app to read them). There's so many entries at the time of the crash that it's really hard to parse what exactly caused the issue, because there's no consistency to when the crashes happen and the logs are showing different errors every time. The only pattern I've noticed is a lot of Java related errors but I have no idea if that's indictive of the issue or the result of it.

What exactly should I be looking for each time?

And to be clear I'm not just trying to fix the phone I want to diagnose whats going on first before I do any resets.

I'm not sure that your logs can catch the cause. If there's a kernel panic, there won't be time to write anything to the logs, but something less severe might leave some clues before everything goes down. If you're having a lot of Java errors, if may be because of a misbehaving app? I'm no expert, so I could be wrong.
    Last kmsg has the log from the previous run, as such it is what is most commonly used to diagnose random reboots. It often catches what happened just before the reboot, and hence often what happened to cause the reboot. Because its what happened on gthe previous boot, and is persistant through the reboot, there is no need to catch the log before the reboot, just capture it after the crash, on the next boot.
    Yes, that is correct, but their post implies(simply because it can't be done otherwise) that the device is rooted and that the user wants to convert a root using user app into a system app. That being the potential case, if they are rooted and do indeed move the root using user app to system, they will, by default, need to enable permissions for the app to now function as a root using app in system.

At the same time, if they aren't rooted, then, by default, they can't write to system in the first place.

I understand what you said, I'm just wondering what your specific point was.
    You are mixing up the terms between "root" and "system". They are not interchangeable terms, and one of my points is that people are using the terms interchangeably. And hence the assumption that by making it a system app they somehow have gained root permissions.,

If you grant root to an app while it is a user app, then convert it to a system app, the root permission will stick (untested, but pretty sure), as magisk assigns root by the app id, which does not change when it is converted to a system app.,
    Ive got a Samsung Frontier 3, sm-r760 (R760XXU2BQH1), its on Tizen 2.3.2.4, is there a newer version I can install? Thanks in advance guys, any help with this will be very much appreciated
    Simple Google search for:

"Samsung gear S3 sm r760 firmware download"

Would have gotten you the latest update as below:
    Hi, kind of new here but I read the instructions. So I am running into a problem while installing any rom, when I tried to install the pixelexperience rom on my redmi note 4, it worked out fine and I used for a month or 2. But I was forced to restore my device with a backup I made after installing the rom because I think I downloaded a virus of some sort and my device just wouldn't respond. However, after restoring I got an error message extracttarfork() process ended with error=255. I just clicked reboot and it worked fine, but my phone wouldn't recognize my sim card or any wifi networks, not a wifi or sim card error, but a phone error. I searched for many articles and one article said formatting data might help, so I did that and my backup was gone, so I had to download the pixelexperience rom and flash it again. Now when I got into setup, the phone still wouldn't recognize my sim card or wifi. I tried formating data again both through format data and advanced wipe, and tried installing the corvus os. after flashing the rom and clicking on reboot I got a message saying "no os installed, are you sre you want to reboot?" I clicked yes and the corvus boot animation showed up but it went into a boot loop. after sometime however it did start but again the phone couldn't detect my sim card or any wifi network. after this I tried flashing a stock miui rom but when I click format data I got a failed to mount /system error. I tried changing the system file system to ext2 and then to ext4 and then I was able to format data but now the sd card folder is completely empty and when I tried sideloading the stock miui rom It worked but its stuck in bootloop. This is where I am right now and I'm trying to use mi's miui rom flashing tool but I don't know if that would work and I'd love to know if there is any way to fix this problem or there is no way and I have to take my phone to a service centre. I'd hate having to go to the service center because I like using custom roms butI have no clue about what I'm doing, so any help would be appreciated.
    You should need to restore other partitions like dtbo, persist, vendor depending on what led your device to this state.

Which model do you have? MTK or Qualcomm based?
    ok, so what exactly should I do?
    should I try flashing a vendor zip?
    sorry I'm new to this.
    If the last you did was flashing a custom ROM don't wipe something for now.

Try this fixes in this order, one-by-one, and then try to reboot:
    - Flash the persist partition.
    - Flash the vendor partition (from the last stock ROM)
    - Flash the latest firmware.
    All the above, you can do it over your installed custom ROM.
    - And if nothing fixes, then flash the latest stock Miui ROM through EDL mode that will serve as based for any custom ROM.
    This last you have to do it wiping every thing or let that Mi Flash tool wipe everything selecting "Flash formatting data" be careful to not relock the bootloader although for older devices it can be re-unlocked instantly.

From there you can start again...
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo