• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

kohos

Nov 15, 2010
www.facebook.com
Greetings!

I have a Samsung Galaxy A22 5G and did the awful mistake to play with the kernel without doing a backup first. I know...
So I'm in a bootloop now, factory reset did nothing. Since I don't have any ROM or backup on the phone, what would be the easiest way to push a rom onto the phone without beeing able to mount it (since I can't boot.

Is there a good way via adb cmd or some GUI 1 click rootkit/flashing tool?

Any pointing or linking in the right direction is highly appreciated <3

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Greetings!

I have a Samsung Galaxy A22 5G and did the awful mistake to play with the kernel without doing a backup first. I know...
So I'm in a bootloop now, factory reset did nothing. Since I don't have any ROM or backup on the phone, what would be the easiest way to push a rom onto the phone without beeing able to mount it (since I can't boot.

Download the official firmware for your device and flash it through Odin.

Reactions: kohos

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Thanks so much!

After 11 years of Android this is my first Sam,sung so never heard of Odin.
But why would I need the Firmware? Couldn't I just flash a new ROM?
I have everything backed up on the cloud, so I won't have any data loss.
This explains what is Odin and how to use it https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-update-samsung-galaxy-smartphone/

I don't know as it looks like you aren't more experienced on Samsung devices, otherwise you should try to restore only this partition by unpacking the boot image, decompressing it from the original lz4 format, then pack it again in tar format and flashing it again to the AP slot but if nothing of this part makes sense for you just forget it.

Anyway you'd need to flash the same exact firmware that was previously onto your device or a newer one (probably as you call it "a new ROM") this is to fix the partition that was damaged (the boot partition) by miss-tweaking the kernel.

What you have backed up would go over the same or newer firmware.

Reactions: kohos

Grey User

Sep 14, 2021
You are saying that you wiped everything, no? Then what do you want to do now? Reboot to TWRP maybey

You are saying that you wiped everything, no? Then what do you want to do now? Reboot to TWRP maybe?
Yeah thanks for the reply i want to install TWRP and flash a new rom but when i try to copy twrp from my pc it doesn't show the internal memory of the phone. And when i try to reboot the phone it's stuck in fastboot mode.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Yeah thanks for the reply i want to install TWRP and flash a new rom but when i try to copy twrp from my pc it doesn't show the internal memory of the phone. And when i try to reboot the phone it's stuck in fastboot mode.
Do you mean that through TWRP no files are visible to the PC? You can try with a simple trick by disabling MTP and re-enabling MTP again, or due to the encryption the first time you reboot to TWRP you'd need to format data.

The fact that your device boots to fastboot instead of system is because you don't have actually a ROM installed.

Double-check the steps indicated, you should miss something, maybe vendor, mdtp, dtbo, vbmeta, DM-verity or the latest firmware required that serves as base for that custom ROM.

Tisla_haki

Sep 17, 2021
So i think i have FDE storage or something but i cant mount it OR even FORMATE IT. And the thing is i cant even list partitions via TWRP shell on adb.
What i do
after entering TWRP recovery img and with a black screen becasue it is not working correctly for me.
$ adb -d shell --enter adb shell
~ # bash ---enter bash
vince / # fdisk -l -- type fdiks -l
vince / # - but there is no output
how is this posible?

On orange fox there is not fdisk at all.
And yes TWRT and OrangeFox does not have parted either.
UPD
okay i see the problem that im not root. But su or sudo does not work so what should i do?

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Trying to move the TWRP file from PC to TWRP is pointless in your situation.

You need to flash your stock system.img via fastboot or flash your full stock firmware using whatever tool is used flash devices made by your manufacturer. Then try moving the TWRP file from PC to your device's internal storage then boot into TWRP and flash that TWRP file then go back to home screen in TWRP and select the "Reboot" option, then select the "reboot recovery" option, then use the newly flashed version of TWRP to flash your ROM.

If you don't already have TWRP installed on your device, you can flash a TWRP.img via fastboot, then boot into TWRP and flash your ROM.

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
So i think i have FDE storage or something but i cant mount it OR even FORMATE IT. And the thing is i cant even list partitions via TWRP shell on adb.
What i do
after entering TWRP recovery img and with a black screen becasue it is not working correctly for me.
$ adb -d shell --enter adb shell
~ # bash ---enter bash
vince / # fdisk -l -- type fdiks -l
vince / # - but there is no output
how is this posible?

On orange fox there is not fdisk at all.
And yes TWRT and OrangeFox does not have parted either.
UPD
okay i see the problem that im not root. But su or sudo does not work so what should i do?
If you are not rooted, how su could work?

You first have to get it working, either TWRP or Orange Fox. No sense to keep it trying that thing you are trying to do.

Why you don't simply start by restoring all the partitions correctly flashing the latest stock Miui ROM through Mi Flash tool applying Format All and Flash Option taking care to not re-lock bootloader.

And from there start again…

Tisla_haki

Sep 17, 2021

You first have to get it working, either TWRP or Orange Fox. No sense to keep it trying that thing you are trying to do.

Why you don't simply start by restoring all the partitions correctly flashing the latest stock Miui ROM through Mi Flash tool applying Format All and Flash Option taking care to not re-lock bootloader.

You right i kinda broke it, now i can only boot to fastboot and Mi-recovery after wiping data in Mi-recovery. I will try Mi Flash tool now.

Tisla_haki

Sep 17, 2021

Actually, what should i do? When i installed Mi Flash tool and booted up phone it started default MIUI installation so i should proceed with it or i should press something in program on computer?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Actually, what should i do? When i installed Mi Flash tool and booted up phone it started default MIUI installation so i should proceed with it or i should press something in program on computer?
Yes, set it up at least to can enable USB debugging, check that OEM unlock remains enabled (probably is greyed out in "unlocked"), connect your device to a PC and run ADB commands, from there you can reboot to fastboot and install orange Fox, then reboot to it through commands, backup the most important partitions (probably first you need to format data), then transfer the BACKUP folder from Fox directory to the PC, and finally sideload the custom ROM you want to flash it onto your device.

Tisla_haki

Sep 17, 2021
Yes, set it up at least to can enable USB debugging, check that OEM unlock remains enabled (probably is greyed out in "unlocked"), connect your device to a PC and run ADB commands, from there you can reboot to fastboot and install orange Fox, then reboot to it through commands, backup the most important partitions (probably first you need to format data), then transfer the BACKUP folder from Fox directory to the PC, and finally sideload the custom ROM you want to flash it onto your device.
Okay i reinstalled MIUI (it works) but OrangeFox still asks for password for encrypted data partition to mount. I tried TWRP and the screen is still dark. And i tried PitchBlack Recovery (it asks for password too) but, screen does not react to touches. My phone is chinese (box is on chinese) but flash is global i think? So how can this be that nothing works fine on it?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Okay i reinstalled MIUI (it works) but OrangeFox still asks for password for encrypted data partition to mount. I tried TWRP and the screen is still dark. And i tried PitchBlack Recovery (it asks for password too) but, screen does not react to touches. My phone is chinese (box is on chinese) but flash is global i think? So how can this be that nothing works fine on it?
Display not working is regards to the driver supported on that specific version, I remember from one of my two Vince devices but the latest stable from here fixed it https://orangefox.download/en/device/vince

In the case of Orange Fox you have to boot to it, and then you have to flash the zip to have the add-ons available.

This device is extremely easy to deal with, sorry, but keep in mind that you are doing something wrong (flashing Global ROM on a Chinese device?).

TWRP or any recovery asking for password is a known "thing", you just have to swipe and go straight forward.

BlueZep

Sep 30, 2019
Hi there, even if i have this issue on a specific phone (Redmi note 7 on PE), I think this issue can be encoutered in any phone, so I ask here.
(excuse my english, it's not my native langage).
Suddenly my phone freezes and turns off. I try to reboot but it stays stuck on the G logo. I've waited for an hour, it doesn't boot. I try to save as many data as I can, beggining with my sd card. But I have some data stored on my internal storage (pictures, recording and my podcast log) that is encrypted.
My plan was to back up all I could, reset the phone and restore what I've saved. but each time i try to back up (Orange recovery fox project), it crashes at the data back up. On the log it says that it is a file stored on data/misc that causes the issue. Thinking its a corrupt one, i delete and try again. But it crashes again, because of another file on the same data/misc file. I've tried two times to delete those files whitout any success.
I'm kind of desperate here, what can i do to save those precious files?
Any help appreciated, have a nice day

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi there, even if i have this issue on a specific phone (Redmi note 7 on PE), I think this issue can be encoutered in any phone, so I ask here.
(excuse my english, it's not my native langage).
Suddenly my phone freezes and turns off. I try to reboot but it stays stuck on the G logo. I've waited for an hour, it doesn't boot. I try to save as many data as I can, beggining with my sd card. But I have some data stored on my internal storage (pictures, recording and my podcast log) that is encrypted.
My plan was to back up all I could, reset the phone and restore what I've saved. but each time i try to back up (Orange recovery fox project), it crashes at the data back up. On the log it says that it is a file stored on data/misc that causes the issue. Thinking its a corrupt one, i delete and try again. But it crashes again, because of another file on the same data/misc file. I've tried two times to delete those files whitout any success.
I'm kind of desperate here, what can i do to save those precious files?
Any help appreciated, have a nice day
It seems that the misc partition is missed, the bootloader needs to read it to can boot properly.

If this is the issue, get the misc.img file from your stock ROM; the last one that was previously as a stock Miui ROM base for Pixel Experience.

And flash it back fastboot flash misc misc.img

Reactions: BlueZep

BlueZep

Sep 30, 2019
It seems that the misc partition is missed, the bootloader needs to read it to can boot properly.

If this is the issue, get the misc.img file from your stock ROM; the last one that was previously as a stock Miui ROM base for Pixel Experience.

And flash it back fastboot flash misc misc.img
Thank you for your fast answer. It's a great relief knowing it might not be lost.
But unfortunately, i think I'll need more informations.
Where can i find this misc.img ? I've downloaded the last MIUI rom for my phone, i can't find no img.misc in it....
And then, how do I just flash this file and not the rest?
I've just been following guides two years ago when I flashed PE on my phone, sorry...

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Thank you for your fast answer. It's a great relief knowing it might not be lost.
But unfortunately, i think I'll need more informations.
Where can i find this misc.img ? I've downloaded the last MIUI rom for my phone, i can't find no img.misc in it....
This file might be in the fastboot ROM (not in the recovery ROM).

And then, how do I just flash this file and not the rest?
You can flash almost any partition through fastboot without need of the others to be flashed.
I've just been following guides two years ago when I did flashed PE on my phone, sorry...
Some recoveries include the option to back up this partition, also persist, vendor and mdtp can be helpful for these cases.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ....snip...

In the practice it's impossible to have a Samsung Q ROM for a Samsung device that official support stopped at Nougat, or at least I have never seen that. The most I could see is one and only one major update, of course may I totally wrong but never saw more than one update not supported officially.
    Funny you should chose Samsung for you example, my previous / spare device device is a Samsung S4 from 2013, which had official support stop at Lollipop (ie android 5, 2 before Nougat). There is an unofficial ROM using the blobs from the last official release for a current LineageOS 18.1 (ie R, ie Android 11), so that is the next version of android past Q. There is also talk of people starting builds of android 12 for this device. So it is very possible, but it also goes beyond the issue of manufacturers releasing the full source.

I used to build ROMs from source for this device and a few other even older devices (and released here on XDA), which were well beyond the last official versions released by the manufacturer (from jelly bean to lollipop I think on another). That is one of the reasons for using/building custom ROMs on older devices. ie to upgrade your android version beyond official manufacturer support. To enable building these ROMs, more than just the Kernel needs to be attained. The example I gave a link for is simply just one case I found in a single web search. If you read the article, it actually talks of samsung releasing their source quickly, which I would assume is the full source of the ROM, but not the source for proprietary hardware drivers.
    sure, but what do i do if i don't get an best answer, this is why i post everywhere.
    First, be patient. Second, respect the rules of this private platform. I assume you've meanwhile read them and also realised that we expect you to wait for at least 24 hours before you bump an unanswered question. I'm convinced you agree that a forum like XDA with 11+ million members, 3.5+ million threads and 78+ million posts can only be positively maintained to the benefit of its members if there're rules that are enforced.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Got a Droid Turbo with LineageOS recovery, only seen as offline, even with a 'factory' cord. Data and system were wiped to try to start anew, but the unexpected offline condition prevents any side loading. Any tips on how to remove the offline condition? My apologies if this is the wrong forum.
    It seemed better to answer you in this thread.
    Hi. :)

I do not have the device and do not know your setup, so generic answer. ;)
    • Some devices have issues with USB ports, best to use a USB 2.0 port.
      Also try a different USB port and/or USB cable.
      If it is a USB-C to USB-C cable, try switching it (End B to computer, End A to device.)​
    • Windows - Make sure you have the correct (additional) drivers installed for the device when is in fastboot mode.
    • linux - Make sure you have access to USB.
      Depending on the linux distro you are running..
      Make sure the device is set in your udev-dev-rules and you (user) are part of the plugdev group.
      adb might be able to connect, that is a different connection than fastboot.​
    • macOS - Normally works out of the box once platform-tools are installed.

Hope something above helps. 🙃

Maybe another member (who knows more about the issue you are running into) is willing to help. :D

Cheers. :cowboy:

PS.
    For anyone who is looking for the official link. :whistle:
    SDK Platform Tools - developer.android - WebSite - Link
    Can you please add more info on what you are saying? Those words mean nothing to me. " erasing caches through recovery" "logs are good"
    I guess "mean nothing to me" it really means that you are unfamiliar with.

You may need to read something like these:
    - https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/boot-your-oneplus-5-5t-into-recovery-fastboot-mode-0182576/
    - https://krispitech.com/oneplus-5-wipe-cache-partition/
    - https://nerdschalk.com/how-to-keep-track-of-battery-drain-information-on-android/
    Greetings!

Download the official firmware for your device and flash it through Odin.
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo