Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

ahmed6392

Aug 12, 2017
Hey guys,So um i am using redmi note 10 miui 12.5.3 global and i pulled the stock miui camera and gallery apk using adb pull commands. I plan to install pixel experience custom rom. How would i install these in that rom?

xAxB

Mar 9, 2017
I have never used Google to backup / restore SMS, and I have three questions:

1. I have two phones linked to the same Google account. If I was to backup the SMS on both phones, would Google create a separate backup for each phone, or would the backup of the second phone overwrite the backup of the first phone?

2. Suppose if I was to create a backup for phone 2, and restore it into phone 1 (assuming it is possible). Would the process wipe out all the SMS in phone 1 and replace with the SMS in phone 2, or would the SMS in phone 2 get merged with the existing SMS in phone 1?

3. Are third party apps (my Googling lead me to one called SMS Backup & Restore) better / worse? I have been on Samsung phones for a long time and Smart Switch worked well, but my latest phone is a Xiaomi (and I am likely to use a custom ROM).

Thanks.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney

1. I have two phones linked to the same Google account. If I was to backup the SMS on both phones, would Google create a separate backup for each phone, or would the backup of the second phone overwrite the backup of the first phone?

2. Suppose if I was to create a backup for phone 2, and restore it into phone 1 (assuming it is possible). Would the process wipe out all the SMS in phone 1 and replace with the SMS in phone 2, or would the SMS in phone 2 get merged with the existing SMS in phone 1?

3. Are third party apps (my Googling lead me to one called SMS Backup & Restore) better / worse? I have been on Samsung phones for a long time and Smart Switch worked well, but my latest phone is a Xiaomi (and I am likely to use a custom ROM).

Thanks.
I do not backup my data to google either, so I can not help you on those questions.

However, I do use "SMS Backup & Restore", a bit of info, in point form for brevity
  • You can backup from one phone and restore to a different phone. I have used it when upgrading/switching devices or custom ROMs
  • It saves the backup in XML (ie text files)
  • You can get it to auto backup to the cloud, incase your devoice dies between manual backups (which is what I used to do)
  • When restoring, it appears to append the restore onto whatever is already on the device. You could manually clear before a restore
  • Because its text, you can edit the text file to manipulate what gets restored

Last edited:
Reactions: xAxB

Full House

Thanks.
in my experience google doesn't save messages properly unless this has changed.

rather use SMS backup before changing Rom make an SMS / call backup you can recover data from any device by logging into the same Google account.

It seems to me that when restoring with the SMS backup app the data is rather merged.

Kolobokk

Jun 3, 2021
Good day!
I have two tablets Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70 and Lenovo TAB M10 FHD Plus TB-X606F. Voice input works on the first old tablet, but not on the new one. Both have the same latest versions of Google Translate installed. I tried to install the old version of Google Translate on a new tablet - nothing has changed. At the same time, if I click on the microphone icon in the virtual keyboard, the voice input works in both directions Ru-En. Naturally, the "Conversation" and "Speech to Text" modes do not work in the application.

I have already contacted the Lenovo forum and did everything they suggested to do there: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...-Lenovo-TAB-M10-FHD-Plus-TB-X606F/m-p/5101971
I also contacted the Google Translate forum: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...-Lenovo-TAB-M10-FHD-Plus-TB-X606F/m-p/5101971

What can be done?
Thanks!

------------
Google Translate: 6.23.0.03.393894181
------------
Tablet Lenovo: ZA5T0095UA
Модель: Lenovo TB-X606F (ZA5T0095UA)

Версия Android 10
Build number: TB-X606F_S300320_210716_ВМР
Core version: 4.9.190+ #1 Fri Jul 16 09:52:46 CST 2021
Lenovo Hardware Version: TB-X606F
Software version: TB-X606F_RF01_210716
User-ordered version: TB-X606F_USR_S300320_2107160909_V9.56_BMP_ROW
RAM 4 GB
ROM 128 GB
Processor: MediaTek® MT8768

Oct 1, 2021
when I run ADB commands like ADB devices my phones serial number comes up. I can put my phone into fastboot mode. But when I try to run a fastboot command power shell just reads <waiting for device> And nothing happens. The phone is on a black screen that says fastboot mode on the bottom of the screen. I’m fairly new. I’m trying to flash a GSI rom for lineage. Can someone tell me why fastboot commands aren’t working even tho ADB recognizes my device?

Szabo_tudor

Oct 3, 2021
I just bought a second hand Android tablet. The guy looked pretty shady, and he made it clear that he knew his way through tech. Is it possible that he might try to track me or do something? He told me that the tablet was not reset, but he didn't leave any personal data on it. I reset it from recovery mode or whatever it's called. Is it safe for me to use it?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
when I run ADB commands like ADB devices my phones serial number comes up. I can put my phone into fastboot mode. But when I try to run a fastboot command power shell just reads <waiting for device> And nothing happens. The phone is on a black screen that says fastboot mode on the bottom of the screen. I’m fairly new. I’m trying to flash a GSI rom for lineage. Can someone tell me why fastboot commands aren’t working even tho ADB recognizes my device?
You just have to install the proper fastboot drivers for your devices, you didn't mention the model, but the tools to flash the firmware usually include them.

After install the proper drivers, you have to update them through device manager in Windows.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I just bought a second hand Android tablet. The guy looked pretty shady, and he made it clear that he knew his way through tech. Is it possible that he might try to track me or do something? He told me that the tablet was not reset, but he didn't leave any personal data on it. I reset it from recovery mode or whatever it's called. Is it safe for me to use it?
If you reset it then it is safely to use anyway you have to take in account that any person in case they have a special fixation (not sure if it is the right word) on you, and they have advanced skills to spy on you, can do it. If one of those two elements don't exist, then all the fear is a complete nonsense.

Szabo_tudor

Oct 3, 2021
If you reset it then it is safely to use anyway you have to take in account that any person in case they have a special fixation (not sure if it is the right word) on you, and they have advanced skills to spy on you, can do it. If one of those two elements don't exist, then all the fear is a complete nonsense.
Thanks, that's what I thought as well, but I just wanted to know from someone with more knowledge than me. And the fixation is definitely not there, because this was just a random seller on a second hand announcement website.

Reactions: SubwayChamp

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
@UnknownAndroid100
Keep it here.

You just have to have this onto your PC, usually in the main directory https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools to run ADB/fastboot commands.

Install this to get sure it is installed alongside Windows https://naijarom.com/15-second-adb-installer-v1-4-4

And this fastboot drivers works for any and non "obscure" MediaTek device https://www.droidwin.com/download-install-mediatek-bootloader-drivers-for-fastboot-connection/ just follow the steps.

To work properly you have to enable previously USB debugging, then to install a GSI you have to enable OEM unlock and unlock the bootloader through fastboot.

javierX0

Oct 3, 2021
hi,I have recently changed my android to iOS. I am aware that It is impossible to migrate chats (free), but, if needed (i have important business conversations), could i restored the android backup in other android mobil after using iCloud backup?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Oct 1, 2021
@UnknownAndroid100
Keep it here.

You just have to have this onto your PC, usually in the main directory https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools to run ADB/fastboot commands.

Install this to get sure it is installed alongside Windows https://naijarom.com/15-second-adb-installer-v1-4-4

And this fastboot drivers works for any and non "obscure" MediaTek device https://www.droidwin.com/download-install-mediatek-bootloader-drivers-for-fastboot-connection/ just follow the steps.

To work properly you have to enable previously USB debugging, then to install a GSI you have to enable OEM unlock and unlock the bootloader through fastboot.
ok So I did all of the above. When installing one file, I had to connect my phone to my laptop, and it recognized it as HTC. So I went and found the xda link for HTC drivers... still, nothing. Well I can execute adb reboot bootloader, and my phone restarts and says fastboot mode. But still, when i try fastboot devices - nothing. When I execute fastboot oem unlock it merely says waiting for device in the command prompt. I dont get it?

This custom ROM in the about phone section it says Android 10. When I boot into recovery mode, it says android 4.4.2. ALso, the app icons are made to look like iphone icons.

If I'm actually working with android 4, could there be a different process or steps to unlock the bootloader and flash a GSI? (also, option in developer settings to enable oem unlock is not there) . ALSO, when I try to debloat on adb it says: --user 0 not recognized or valid or something to that effect.

Could this guy have modified this phone in such away it goes against the open source concept?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
ok So I did all of the above. When installing one file, I had to connect my phone to my laptop, and it recognized it as HTC. So I went and found the xda link for HTC drivers... still, nothing. Well I can execute adb reboot bootloader, and my phone restarts and says fastboot mode. But still, when i try fastboot devices - nothing. When I execute fastboot oem unlock it merely says waiting for device in the command prompt. I dont get it?

This custom ROM in the about phone section it says Android 10. When I boot into recovery mode, it says android 4.4.2. ALso, the app icons are made to look like iphone icons.

If I'm actually working with android 4, could there be a different process or steps to unlock the bootloader and flash a GSI? (also, option in developer settings to enable oem unlock is not there) . ALSO, when I try to debloat on adb it says: --user 0 not recognized or valid or something to that effect.

Could this guy have modified this phone in such away it goes against the open source concept?
I do NOT know *anything* about your particular phone. However, I have a vague memory of a previous phone I owned, that only allowed flashing the boot image via fastboot, when the phone was started into fastboot using the hardware keys. Rebooting using TWRP into fastboot failed.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016

Nah...HTC? You talked about an "obscure" device, obviously all the info is a total fake.

You can't install a GSI if your device is running KitKat, you need at least Android 8.1.

It's almost impossible to guess it but probably your device has a MediaTek device (6572 or so), without the official ROM available not much you can do.

Regards the drivers, you first have to set it up starting with ADB, communicate it to your PC and send it to bootloader mode but again not much you can do through it.

For debloating it, there are some commands you can try.

javierX0

Oct 3, 2021
Not my situation. I am talking the drive backup that is managed directly in the whatsapp app. My question is:

Now > I have android and a whatsapp backup.
After > I have an iphone with a icloud backup.
two years later > i need to review some android messages so i restored the backup in android
After checking the chat > I restore the icloud backup again.

So, the question is, both backups are always available in its operating system or once you use ios for first, android backup become unavailable?

Brianhogg13

Dec 23, 2020
Hiya, this is totally new ground for me. I'm looking to dump and see the potential of the arcade1up
I'm at this stage. discovered its an Allwiner R40 as shown below. the board itself has a flash update switch and micro USB but there is no official update. and from what I can see by googling this hasn't been done as yet berryberryawesome seems to have done the gen 1 board. restalgia has made progress but the board on his ms pacman that is officially supported for updating with the supplied tool on arcade1up site, that tool doesn't find my board, (rkdevtool)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcSn6XBpelg <- restalgias video

Hope this is in the correct place

Thanks

Code:
C:\Users\u1\Desktop>sx -l
USB device 002:002   Allwinner R40     13000001:04404700:78a80004:5c2b0451

Shaglok

Mar 22, 2011
I have a (maybe stupid) question. I have eSIM with the stock ROM in my Pixel 5. If I root will I lose the eSIM? And if I install a custom ROM?

Top Liked Posts