• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

herioeks

Jun 7, 2012
Taguig City
Hi, I would like to ask if anyone knows where could I find or identify parts for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N900S (Korean variant with TV Antenna)?

I want to replace broken parts, especially the Power flex but I can't seem to find the same part anywhere. And the Middle frame which has different layout because of the presence of the tv antenna.

The Power flex goes under the antenna which only have 2 contacts, where as the intl variant has 4.

Thank you for your time and everyrhing.

Xenophoresis

Dec 2, 2012
Is there an battery indicator for quick charging? or charging animation?
In the settings menu, it's switching from charging, slowly charging, and rapidly charging - isn't this a problem? should i switch roms?

I just flashed Pixel Experience Plus on Vayu, specifically:
fw_vayu_miui_VAYUGlobal_V12.5.2.0.RJUMIXM_450711067e_11.0
PixelExperience_Plus_vayu-11.0-20211010-1908-OFFICIAL

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi everyone,
Have you guys had any successful experience with upgrading firmware of a phone without reflashing the ROM ? (e.g LineageOS)
Well, I prefer to reflash a ROM everytime I update. Keeps the bugs at a minimum while clearing whatever leftovers and apps caches I have gathered. And since I am using Google, the whole sync that brings the entire phone to the previous look and feel is like 5 minutes. In 5 minutes I have every app already installed and all my contacts. There is no need to clear internal storage.

SpacedSyd

May 23, 2017
Well, I prefer to reflash a ROM everytime I update. Keeps the bugs at a minimum while clearing whatever leftovers and apps caches I have gathered. And since I am using Google, the whole sync that brings the entire phone to the previous look and feel is like 5 minutes. In 5 minutes I have every app already installed and all my contacts. There is no need to clear internal storage.
Mmm I ask that because I saw somewhere an adb or fastboot command to directly update the firmware, but I'm like 80% sure it may brick my phone.
Alas I don't have Google on my phone, I have to manually save everything. And my LineageOS version is so old that it doesn't feature the Seedvault implementation.
Did you mean that I am not forced to clear /data? Only /system ? 🤔

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Mmm I ask that because I saw somewhere an adb or fastboot command to directly update the firmware, but I'm like 80% sure it may brick my phone.
Alas I don't have Google on my phone, I have to manually save everything. And my LineageOS version is so old that it doesn't feature the Seedvault implementation.
Did you mean that I am not forced to clear /data? Only /system ? 🤔
Custom ROMs need a specific firmware to work/run over and to can run well or even run at all.
The term firmware is usually used to refer to the stock ROM that have to be flashed prior to install a custom ROM and not the other way around, or you should end replacing some partitions like system, boot, and maybe some more depending on what is containing the custom ROM.
In Xiaomi devices, the term firmware is most likely used to refer to a group of files with the core functionalities that doesn't contain the files that are in custom ROMs, updating the firmware it is a usual and health practice in this case.

lm8lm8

Nov 10, 2020
Hi guys,

do you know how could I solve this ? (it's very unconvenient to force reboot the device with no other issue)

running LOS14, darkjoker360+
build 7.1.2 NJH47F cea3bd4b9f

thank you !

Attachments

• VID_20211028_202025.mp4
    64.9 MB · Views: 0
Oct 28, 2021
Does an LTE modem/hotspot device that runs Android or could be rooted to run pdanet+ or something similar exist?

Visiting a family member in a very rural area, where CenturyLink is the only option and they are paying $70/month for 10Mbs service. This is outrageous for anyone but particularly retired people so I am trying to find a suitable replacement until Starlink comes online in that area.

Verizon seems to be the only carrier that has coverage, so after a little research I found Visible wireless, and set it up on my iPhone. Getting speeds fluctuating between 25 - 70 Mbs.
However, Visible limits it's hotspot speed to 5Mbs. I have used pdanet+ myself on an android phone while traveling to avoid being throttled and that was flawless.

Are there negatives of just using an old phone as a permanent standalone hotspot? (Galaxy 8+) i'm worried about the range and the number of devices a phone could handle too, so maybe the phone tethered to a PC over usb, then the PC sharing internet over ethernet to a router to provide wireless for the house- would that be better/worse than just using the phone as a router?

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi guys,

do you know how could I solve this ? (it's very unconvenient to force reboot the device with no other issue)

running LOS14, darkjoker360+
build 7.1.2 NJH47F cea3bd4b9f

thank you !
You have an Pixel XL? Lineage os 14 is nougat. Seems there are android 11 roms. Why are you struggling to work with out dated roms?

SeriousNick

Oct 29, 2021
Hi mates, it would be great if someone knew the solution.
So, I have a goal - to delete some system apps, right? I used adb to delete them, yet, if go to System>Apps>All Apps and in 3 dots menu select show system, the apps I've deleted will still be there. Now, I know why - their .apk files and some more info are stored in root/system/product/app/{app's folder}. So, here is a problem - I cannot delete them. Rooted X-plore can only view those folders, but cannot delete them (I should mention that certain folders in x-plore in root have red dot (including system and all the folders inside of it), which (seemingly) indicates that they cannot be interacted with). Then, TWRP seems not to be able to even find the folder mentioned (in file manager).

So, how can I delete them? Not only they take some space, I've already replaced them, so I don't need any recovery for them.

Last edited:

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
So, I have a goal - to delete some system apps, right? I used adb to delete them, yet, if go to System>Apps>All Apps and in 3 dots menu select show system, the apps I've deleted will still be there. Now, I know why - their .apk files and some more info are stored in root/system/product/app/{app's folder}. So, here is a problem - I cannot delete them. Rooted X-plore can only view those folders, but cannot delete them (I should mention that certain folders in x-plore in root have red dot (including system and all the folders inside of it), which (seemingly) indicates that they cannot be interacted with). Then, TWRP seems not to be able to even find the folder mentioned (in file manager).

So, how can I delete them? Not only they take some space, I've already replaced them, so I don't need any recovery for theym.
Some info:
Phone: Redmi Note 10;
Custom ROM: Nezuko OS;
TWRP: 3.5.2 for mojito by Nebrassy;
SELinux: enforcing;
Root: Magisk;
TWRP does not have root permissions for those folders. Is all about permissions. With root explorer, you have to change the root permissions for those folders in order to delete those apps, from read only to write. Afterwards, change them back how they were.

SeriousNick

Oct 29, 2021
TWRP does not have root permissions for those folders. Is all about permissions. With root explorer, you have to change the root permissions for those folders in order to delete those apps, from read only to write. Afterwards, change them back how they were.
Nice! Root Explorer worked. Although, I found the option to change folders from read only to read-write in x-plore too, and an option to delete appeared, however it says that files could not be deleted, code 1. It's interesting to me why? Also, while I'm here, how can I hide apps from launcher and drawer? Not delete nor disable, just hide. All I can find is either "use another launcher" or "use app hider" (which doesn't work). adb's pm hide was patched by Google, as I am aware. Any solutions?

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Nice! Root Explorer worked. Although, I found the option to change folders from read only to read-write in x-plore too, and an option to delete appeared, however it says that files could not be deleted, code 1. It's interesting to me why? Also, while I'm here, how can I hide apps from launcher and drawer? Not delete nor disable, just hide. All I can find is either "use another launcher" or "use app hider" (which doesn't work). adb's pm hide was patched by Google, as I am aware. Any solutions?
To be honest, just go with a different custom launcher, like nova or Lawnchair. It will have a performance improvement on your device and they are updated apps on a frequent base. Also, you can use custom icon packs in order to give a refreshed look to your device.

SeriousNick

Oct 29, 2021
To be honest, just go with a different custom launcher, like nova or Lawnchair. It will have a performance improvement on your device and they are updated apps on a frequent base. Also, you can use custom icon packs in order to give a refreshed look to your device.
So it is impossible or too damn hard or unreliable? Ok then, I will try to find a good launcher. I just like Pixel Launcher too much. First thing that comes to mind, Trebuchet? Can I even get it outside of Lineage OS?

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
So it is impossible or too damn hard or unreliable? Ok then, I will try to find a good launcher. I just like Pixel Launcher too much. First thing that comes to mind, Trebuchet? Can I even get it outside of Lineage OS?
It might not be impossible, but it is a headache and there are better and easier solutions available. If you want pixel vibe, you can try Lawnchair (do comes with a Google companion, that acts like the Google search page) or CPL, which is a customizable pixel launcher. My recommendation would be nova launcher, there is a reason this has been voted top tier custom launcher for years. Nova launcher is also customizable, it also comes with a nova companion - Google search - page. As for a pixel icon pack to customize every other not customized app, I use this : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.pt.iconpack.pixel

SeriousNick

Oct 29, 2021
It might not be impossible, but it is a headache and there are better and easier solutions available. If you want pixel vibe, you can try Lawnchair (do comes with a Google companion, that acts like the Google search page) or CPL, which is a customizable pixel launcher. My recommendation would be nova launcher, there is a reason this has been voted top tier custom launcher for years. Nova launcher is also customizable, it also comes with a nova companion - Google search - page. As for a pixel icon pack to customize every other not customized app, I use this : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.pt.iconpack.pixel
Just downloaded and set up Lawnchair. A very seemless change, probably cause it is a pixel-like launcher. Had to download QuickSwitch to get Gestures running, but so far - very good. Thanks a lot mate!

Reactions: Fytdyh

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney

So, how can I delete them? Not only they take some space, I've already replaced them, so I don't need any recovery for theym.
Some info:
Phone: Redmi Note 10;
Custom ROM: Nezuko OS;
TWRP: 3.5.2 for mojito by Nebrassy;
SELinux: enforcing;
Root: Magisk;
I do not know the device, but newer phones have read-only system partitions. If your phone/device is RO, you will have to use Magisk to hide it from a running system so it appears its not on the device, but it will still take up space on system. If you find a "copy" in your data partition (which may of been the one you deleted), that is actually an update. The original one on the system partition is not removed nor over-written. When you update system apps, they get written to your /data/app path. So if you delete the one on the data partition, the system partition one becomes active.

To hide it from your launcher and/or everything else, then you would be best to Disable & Hide the selected apps; or use magisk to uninstall it.

rene200308

Oct 28, 2021
Hello to all
I flashed a unofficial Lineage OS 18.1 for my HTC one A9 hiaewhl, when I reboot the system, it does not load, that is, if the loading animation appears lineage os, but does not go from there, what can I do?
The phone had Android 7.0 Nougat stock, thanks!

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hello to all
I flashed a unofficial Lineage OS 18.1 for my HTC one A9 hiaewhl, when I reboot the system, it does not load, that is, if the loading animation appears lineage os, but does not go from there, what can I do?
The phone had Android 7.0 Nougat stock, thanks!
That means is not booting. Have you followed the guide to the letter? And you did everything as instructed? Also, it seems the dev responded in the guide thread. Did you apply the advices he gave you?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016

So, how can I delete them? Not only they take some space, I've already replaced them, so I don't need any recovery for them.
Actually you should need more than root to achieve what you are trying. Newer android versions mount super partitions dynamically. Check this https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/script-android-10-universal-mount-system-r-w-read-write.4247311/

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
is it possible to port an A/B generic system image to a A-only device ? i intend on flashing a android beta gsi on a treble compatible tablet, which is A-only. tried my luck with google search to find such guide, with no avail. could someone be so kind to point me in the right direction ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I want to ASK a question but cant even see the ASK option anywhere!? Some forums drive me Nuts.
    You can ask exactly where you did write.
    Okay I finally did manage to boot into os. Although i wiped cache and system settings through recovery mode, it was stuck in boot loop as in this previous post of mine. What helped to get out of it was third option in recovery - "wipe user data(pics, music, etc...)"

Can anyone explain why that helped, what was written in user data that could have made it not boot? As i wrote - i patched with magisk and moved wrong boot.img, of the other os, on my phone, then i flashed totally new stock rom and was stuck in oxygen os not managing to boot itself - spinning circles animation.

I will make a troubleshooting post for other new users like me in the nord ce subforum. Now I can finally try to root a little guy and I have enough confidence to do it. Thank you guys for your help!
    Simple, when you flash an incorrect file/image, the files contained in this image are unpacked/split into the Android directory (it is not a solid nucleus), this wrong image/files manage how Android has to act, a wrong image/file will always give bad directions/instructions, and device won't work as desired; in the second act; when you are trying to return device to its natural/pristine status anyway some trash/traces get there, and it's not enough with just re-flashing the original image, but you need to clean all that remained there, this is what wipe data or in some cases format data does.
    How to create a thread?
    I have noticed it's possible to create a thread within nodes.. But my device doesn't have a listing..
    If your device does not have its own specific forum here and you want to create a thread to discuss your device, you will have to create a thread in the General Discussion forum here at XDA.

If you have questions about your device and would like to create a thread to ask about it, you will have to create a thread in the General Q&A forum here at XDA.

Or, you can post questions in this thread that we are in now.

Or, if you are looking to post some kind of software development that you have created, you will have to create a thread for it in the Miscellaneous Android Development forum here at XDA.

I have one more nooby question.

I would like to remove encryption on a Pixel XL using Universal DM-Verity, ForceEncrypt, Disk Quota Disabler:

- As I understand, step one format the device via TWRP to remove all encryption.

- Step 2 is to reboot back in recovery

- Step 3 is to flash the ROM. And this is where I have a question. Are there any TWRP flashable ROM for Pixel XL?

- If there isn't, then what are my options? When I flash the factory ROM using flash-all.bat it restarts the device thereby encrypting it and if I am not mistaken, TWRP also get removed?

- So I need a way to install the stock ROM and Universal DM-Verity, ForceEncrypt, Disk Quota Disabler without the first booting into the system (and thereby enabling encryption).
    There are some ROMs here https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/google-pixel-xl.5916/ that could bring you natively or at least you can disable the verity over them.

On a stock ROM you can't do it, so flashing back a stock ROM all returns to the original state.
    I had actually meant Lineage OS. I apologize for remembering wrong.

I appreciate the responses! You were very helpful. I wanted to find a way to identify the platform for future phone repairs other than a google search. For anyone who wants to find out the platform of their phone in the forum search (I'd like to contribute a bit if I can, I don't know who knows what) :

I actually found the answer to my question via app search. I looked for an app that functions like Speccy on the PC for android devices. Turns out there is one called CPU-Z that provides full specs of your device, including the Kernal architecture, for anyone else with similar questions. Which is apparently armv71. Strangely enough because DROID ULTRA is advertised as x86 Platform in a release article I found.
    To find technical details of your phones, a good spec list is normally available at www.gsmarena.com for many devices. It provides the model number, by region, which is very useful.

Also, if you are rooted or are flashing a custom ROM, there are many details regarding the platform of the ROM and hence pretty much your device, in your /system/build.prop file, which is also commonly found in the install ZIP file for your ROM.
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo