Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

tchl

Nov 15, 2021
If you heard the connection sound, you should be able to find the device in My Computer / This PC. Windows is supposed to ask the first time you connect a device what action you want to happen when it's connected; this doesn't always work, and some of us click away the pop up absent mindedly.

If you don't see your phone listed, check to ensure you have the correct drivers installed.

If you're just trying to make your phone automatically open on your computer when you plug it in, here's a guide that should help.
Thanks for the reply.

I checked under my This PC and the device is not visible. I clicked on the Auto Play settings and changed to ask every time but nothing changed, even after I rebooted both my pc and the device. When I select PTP on the device I get the pop up on my PC but when I click File transfer the connection disappears and I don't have a folder.

I'm guessing it is a driver issue. I appreciate your help.

Reactions: V0latyle

xAxB

Mar 9, 2017
Can anyone please do a summary, or point me to a summary of how different Android phone makers locking / unlocking bootloaders, flashing (for updates but also roll back) official / unofficial ROM?

As far as I know some manufacturers completely locks their bootloader (Huawei?), others make it extremely easy (Google), while others have some conditions (Xiaomi needing to install certain software, wait a week), and yet others it depends (Samsung).

At the moment, I am very impressed by my experience with the Pixel. I found it extremely easy to:
- Unlock the bootloader
- Find every (?) official ROM ever released for the device (Factory and OTA are all on their website so I do not need to hunt if I want to test something on a particular version)
- Roll back (on the Pixel XL which came with Android 10 when I bought it, I was able to effortlessly go back to Android 7, then update to 8, then back to 7, then update to 10 - obviously need to wipe when rolling back but there was no restrictions). I needed to do this for some testing.

As far as I know OnePlus also make bootloader unlocking easy. But do they make it easy to find older ROM / roll back? As far as I know, Xiaomi for instance have some anti-rollback thing on some of their phone.

And other than Google and OnePlus, are there any other phone maker I should look at? Thanks.

TBH, I am perfectly happy with Google on this aspect, but on the hardware side, sometime the Pixel isn't what I am really after, so it would be nice to have other alternative to at least compare with.

Nov 26, 2021
If it turns out that the storage being full is actually the problem, USB debugging not being enabled is a roadblock as far as deleting some data. But, as @SubwayChamp stated, if you use the SPFT software, it has an option to save your data. Or, if there is a custom recovery such as TWRP for your device, you can install TWRP recovery then use the file explorer that is built into TWRP to navigate through the folders/files in storage one at a time and delete anything that you think is unimportant. You shouldn't have to clear a large amount of space, 100-300 megabytes should be enough.
I'll be honest I downloaded sp flash tool and I coudln't really figure out with file to use or where to find it in order to download my data. But I followed this method and have a bunch of .bin files, if i were to then reformat the device, how would i put the files back on? or is there even a way to access them now in their current form?

@SubwayChamp if you could provide some insight as well please.

Link I followed: https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-40865.html

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I'll be honest I downloaded sp flash tool and I coudln't really figure out with file to use or where to find it in order to download my data. But I followed this method and have a bunch of .bin files, if i were to then reformat the device, how would i put the files back on? or is there even a way to access them now in their current form?

@SubwayChamp if you could provide some insight as well please.

Link I followed: https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-40865.html
Don't remember exactly what you actually need to do.

Seeing this last post, I guess you did try to back up some (or all?) partitions, and you used mtk-client to try out.

If this is the case, firstly it looks like you dumped all the partitions at once with python mtk rl out, the problem will be that probably you don't actually need all the partitions from being backed up and the userdata will take a long time (and huge space). You probably only need to use the python mtk r option, for example if you need to back up the boot image to can patch it with Magisk then you may use type python mtk r boot boot.img

Reactions: mrrocketdog

NebulaXD

Dec 4, 2021
How can I flash my Nokia Lumia 630?

I tried on WPInternals, but it says:
Flash failed! Error 0x1106: Security header validation failed

I also tried THOR2, which also failed. It says:
Initiating FFU flash operation WinUSB in use. isDeviceInNcsdMode isDeviceInNcsdMode is false Device mode 6 Uefi mode [THOR2_flash_state] Pre-programming operations Disable timeouts Detecting UEFI responder Lumia UEFI Application did not respond to version info query Device is not in Lumia UEFI mode Device mode get failed, mode is 6 Connection lost, trying to re-connect Rebooting to the normal mode... Rebooting from the WP/MMOS failed. Operation took about 16.00 seconds. THOR2_ERROR_TO_COMMUNICATE_WITH_DEVICE THOR2 1.8.2.18 exited with error code 84102 (0x14886)

Can someone help me?

The Invizible

Feb 28, 2017
I do not like your chances, but have you searched github for a device tree for your specific Chinese model?

I once had a phone that was no longer supported by custom ROMs, but, a very similar phone was still being built by LOS. ROMs for the other phone worked on my phone except that the screen was upside down. I found (well someone else did) that this could be corrected by replacing two files with ones sourced from my device, and then the LOS ROM worked. On finding this out, I started building numerous newer custom ROMs from source, for my no longer supported phone.

Your sound issue may be caused by a difference in the default device blobs. There are also methods to build device trees from a running phone. They basically pull all the required proprietary blobs specific to your working device.
I'm starting to not like those chances as well. I've searched GitHub but found nothing relevant to my specific model.

How should I go about finding the files that are responsible for sound? also I don't have a device tree so I'm guessing that i'd have to build one myself. you think this work can be done by a total noob?

I should mention that the other model received an Ice cream sandwich update while the model that I have didn't. now if custom roms were based on an andoird 4 device tree, will my android 3 tree " assuming i build it " be compatible with it?

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
I'm starting to not like those chances as well. I've searched GitHub but found nothing relevant to my specific model.

How should I go about finding the files that are responsible for sound? also I don't have a device tree so I'm guessing that i'd have to build one myself. you think this work can be done by a total noob?

I should mention that the other model received an Ice cream sandwich update while they model that I have didn't. now if custom roms were based on an andoird 4 device tree, will my android 3 tree " assuming i build it " be compatible with it?
To be honest, building an android 4 or lesser ROM these days is really not worth doing for many reasons. Between compatibility issues with apps and a myriad number of security aspects not being available in Android 4 and older ROMs, it is probably more of a risk and inadequate operating system to be using with modern apps and networking.

0lPlayerl0

Nov 26, 2021
i cant find any recovery for my old tablet(gt-p1000)cant install cwm with rom manger or twrp
all of the link are broken put over 2 days to this If you can help me

Fytdyh

i cant find any recovery for my old tablet(gt-p1000)cant install cwm with rom manger or twrp
all of the link are broken put over 2 days to this If you can help me
I strongly suggest you stop using this device. Google dropped support for it, the links are dead, almost every thread is dead, and at 512 MB of ram consider yourself lucky if basic functionality works, like calculator or calendar. Anything else, starting from internet browsing to gaming will not work. Best case scenario, use this as a live picture frame.

Sahib Abbas

Dec 2, 2021
hello. i dont know if this is the right place to ask. could anyone direct me how to install custom rom on sony xperia xa2 (h3133) running on android pie(9)? If anyone wishes to "spoonfeed" me the whole process it would be really appreciated. Directing me to respective links should be helpful anyways.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Reactions: The Invizible

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
hello. i dont know if this is the right place to ask. could anyone direct me how to install custom rom on sony xperia xa2 (h3133) running on android pie(9)? If anyone wishes to "spoonfeed" me the whole process it would be really appreciated. Directing me to respective links should be helpful anyways.
You will find here all that you need.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I plug my device into my pc with USB debugging on and permission given. I select File Transfer and I hear a ding from my pc that it has connected but the device does not pop up on my screen for me to transfer files. Any suggestion on how to rectify?
Look into adb push

I dont remeember if your device was one of the other ones where its somehow broken, however, I use FTP Over WiFi to transfer files, using the brilliant file manager MiX

I should mention that the other model received an Ice cream sandwich update while the model that I have didn't. now if custom roms were based on an andoird 4 device tree, will my android 3 tree " assuming i build it " be compatible with it?
Building a new device tree is not for a noob.

I agree with most others in regards to theage of your device. I would like to add a warning, with such an old device, you could end up spending a LOT of time & effort, only to have the physical device break the day after you get it working. Of course, you could be doing it for the challenge/hobby. Nearly all my phones I use until they physically die, and they are all MUCH younger than yours. Currently my spare / previous phone is from 2013 and its stumbling all over the place; and hence my upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Invizible

tchl

Nov 15, 2021
Strange question... What happens if you "delete" all system applications using adb?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Strange question... What happens if you "delete" all system applications using adb?
Your phone stops working. Most system apps perform duties for the OS itself and are thus required and assumed to be present. A VERY simple example would be your launcher. With no launcher, there is nothing for you to interact with on start up.

tchl

Nov 15, 2021
Your phone stops working. Most system apps perform duties for the OS itself and are thus required and assumed to be present. A VERY simple example would be your launcher. With no launcher, there is nothing for you to interact with on start up.
Okay and if you factory reset it would all come back?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I have almost always used customROMS, so not totally familiar with stock factory resets. However, my understanding of a factory reset (in recovery) is that clears your data partition, so if you modified / damaged your system partition, it remains damaged after a factory reset. You need to re-flash the ROM/firmware.

Last edited:

tchl

Nov 15, 2021
I have almost always used customROMS, so not totally familiar with stock factory resets. However, my understanding of a factory reset (in recovery) is that clears your data partition, so if you damaged / damaged your system partition, it remains damaged after a factory reset. You need to re-flash the ROM/firmware.
Thanks for the reply.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
No, anything removed or modified in the system partition will not revert to their previous state after a factory reset, factory reset doesn't even touch the system partition. Factory reset only wipes the data partition, the partition that your user installed apps, app/device settings, media files(music/photos/videos) and various other types of user data and files stored by the user are stored.

0lPlayerl0

Nov 26, 2021
I strongly suggest you stop using this device. Google dropped support for it, the links are dead, almost every thread is dead, and at 512 MB of ram consider yourself lucky if basic functionality works, like calculator or calendar. Anything else, starting from internet browsing to gaming will not work. Best case scenario, use this as a live picture frame.
Ok thx

Top Liked Posts

Hello. I recently bought an HTC Dream Developer phone 1. Do I understand correctly that I can run any firmware on it without a goldencard?
    Wiki quote:
    Well yes. Technically speaking you can run any firmware on it. Now the phone has 192 mb of ram. So I wouldnt go over android 4, if you want to have a usable experience.
    Hi recently started building custom Roms I tried EvolutionX for RMX1851 and I found this error =

Warning: An API level of 1000 is not supported by this compiler. Please use an API level of 32 or earlier
    13:52:22 ninja failed with: exit status 1

How can I fix this error please explain it more depth cause i have no idea what to do thanks for your help
    You should get better spport on one of the ROM dev threads. Such as:

On face value, I have never heard of any API 1000 (i think android is still in the 30's), so there appears to be something borked with your config or compile options.

Also, as a general rule when posting loooong logs, you would be better off posting to a text hosting website such as https://freetexthost.net/n instead of expecting someone wishing to help, to scan through a screenshot.
    Thanks for creating this thread!

I just managed to flash my S10 with a stock rom using the advice on this forum (thanks all!). The thing is, I thought that flashing the CSC file (and not the HOME_CSC file) would effectively wipe my phone.

I didn't get any errors and Odin gives me a Pass at the end, but when I reboot my phone, all my apps are still there. I've tried this several times, even trying the HOME_CSC once in case the files somehow were mislabeled.

Is it possible that things didn't get wiped because the rom version I was flashing was the same version that is already on the phone?
    Yes, probably because you are flashing the same firmware as what you already had or maybe something to do with Factory Reset Protection or Mobile Device Manager preventing the wipe in order to prevent FRP lock when you reboot the device. If you want the device wiped after flashing, first, remove the Google account from the device then boot into recovery and factory reset the device from within recovery then reboot.
    Hello. I recently bought an HTC Dream Developer phone 1. Do I understand correctly that I can run any firmware on it without a goldencard?
    Wiki quote:
    Well yes. Technically speaking you can run any firmware on it. Now the phone has 192 mb of ram. So I wouldnt go over android 4, if you want to have a usable experience.
    Hey guys.
    I am struggling for the last few days to do a full backup of my samsung note 8 to my pc. I prepared an external hard drive with a lot of space for that and didn't managed to back up.

I tried to perform ADB pull command to transfer the entire storage/emulated/0 folder. My phone storage is almost 60gb of total space out of 64. And the folder generated by adb pull was only around 19GB which means lots of files are missing.

I tried looking for other solutions but even for rooted devices there is no easy way to transfer everything to your pc.
    My phone is not rooted but might consider doing it after I managed to backup and factory reset.
    Is there any easy way to transfer every files on the phone to pc with few commands or input?
    How about doing the backup the old fashioned way? One by one, this way you are going to be sure.
    I love the new Noble Rom v2.2 but for whatever reason, my Galaxy Note 9 is having problems sending and receiving text messages now.

Are there any other ROMs for my Exynos Note 9 that have Android 12?
    You seem familiar with custom roms. Is there any reason why you don't want to check yourself the subforum dedicated to your phone?
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo