Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

optimusodd

Mar 15, 2011
Well, you said this, in the thread linked.The apps you did choose to "uninstall" although are not uninstalled this way (assuming you did it using ADB pm) are cut from the user control and sight (as if they were frozen)
Hello friend, sorry for the confusion,Launcher,Play store and Google play services were downgraded.Device is not rooted so there's no way that could uninstall.

......some OEMs require from these apps by running normally to can boot to OS.
That's strange, isn't Stock ROM flashing supposed to fix system modification, bugs, malware and bootloops occured due to broken or corrupted system files ?

And, not, the apps are not downgraded this way as if you replace them by the original app that came with.
By downgrade I meant system apps reverting to an earlier version.

the eMMC programmer (firehose) is the file that allows to use/communicate with this tool if a specific QPST version supports it. The eMMC programmer file is expected to be found in your stock firmware, if it doesn't have it then you can't use it by normal means.If the stock firmware have the needed files for QPST tool, then you can try with this method:
Thank you for the insight mate. I extracted firmware zip and inside "firmware update" folder found 2 emmc files "emmc_appsboot.mbn" and "emmc_appsboot_00460e1.mbn" but there is no file with "firehose" attached to it's name.And does QPST method work if your device is encrypted ? Does encryption play a role or it can be bypassed ? Thank you
emmc.jpg

Last edited:

optimusodd

Mar 15, 2011
Hallo optimal upgrade!
No I don't want to download anything, that was just an example for you!!
So you can see what I mean, IF you don't Know what to look out for.
I haven't had a Samsung galaxy S7edge in a long time, but I also had the same problem a few years ago. There were so many of the Roms and I downloaded the wrong ones first. And then there was exactly the same error message!
Just in Samsung's Odin-Recovery
Hello Rootbbit, sorry,okay I got you.You were asking me if I had flashed the right version of stock firmware specific to my device.Yeah ,the firmware I flashed was downloaded from the device specific support page of Asus website.Thank you for your help and concern!! (y)
BTW what error message were you getting in your case ?

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hello friend, sorry for the confusion,Launcher,Play store and Google play services were downgraded.Device is not rooted so there's no way that could uninstall.

That's strange, isn't Stock ROM flashing supposed to fix system modification, bugs, malware and bootloops occured due to broken or corrupted system files ?
Partial (incremental) OTA update as it is provided doesn't include many of the partitions, as in your specific case doesn't have an userdata image. And taking in account that you messed with some files from the userdata space, not having, the provided stock ROM, an userdata image, and not being the data wiped, then how this partition could be accessed again?. Flashing a recovery update is useless in this case, you'd need a full ROM, but again, a full ROM needs to replace/wipe the userdata partition, so the device can boot to OS, a full ROM won't discriminate to can replace selectively, only the files you tweaked/erased/uninstall/downgrade, it will wipe entirely the userdata space.
Files for QPST are not expected to be found into the firmware folder, but among the other images.
By downgrade I meant system apps reverting to an earlier version.
This doesn't harm at all.
Thank you for the insight mate. I extracted firmware zip and inside "firmware update" folder found 2 emmc files "emmc_appsboot.mbn" and "emmc_appsboot_00460e1.mbn" but there is no file with "firehose" attached to it's name.And does QPST method work if your device is encrypted ? Does encryption play a role or it can be bypassed ? Thank you
View attachment 5515797
As I explained previously, this also matter for this, the lack of those files.
QPST can be used without ADB or USB enabled or an encrypted device, but you need to send it to EDL mode and find the proper files to can use the tool, the most you can do now is search for the firehose programmer from a device that has a similar motherboard, and try if it works, I recommend you take a look on how it should work on other Qualcomm Asus devices to have them as reference, so all the Qualcomm Asus devices would be in the same boat, for example Google "unbrick Asus with QPST XDA"

Reactions: optimusodd

pokegee

Dec 13, 2021
ANDROID QUESTION (ios too in some cases)

Hi does anyone know how to find the url of an app, for example of I want to open camera on an android phone I would probably use camera:// . If I wanted to open another app like github then how would I find that specific app url? do i have to export the apk and find it myself?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
ANDROID QUESTION (ios too in some cases)

Hi does anyone know how to find the url of an app, for example of I want to open camera on an android phone I would probably use camera:// . If I wanted to open another app like github then how would I find that specific app url? do i have to export the apk and find it myself?
This sounds like you are asking about service providers? I have a list of stock androidones, but I remember when I was trying to find them, they were not well advertised.

Feduz

Jun 1, 2014
Hi to all! I have a problem with a game just installed, this is the popup error message:

{Mod edit}

I suppose that this is the solution.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

zxxz0x0

Jan 24, 2022
Hope you support me how to delete GAPP from Flash into System, I installed Clean ROM but it always installs the System with ROM. Cannot find Delete System in OrangeFox

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator & RC-RT Committees
Staff member
Hi to all! I have a problem with a game just installed, this is the popup error message:

{Mod edit}

I suppose that this is the solution.
Thanks!
@Feduz I've edit your above post! We don't accept discussions about or support to issues with warez applications, and the one you mentioned is certainly one of them.
XDA Forum Rules (excerpt):
6. Do not post or request warez.

If a piece of software requires you to pay to use it, then pay for it. We do not accept warez nor do we permit members to request, post, promote or describe ways in which warez, cracks, serial codes or other means of avoiding payment, can be obtained or used. This is a site of developers, i.e. the sort of people who create such software. When you cheat a software developer, you cheat us as a community.
Please refrain from searching advice in regard to warez in future. Thanks for your cooepration.

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Reactions: Badger50 and Feduz

Rootbbit

Jan 2, 2022
Hi guys
I need your help again
I need your help again.
I want to access my own ADB shell without a computer.
Device is rooted and has Android 7.0.
I have already read a few things and also tried a few apps, but nothing works. I have an ADB tool, which also works to access other devices, but not my own localhost!!!
I can connect to ports other than 5555, but then my device will show up as "offline".
And on port 5555: > connection refused <
What can I do without a computer to gain access???
Thank you for your professional help!
Greetings from Germany

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220125-111643.png
    Screenshot_20220125-111643.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 8

Rootbbit

Jan 2, 2022
Hello Rootbbit, sorry,okay I got you.You were asking me if I had flashed the right version of stock firmware specific to my device.Yeah ,the firmware I flashed was downloaded from the device specific support page of Asus website.Thank you for your help and concern!! (y)
BTW what error message were you getting in your case ?
Exactly the same error message.
But I had to Download the ROM from another site. So not from Samsung directly.
That's why I asked you if you downloaded yours from Samsung or from any other ROM

optimusodd

Mar 15, 2011
Exactly the same error message.
But I had to Download the ROM from another site. So not from Samsung directly.
That's why I asked you if you downloaded yours from Samsung or from any other ROM
My device is not Samsung but Asus.Did you flash your ROM via Odin or by recovery ? Did that wipe your user data ?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
U
Hi guys
I need your help again
I need your help again.
I want to access my own ADB shell without a computer.
Device is rooted and has Android 7.0.
I have already read a few things and also tried a few apps, but nothing works. I have an ADB tool, which also works to access other devices, but not my own localhost!!!
I can connect to ports other than 5555, but then my device will show up as "offline".
And on port 5555: > connection refused <
What can I do without a computer to gain access???
Thank you for your professional help!
Greetings from Germany
Use a terminal emulator app, it is the same thing as using ADBshell from PC. All of the commands for terminal emulator and ADBshell are the same except that when using terminal emulator, you leave out the "ADBshell" part of the command.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Use a terminal emulator app, it is the same thing as using ADBshell from PC. All of the commands for terminal emulator and ADBshell are the same except that when using terminal emulator, you leave out the "ADBshell" part of the command.
@Rootbbit
I was tempted to post similar. Just note, there is about 1% of stuff that can only be performed from a PC through adb commands. ie not even via a shell from a pc.

aIecxs

Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
U

that is only true on rooted devices. any terminal emulator is just regular app running inside it's own uid, therefore cannot run privileged shell commands (uid 2000) like 'reboot recovery'
https://www.xda-developers.com/tasker-5-9-2-beta-run-adb-shell-commands-without-tethered-pc

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Reactions: mrrocketdog

marmoh

Jan 24, 2018
i need help
my Samsung galaxy j7 core would suddenly freeze es its screen and stay unresponsive for what seems like no fixed amount of time before blacking out, now if i try to long press the power button in order to wake it up it wouldn't respond instead what would only work with it is force reboot (power+vol down).
everything on my phones was official. no sketchy apps installed nothing to pin down this newfound perturbance to. such occurrences would strike untimely, they dont seem to be triggered by a specific task that i do they just happen whenever, sometimes even if my phone is idle/not being used. i have tried doing a factory reset-tried stress testing-tried clearing cache partition. nothing seems to stop this although its worth mentioning that the factory reset seems to have lessened the rate at which the freezes would happen. any ideas as to what might be causing this?
so an update: i kept trying to use my phone somewhat normally although it still had that freezing issue, everything was usual until one day it just blacked out like it usually would so i didn't asume anything peculiar and tried to go for that forced reboot only to notice it has taken an unusually long amount of time stuck on the samsung logo screen, and so i (ever so ludicrously) removed the battery then placed it back in only to reface what i now know is a bootloop (it NEVER bootlooped before)
so i went and rebooted into recovery mode and (again, evernso ludicrously) tried to wipe cache partition, which took unusually long time to do then when i rebooted my phone it would automatically boot into the blue screen that is normally preceding the boot into recovery, then for a few seconds i would get a black screen with all sorts of error messages flooding the screen continuously, messages such as recovery not found system not found etc, i attached (an accelerated) video of the occurrence. please note that this is what it automatically boots up to upon pressing the power button solely
now i thankfully found out that i can normally boot into download mode, but i never dealt with samsung odin or anything of the sort (but im willing to try with this one)
my main question is will the phone (at that given state) be capable of having a (stock) rom flash through download mode if the recovery is not accessible or will that only be overkill.

im not dependant on that phone but i would really need for it to work again even if it wouldnt go back to its full potential as it is really special to me and I'd like to try one last time before giving up. sorry for the long talk
What apps did you install on the device? Do you have a lot of social media/messenger apps on the device?

Last edited:

Xm3Ga

Jan 27, 2022
Hello. I have an oppo a53s and I wanted to root my device. However, I can't find my phone's firmware. I don't find any website that provides it. Thanks in advance. :) ♥️

Top Liked Posts

Just to be sure and confirm i go to twrp-wipe - select cache and dalvik and wipe correct?
    I did that and then re downloaded titanium back up and it did not work ?

i am running android 11 official havoc os, microg and magisk v23

one more thing couple of days ago i downloaded the official twrp app through the store and it acted very weird would crash and whatnot and now i download titanium and it doesnt even want to open.

I know for a fact it has worked on my phone when i installed it a couple of months ago
    Also, erase all the files and folders related to TB, install the TB add-on, it's the manager to get the app running well, don't forget to allow permissions when prompted.
    Hi recently started building custom Roms I tried EvolutionX for RMX1851 and I found this error =

Warning: An API level of 1000 is not supported by this compiler. Please use an API level of 32 or earlier
    13:52:22 ninja failed with: exit status 1

How can I fix this error please explain it more depth cause i have no idea what to do thanks for your help
    You should get better spport on one of the ROM dev threads. Such as:

On face value, I have never heard of any API 1000 (i think android is still in the 30's), so there appears to be something borked with your config or compile options.

Also, as a general rule when posting loooong logs, you would be better off posting to a text hosting website such as https://freetexthost.net/n instead of expecting someone wishing to help, to scan through a screenshot.
    Thanks for creating this thread!

I just managed to flash my S10 with a stock rom using the advice on this forum (thanks all!). The thing is, I thought that flashing the CSC file (and not the HOME_CSC file) would effectively wipe my phone.

I didn't get any errors and Odin gives me a Pass at the end, but when I reboot my phone, all my apps are still there. I've tried this several times, even trying the HOME_CSC once in case the files somehow were mislabeled.

Is it possible that things didn't get wiped because the rom version I was flashing was the same version that is already on the phone?
    Yes, probably because you are flashing the same firmware as what you already had or maybe something to do with Factory Reset Protection or Mobile Device Manager preventing the wipe in order to prevent FRP lock when you reboot the device. If you want the device wiped after flashing, first, remove the Google account from the device then boot into recovery and factory reset the device from within recovery then reboot.
    Just to be sure and confirm i go to twrp-wipe - select cache and dalvik and wipe correct?
    I did that and then re downloaded titanium back up and it did not work ?

i am running android 11 official havoc os, microg and magisk v23

one more thing couple of days ago i downloaded the official twrp app through the store and it acted very weird would crash and whatnot and now i download titanium and it doesnt even want to open.

I know for a fact it has worked on my phone when i installed it a couple of months ago
    Also, erase all the files and folders related to TB, install the TB add-on, it's the manager to get the app running well, don't forget to allow permissions when prompted.
    I love the new Noble Rom v2.2 but for whatever reason, my Galaxy Note 9 is having problems sending and receiving text messages now.

Are there any other ROMs for my Exynos Note 9 that have Android 12?
    You seem familiar with custom roms. Is there any reason why you don't want to check yourself the subforum dedicated to your phone?
    I am only familiar with them in that I can follow instructions very carefully, lol.

I once soft-bricked this same phone because I followed the instructions incorrectly, so now I'm a little paranoid.

I will check out the sub-forum, but the last time I remember looking, I was a bit overwhelmed either by the sheer number of options or I wasn't sure if the ROMs would have the basic features that I wanted. So I was looking for some of the more "popular" ROMs to start with.

I hope that made sense.
    I dont know your device, but as a general rule, the first custom ROM most people look to, is LineageOS.
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo