Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Nice , ok here is my question , How can I install Android 13 Arm64 AB GSI on the Samsung Galaxy S9 - he who knows the answer will be the first in the world ! Good luck. I hope this question will not be seen as not relevant , Best regards Puck

Reactions: rsngfrce

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Then, it isnt one language to learn. And WHAT you wish to modify will determine which.

Either way, you are going to need to start building. So start there and when you wish to modiffy something, you could then investigate what language the change will require coding. A lot of "modifications" are commonly bringing in code from another source and integrating into your source. ie you dont need as deep an ability to code in that (or ALL) languages.

To start making custom ROMs, start building. Basically, you are gooing to need to leaarn a little of a lot of languages,, but generally its Java for the majority of what people see as customizing ROMs.e

Last edited:
Reactions: alanjoseph11

sarf2k4

Apr 3, 2012
Is it possible that, phone manufacturer to take out any root related feature of android firmware, even at the adb level?

Reactions: ntibbitts
Feb 7, 2015
how to fix sd card issue(need format) but i still can read/write when i was on twrp?
I've been get this issue 2x
previous problem i just simply backup all data when my phone on twrp to my laptop then format sd card
all data work fine. but It takes a long time to transfer data to laptop and again to mobile
I've tried switch sd card. my 2nd sd card works perfectly
edit: i get this issue after rebooting my phone, same with previous issue
edit: the issue has been fixed, trying to backup multiple files then delete from sd card on twrp after reboot the sd card show up again

Screenshot_2022-05-12-12-02-27.png Screenshot_2022-05-12-12-02-36.png Screenshot_2022-05-12-12-02-57.png Screenshot_2022-05-12-23-55-39-026_org.telegram.plus.jpg

Last edited:

NightShadow02

Mar 15, 2011
I've been gone from XDA for a while because of how smooth and easy MIUI is on my mi mix 3. recently got hold of a Huawei Nova 9 NAM-LX9 and can't seem to find any custom roms (or even dedicated forum sections) for it?

Was looking for an AOSP like experience to replace whatever is on this phone. Looks like HarmonyOS? Is this not Android?

Sorry, been out of the custom OS game for a while

Cykeek

May 13, 2022
Hi recently started building custom Roms I tried EvolutionX for RMX1851 and I found this error =

Warning: An API level of 1000 is not supported by this compiler. Please use an API level of 32 or earlier
13:52:22 ninja failed with: exit status 1

How can I fix this error please explain it more depth cause i have no idea what to do thanks for your help

Attachments

• Screenshot (170).png
    Screenshot (170).png
    428.9 KB · Views: 14

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi recently started building custom Roms I tried EvolutionX for RMX1851 and I found this error =

Warning: An API level of 1000 is not supported by this compiler. Please use an API level of 32 or earlier

How can I fix this error please explain it more depth cause i have no idea what to do thanks for your help
You are using an incorrect API. You need to use API 32 or lower.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney

You should get better spport on one of the ROM dev threads. Such as:

On face value, I have never heard of any API 1000 (i think android is still in the 30's), so there appears to be something borked with your config or compile options.

Also, as a general rule when posting loooong logs, you would be better off posting to a text hosting website such as https://freetexthost.net/n instead of expecting someone wishing to help, to scan through a screenshot.

Last edited:

Cykeek

May 13, 2022
You should get better spport on one of the ROM dev threads. Such as:

On face value, I have never heard of any API 1000 (i think android is still in the 30's), so there appears to be something borked with your config or compile options.

Also, as a general rule when posting loooong logs, you would be better off posting to a text hosting website such as https://freetexthost.net/n instead of expecting someone wishing to help, to scan through a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot (173).png
    Screenshot (173).png
    119.9 KB · Views: 9

MassiveAtom

Jul 14, 2019
I've been considering to purchase a secondhand Oneplus 7T, and the difference in price between a carrier locked and unlocked one is enough that I've been considering how I would unlock a locked device, but unable to find the info I need exactly. It seems to me that most of the locked OP 7Ts are from T-mobile, so I'll be focusing on that.
The steps on T-mobile's site says basically the following:
1. There are some eligibility requirements. If you haven't met them, you're out of luck (I assume I should then try my hands at one of the paid options locally to try it for me, but that costs enough that if it comes to that, I'd be better of just buying unlocked, and the fact that it's not something that's guaranteed to work makes this not an option it should come to).
2. If you meet the requirements, just go to `Settings > Wi-Fi & internet > SIM & network, then choose Advanced or Network Unlock` and select permanent unlock.

What I want to know is if I need to be connected to T-Mobile while doing so. If I purchase a locked device, and it arrives, can I just insert a sim from another carrier and do these steps? (I am from another country which doesn't have T-mobile, so that wouldn't be an option for me)
I __assume__ I can contact their customer support and try it via there, but what do you think my chances are of being able to do that, as a non-TMobile client?

Another thing I've considered is messaging the seller to see if they're willing to go to through the steps for me, and I'll throw in a bit extra money if they unlock it for me. For that to work, I do need to know if there are additional steps besides the 2 outlined above. Is it just those 2 things and some waiting?

Fytdyh

I've been considering to purchase a secondhand Oneplus 7T, and the difference in price between a carrier locked and unlocked one is enough that I've been considering how I would unlock a locked device, but unable to find the info I need exactly. It seems to me that most of the locked OP 7Ts are from T-mobile, so I'll be focusing on that.
1. There are some eligibility requirements. If you haven't met them, you're out of luck (I assume I should then try my hands at one of the paid options locally to try it for me, but that costs enough that if it comes to that, I'd be better of just buying unlocked, and the fact that it's not something that's guaranteed to work makes this not an option it should come to).
2. If you meet the requirements, just go to `Settings > Wi-Fi & internet > SIM & network, then choose Advanced or Network Unlock` and select permanent unlock.

What I want to know is if I need to be connected to T-Mobile while doing so. If I purchase a locked device, and it arrives, can I just insert a sim from another carrier and do these steps? (I am from another country which doesn't have T-mobile, so that wouldn't be an option for me)
I __assume__ I can contact their customer support and try it via there, but what do you think my chances are of being able to do that, as a non-TMobile client?

Another thing I've considered is messaging the seller to see if they're willing to go to through the steps for me, and I'll throw in a bit extra money if they unlock it for me. For that to work, I do need to know if there are additional steps besides the 2 outlined above. Is it just those 2 things and some waiting?
From what I gather, seems that there are phones than can be unlocked and phones that cant be unlocked. Given the previous owner wants to sell the phone overseas, it's his duty to unlock the phone. Now I don't suggest buying a locked smartphone to US, it will be just a headache to get it unlocked in Europe or any other country. The owner has to unlock it before selling it.

Craigdarrell

Aug 25, 2017
OK very new here....i read the posts and i have searched and have come up with nothing. Let me start by saying that i was screwed over by someone when getting this New Galaxy Z Flip 3 phone. Apparently from what i can gather is that this person did not send in a trade in device to samsung when purchasing a this Z flip from them. I found on their website that when you do a trade in device to get your new phone at a discounted price that if you don't send in that trade in, samsung reserves the right to remotely disable the new device that you bought (see attachments). Well now i have a locked phone and i cannot get it unlocked and i have called samsung and they will not do anything about it. I REALLY don't want to be out the money that i spent on this phone so i am hoping that there is a way to get around this by some sort of root or flash or something. And again I have searched everywhere and can't even find anything out on how to remove this lock or whatever it is.

IMG_20220517_130832.jpg IMG_20220517_130852.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt

Buy an unlocked international version of the device.

Fytdyh

OK very new here....i read the posts and i have searched and have come up with nothing. Let me start by saying that i was screwed over by someone when getting this New Galaxy Z Flip 3 phone. Apparently from what i can gather is that this person did not send in a trade in device to samsung when purchasing a this Z flip from them. I found on their website that when you do a trade in device to get your new phone at a discounted price that if you don't send in that trade in, samsung reserves the right to remotely disable the new device that you bought (see attachments). Well now i have a locked phone and i cannot get it unlocked and i have called samsung and they will not do anything about it. I REALLY don't want to be out the money that i spent on this phone so i am hoping that there is a way to get around this by some sort of root or flash or something. And again I have searched everywhere and can't even find anything out on how to remove this lock or whatever it is.View attachment 5616589View attachment 5616591
My advice would be getting a lawyer. Unlocking and messing with a device requires a responsive device. Seems to me you are quite locked out of yours. So get a lawyer and get your money back. Or get a deal with Samsung. Trade your phone for something else.

ltk6260

May 4, 2022
Hi all! i'm playing around with these at&t calypso (tinno u318aa) trying to use mtkclient to unlock bootloader. i found this thread ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/what-is-this-calypso-a318uu.4372081/#post-86278703 ) but i don't know and can't get, the phone into brum mode for mtkclient to recognize it.
ideally i'd love to get something like lineageos or another lightweight rom on there.
anyone have more experience with mtkclient and could help me understand brom mode?

Top Liked Posts

Hi, I am very new to rooting and xda. Could you please explain what you mean by that.
    Thanks
    There is search bar at the top of the page.Members are supposed to use that / Google before posting a question.
    e.g. you can simply use keywords "Root+Nokia 8.1+Android 11" into the seach box or navigate through "Forums > Nokia > Nokia 8.1".
    Anyway, here you go : https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/nokia-8-1-guides-news-discussion.8433/.
    Hope this helps!
    A stupid question...why every support to roms, etc is on TELEGRAM? There are indeed FOSS alternatives like xmpp, wjhy stixcko to something cklosed and non free?
    ...snip...
    The Force stop is disabled for the Xiaomi file manager.
    "Froce Stop" is different to disable / freeze. And there is also a "Hide". You access them through ADB. And if you have root, then you can also use a GUI through apps such as mine. TeMeFI I tend to Freeze & hide my apps. I found when I checked on earlier version of Android, frozen apps were still found in memory; I havent checked in newer android since I started to "Hide".
    thats the problem i cant select any of the other file managers i have installed, there no more prompt.
    From which file explorer, you are accessing to that file you want to open? Instead, can't you open it directly from the file explorer app, you want? For example, if you want to open an image, open Google File Manager, tap on the image and then the default photo/gallery manager will open that image, the same with any kind of files.

Also, you can disable File Manager from Miui using ADB https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/ this will, really, "behead" the app such way that won't interact with you (the user) anymore. Be sure that you have at least the default Google app installed to not force a factory reset to return to a functional state https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.nbu.files&hl=es&gl=US
    Trying to find the appropriate place to post this question.
    Why are there no tweakable modem/tuner-recivier/ LTE-4G-5G-GSM-CDMA posts or questions?
    Seems to me tuneable connectivity would be a top priority to me? What good is a custom device if you can't dial it in to your providers network and transmission bands especially if you are traveling the world or just need to improve your reception and transmission in a weak area and so on ?
    There is little or no discussion here on this seemingly important topic...JS
    What you are asking about is "dialed in" by flashing a modem for your specific model number for your region/carrier(this configures the bands and network type to those used in/by the region/carrier the modem is made for) and/or by using a SIM provided by the mobile service provider.
    Hello, I'm more intrigued than desperate with my question. I come with a presupposition that Samsung devices are rather straightforward to put custom ROM into, it well avoids hardbricking and the support from the community is very wide, although much is complicated by Knox, which has to be tripped. I might be wrong, I'd appreciate correcting if that's the case. Is there any other brand which comes close to this, maybe even better?
    Thank you.
    Google phones. Its in their interest. My old Nexus 5 had unbelievable dev support. My current P4A is not as supported as the old Nexus 5, but there iis still plenty of stuff around. When I had a Samsung, I alwys looked to the Pixel phones to see what could be done on mine. For example, I used my Nexus 5 to test ROMs before I transferred and recompiled them fo my Samsung S5 GT-I9506. Yes it was old, but I only upgraded about 18m ago. when my S4 got flakey. Samsung had more hoops to jump through compared to the Google device. eg Google devices use Fastboot to flash ROMs while sammsung inbvolves using ODIN; and I found some inconsistencies inn useage between versions. Fastboot are just text commands which are easily to document, what button to press on which version of ODIN can be troublesome.
    Oh yea, I switched from S4 last july (unfortunately, I let myself be talked into A series phone, for which the support isn't that great). Apart from the power button breaking repeatedly, it was a decent phone!
    Thank you for the answer with Google phones, I thought those would be very modular! How about some of the lower price margin brands?
    Also, when it comes to ODIN, isn't it the reason why are the phones so hard to brick? I might be really wrong but this was a belief I've held for some time now. I know that when a phone started bootlooping after a unsuccessful flash, it would default itself into download mode after a while, which I found quite satisfying
    I cant say I have actually heard of a Nexus 5 or a Pixel 4A being hard bricked; im sure it happens, but its not in your face everywhere. Normally a flash back of the original firmware gets you up and running after a soft brick on pixel device. However, to be clear, the Nexus 5 was built sooooo poorly. The N5 is basically an S4 in cheaper clothing (compare the specs), and you can see just how badly they were built/designed. I had both mine apart. When you go on eBay and look for a 2nd hand one, most have a cracked screen or a dodgy power button (just search for the 000s of YT clips how to "fix"). There is NO physical/mechanical support on large areas of the thin screen (bottom chin); unlike the S4, that has the electronics board supporting the whole screen area. Anyway, enough on that rant.

So I started with the N5 as it was so cheap second hand, and then got an S4 when I realised I needed an SD Card; and the prices also had came down; 2nd hand.

Ironically, a few years ago when the Samsung S10e came out I lusted after that phone, but it was over AUD $1K! I could not justify that cost, when I paid <100 for the S4. When the Pixel 4A came out, it was around/under the AUD $400 AAAAND it was basically a poor-mans S10e; plastic back, no SDCard (but it had 128GB internally) etc etc etc So I stopped lusting aftre the S10e and got a Pixel 4A; also because I knew the dev would be more extensive than on a Samsung. So my P4A is the cheap S10e 😜 My last few phones have been cheap versions of Samsungs.

Also, all the cheaper phones I saw were considerably physically bigger, so I do not know of many other phones. The form factor of the P4A was a big driver; and its price 2 specs pricing. So I cant help you suggesting another phone. There is a thread on XDA specifically for suggesting/getting suggestions of your next device. My Mother has (I think) a Nokia 7.2 and my father has a sammy a50 (or something). Both are oversized, and I noticed last time I visited them (and fixed/sorted their phones, the sammy software was behind the features of the Nokia, which were more inline with my Pixel.

There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo