Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi all! i'm playing around with these at&t calypso (tinno u318aa) trying to use mtkclient to unlock bootloader. i found this thread ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/what-is-this-calypso-a318uu.4372081/#post-86278703 ) but i don't know and can't get, the phone into brum mode for mtkclient to recognize it.
ideally i'd love to get something like lineageos or another lightweight rom on there.
anyone have more experience with mtkclient and could help me understand brom mode?
To send device to BROM mode, you should follow this thread, apply only what is for your specific device and what is for any mtk device.

Fytdyh

Hi I cannot find an app that can root infinix hot 4 lite I've tried many of them and they have all failed
Get stock rom, extract the boot image, patched it with magisk and see if you can flash it with mediatek flash tool. Some old mediatek inexpensive smartphones might have a more lenient bootloader, allowing you to flash a patched boot image without unlocking the bootloader. If this does not work, unlock the bootloader and try again. This time should definitely work

ltk6260

May 4, 2022
To send device to BROM mode, you should follow this thread, apply only what is for your specific device and what is for any mtk device.
hey subway thanks for writing me. When you say "follow this thread", which thread are you talking about? In the thread i linked, it mentions holding both power buttons down and then connecting the usb cable. I tried that.
thank you for your help!!

Anon1onexp

May 18, 2022
Get stock rom, extract the boot image, patched it with magisk and see if you can flash it with mediatek flash tool. Some old mediatek inexpensive smartphones might have a more lenient bootloader, allowing you to flash a patched boot image without unlocking the bootloader. If this does not work, unlock the bootloader and try again. This time should definitely work
Thank you sir, will try it out

Fytdyh

My phone is sm-n975u.
My question;
Somebody in my neighborhood clone to my phone how do I figure out who it is any ideas? I can hear them talking about what I'm looking at and I can hear them reading my texts and phone calls nearby.
thanks ,
Redderk,
aka: Fifty15O
What are you describing would imply that person has a way of seeing your phone screen. Did you left your phone unattended? See if you have some third party app you don't recognize. If you don't have root, beside the apps you have installed yourself, uninstall everything else. Without root access, you cannot uninstall a system app.

Hello. I recently bought an HTC Dream Developer phone 1. Do I understand correctly that I can run any firmware on it without a goldencard?
Wiki quote:
The consumer version of the T-Mobile G1 has been tivoized (the user does not have full access to the firmware and cannot download the unofficial version of the firmware). But especially for developers of applications for Android, a non-titized version of this phone was released - Android Dev Phone 1. The model is slightly different from the consumer design of the case, it was sold without binding to a SIM card...

May 19, 2022
Greetings, this is my first time posting here and I've tried different websites but to no avail.
My DS4 controller connects via bt to my phone and after 30s it just disconnects for no apparent reason.
Tested it on my older phone, works perfectly. Tested it on iPad, works perfectly. Both times about 30mins, two different games.
Also, it works on my PC as well.

This makes me think that the issue is with Galaxy A33, something is disconnecting my controller.
Even after doing a full factory reset nothing changed.
What can I do to try to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
My phone is sm-n975u.
My question;
Somebody in my neighborhood clone to my phone how do I figure out who it is any ideas? I can hear them talking about what I'm looking at and I can hear them reading my texts and phone calls nearby.
thanks ,
Redderk,
aka: Fifty15O
How do you know they are in your neighborhood if you don't know who it is?

How do you know they are nearby?

Whoever it is had to have sent you a photo/video message or an email with an attachment or something else like that with malicious code embedded in the image/video/email attachment, something you would have had to open/load/activate. Once you opened it, you allowed the malicious code to embed itself. Has anyone sent you anything suspicious or have opened anything from someone that you barely know or don't know at all?

It would require having something to work with to figure out what they did to invade your device. If you can find the malicious code that has embedded itself in your device, then someone here might be able to help you figure out where you got it from(a photo/video message or email, etc..), then you would know who the source is and thrn locate them.

Fytdyh

Hello. I recently bought an HTC Dream Developer phone 1. Do I understand correctly that I can run any firmware on it without a goldencard?
Wiki quote:
Well yes. Technically speaking you can run any firmware on it. Now the phone has 192 mb of ram. So I wouldnt go over android 4, if you want to have a usable experience.

Reactions: russanandres

Fytdyh

Greetings, this is my first time posting here and I've tried different websites but to no avail.
My DS4 controller connects via bt to my phone and after 30s it just disconnects for no apparent reason.
Tested it on my older phone, works perfectly. Tested it on iPad, works perfectly. Both times about 30mins, two different games.
Also, it works on my PC as well.

This makes me think that the issue is with Galaxy A33, something is disconnecting my controller.
Even after doing a full factory reset nothing changed.
What can I do to try to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Broski08

May 20, 2022
I don't even know if I'm in the right place or not so, if not, then please forgive my ignorance. My question is in regards to my home network. My wifi and wired connection disconnect without warning periodically and today I noticed some terminology in the system logs of my router that caught my attention and I'm hoping someone can help me understand a little better than Google was able to do. I'm attaching screenshots. Any help or advice or feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220520-002224_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-002224_Chrome.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20220520-002218_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-002218_Chrome.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 11

GravityShifter

May 20, 2022
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time

NO TROLLING

NO NAME CALLING

NO RIDICULING

NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Hi i really need help on this one My Vivo 2023 got updated into android 11 to 12 and i have a issue..

there's one issue im having rigth now. When ever i play some of my game all of them are blurry or Pixelated like it really ruin my gaming experience
Is there any way possible to fix this problem?? i really need your help guys

Cykeek

May 13, 2022
Hi i really need help on this one My Vivo 2023 got updated into android 11 to 12 and i have a issue..

there's one issue im having rigth now. When ever i play some of my game all of them are blurry or Pixelated like it really ruin my gaming experience
Is there any way possible to fix this problem?? i really need your help guys
report this issue to vivo community or downgrade from a12 to a11

How do you know they are in your neighborhood if you don't know who it is?

How do you know they are nearby?

Whoever it is had to have sent you a photo/video message or an email with an attachment or something else like that with malicious code embedded in the image/video/email attachment, something you would have had to open/load/activate. Once you opened it, you allowed the malicious code to embed itself. Has anyone sent you anything suspicious or have opened anything from someone that you barely know or don't know at all?

It would require having something to work with to figure out what they did to invade your device. If you can find the malicious code that has embedded itself in your device, then someone here might be able to help you figure out where you got it from(a photo/video message or email, etc..), then you would know who the source is and thrn locate them.
I'm stumped. I know they are in the area because they torment me everyday with it, it's been going on for awhile. I can physically hear them, I live in a rural country area and I have my suspicions but pin pointing it is something I haven't been able to do.
When I do a factory reset on my phone, it seems that theirs does the same. If I'm in developer mode, it seems they can do more harm. I don't understand how it can be possible that they can do it, but I do know the person brags about saying they are the best there is at it?? It's almost like stalking yet I can do nothing without physically having proof.
As far as downloading something malicious... I'm always trying different things and apps with developer mode so that broadens the scope even more. It seems when I change my password on my Google account, they know what it is as soon as I do it. I've thought, keyloggers, Linux Kali, ...
I've even changed from a Verizon account, to t-mobile, finally to a mint pree paid card..
With my Google account, I have several, but on my Google time line in maps, it's shows locations and addresses that I do not go to. At the same time on separate account, same day, same time, consistently it shows the locations I really have been to. Both are in the same broad area, up to 20 mile radius from 1/4 mile radius.
Hell, it is. Just to find out who is doing this, whom says he is , "the best that there is", would put me in a position let the other shoe fall.
Thanks

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I'm stumped. I know they are in the area because they torment me everyday with it, it's been going on for awhile. I can physically hear them, I live in a rural country area and I have my suspicions but pin pointing it is something I haven't been able to do.
When I do a factory reset on my phone, it seems that theirs does the same. If I'm in developer mode, it seems they can do more harm. I don't understand how it can be possible that they can do it, but I do know the person brags about saying they are the best there is at it?? It's almost like stalking yet I can do nothing without physically having proof.
As far as downloading something malicious... I'm always trying different things and apps with developer mode so that broadens the scope even more. It seems when I change my password on my Google account, they know what it is as soon as I do it. I've thought, keyloggers, Linux Kali, ...
I've even changed from a Verizon account, to t-mobile, finally to a mint pree paid card..
With my Google account, I have several, but on my Google time line in maps, it's shows locations and addresses that I do not go to. At the same time on separate account, same day, same time, consistently it shows the locations I really have been to. Both are in the same broad area, up to 20 mile radius from 1/4 mile radius.
Hell, it is. Just to find out who is doing this, whom says he is , "the best that there is", would put me in a position let the other shoe fall.
Thanks
If you have location data showing where they have been, you should be able to find their present location at any given time. If you can find their location in real time, you can go to their general area and have someone call you or text you, their phone should ring at the same time yours does, if you are close enough, you will hear their phone and be able to identify them. It is low-tech way, but it can work if you know their location and can get close enough to where they are.

I wasn't talking about something you consciously downloaded or willingly installed yourself, I mean something less direct than that. Something like viewing a photo that someone sent in a message, something sent to you by someone else that you had to click on to open/view/interact with.

The way things work with android is similar to how things work with Linux. The Linux kernel will not allow viruses or invading code to load unless the user has specifically allowed it, whether they knowingly allow it or not. When you click on something sent to you by someone else, if there is malicious code embedded in whatever they sent you, you unknowingly grant it whatever permissions it requests or needs when you click on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrocketdog

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
Hello guys

I have a question i want to change custom roms from android 11 to android 12 recently found out some beautiful sob made one for my phone super excited!

How or what is the best way to back up my personal files photos,videos,contacts,apps and info/memory etc etc ?

(I already know of titanium back up but when i search online it often is reconmended years ago nothing more recent so i was wondering if there was a newer or better way to do it now also twrp used to not be able to but now is by somekind of work araund orsomething but i dont want to take the risk)

my twrp is 1 year old do i have to update it to be able to flash android 12 ?
i already tried tp update it but their ****ty update app doesnt work and kinda seem skecthy?

grt

nemo

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Hello guys

I have a question i want to change custom roms from android 11 to android 12 recently found out some beautiful sob made one for my phone super excited!

How or what is the best way to back up my personal files photos,videos,contacts,apps and info/memory etc etc ?

(I already know of titanium back up but when i search online it often is reconmended years ago nothing more recent so i was wondering if there was a newer or better way to do it now also twrp used to not be able to but now is by somekind of work araund orsomething but i dont want to take the risk)

my twrp is 1 year old do i have to update it to be able to flash android 12 ?
i already tried tp update it but their ****ty update app doesnt work and kinda seem skecthy?

grt

nemo
What specific custom ROM do you currently have installed and what specific custom ROM are you wanting to update to? Depending on what you already have compared to what you want to install, you might not need to backup any data or wipe the device when you flash the ROM, you would just need to flash the ROM and Gapps for the ROM's android version without needing to factory reset or wipe the device after flashing. Commonly called a "dirty flash".

As for backing up your various data, there are adb commands for backing up whatever parts of data you want.

You can use "adb backup" commands to backup your user data such as user apps, app data, app settings, photos, videos, music, downloaded files and etc.. A simple Google for:

"ADB backup"

Should find a guide for you detailing exactly which commands to use to backup and restore your data via ADB backup/restore.

To backup/restore contacts, you can use "adb pull" and "adb push" commands. Do a Google search for:

"Backup contacts via ADB"

That should find a lot of links to pages explaing how to backup and restore contacts via adb.

Or, read through this to find a solution that works for you.

Reactions: mstrnemo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A stupid question...why every support to roms, etc is on TELEGRAM? There are indeed FOSS alternatives like xmpp, wjhy stixcko to something cklosed and non free?
    Hello, I'm more intrigued than desperate with my question. I come with a presupposition that Samsung devices are rather straightforward to put custom ROM into, it well avoids hardbricking and the support from the community is very wide, although much is complicated by Knox, which has to be tripped. I might be wrong, I'd appreciate correcting if that's the case. Is there any other brand which comes close to this, maybe even better?
    Thank you.
    Google phones. Its in their interest. My old Nexus 5 had unbelievable dev support. My current P4A is not as supported as the old Nexus 5, but there iis still plenty of stuff around. When I had a Samsung, I alwys looked to the Pixel phones to see what could be done on mine. For example, I used my Nexus 5 to test ROMs before I transferred and recompiled them fo my Samsung S5 GT-I9506. Yes it was old, but I only upgraded about 18m ago. when my S4 got flakey. Samsung had more hoops to jump through compared to the Google device. eg Google devices use Fastboot to flash ROMs while sammsung inbvolves using ODIN; and I found some inconsistencies inn useage between versions. Fastboot are just text commands which are easily to document, what button to press on which version of ODIN can be troublesome.
    Oh yea, I switched from S4 last july (unfortunately, I let myself be talked into A series phone, for which the support isn't that great). Apart from the power button breaking repeatedly, it was a decent phone!
    Thank you for the answer with Google phones, I thought those would be very modular! How about some of the lower price margin brands?
    Also, when it comes to ODIN, isn't it the reason why are the phones so hard to brick? I might be really wrong but this was a belief I've held for some time now. I know that when a phone started bootlooping after a unsuccessful flash, it would default itself into download mode after a while, which I found quite satisfying
    I cant say I have actually heard of a Nexus 5 or a Pixel 4A being hard bricked; im sure it happens, but its not in your face everywhere. Normally a flash back of the original firmware gets you up and running after a soft brick on pixel device. However, to be clear, the Nexus 5 was built sooooo poorly. The N5 is basically an S4 in cheaper clothing (compare the specs), and you can see just how badly they were built/designed. I had both mine apart. When you go on eBay and look for a 2nd hand one, most have a cracked screen or a dodgy power button (just search for the 000s of YT clips how to "fix"). There is NO physical/mechanical support on large areas of the thin screen (bottom chin); unlike the S4, that has the electronics board supporting the whole screen area. Anyway, enough on that rant.

So I started with the N5 as it was so cheap second hand, and then got an S4 when I realised I needed an SD Card; and the prices also had came down; 2nd hand.

Ironically, a few years ago when the Samsung S10e came out I lusted after that phone, but it was over AUD $1K! I could not justify that cost, when I paid <100 for the S4. When the Pixel 4A came out, it was around/under the AUD $400 AAAAND it was basically a poor-mans S10e; plastic back, no SDCard (but it had 128GB internally) etc etc etc So I stopped lusting aftre the S10e and got a Pixel 4A; also because I knew the dev would be more extensive than on a Samsung. So my P4A is the cheap S10e 😜 My last few phones have been cheap versions of Samsungs.

Also, all the cheaper phones I saw were considerably physically bigger, so I do not know of many other phones. The form factor of the P4A was a big driver; and its price 2 specs pricing. So I cant help you suggesting another phone. There is a thread on XDA specifically for suggesting/getting suggestions of your next device. My Mother has (I think) a Nokia 7.2 and my father has a sammy a50 (or something). Both are oversized, and I noticed last time I visited them (and fixed/sorted their phones, the sammy software was behind the features of the Nokia, which were more inline with my Pixel.

Just installed AOSP PixelPlus UI, (android 11) on my Nokia x6.

I love that ROM's speed and flexibility. Yet, it comes loaded wiht google apps, including stuff I would never use such as "Google photos", "Google File browser" and "Google assistant" bar of annoyance.

I have full adb/fastboot stack on the PC and unlocked bootloader on the phone. Any way to nuke the google apps that came with the ROM and flash the nano openGApps? Or at least disable the ever-annoying autoupdates of everything (built-in google is shameless enough to pull app updates over 4g). Hopefully without breaking the offline speech-to-text recognition, that feature is lit.
    Search for other vanilla build ROM, PixelPlus UI it's, as the name suggests, all about Google...

Or, if you are rooted, then go for them, browse the root directories, and delete, carefully, the apps you don't like.
    A stupid question...why every support to roms, etc is on TELEGRAM? There are indeed FOSS alternatives like xmpp, wjhy stixcko to something cklosed and non free?
    Because the idiots of the world prefer to use social media style platforms instead of forum style platforms. They like being distracted by clickbait, nonsense posts, other people's drama and scammers instead of being logical and using a platform that focuses on a specific purpose with purpose focused rules and purpose focused content expectations.

You know how people are, they never want information straight from the horse's mouth, they want to know what she said, he said about what the horse said. That and most aren't technically minded enough to understand a lot of what is in technical places like XDA so they go to places like Telegram because they need information from places like XDA to be dumbed down for them by people that they hope/think understands the technical information from places like XDA. That is convenient, which is what society wants, but, the problem with that is alot of the people that come to places like XDA then go to places like Telegram usually lose something in translation, especially after getting passed around from person to person on those platforms. We are all familiar with the game where you line a lot of people up then whisper a message in the ear of the person in the front then pass the message from person to person, when it gets to the end the message has morphed into something that is not even remotely accurate to the original message.

NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

HALL OF FAME

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

HTML:
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo