Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi, I am very new to rooting and xda. Could you please explain what you mean by that.
Thanks
What they said has nothing to do with rooting, being new to rooting is no excuse for not understanding what they meant. They mean that XDA website has a search feature that lets you search the whole site or individual threads using keywords for what you are looking for. And the WWW search means to do a Google/internet search for what you are looking for.

In other words, search the XDA website for:

"Root (your specific model number)"

Or do a Google search for:

"Root (your specific model number)"

That should find a guide to root your device, if one exists.

Reactions: plegdroid

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Hi, I am very new to rooting and xda. Could you please explain what you mean by that.
Thanks
New users should also have a read of the rules.

Also, you can actually use your fav search engine if you don't like/trust/understand XDA's built in search. Most accept criteria like site:forum.xda-developers.com [your search terms]
Boy, that was harder to find than I remember it. My old link I had saved no longer works.

mubi7866

Apr 4, 2021
South Africa
Hi need help if anyone can share android 12 firmware for x88 h313 TV box with sv6256 WiFi
Problem box is bricked I have android 10 and 11 firmware but phoenix suite won't allow to downgrade
Any help will be highly appreciated

Soumyadip999

Aug 28, 2016
My question might be very basic and I would like to say thanks in advance to anyone helping me understand. But I have a very particular question. I have a untouched emmc dump file of my phone. How would I restore it? I didn’t make it. My friend made it and he is now too busy and far away.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
My question might be very basic and I would like to say thanks in advance to anyone helping me understand. But I have a very particular question. I have a untouched emmc dump file of my phone. How would I restore it? I didn’t make it. My friend made it and he is now too busy and far away.
It would help, let us know to which device, model, and what did you back up?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I am going to guess that you dont need to restore , but would be happy to simply be able to access the contained files. As pointed out previously, knowing the file format is important. Some things I would try/investigate are, firstly, I have surprisingly found multiple times that windows 7-Zip has been able to read the contents of a lot of files, thus enabling extracting selected files. Next, I would look at the possibility of setting up a Linux drive and restoring the image to that temp device. Again, the format is going to really make the difference of what you could do.

Last edited:
Reactions: optimusodd

Soumyadip999

Aug 28, 2016
It would help, let us know to which device, model, and what did you back up?
Moto G5s Plus. Lemme give you some background. After unlocking bootloader, and installing custom ROM and TWRP lost my VOLTE. So, reverted to stock Oreo and hardbricked my phone. Anyways I blankflashed it and brought it back to life but now my bootloader version is degraded to 0.5 from 2.07 and it wouldn't let me do anything. Even on a unlocked bootloader it's giving security downgrade and preflash validation failed errors. So, I need to restore now . I need to do it because there is no Baseband and the phone cannot take calls

Soumyadip999

Aug 28, 2016
I am going to guess that you dont need to restore , but would be happy to simply be able to access the contained files. As pointed out previously, knowing the file format is important. Some things I woul.d try/investigate are, firstly, I have surprisingly found multiple times that windows 7-Zip has been able to read the contents of a lot of files, thus enabling extracting selected fiels. Next, I would look at the possibility of setting up a linux drive and restoring the image to that temp device. Again, the format is going to really make the difference of what you could do.
I can actually access them. Maximum of those are in img format. and the rest are in bin. I tried to flash them on my broken phone. The phone has no Baseband and no IMEI. It's a Motorola XT1804 and I have tried to fastboot flash the modemst1 and modemst2 partitions but the bootloader is denying permission. It's an unlocked bootloader. I have detailed my problem here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...own-imei-0-please-help.4460561/#post-87065299 but have found nothing till now that works. I have this feeling these dump files could bring my phone back from the undead

Soumyadip999

Aug 28, 2016
Moto G5s Plus. Lemme give you some background. After unlocking bootloader, and installing custom ROM and TWRP lost my VOLTE. So, reverted to stock Oreo and hardbricked my phone. Anyways I blankflashed it and brought it back to life but now my bootloader version is degraded to 0.5 from 2.07 and it wouldn't let me do anything. Even on a unlocked bootloader it's giving security downgrade and preflash validation failed errors. So, I need to restore now . I need to do it because there is no Baseband and the phone cannot take calls
The back is a full backup. It could literally revive a deadbrick phone my friend had said.

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
A stupid question...why every support to roms, etc is on TELEGRAM? There are indeed FOSS alternatives like xmpp, wjhy stixcko to something cklosed and non free?
its a trend ig. tg does look cool vs whatsapp etc since there are tons of awesome bots. ive always been on pcs and can def agree, deving on tg is a huge hassle, and it should be done elsewhere like a forum, git, hell even discord is a much better alternat

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
The back is a full backup. It could literally revive a deadbrick phone my friend had said.
redumping onto a phone is hard and there are many partitions that cant be written on. the linux cli has a tool called 'dd'
dd (input file) if=/your/file (output file) of=/the/partition
for unpossible to dump partitions, youd need to grab the emmc and dump it in another tool. the tool is actually pretty cheap, its the mind boggling operation to get the emmc without damaging anything that comes at a high risk
id honestly say go to an sc so they get the job done right, and theyll pay for the damages themselves

hdmodding

Jun 24, 2022
Thought I would post here since I have a problem with windows cmd
I am following this for a fire HDX8.9:

And am getting the error
"Error opening input file: 2 The system cannot find the file specified"

When running dd of=\\?\Device\Harddiskx\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mb and
dd of=\\?\Device\Harddiskx\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img

I have tried renaming and redownloading and replacing the target files Does anyone have an idea on what to do?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I can actually access them. Maximum of those are in img format. and the rest are in bin. I tried to flash them on my broken phone. The phone has no Baseband and no IMEI. It's a Motorola XT1804 and I have tried to fastboot flash the modemst1 and modemst2 partitions but the bootloader is denying permission. It's an unlocked bootloader. I have detailed my problem here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...own-imei-0-please-help.4460561/#post-87065299 but have found nothing till now that works. I have this feeling these dump files could bring my phone back from the undead
Try using fastboot to flash the system.img and modem.img/bin(sometimes it is a .img and sometimes it is a .bin)

Or use adb and dd commands to dd each .img/.bin to its corresponding partition.

You can also try downloading a firmware with the bootloader that you need and flash the bootloader via fastboot.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
A stupid question...why every support to roms, etc is on TELEGRAM? There are indeed FOSS alternatives like xmpp, wjhy stixcko to something cklosed and non free?
Because the idiots of the world prefer to use social media style platforms instead of forum style platforms. They like being distracted by clickbait, nonsense posts, other people's drama and scammers instead of being logical and using a platform that focuses on a specific purpose with purpose focused rules and purpose focused content expectations.

You know how people are, they never want information straight from the horse's mouth, they want to know what she said, he said about what the horse said. That and most aren't technically minded enough to understand a lot of what is in technical places like XDA so they go to places like Telegram because they need information from places like XDA to be dumbed down for them by people that they hope/think understands the technical information from places like XDA. That is convenient, which is what society wants, but, the problem with that is alot of the people that come to places like XDA then go to places like Telegram usually lose something in translation, especially after getting passed around from person to person on those platforms. We are all familiar with the game where you line a lot of people up then whisper a message in the ear of the person in the front then pass the message from person to person, when it gets to the end the message has morphed into something that is not even remotely accurate to the original message.

Last edited:
Reactions: SubwayChamp

Mumxek

Jan 1, 2021
Even lineages attitude wento worse, nonsensical exciuses about not providing last biuilds, i spent weeks trying compiling and without blobs from the deleted roms no way.
Is there any friiendly unlockable brand like was xiaomi wt44.... before they messed up edl? Still there must be a way , unfortutnately no info how programmers and bl are patched...
xmpp, fdroid, microg, what i miss is separate gps only position like in old 17.1 lineage, los 18 suddenly not support exfat..

My success rate of building roms and kernels fromhalf defunct repos was almost zero.

WHat i klack most is concise documentation on one place, ...

LOs+microg+mods, fdroid, xmpp - who needs whatsaapp and telegrams? e2e encrypted, just less known.

PS: I had telegram portable PC. Suddenly update, my stored creditentials were gone. Registration only via app. Buy SIM, put in my trusty GH388 Yes, GSM 900 only). Still have install telegream app on some junk phone to scan qr. And asking on telegram -- often instaban, LOS too. Another SIM in a pile of used SIMS. How i hate forced 2FA for any nonsense registration. My rule 1 email for few services, different passwords.

I dont understand sim swapping, its a cause of the tendencies piut everything to one email bound with a phone?

IMHO a SMS code from a bank via GSM dumbphone is safer than apps, smartphones etc. Id like hear arguments im not right.

God bless prepaid sims freely availabale at gas stations. No registration. How long this last freedom will last..?

Im frustrated if almost any flash has some minor issues....

Mumxek

Jan 1, 2021
Try using fastboot to flash the system.img and modem.img/bin(sometimes it is a .img and sometimes it is a .bin)

Or use adb and dd commands to dd each .img/.bin to its corresponding partition.

You can also try downloading a firmware with the bootloader that you need and flash the bootloader via fastboot.
Be careful you can brick. As no EDL, i unlocked (xiaomi need mobile data grr), booted any recovery in fastboot, put sdcard and dd emmcblk to card. But without EDL or some way run adb, you have the only way reprogram the emmc externally....

EMMC has a Rpmb block, probably there are otp fuses in the SOC, i think its not worth the risk

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
You need to flash again, the latest version available, use this https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/158726, if you didn't break the things it should work, anyway, you said that your bootloader is unlocked, if so, you can use fastboot to flash back some images, modem files are not accepted without other combination files that let it "permissive" to do so, for example, if you messed up the bootloader partition, it won't accept be flashed, you need first, to restore it, using the right blank flash file, not anyone you find out there.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Thought I would post here since I have a problem with windows cmd
I am following this for a fire HDX8.9:

And am getting the error
"Error opening input file: 2 The system cannot find the file specified"
When running dd of=\\?\Device\Harddiskx\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mb and
dd of=\\?\Device\Harddiskx\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img

I have tried renaming and redownloading and replacing the target files Does anyone have an idea on what to do?
This forum is for general discussion about the (complicated) Fire line https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/amazon-fire.4716/ some models don't allow unlocking bootloader after a specific build, though.
And this tool came after I had (and got rid of) the F7, you should take a look if it works for your device https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient

hdmodding

Jun 24, 2022
This forum is for general discussion about the (complicated) Fire line https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/amazon-fire.4716/ some models don't allow unlocking bootloader after a specific build, though.
And this tool came after I had (and got rid of) the F7, you should take a look if it works for your device https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient
Thank you for the reply - I thought it would be a good idea to post here since it seems like a win10 problem stopping the cmd execution.
I will look at the tool.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    just turned on, not in command or recovery
    also tried with phone needing os fix in recovery mode but same results on linux desktop (no devices found)
    Revvl 2 (recovery) Foxx L590A (normal mode)

yes

device recognized for file transfer, does that mean all necessary drivers

linux

tried 2 different cables, both work for file transfer and charging

yes
    No, device recognized for file transfer does not necessarily mean all the drivers are there. Typically, the drivers installed automatically the first time you connect your device to PC only installs the drivers needed for file transfer(i.e. MTP, etc.. There is a driver for download mode, a driver for recovery mode, a driver for adb, etc, etc.. These extra drivers usually have to be downloaded and installed separately. But, on a Linux machine with adb installed, the proper drivers should be there natively. When you installed adb platform tools in Linux, did it ask you about installing the drivers?

Also, some devices have to install an insecure kernel made specifically for their device in order to use adb.
    Any way to restore Messages after wiping with TWRP?

Pixel 3 rooted with Magisk. Was playing around and messed it up royally. Would only boot to a blank white screen that stayed on for a second.
    So, I used TWRP to Wipe/Factory Reset. Now setting up phone again. Photos did not get wiped, so that's good.
    I have backups of EVERYTHING from a couple of months ago (including Messages), but is there any way to get all of them back from the phone storage? Not a huge loss if I cannot, but I would prefer it.
    Thanks!
    If you mean standard text messages, probably no but maybe yes. If you mean WhatsApp or other social media messages, probably yes but maybe no.

If the device is rooted, there are many data recovery tools to achieve this with root. Or you can try DiskDigger or Easus data recovery.
    Just bought a used Xiaomi Poco M3 phone. Trying to unlock the boot loader and got to the step of Mi Unlock Status. It is telling me to insert SIM card and try again. My question is, Does it matter which type of SIM card I purchase? I was planning to purchase a cheap $10 1 month plan and SIM card. For example, could I purchase a Tello 1Gb prepaid SIM card powered by T Mobile and proceed with no issues after? Or are there other certain requirements when it comes to unlocking the sim card? Thank you in advance. I’m in the US if that matters.
    To unlock bootloader, you need to enable mobile data, and switch off, the WiFi, it doesn't matter which kind of SIM card you use to do so or you think to use once the bootloader gets unlocked.
    1. Settings -> system -> about phone (tap 7x) => now a developer -> attach phone with usb cable to desktop
    2.Downloaded platform-tools_r33.0.2-linux.zip on desktop
    3.Unpacked and opened command line in platform-tools directory
    4.adb start-server
    5.adb devices
    List of devices attached is empty

Am i following the wrong guides ? What is the correct way to attach devices ?
    What mode do you have the device booted into when you connect the device to adb and type the "adb devices" command? System? Recovery? You can't connect to adb while in fastboot mode.

You enabled developer options but did you open developer options and enable the USB debugging setting?

Have you installed the USB drivers for your device?

Are you using Linux or Windows?

Are you cetain that your USB cable is not damaged?

Are you certain that your device's USB port is not damaged?
    This may be a stretch, but I'll try: I need the app Helium backup, but on the google playstore the only relevant Helium app that I can find is the premium one.

This normally won't be a problem since it's cheap, however, in the reviews someone wrote that the premium app asks you to download the free version (as if it was just an unlocker), and the free version is not available on the playstore!

Does someone know what's going on with this app?
    I dont know for any certainty, but isn't/wasnt helium the backup app baked into LOS custom ROMs? or previous versions? You may also get a response / download link for the free version, from a request on the more targeted thread
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo