Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:
I'm trying to flash my Samsung a20 with lineage OS but I haven't rooted an Android device in absolutely forever I think the last time I did that I was running lollipop so if somebody could please direct message me so I could talk to you a bit about this whole thing and just clarify what is necessary what exactly I need to do Etc

Cuz I think I know what I need to do but I am not sure and don't have enough experience with these weird quirks of modern android

Fytdyh

I'm trying to flash my Samsung a20 with lineage OS but I haven't rooted an Android device in absolutely forever I think the last time I did that I was running lollipop so if somebody could please direct message me so I could talk to you a bit about this whole thing and just clarify what is necessary what exactly I need to do Etc

Cuz I think I know what I need to do but I am not sure and don't have enough experience with these weird quirks of modern android

Fytdyh

go back to stock

Already have read through those more times than I can count and still came away with more questions than answers which is why I need to talk to somebody who is more knowledgeable with this whole subject cuz I've been out of the loop too long and can't find anything that's really helpful and most importantly I want to make sure that I'm not going to screw anything up as with all my reading all I've ended up with is conflicting answers and myself being rather confused

Jul 1, 2022
Reactions: plegdroid

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
A bit more specific?
When you messed in some way, some things, in order to solve it, you need to format data. This means that if you flashed a stock ROM, you have to use the option to overwrite all the partitions involved, through Mi Flash tool you have to use, flash and format data option.
Also, no need to change partition format, this is almost never required, it does more harm than good.
As you can boot to TWRP, if it's allowed, then backup what you can, although it's a thing you have to do to the very starting point, probably you have a second chance to do so.

Jul 1, 2022
When you messed in some way, some things, in order to solve it, you need to format data. This means that if you flashed a stock ROM, you have to use the option to overwrite all the partitions involved, through Mi Flash tool you have to use, flash and format data option.
Also, no need to change partition format, this is almost never required, it does more harm than good.
As you can boot to TWRP, if it's allowed, then backup what you can, although it's a thing you have to do to the very starting point, probably you have a second chance to do so.
Thx, anyway I tried everythiing, from flashing a chinese stock in fastboot to install from scratch a weekly in festboot, format data, all..... still stuck in TWRP.
WTH is going on?

plegdroid

Recognized Contributor
Sep 15, 2011
Manchester, UK
Thx, anyway I tried everythiing, from flashing a chinese stock in fastboot to install from scratch a weekly in festboot, format data, all..... still stuck in TWRP.
WTH is going on?
Hiya Matey, I've sent a link that "maybe" of use, in your thread, keeps this thread tidy. Before taking any actions, I would highly recommend reading the whole thread, to gage what may work, and what has failed, ☕😊

Last edited:
Reactions: sergio-bodyweb
Already have read through those more times than I can count and still came away with more questions than answers which is why I need to talk to somebody who is more knowledgeable with this whole subject cuz I've been out of the loop too long and can't find anything that's really helpful and most importantly I want to make sure that I'm not going to screw anything up as with all my reading all I've ended up with is conflicting answers and myself being rather confused

I am still in need of someone to talk to for some assistance I haven't done this in too many years and all the form posts are just confusing after a while so anybody that could message me would be greatly appreciated

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
WTH is going on?
After to flash the stock ROM, reboot to the stock recovery, don't flash TWRP yet, and perform a factory data, try to boot.
If not, if you backed up dtbo and persist partitions, depending on what caused the issue, it may be helpful, restore them.
And once I solved this, by flashing the super image through TWRP, some build number trigger the FBE while others not.
This issue comes from decryption.

Reactions: plegdroid

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016

In order to flash a custom ROM, you don't need to root it, you just need to unlock the bootloader, and in this case, for this device, a custom recovery to flash through.

Steps needed: for generic solutions, just search on Google.
- Enable USB debugging, and OEM unlock.
- Install the Samsung drivers.
- Power off your device, and while pressing the both volume buttons, connect device to your PC, this will lead you to a menu, to unlock bootloader, follow the on instructions.
- Install TWRP using Odin, and search for a vbmeta patched file (in case you can't boot, you need to flash it too), you will find it in the A20 forum, https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/twrp-official-recovery-for-a20-and-a20e.4267815/#post-86192489, untick the option to reboot automatically in Odin, when the process ends, disconnect device.
- Reboot manually to TWRP by pressing PWR + volume up buttons.
- First in TWRP screen, swipe to allow modifications, and recommendable, format data, take a backup of (personally I do from) EFS, dtbo, persist.
- Flash the custom ROM of your preference.

Reactions: optimusodd

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Ok, first of all I had to MAKE my pc download MTKRoot because it said it detected a virus!

Anyway, I got it but I am having issues with every step of the directions starting with the drivers!

Everything pertaining to the bootloader is greyed out!

Are you sure about this MTKRoot?
I can't sure you that this method work, so I don't have this device, although I saw this method working for other MTK devices, but without a stock ROM, from where you can get the boot image, to can patch it through Magisk, the rooting process for you will be all about trial and errors, anyway, the site seems trustable.
In the past, when I badly need to use some file/tool, most of the time, to fix some device's issue, I reserved and installed other Windows drive in other partition, to keep safe the main.
Unisoc processors are not good to modding, though, be sure to properly install the drivers first.
Bootloader grayed out means that your device can't be unlocked, prior to do anything more, you should get it visible.
Once you can unlock the bootloader, here's a method, to port TWRP for your device
Additional info:
Once you can back up your device, you can patch the boot image (most typically) and flash it.

Last edited:
In order to flash a custom ROM, you don't need to root it, you just need to unlock the bootloader, and in this case, for this device, a custom recovery to flash through.

Steps needed: for generic solutions, just search on Google.
- Enable USB debugging, and OEM unlock.
- Install the Samsung drivers.
- Power off your device, and while pressing the both volume buttons, connect device to your PC, this will lead you to a menu, to unlock bootloader, follow the on instructions.
- Install TWRP using Odin, and search for a vbmeta patched file (in case you can't boot, you need to flash it too), you will find it in the A20 forum, https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/twrp-official-recovery-for-a20-and-a20e.4267815/#post-86192489, untick the option to reboot automatically in Odin, when the process ends, disconnect device.
- Reboot manually to TWRP by pressing PWR + volume up buttons.
- First in TWRP screen, swipe to allow modifications, and recommendable, format data, take a backup of (personally I do from) EFS, dtbo, persist.
- Flash the custom ROM of your preference.
This just tells me everything I've already read a hundred times and I have more specific questions that I don't want to go and make an entire thread about as that wouldn't really help me much either that's why I came here asking if somebody could message me so I could talk with them about this entire thing as all that information is practically useless to me that's just like the rest of this stuff I've been reading it just keeps leaving me with more questions than actual answers I mean really if I was confident in my ability based off of the information I got from all of the form posts here I've read I wouldn't be sitting here asking for someone to message me so I could talk to them about all this shenanigans

Now I don't want to seem rude but this is just tiring no one else reply to me giving me form posts or "generic" written instructions I need someone knowledgeable to please message me so I can talk with you as that is the type of help I need that I can't get anywhere else certainly not from the form posts I've already read too many times

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
This just tells me everything I've already read a hundred times and I have more specific questions that I don't want to go and make an entire thread about as that wouldn't really help me much either that's why I came here asking if somebody could message me so I could talk with them about this entire thing as all that information is practically useless to me that's just like the rest of this stuff I've been reading it just keeps leaving me with more questions than actual answers I mean really if I was confident in my ability based off of the information I got from all of the form posts here I've read I wouldn't be sitting here asking for someone to message me so I could talk to them about all this shenanigans

Now I don't want to seem rude but this is just tiring no one else reply to me giving me form posts or "generic" written instructions I need someone knowledgeable to please message me so I can talk with you as that is the type of help I need that I can't get anywhere else certainly not from the form posts I've already read too many times
I don't think someone is interested enough to sit in front of you, to give you all the answers to your questions, this site is keep alive for Android lovers, volunteer and enthusiast to help others for free, all here we have our lives, we are not here because we have nothing to do, but we reserve a time for others, but not to spoon-feed on you, most of us, started from zero, just reading and reading, and also bricking some device, from time to time, I never thought to ask anyone to give me a complete guide to make the whole process, XDA is not intended to do so, you have to search here, and read there, this way, you could complete and satisfy your curiosity. I understand, in some way, your frustration, but you'll never find what you are searching for, the learning curve is a process that never ends, no matter you can do it now, to your A20, later, the things can change (and totally) for the next device, so better, try to learn why you have to do this or that, and very important, the order how they have to be done.

Furthermore, I could, because some guides are more or less, generic, for devices that share some specs, but I had the A20, it didn't take me more than 10 minutes for the whole process though.

I don't think someone is interested enough to sit in front of you, to give you all the answers to your questions, this site is keep alive for Android lovers, volunteer and enthusiast to help others for free, all here we have our lives, we are not here because we have nothing to do, but we reserve a time for others, but not to spoon-feed on you, most of us, started from zero, just reading and reading, and also bricking some device, from time to time, I never thought to ask anyone to give me a complete guide to make the whole process, XDA is not intended to do so, you have to search here, and read there, this way, you could complete and satisfy your curiosity. I understand, in some way, your frustration, but you'll never find what you are searching for, the learning curve is a process that never ends, no matter you can do it now, to your A20, later, the things can change (and totally) for the next device, so better, try to learn why you have to do this or that, and very important, the order how they have to be done.

Furthermore, I could, because some guides are more or less, generic, for devices that share some specs, but I had the A20, it didn't take me more than 10 minutes for the whole process though.

Okay I'll make someone interested then cuz I'm over here trying to root my phone with nothing but my ****ing tablet so I have questions like do I need Odin or can I just push the file through console commands and crap like that or how I found so many conflicting answers about needing a customer recovery or which one to even use that's why all these form posts aren't bloody helping me cuz I'm in no man's land with no one to talk to that's why I came here pretty much out of options seeking assistance I don't need my hand held through the entire process as I've rooted Android devices before but that was like freaking nougat and lollipop absolutely forever ago and the weird questions I have I can't find a written answer for that's why I was trying to find somebody that would message me so I could actually talk to them and clear some of these confusions up it's taking me forever to get as far as I have and I'm surprised I have but I need somebody to talk to that knows more about this than I do who's experience isn't like 7 years out of date so for the love of God can somebody actually help me cuz you do not understand how frustrating it is to be sitting here with no one to talk to with relevant experience leaving you stumbling through the dark with only half an idea of what the hell you need to do and no idea of how you're supposed to do it hell I'm probably the first draft idiot who's ever tried to do this and just like everything else in my life I don't have the correct tools to do it the way everyone else says to so I have to try and find weird workarounds and jury rig a solution

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Okay I'll make someone interested then cuz I'm over here trying to root my phone with nothing but my ****ing tablet so I have questions like do I need Odin or can I just push the file through console commands and crap like that or how I found so many conflicting answers about needing a customer recovery or which one to even use that's why all these form posts aren't bloody helping me cuz I'm in no man's land with no one to talk to that's why I came here pretty much out of options seeking assistance I don't need my hand held through the entire process as I've rooted Android devices before but that was like freaking nougat and lollipop absolutely forever ago and the weird questions I have I can't find a written answer for that's why I was trying to find somebody that would message me so I could actually talk to them and clear some of these confusions up it's taking me forever to get as far as I have and I'm surprised I have but I need somebody to talk to that knows more about this than I do who's experience isn't like 7 years out of date so for the love of God can somebody actually help me cuz you do not understand how frustrating it is to be sitting here with no one to talk to with relevant experience leaving you stumbling through the dark with only half an idea of what the hell you need to do and no idea of how you're supposed to do it hell I'm probably the first draft idiot who's ever tried to do this and just like everything else in my life I don't have the correct tools to do it the way everyone else says to so I have to try and find weird workarounds and jury rig a solution
No, you are wrong, it's not a workaround, a maybe yes, maybe not, what I pointed out is the straight way forward to what you need.

You firstly said you need to root it, because you need to install LineageOS, and I clearly stated that you don't need to root it, in order to install LineageOS.

If you still want to root it, this can be done in the half of the process, without interfere with the most important for you, that I suppose, is to install LineageOS. In my opinion, your issue is not about technical insides, because this is absolutely normal for everyone, before to start any way, in the whole life, but all about anxiety and methodology.

Why methodology, well, I'll copy/paste my previous steps for you, and instead of only this symbol "-" I'll put numbers, that I understand we both, think that they mean the same, basically, an order, no?.

1- Enable USB debugging, and OEM unlock.
2- Install the Samsung drivers.
3- Power off your device, and while pressing the both volume buttons, connect device to your PC, this will lead you to a menu, to unlock bootloader, follow the on instructions.
4- Install TWRP using Odin, and search for a vbmeta patched file (in case you can't boot, you need to flash it too), you will find it in the A20 forum, https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/twrp-official-recovery-for-a20-and-a20e.4267815/#post-86192489, untick the option to reboot automatically in Odin, when the process ends, disconnect device.
5- Reboot manually to TWRP by pressing PWR + volume up buttons.
6- First in TWRP screen, swipe to allow modifications, and recommendable, format data, take a backup of (personally I do from) EFS, dtbo, persist.
7- Flash the custom ROM of your preference.

Ok, then now, you may question, what does the first step mean? I didn't put a specific link, even less, I can't put here the whole process to do so, because this is a generic guide for all the Android devices, that you'll find a lot of guides out there, it's already written, the same for the second step, the third step doesn't need more explanation, the fourth step is clearly stated, that you have to use Odin, OK, maybe here you don't know how to use Odin, then just search How to use Odin? It's already written, the fifth step, again, same for the sixth step, they don't need more insights, and for the seventh step, you have to read in the specific forum where you find the ROM of your preference. I encourage starting your way, following these steps, and if in some part of the process, you are stuck, feel free to ask again.

PD: Usually, I don't provide private assistance, so better keep it here. Anyway a lot of post you did, and never mentioned that you want to do all of this using a second phone, I don't want to be rude, but you see what the anxiety makes, do you expect to receive a lot of answers trying to figure out what you really want to do?.

OK, to the point, personally I don't like to use a second Android device over a PC, if the things go wrong, it is very, very hard to fix it.

Simple things can be done easily, read this https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...mands-from-one-android-phone-another-0384181/ but in the case of Samsung devices, as they don't have fastboot enabled (by normal means), you can't use fastboot commands, that is what you need in order to have more of the steps done.
What I think you can search for is, trying to install in your Tab, a Linux image, and get it to run, you should need to have Vine working, to have Odin, honestly, I never tried, but at least you have a clue, how this can be achieved or at least, from where you can look for.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

I just tried with fastboot, but no luck. I tried with the 2 fastboot I seem to have as they behave differently (one from the main menu, one from recovery).

$ ./fastboot erase cache
    Erasing 'cache' FAILED (remote: 'Unknown erase command.')
    fastboot: error: Command failed
    $
    $ ./fastboot erase cache
    Erasing 'cache' FAILED (remote: 'Erase is not allowed on locked devices')
    fastboot: error: Command failed
    $

Is there any I'll try to see if I can use MTKClient to erase the cache...

It's quite possible that the internal storage is full. Is there any way to work around that?
    Can you give me a screenshot of your stock recovery? There has to be a way to wipe cache. It may come down to flashing a stock firmware or even factory reset if that doesn't work.
    Any way to restore Messages after wiping with TWRP?

Pixel 3 rooted with Magisk. Was playing around and messed it up royally. Would only boot to a blank white screen that stayed on for a second.
    So, I used TWRP to Wipe/Factory Reset. Now setting up phone again. Photos did not get wiped, so that's good.
    I have backups of EVERYTHING from a couple of months ago (including Messages), but is there any way to get all of them back from the phone storage? Not a huge loss if I cannot, but I would prefer it.
    Thanks!
    If you mean standard text messages, probably no but maybe yes. If you mean WhatsApp or other social media messages, probably yes but maybe no.

If the device is rooted, there are many data recovery tools to achieve this with root. Or you can try DiskDigger or Easus data recovery.
    newbie question.

Can the stock kernel with stock rom be overclocked?

Thanks.
    Not likely. To overclock a kernel you need to make modification to the source. I dont think any manufacturer would have those changes. It puts the device at risk, which would risk them having to replace under warranty.
    Many thanks, There is no later update from Archos which I assume would therefore mean finding a customised ROM such as LineageOS to get a later OS?
    If one exists for your model number. If it doesn't, the best you could hope for is building it for yourself for your specific model number if the source code for your model number is available to the public or port an existing LineageOS ROM from a device that has the same hardware specs as your device, if there even is a Lineage ROM for a similar device.

Either way, neither building your own from source or porting an existing ROM will be easy for the uninitiated.
    1. Yes. Apparently nobody ever had this problem
    2. Device reboots instantly, cant access any of the data
    3. Both a/b partitions are wiped before every install
    4. Tried reformatting to 3.5gb sys/1gb vendor and 4.5gb sys/1gb vendor
    5. Ex4 is the expected fs, other throw an error at the start of the flashing
    6. Today I;ve managed to flash and boot HAvocOS
    7. This is something I do not know how to do ;(
    ...snip...
    2. On a failed boot, go into TWRP, and the file will be accessible there. And it will have the previous failed boot, so the ROM attempt and not the boot to TWRP. Its whole purpose is based on that feature. If your ROM supports it, its THE thing to debug boot issues. I have seen its support/implementation fade in newer android versions.

Another thing I have stumbled on recently which pumps out a HEAP of info during/about the boot is a "boot chart". I just recently found it, and it has a LOT of info, but to be honest, it wasnt the clear boot log/process of last_kmsg. In TWRP create a folder at /data/bootchart and place a file at /data/bootchart/enabled (0 length) Then boot, go back to TWRP, and there should be about 6MB of text logs at /data/bootchart
    Code:
    mkdir -p /data/bootchart;
    touch /data/bootchart/enabled;

3. I dont think A/B partitions have ALL the partitions duped. I dont have much experience with A/B, my current devices is one :confused:. However, I have read posts of people who have had issues when they do not flash the exact same firmware to both partitions.

7 To get yours is pretty easy, on a running ROM. And these values should be the same for any ROM running on that device, as flashing ROMs do not normally change them. I am also assuming you are rooted.
    Code:
    getprop | grep -e '\.model' -e '\.version.sdk' -e '\.manufacturer' -e '\.hardware]' -e '\.platform' -e '\.revision' -e '\.serialno' -e '\.product.name' -e '\.brand' -e '\.bootloader' -e '\.version\.baseband' -e 'ril\.sw_ver' -e 'ro.build.version.security_patch' -e 'ro.build.fingerprint' -e "ro.build.ab_update" -e "ro.treble.enabled";
    Or you can use the app GUI I have created, TeMeFI , and can find the method in the menu under: Current State>Get Selected Properties
    After getting those results, you should check what someone else with a working ROM install has, or ask the dev on the thread what is the expected values for BOOT & MODEM
    This may be a stretch, but I'll try: I need the app Helium backup, but on the google playstore the only relevant Helium app that I can find is the premium one.

This normally won't be a problem since it's cheap, however, in the reviews someone wrote that the premium app asks you to download the free version (as if it was just an unlocker), and the free version is not available on the playstore!

Does someone know what's going on with this app?
    I dont know for any certainty, but isn't/wasnt helium the backup app baked into LOS custom ROMs? or previous versions? You may also get a response / download link for the free version, from a request on the more targeted thread
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo