Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
When you say "NO", it would be best if you had actually kept a list of what you have tried previously, so people know what NOT to suggest, otherwise you may be taken as saying "I have tried everything anyone could suggest..."

When you say "system-wide" is there a reason you need equalization on your ring tone & notification tone?
I think they mean they want an equalizer that, once set to their preference, would work equally in all apps or at least, all apps that play audio, without having to set it for each app or each use of the apps.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I think they mean they want an equalizer that, once set to their preference, would work equally in all apps or at least, all apps that play audio, without having to set it for each app or each use of the apps.
And THATS why I asked specifically about the ringtone. And to be honest, I highly doubt they have tried EVERY equalizer on the playstore, and hence I asked for a list.
Hello. What can I do to get a system-wide equalizer working on my tablet? It's running android 11 and no free equalizer apps from the play store seems to be working. There is also no such thing built in.
I am rooted in a big part, for the reason of using Viper as my EQ. To test which if any eq is available, I know for me:
  • I install (and use) Vinyl Music Player Its the best I have found for working WITH android OS & not against it.
  • Click On a song in the list/library, so that song goes "full screen"
  • Click the menu, which then should give you a choice to see what system eq you have installed. Vinyl does not have its own EQ, it uses the system one.
Thing to watch out for, is if there is some "hidden" system EQ, which will disable/fail any new EQ you try installing. This is one of the steps I have to do when installing my custom EQ. ie disable the default EQ if there is one, and there normally is.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
And THATS why I asked specifically about the ringtone. And to be honest, I highly doubt they have tried EVERY equalizer on the playstore, and hence I asked for a list.

I am rooted in a big part, for the reason of using Viper as my EQ. To test which if any eq is available, I know for me:
  • I install (and use) Vinyl Music Player Its the best I have found for working WITH android OS & not against it.
  • Click On a song in the list/library, so that song goes "full screen"
  • Click the menu, which then should give you a choice to see what system eq you have installed. Vinyl does not have its own EQ, it uses the system one.
Thing to watch out for, is if there is some "hidden" system EQ, which will disable/fail any new EQ you try installing. This is one of the steps I have to do when installing my custom EQ. ie disable the default EQ if there is one, and there normally is.
Agreed. I was just giving an estimation of what they meant by system wide.

Personally, I prefer root audio/equalizers, never been satisfied by any non root version.

TheExileFox

Nov 21, 2013
When you say "NO", it would be best if you had actually kept a list of what you have tried previously, so people know what NOT to suggest, otherwise you may be taken as saying "I have tried everything anyone could suggest..."

When you say "system-wide" is there a reason you need equalization on your ring tone & notification tone?
There is nothing like an EQ listed in the sound settings, so what other options were there other than trying various equalizer apps from the play store?
I don't care if it would apply to the ringtones and notifications. (it's a tablet, I keep it in silent mode)

I want to use Firefox to watch e.g. YouTube and not have horrible audio.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
There is nothing like an EQ listed in the sound settings, so what other options were there other than trying various equalizer apps from the play store?
I don't care if it would apply to the ringtones and notifications. (it's a tablet, I keep it in silent mode)

I want to use Firefox to watch e.g. YouTube and not have horrible audio.
This is where screenshots would of been invaluable to clarify exactly what you are seeing on your device.:(

Again, I am rooted so that I can use Viper as my system equaliser. However, on that root thread, when people stray in and ask how to run viper unrooted, they are often directed to the following app on the playstore, that appears to be done by one or more of the viper devs.

Another thing I have a memory of for unroot use of equalisers, is that sometimes, the audio app starts BEFORE the equaliser, and thereby gets an "audio path" without the equaliser, and then holds onto that un-equalised path after you start the equaliser. ie tthe equaliser does not insert itself into the pre-existing audio path. The possible workaround is to (an extension of something vague i read and makes sense)
  1. Remove ALL other equalisers you have installed. This step is very important (and hence my previous post) and is a vital step for installing viper (although hidden to the user by the magisk module)
  2. Install an equaliser eg Wavelet
  3. start the equaliser
  4. Make some changes that will make it obvious if its working. and switch it on if it needs to be. In Viper, many fail because they forget to simply turn the power switch on.
  5. Do not "close" the equaliser. Use the home button, not the back key and not the recents (especially don't clear it from recents)
  6. Clear the app you want to equalise from the recents; if its there ie youtube (just to be sure....)
  7. force-stop the app you want equalised (ie youtube). ie Start the settings app and go into Settings>Apps And Notifications>*show all*>YouTube
  8. restart the app you want equalised ie youtube.
  9. Check if it works? 🤞
If the above works, please let other people here know that it worked. Im sure it would help others. Not me, Im happily using rooted Viper!

EDIT: Just saw you use firefox to watch video, then kill that. Does the eq work in the YouTube app? if it does, then maybe thats a bug in firefox. You also adding another layer for possible failure OR complexity to get it right.

lfad

Jul 12, 2022
The abd commands are universal.
Thanks - video showed me how to test adb. Successfully got adb to
> adb shell getprop
on a FOXX L590A

But i still cant use adb to retrieve data or force android to get past Android Recovery screen on Revvl 2. Have not tried factory reset (that will delete all file) Selecting try again just loops thru restart -> startup splash screen -> Androi Recovery screen. Stop.

Any suggestions

Attachments

• Revvl2-androrecovery.jpg
    Revvl2-androrecovery.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 3

Shimmy99

Apr 8, 2020
I have a perhaps unusual bit of Android-capable kit that I am looking for help with, and am wondering where I could or should post on this site to inquire further or even if it's acceptable to post here at all. It's a Chinese-made board that was just released a few months ago, called the "ITX-3588J" from Firefly (also known as T-Chip Intelligent Technology Co.): https://www.t-firefly.com/ It is a board with the form factor of a small PC but is built like a phone - it has an ARM SoC, onboard flash (eMMC), and more. Unlike phones though, this thing comes with complete ability to reflash, root, everything (there's even an Ubuntu 20.04 image from the vendor so it can run "proper" Linux too).

What do you suggest?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I have a perhaps unusual bit of Android-capable kit that I am looking for help with, and am wondering where I could or should post on this site to inquire further or even if it's acceptable to post here at all. It's a Chinese-made board that was just released a few months ago, called the "ITX-3588J" from Firefly (also known as T-Chip Intelligent Technology Co.): https://www.t-firefly.com/ It is a board with the form factor of a small PC but is built like a phone - it has an ARM SoC, onboard flash (eMMC), and more. Unlike phones though, this thing comes with complete ability to reflash, root, everything (there's even an Ubuntu 20.04 image from the vendor so it can run "proper" Linux too).

What do you suggest?
what is your question? You sound as if you have already purchased it, so use it?

koldas

Dec 4, 2016
Hi,
I have a question. In this case (see photo), data should start on the phone, thanks to the wifi assistant... But it won't.
Thanks for the advice and opinions.

It is written on the photo. Connected, no internet available.
Thx
Screenshot_2022-07-24-16-05-13-434_com.android.settings.jpg

Shimmy99

Apr 8, 2020
what is your question? You sound as if you have already purchased it, so use it?
I was wondering where to ask the further questions that I had. But if it is okay to ask here then, even: My problem is that the Android it comes with (a bare bones Android 12) is too minimal. It doesn't have the Google Play app (similar to what I've heard happens with various Chinese phones) and associated support apps (Google Services Framework, etc.), for one, and I'm trying to get that on. I have found or been directed to some things like OpenGApps and NikGapps that look to provide these but I have no idea how to install them correctly as all available installation instructions seem to presume installing to a phone with various restrictions and not a fully open and unlocked box.

The ultimate aim is to try and get a Linux desktop environment working alongside Android - perhaps using a virtualization scheme (c.f. Linux Deploy) if direct boot is not possible (as I suggested due to lack of mainline kernel support) - so I can run both Linux apps and Android ones on the same machine.

How can I install one of those GApps packages on this board?

Last edited:

lm8lm8

Nov 10, 2020
hello hello
Im a huge fan of alternative OSS for mobile -pmos, lineage..-, running LOS since few years, but mainly now to flee up gafamnt Im experiencing lineageos without any ggle/fb/others services.
Only/Main problem : looks like absolutely no application have geolocation working even if the gps is enabled ; I didnt added the gapps to get google pushed out of my phone.. is that normal?

I thank you vm

Privacydroid

Aug 10, 2022

Sony Xperia XA2 - Flashing TWRP stuck on "waiting for any device"​

For 8 hours i have been trying to install TWRP recovery on my Sony Xperia XA2 Pioneer H3113.
On PC i installed UniversalAdbDrivers from here https://adb.clockworkmod.com/ and platform-tools_r33.0.2-windows from here https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
I also downloaded the latest twrp-3.6.2_9-0 here https://eu.dl.twrp.me/pioneer/twrp-3.6.2_9-0-pioneer.img.html and LineageOS here https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/pioneer/

When i try to boot the phone in recovery mode by pressing volumedown and power it vibrates 3 times and then does nothing. Is the recovery damaged or wtf is going on?
When i press volumeup and power the phone boots normally to system instead of downloadmode or sometimes it vibrates once and then reboots.
If i remember correctly i was able to boot into recoverymode aswell as downloadmode and now none of them works but i did not make any changes to the phone.

So pressing volumeup and connecting the phone to the pc is nothing but a huge mess, sometimes the LED is green, sometimes to display goes on saying SONY, sometimes it shows the battery status and eventually if im lucky the LED goes blue meaning i should be in downloadmode... When i then open the CMD to type adb devices it starts the daemon.
However this might be a cable issue im not sure but the phone will randomly be disconnected from the pc (windows makes that sound always), meaning sometimes when i type adb devices it starts the daemon but most of the time the cmd gives no output. So i tried immediatly after the daemon started to execute the command "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.6.2_9-0-pioneer.img"
CMD output is ALWAYS the exact same: "waiting for any device".
This **** is driving me mad, i'f been searching for a fix on many websites reading tons of articles and watching tons of youtube videos, nothing worked.
After all that i beleve the issue has something to do with windows drivers. I should mentioned that the windows device manager shows the phone as unknown usb device with a yellow error mark. I can't find USB drivers for the Xperia XA2, no idea if that exists...
Im starting to think a phone repair shop or the sony companion program might be the only solution...

I saw so many people having the same "waiting for any device" issue, but none had a real solution... really hope someone here can help..

1.PNG

2.PNG

Viking222

Feb 14, 2022
I have a Moto G Stylus 5G 2022 (Motorola XT2215-4)
phone with MetroPCS. I have unlocked the bootloader and installed LeOS. However, I'm having lots of trouble with phone service that I did not have on stock firmware.
Problems include:
  • phone calls not going through at all
  • calls hanging on "calling" without any ringing
  • phone app not going to the call screen at all when a number is dialled or selected
  • frequent loss of service and/or internet access, especially while in transit
I have tried changing certain settings in the phone settings accessed by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, but to no avail. Any idea how I can fix this?

Also, I have other, unrelated (minor) issues with LeOS. What other thoroughly deGoogled gsi are available for this phone?

Jul 29, 2018
grand forks
Hi all. I have a random question. I have a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4, and the battery has been very inconsistent. I got the watch a couple months ago brand new, and I've found that the battery drains much quicker depending on which part of the building I work at that I'm in. It's a 2 story building. On the first floor, the watch lasts the whole day, if not longer, but on the 2nd floor it drains after 3-4 hours. Also, i use the watch the same amount no matter where i am. Any ideas?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi all. I have a random question. I have a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4, and the battery has been very inconsistent. I got the watch a couple months ago brand new, and I've found that the battery drains much quicker depending on which part of the building I work at that I'm in. It's a 2 story building. On the first floor, the watch lasts the whole day, if not longer, but on the 2nd floor it drains after 3-4 hours. Also, i use the watch the same amount no matter where i am. Any ideas?
It could probably be the radio/modem working overtime to keep a connection on the 2nd floor, it is probably rescanning more often on the 2nd floor. Or your phone is working overtime trying to keep connection to your network which overflows to the watch causing it to work more to stay connected to the phone.

Reactions: alwaysontheline

Shimmy99

Apr 8, 2020
Does anyone have an answer to my question from earlier? In case it was not clear, what I am asking is whether it is possible and how to "most correctly" to install something like NikGApps or OpenGApps on Android 12 - not 11 - and with what amounts to a fully rooted, unlocked and accessible system? All guides I can find seem to presume one doesn't have one or more of these which suggests some of their steps may not be necessary, and moreover neither package comes with explicit and clean installation instructions.

Shiningbrow

Aug 16, 2022
Hi all.

I just joined.

I'm in China, and trying to get around the privacy invading software on phones.

I recently bought myself a Galaxy F52 (SM-E5260). It's really annoying, losing battery fast, has serious privacy intrusions (Oh, you want to read the Notes you wrote? Well, you must allow us to copy them for later into our cloud).

however, I've done a search on here, and not finding this particular model having a ROM.

so, can I use the A52 custom ROMs?? Or would that just brick it?

If there's no custom ROMs, how can I get rid of Samsung's bloatware?

Related, but only because it's me doing othis.... I have purchased myself a Xiaomi 5X as my backup (and Wecom for work phone.... grrrr), and I'm going to install a custom ROM... I think! Is there any consensus on what's good and what's not? Or should I just get the .eu version to solve the various problems I'm had in the past (So, you'd like to look at what files you have... give us permission to copy absolutely everything you have!!)

Many thanks!

tom353

Jun 25, 2022
Hi,

After installing a security update, my Android device won’t boot. Is there a way out of this without losing my data?

My device is a Moto e7 XT2095-2 with Android 10.

After installing the latest security update I received, my phone is stuck in a bootloop.

“Can’t load Android system. Your data may be corrupt. If you continue to get this message, you may need to perform a factory data reset and erase all user data stored on this device.”

The device has a locked bootloader, it’s not rooted, and it runs the stock ROM.

I have no backup of my data.

I’m an Android noob, but reading to try and find out what are my options.

I tried to ADB sideload a stock ROM, but that doesn’t work with a locked bootloader.

I tried to switch slots with fastboot, but I’m getting the same bootloop (and the device reverts to slot A after trying a few times to boot on B).

So here’s my noob question:

With MTKClient, could I flash some of the partitions from the latest stock OTA? I’m thinking super.img, I unpacked it and it contains system_a.img, vendor_a.img, product_a.img, along with 3 zero-byte img for their B variant.

The stock OTA zip also contains a separate vendor.img and product.img – but these partitions aren’t in the list MTKClient shows me – makes sense since they’re part of super.img.

Am I on the right track with that idea? Could it work? Anything I need to be aware of before trying?

Thanks for any insight!

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi all.

I just joined.

I'm in China, and trying to get around the privacy invading software on phones.

I recently bought myself a Galaxy F52 (SM-E5260). It's really annoying, losing battery fast, has serious privacy intrusions (Oh, you want to read the Notes you wrote? Well, you must allow us to copy them for later into our cloud).

however, I've done a search on here, and not finding this particular model having a ROM.

so, can I use the A52 custom ROMs?? Or would that just brick it?

If there's no custom ROMs, how can I get rid of Samsung's bloatware?

Related, but only because it's me doing othis.... I have purchased myself a Xiaomi 5X as my backup (and Wecom for work phone.... grrrr), and I'm going to install a custom ROM... I think! Is there any consensus on what's good and what's not? Or should I just get the .eu version to solve the various problems I'm had in the past (So, you'd like to look at what files you have... give us permission to copy absolutely everything you have!!)

Many thanks!
ROMs are built for the specific model number it is to be installed on. You need a ROM for F52 or you could potentially port a ROM from another Samsung device with the same CPU and hardware components. To flash a custom ROM you'll need TWRP for your specific model number or you can port a TWRP from another Samsung device with the same CPU and hardware. To flash TWRP and custom ROMs, you will have to unlock your bootloader, you can't flash them if the bootloader is locked.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
D
Hi,

After installing a security update, my Android device won’t boot. Is there a way out of this without losing my data?

My device is a Moto e7 XT2095-2 with Android 10.

After installing the latest security update I received, my phone is stuck in a bootloop.

“Can’t load Android system. Your data may be corrupt. If you continue to get this message, you may need to perform a factory data reset and erase all user data stored on this device.”

The device has a locked bootloader, it’s not rooted, and it runs the stock ROM.

I have no backup of my data.

I’m an Android noob, but reading to try and find out what are my options.

I tried to ADB sideload a stock ROM, but that doesn’t work with a locked bootloader.

I tried to switch slots with fastboot, but I’m getting the same bootloop (and the device reverts to slot A after trying a few times to boot on B).

So here’s my noob question:

With MTKClient, could I flash some of the partitions from the latest stock OTA? I’m thinking super.img, I unpacked it and it contains system_a.img, vendor_a.img, product_a.img, along with 3 zero-byte img for their B variant.

The stock OTA zip also contains a separate vendor.img and product.img – but these partitions aren’t in the list MTKClient shows me – makes sense since they’re part of super.img.

Am I on the right track with that idea? Could it work? Anything I need to be aware of before trying?

Thanks for any insight!
Did you boot into stock recovery and wipe cache partition after flashing the update?

Reactions: tom353

Top Liked Posts

Hello,

Why is there two steps to unlock the bootloader (in the developer options and in fastboot)?

What are the differences? What is the point of the options in the settings?

Thank you :)
    The option in settings does not, itself, unlock the bootloader on some devices, it only puts the device in a state where it "can" be unlocked. On those devices, if the setting is not enabled, the fastboot unlock method will not work.
    hey peeps , i am currently rooting an htc one m8. the directions i found on the www say to flash a "no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip" .
    the last m8 i rooted (6,7,8 yrs. ago) i dont remember flashing this.
    is it necessary or for my best interest to flash it or no?
    any help appreciated ,
    dave
    It wasn't neccessary until after lollipop, I think. If you don't flash it, it will corrupt your rooting process or root functionality.
    Hello, for the next, you should precede the nicknames with a @, so they properly can mention on them.

The GSIs are not than specific like that, you should pick up one that suits for a MediaTek device, and if your firmware supports it, then you just go on.
    @SubwayChamp and @Droidriven thank you for taking the time to reply to me and helping out us noobs
    Hello, i want to know what application allows a phone to control a other phone with some very important requirements.
    I suggest USB solutions. I don't want to get mixed up with anything remote control as it sounds like dual-purpose spyware.

Do you have ADB enabled? If so, you can use my adbgrab.exe (in the sig).
    It's painfully slow compared to other ways of screen mirroring but it works without loading anything.
    Click with the mouse, use navigation keys, F5 is refresh.
    so I flashed cwm and install a custom from and after that, I installed the stock ROM now its boot looping and it won't be fixed with flashing stock ROM again I installed the custom recovery so I can use a custom ROM but when I want to do that is says Can't mount /sdcard
    Probably you can try sideloading that ROM, if CWM supports sideloading (I guess yes).
    About the SD Card, that can't be mounted, it's an error from CWM, so don't expect someone else to fix it, CWM, is deprecated.
    Nope i didn't try to do any of that. It happened for no reason.
    Two possibilities.

1) the hardware is damaged, replace the power switch.

2) your software is corrupted, reflash your firmware if you can get it to boot into the correct flashing mode for your device.

It is more than likely the second one that I Iisted.
    hey peeps , i am currently rooting an htc one m8. the directions i found on the www say to flash a "no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip" .
    the last m8 i rooted (6,7,8 yrs. ago) i dont remember flashing this.
    is it necessary or for my best interest to flash it or no?
    any help appreciated ,
    dave
    It wasn't neccessary until after lollipop, I think. If you don't flash it, it will corrupt your rooting process or root functionality.
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo