Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

zzeGET7

Aug 16, 2022
Hi,
What options there are for: disabling / turning off / bricking / destroying / removing
Fingerprint Sensor (under display)

preferably so the OS and apps don't recognize any input from it or that they don't even detect that it exists.
preferably at software/OS level and not by tearing open the device.

assuming we can't trust the easiest option for disabling it through vanilla android setting (just like it was leaked that disabling location doesn't stop google from still tracking it at all times)

(samsung phones only)

Last edited:

tom353

Jun 25, 2022
D

Did you boot into stock recovery and wipe cache partition after flashing the update?

The update that triggered the bootloop was a "normal" OTA update, no flashing involved. I didn't wipe the cache partition after it.

Then when I tried to sideload a ROM to fix it, ADB returned an error, so I didn't apply any other update after that OTA one.

The stock recovery on this device doesn't have the option to wipe the cache, but I suppose I could try "fastboot erase cache" if that could help? (I'm not sure I can do it though, maybe I'll be again limited by not having an unlocked bootloader or another prerequisite).

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
The update that triggered the bootloop was a "normal" OTA update, no flashing involved. I didn't wipe the cache partition after it.

Then when I tried to sideload a ROM to fix it, ADB returned an error, so I didn't apply any other update after that OTA one.

The stock recovery on this device doesn't have the option to wipe the cache, but I suppose I could try "fastboot erase cache" if that could help? (I'm not sure I can do it though, maybe I'll be again limited by not having an unlocked bootloader or another prerequisite).
It flashes automatically when it reboots after the update. If the update comes with significant changes, wiping cache is sometimes necessary because of conflicts with existing data on the device.

Also, the bootloop could be caused by the internal storage being full from downloading the update.

Reactions: tom353

tom353

Jun 25, 2022
It flashes automatically when it reboots after the update. If the update comes with significant changes, wiping cache is sometimes necessary because of conflicts with existing data on the device.

Also, the bootloop could be caused by the internal storage being full from downloading the update.

I just tried with fastboot, but no luck. I tried with the 2 fastboot I seem to have as they behave differently (one from the main menu, one from recovery).

$ ./fastboot erase cache
Erasing 'cache' FAILED (remote: 'Unknown erase command.')
fastboot: error: Command failed
$
$ ./fastboot erase cache
Erasing 'cache' FAILED (remote: 'Erase is not allowed on locked devices')
$

Is there any I'll try to see if I can use MTKClient to erase the cache...

It's quite possible that the internal storage is full. Is there any way to work around that?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I just tried with fastboot, but no luck. I tried with the 2 fastboot I seem to have as they behave differently (one from the main menu, one from recovery).

$ ./fastboot erase cache
Erasing 'cache' FAILED (remote: 'Unknown erase command.')
$
$ ./fastboot erase cache
Erasing 'cache' FAILED (remote: 'Erase is not allowed on locked devices')
$

Is there any I'll try to see if I can use MTKClient to erase the cache...

It's quite possible that the internal storage is full. Is there any way to work around that?
Can you give me a screenshot of your stock recovery? There has to be a way to wipe cache. It may come down to flashing a stock firmware or even factory reset if that doesn't work.

anri118

Aug 12, 2022
Xprivacy + bluestacks will help to hide i'm using an emulator ?

how are they detecting if a guy is using a emulator or no ?

Shiningbrow

Aug 16, 2022
ROMs are built for the specific model number it is to be installed on. You need a ROM for F52 or you could potentially port a ROM from another Samsung device with the same CPU and hardware components. To flash a custom ROM you'll need TWRP for your specific model number or you can port a TWRP from another Samsung device with the same CPU and hardware. To flash TWRP and custom ROMs, you will have to unlock your bootloader, you can't flash them if the bootloader is locked.
Thanks for the response.

However, first you say I need one for the specific model (I'm not surprised), then you say I could possibly port one from something with the same hardware... that sounds like a recipe for bricking! Especially if there are no recommendations to be given (i.e., someone who's already figured out what device would be compatible).

My search indicates there is no TWRP for the F52 :(

I'm thinknig I might just have to Factory Reset, and then just ADB out the rubbish before starting again :(

lavapoule

Aug 17, 2022
Hello, my phone is having a problem :(

I wanted to root a Android 10 go device (Wiko Y81) and to flash a custom rom except that the device is a A-only device so TWRP wasn't working.
I added the latest img file from TWRP to my platform-tools and ran adb.
After entering "fastboot reboot" in the cmd, my phone turned off and turned on.

Now that's all it's doing :
- turning on with "Orange State Your device has been unlocked and can't be trusted Your device will boot in 5 seconds" and Wiko logo on the screen ;
- turning off - total black screen ;
- when I press and hold for a few seconds (~10s to 20s) volume up/down-power buttons simultaneously, the screen stays black until I try again ;
- when I charge my phone, the charging battery animation shows for a few seconds then black screen then it's looping again with Wiko logo screen an Orange state.

Things I tried to restart my phone :
- pressing and holding volume up and turn on/off buttons simultaneously : nothing happened ;
- pressing and holding volume down ans turn on/off buttons simultaneously : nothing happened ;
- pressing and holding power button : nothing happened ;
- pressing and holding volume down : nothing happened ;
- pressing and holding volume up : noting happened ;
- pressing and holding volume up and down simultaneously : nothing happened ;
- connecting my phone to my computer : the phone is not showing on my computer so no way to run ADB or any sort of programs.

Does anyone have an idea about how to restart it ? It's alright if it factory resets.

thank you :)

tom353

Jun 25, 2022
It is strange that there is no option to wipe cache in recovery.

I'm trying different things, but I don't fully understand what I'm doing, I'm learning as i go...

I downloaded the latest stock ROM and tried to flash certain partitions with MTKClient.

I started with super.img (which contains system, vendor and product for the slot A, and empty partitions for their slot B). After rebooting the device, it now goes straight into fastboot, instead of the bootloop.

Then I flashed the vbmeta_system_a and vbmeta_vendor_a present in the zip file. Same after rebooting, fastboot directly.

The thing is, these 2 vbmeta files are just 4kB, which seems to indicate they're empty partitions (there is a super_enpty.img that has 4.6kB as well). Is this normal that a stock ROM has empty files for these?

I tried to flash boot_a, but MTKClient won't do it, no error message in the GUI, it just does nothing.

Any guidance or insight on this would be appreciated:

- Is there any sense to what I'm doing? Could flashing a ROM help me regain access to my data?
- Am I flashing the right partitions?
- Any idea about these 4kB vbmeta images?

And, if i do a factory reset of the device, then restore userdata and seccfg ... Would that work to restore my data?

Thanks!

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I'm trying different things, but I don't fully understand what I'm doing, I'm learning as i go...

I downloaded the latest stock ROM and tried to flash certain partitions with MTKClient.

I started with super.img (which contains system, vendor and product for the slot A, and empty partitions for their slot B). After rebooting the device, it now goes straight into fastboot, instead of the bootloop.

Then I flashed the vbmeta_system_a and vbmeta_vendor_a present in the zip file. Same after rebooting, fastboot directly.

The thing is, these 2 vbmeta files are just 4kB, which seems to indicate they're empty partitions (there is a super_enpty.img that has 4.6kB as well). Is this normal that a stock ROM has empty files for these?

I tried to flash boot_a, but MTKClient won't do it, no error message in the GUI, it just does nothing.

Any guidance or insight on this would be appreciated:

- Is there any sense to what I'm doing? Could flashing a ROM help me regain access to my data?
- Am I flashing the right partitions?
- Any idea about these 4kB vbmeta images?

And, if i do a factory reset of the device, then restore userdata and seccfg ... Would that work to restore my data?

Thanks!
You can backup user data but you might not be able to backup system data. If adb is working for you, try doing a "adb backup" of your apps, app data and personal data, the adb backup command has different switches to include in the command to specify what to backup or what not to backup. Guides for adb backup can be found with a Google search.

I think @SubwayChamp can help you better with this than I can.

tom353

Jun 25, 2022
You can backup user data but you might not be able to backup system data. If adb is working for you, try doing a "adb backup" of your apps, app data and personal data, the adb backup command has different switches to include in the command to specify what to backup or what not to backup. Guides for adb backup can be found with a Google search.

I think @SubwayChamp can help you better with this than I can.
I think that for ADB to work, I would need to be able to boot my device?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Indeed, ADB itself is available in recovey, but the adb backup command requires a confirmation on the device which won't work in recovery.
I didn't follow your issue from the beginning, if I'm not wrong you need to back up your data, and actually your device is not booting due to a failed OTA update.

ADB won't work for you the way you need, a stock recovery doesn't have a protocol for ADB to work this way, it's just a one way-route.

If this is the case, the most you can try is:
- Wiping your cache through mtk client, then try to boot.
- Back up your data using mtk client, it'll take a huge space, maybe 100 GB.
- Then erase data using mtk client, and try to boot, once you get it, you can restore the data using again mtk client.
- Once you have the data backed up, you can try flashing the stock ROM using LMSA (if it's a Moto), https://support.lenovo.com/us/es/downloads/ds101291-rescue-and-smart-assistant-lmsa
- Then you can try restoring the data backed up.
- Also, you can flash any partition using mtk client.
- If your model allowed being unlockable, then you can consider by unlocking it, a locked device doesn't admit some modifications, so maybe your device doesn't allow restoring some partitions this way.
- mtk client also can unlock bootloader of many MTK models, no need of confirmation, just avoid erasing metadata, or back up firstly.

tom353

Jun 25, 2022
I didn't follow your issue from the beginning, if I'm not wrong you need to back up your data, and actually your device is not booting due to a failed OTA update.

ADB won't work for you the way you need, a stock recovery doesn't have a protocol for ADB to work this way, it's just a one way-route.

If this is the case, the most you can try is:
- Wiping your cache through mtk client, then try to boot.
- Back up your data using mtk client, it'll take a huge space, maybe 100 GB.
- Then erase data using mtk client, and try to boot, once you get it, you can restore the data using again mtk client.
- Once you have the data backed up, you can try flashing the stock ROM using LMSA (if it's a Moto), https://support.lenovo.com/us/es/downloads/ds101291-rescue-and-smart-assistant-lmsa
- Then you can try restoring the data backed up.
- Also, you can flash any partition using mtk client.
- If your model allowed being unlockable, then you can consider by unlocking it, a locked device doesn't admit some modifications, so maybe your device doesn't allow restoring some partitions this way.
- mtk client also can unlock bootloader of many MTK models, no need of confirmation, just avoid erasing metadata, or back up firstly.

Thanks for that!

The short story is indeed a failed OTA update that's causing a bootloop. I have no backups, so I'm trying to avoid losing my data in trying to get my device to work again.

What I've done so far:
- Tried to sideload a stock ROM with ADB, but it fails, I suppose because an unlocked bootloader is required.
- Switched slots (it's an A/B device) - This results in the same bootloop, and the device reverts to slot A at some point in the loop.
- I couldn't clear the cache. There is no option for that in my stock recovery, and I tried "python mtk e cache" but that doesn't work (it says something like "cache" partition doesn't exist).
- I also couldn't unlock the bootloader with mtk client. It says it's done successfully, but fastboot and mtk client itself still report the device as locked after that.
- Backed up partitions with mtk client
- Flashed partitions from the latest stock rom with mtkclient - all the ones identified as "is_download: true" in the scatter file, except userdata. This includes vbmeta_a, vbmeta_system_a and vbmeta_vendor_a which seem to be empty (the images are 4 kB only, as are the images meant to be empty in the rom)

Results :

With my original (presumably corrupted) partitions, the device get into a boot loop, but goes as far as the boot animation, and stays on it for a while, then loops.

With the stock rom partitions, it goes straight from the boot logo into fastboot, there is no boot animation.

With my original "super" partition (contains system, vendor and product), and the stock rom empty vbmeta's, the device goes straight from the boot logo to the dm-verity message.

What confuses me is that with the stock rom, it seems to fail faster than with my original corrupted partitions. There must be something wrong with flashing the stock ROM, and I suspect the empty vbmeta's. All the stock rom versions i could find for this device has empty vbmeta's. But I don't understand how these roms can work.

I will have a look at LMSA, if I can get it to work in virtualbox (I'm on MacOSX and the device is a Moto E7 XT2095-2 Malta).

Last edited:

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Indeed, ADB itself is available in recovey, but the adb backup command requires a confirmation on the device which won't work in recovery.
...snip...
...snip...
I dont know your phone, and I am guessing you have not unlocked your bootloader, but one thing I have done to get full / better ADB support in recovery, is to boot using a TWRP image file, without flashing it to the device. I would guess it also only works with an unlocked bootloader, even though you are not flashing to the device. fastboot boot twrp.img

But, pretty much, @SubwayChamp knows your device MUCH more than I do, so follow his suggestions. My suggestion is a long shot at best.

Last edited:

Pixc

Aug 20, 2022
Hello everyone, please help me😅

I am trying to install twrp and magisk in Xiaomi POCO F1 but getting problems in the last step.

Following YOUTUBE Munchy's video, after booting into twrp mode for the 1st time, I have to flash
twrp beryllium.img file but it's not showing. I confirmed it that I have the file, both in internal storage and in SD card but it's not showing in the twrp mode.

I can see other files like Froce encryption disabler and Magisk.zip file but not twrp beryllium.img in twrp mode.

Because of this, I can't open twrp mode again and have to install it again through pc.

Please help and thank you very much for the help in advance 😊

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hello everyone, please help me😅

I am trying to install twrp and magisk in Xiaomi POCO F1 but getting problems in the last step.

Following YOUTUBE Munchy's video, after booting into twrp mode for the 1st time, I have to flash
twrp beryllium.img file but it's not showing. I confirmed it that I have the file, both in internal storage and in SD card but it's not showing in the twrp mode.

I can see other files like Froce encryption disabler and Magisk.zip file but not twrp beryllium.img in twrp mode.

Because of this, I can't open twrp mode again and have to install it again through pc.

Please help and thank you very much for the help in advance 😊
I would assume that, you booted to TWRP, for the first time, using fastboot command, in TWRP you want to flash the TWRP image, and you didn't see it listed within your files ready to flash, so probably you missed this:
twrp_1.jpg
twrp_2.jpg
The images are just a reference from the net.

• Love
Reactions: Pixc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi i may haved bricked my phone and was hoping someone could help me fix it. i have a alcatel 3x 5058a and i flashed a pixel 6 system image and a recovery that is incompatable with my device. i am pretty sure i can fix it if i can access bootloader, but i have no way if doing that. so i was hoping that there is a program for windows that can force boot it in to bootloader because it still tryes to boot the device when i press the power button, or maybe there is a button combo the boot directly to bootloader from power off state or something. ;please i just need any help i could get om this, and if a program doesn't exist, maybe someone can create one. i would prefer a responce as fast as possible, but i would atleased like to it's being worked on.
    Firstly, you never have to flash images that weren`t created for your specific model, this only produces (most likely) this same result. Just guessing, you probably confused for the 2019 model, the yours is 2018.

The device not booting to bootloader mode, it`s either, due to the lack of the drivers properly installed or with the flashing of wrong images, the bootloader is now unbootable, so, try the first thing, to can see what next.

In case this first step doesn`t work, you`ll need to repair the bootloader partition, for this you need to find and download the exact firmware for your device.
    Hello, for the next, you should precede the nicknames with a @, so they properly can mention on them.

The GSIs are not than specific like that, you should pick up one that suits for a MediaTek device, and if your firmware supports it, then you just go on.
    @SubwayChamp and @Droidriven thank you for taking the time to reply to me and helping out us noobs
    Hello, i want to know what application allows a phone to control a other phone with some very important requirements.
    1- Because the phone I need the remote for has an almost broken screen. I need the app to be able to connect any time I need it, which means it needs to stay in the background, as well as its own id/ip.
    2- And, when remoted from another phone, the connection is automatically accepted, which means I won't have to do anything further for future connections (of course I can set up for the first time for it).
    Thanks for read.
    strongly suggest replacing that screen. while such apps do exist, you would need to set them up on your phone with the broken screen. as for the apps, you could try Vysor or Team Viewer
    Hello, i want to know what application allows a phone to control a other phone with some very important requirements.
    I suggest USB solutions. I don't want to get mixed up with anything remote control as it sounds like dual-purpose spyware.

Do you have ADB enabled? If so, you can use my adbgrab.exe (in the sig).
    It's painfully slow compared to other ways of screen mirroring but it works without loading anything.
    Click with the mouse, use navigation keys, F5 is refresh.
    would anyone know of a fix for the message in apn settings , "these settings not available for this user"?
    searched the www and tried the methods i could find there without any luck.
    any answer , suggestion or direction to look would be most appreciated.
    thank you ,
    dave
    This option is not available for you, probably because the device came from other region, yet the feature is available, but you can't access to it. Install an app like this or similar, search for APN, and you will get it (luckily)
    I found that, this app opens directly the section.
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo