Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

jabi_james

Sep 12, 2011
TehRan
If you can install some apps from external sources, you can install something like QuickShortcutMaker, you can start the developer options menu from it or even find other useful hidden actions from the menu user (if available from the build itself), or also there are some apps like Developer Options to can access directly to the menu.
thanks , tried those apps and hidden system settings app, there's no shortcut for developer options, so my limited modified android has not developer options built in

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
thanks , tried those apps and hidden system settings app, there's no shortcut for developer options, so my limited modified android has not developer options built in
Have you explicitly checked if the activity is missing?

One of the techniques I have used to access activities within an APK that are not accessible via the menu (I originally used this technique to skip the start screen, and go directly to the page I wanted). For example, the following opens up the System UI Tuner, which there is no menu item for on my device.
Code:
am start com.android.systemui/com.android.systemui.DemoMode;
You have to know in which APK/component the activity resides, as well as the activity name. Which, as you can see above for the System UI Tuner, may not be obvious.

Reactions: jabi_james

jabi_james

Sep 12, 2011
TehRan
Have you explicitly checked if the activity is missing?

One of the techniques I have used to access activities within an APK that are not accessible via the menu (I originally used this technique to skip the start screen, and go directly to the page I wanted). For example, the following opens up the System UI Tuner, which there is no menu item for on my device.
Code:
am start com.android.systemui/com.android.systemui.DemoMode;
You have to know in which APK/component the activity resides, as well as the activity name. Which, as you can see above for the System UI Tuner, may not be obvious.
I checked, how? There was a shortcut on hidden setting app which someone suggested to install to access hidden menu on my TV OS, by the name “developer options” and when I pressed it, apparently there was nothing on that address which was defined for normal android OS.
So there is no such a thing as developer options or USB debugging for me, and if there is, its location is different from android phone OS and
that trick you mentioned above is awesome,, but i don't know in which APK/component the activity resides, or the activity name,, so how can i find it ?

by the way there is an option on my TV's service menu called UART Debug menu,, but there is no ADB,, those are the same?

IMG_20221009_003002.jpg

faketask

Oct 10, 2022
You can recover your device by flashing the stock ROM through LMSA, but if you have your backup in the internal storage, then it will have gone, who leaves an important thing in a place where is not safe? I'm assuming you have it in an external storage, so if something bad happens you can recover it.
Flashing the backup made my device get bricked. But anyways thanks.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I checked, how? There was a shortcut on hidden setting app which someone suggested to install to access hidden menu on my TV OS, by the name “developer options” and when I pressed it, apparently there was nothing on that address which was defined for normal android OS.
So there is no such a thing as developer options or USB debugging for me, and if there is, its location is different from android phone OS and
that trick you mentioned above is awesome,, but i don't know in which APK/component the activity resides, or the activity name,, so how can i find it ?

by the way there is an option on my TV's service menu called UART Debug menu,, but there is no ADB,, those are the same?
...snip...
Sorry, forgotten. Is it rooted? Can you install APKs? either from PlayStore or otherwise.

lm8lm8

Nov 10, 2020
hi
I have a little htc pyramid whom runs lineageos
unfortunately Id like to use camera recorder without sdcard, but the device says "insert an sd card before using the camera"
I have few GB of free space disk without sd card ; how to handle it without sdcard?

thank you !

faketask

Oct 10, 2022
You can recover your device by flashing the stock ROM through LMSA, but if you have your backup in the internal storage, then it will have gone, who leaves an important thing in a place where is not safe? I'm assuming you have it in an external storage, so if something bad happens you can recover it.
After flashing stock ROM can I turn off the bootloader, I will not use any custom recovery or root so I don't need bootloader and if bootloader is unlocked it takes 5 seconds because of orange state before booting .
Thanks.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
There is an option on my TV's service menu called UART Debug menu,, but there is no ADB,, those are the same?
Nope. The UART is going to be on some connector, probably inside the unit, probably a 4 pin connector.
There may not be an actual connector, just the circuit board with a place for the connector.
Take some good photos of the inside and I'm sure it will be easy to spot.
If you have that you probably will have a rooted console.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
After flashing stock ROM can I turn off the bootloader, I will not use any custom recovery or root so I don't need bootloader and if bootloader is unlocked it takes 5 seconds because of orange state before booting .
Thanks.
Not sure what does "After flashing stock ROM can I turn off the bootloader," mean, it´s a sentence or a question?.

All devices need and have a bootloader, so they can load properly all the images from Android instances, so you shouldn´t (nor can´t) get rid of it.

To fix your device, I suggested to flash the stock ROM, in my previous post is stated that if your backup is in your internal memory, you´ll lose it. The orange warning is nothing more than a not aesthetic cosmetical fact, but if also, you can´t actually boot, is probably, because your bootloader remains locked, and you did try to make some modifications.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
Thanks.

Thanks.
not to jump in @SubwayChamp postings but you can relock your bootloader.
if you "turn off" your bootloader your phone wont boot.
anyone please jump in if i'm incorrect or if have additional information.
peace
dang!! ninja'd. lol

Reactions: SubwayChamp

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
not to jump in @SubwayChamp postings but you can relock your bootloader.
if you "turn off" your bootloader your phone wont boot.
anyone please jump in if i'm incorrect or if have additional information.
peace
dang!! ninja'd. lol
Good, but they can't just switch to ON/OFF, like a switch.
Unlock and relock bootloader is different than simply turn it on or off, this last sounds like suppressing its operation or functionality, dam..lol.

jabi_james

Sep 12, 2011
TehRan
Nope. The UART is going to be on some connector, probably inside the unit, probably a 4 pin connector.
There may not be an actual connector, just the circuit board with a place for the connector.
Take some good photos of the inside and I'm sure it will be easy to spot.
If you have that you probably will have a rooted console.
ok.got it, uart is useless ,my tv is not rooted,

Attachments

• IMG_20211127_230910-scaled.jpg
    IMG_20211127_230910-scaled.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 6

heybaybee

Oct 9, 2022
I would not be so quick to flash a data partition from another version of android in bulk. That is basically a forced dirty flash, which the devs have chosen to disallow. One of he failure points is if a system app/component of the new ROM expects different data structure, it may crash when it finds the old data. The data partition includes data for possibly updated system apps. And this crash may occur much later than the first boot, or even just do so quietly.

A safer approach is to use your favourite backup program to only backup 3rd party apps . And then to save off your current config: most pf which is stored in your "settings". Because I use to build from source and flashing a lot of ROMs, I have automated this second part with my App TeMeFI. It generates a looooong script which should be applied with some thought/review; ie not blindly, like flashing the whole data partition. You can find the method at Current State >settings>Generate Set All
Thank you sir.

The stock androids seem to have this data migration seamlessly happening in the background during the OTA updates.

What's the reason no one has tried to automate this process on let's say LineageOS or other custom ROMs?

faketask

Oct 10, 2022
Good, but they can't just switch to ON/OFF, like a switch.
Unlock and relock bootloader is different than simply turn it on or off, this last sounds like suppressing its operation or functionality, dam..lol.
I messed up pretty big right now... I used the command fastboot flashing lock and locked the bootloader And now my tab won't boot not even in fastboot. It just shows the indicater light when I press power and then the light turns off , it doesn't even show the animation for charging just the indicater light. I don't have my laptop right now but can I flash stock rom still with LMSA ?
thanks

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
ok.got it, uart is useless ,my tv is not rooted,
Thanks for the photo. That's weird. There's no separate connector, but you can see HDMI 2 says (UART).

It's just possible that they are using pins #15 & #16 (I²C) as serial data. #17 is ground.
The first thing to check is whether when that "Uart enable" is selected whether you can use HDMI 2 as a normal video input.
Was that option on already?

If you have an oscilloscope you could check if there is data coming down one of those pins on booting.
Yes, in HDMI there would be normal I²C polling so you'd have 100 kb/s data vs (probably) 115.2 kb/s for UART.

If there is a console there it would probably be rooted, irrespective of whether the whole unit is "rooted".

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Thank you sir.

The stock androids seem to have this data migration seamlessly happening in the background during the OTA updates.

What's the reason no one has tried to automate this process on let's say LineageOS or other custom ROMs?
Some custom ROMs do have the option for OTA updates, it is just a matter of whether or not the developer chooses to include it in their ROM. Most developers do not include it because it is a lot of extra work, it can also cause an issue with updating because sometimes the system partition has to be wiped before applying a custom ROM update in order for the updated ROM to work correctly, OTA updates do not wipe the system partition. Downloading the updated ROM and manually flashing it is the better option if you want to avoid bugs and potentially softbricking your device when applying significantly upgraded ROM updates.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello again! I have a problem, i have the original firmware and the tool to flash it in casee anything goes wrong (MTK Client), so i unlocked the bootloader, the problem is that when you unlock the bootloader, the baseband says (020null) and imei is unknown. I tried to restore my own nvcfg, nvram and nvdata to no luck, when I lock the bootloader, they appear again without flashing anything. So there must be something in the system that checks if you have the bootloader locked or not... I want to know how to disable it because I want to have root (I have rooted it with no issues, but i want my imei you know), i thought init.rc may have something to do with it, here is it (https://gist.github.com/ThePinkLyna/a43e65572896a57af2624610f74d00f2).

By the way my phone is an Alcatel 5007G, MTK 6762. Any ideas in where could be the block? The bootloader? An script in the system? There must be a way, right?
    The first you need to know, if the OEM allows bootloader to be unlocking, not only, if the device has a bootloader unlockable, many MediaTek devices are unlockable, through this tool, but what happen after that is not guarantee, because of the mentioned firstly.

If the OEM doesn´t want bootloader to be unlockable, then the bootloader condition make the IMEIs, not to be there, in the time, bootloader is gone. I attended 2 exact same cases with Alcatel devices, and the same happened with both, no solution, anyway, although the said, as you have mtk-client, to make backups, you can try by unlocking, and then restoring one partition, and rebooting to see if the IMEIs are gone or not, and then trying with the next partition, and so on. Only the partitions involved, usually, nvcfg, nvdata, nvram, md1img.
    Nvm. i fully bricked it lol.
    dm-verity corruption is normal on some MediaTek (also Qualcomm) devices, nothing that can´t be fixed by flashing the original vbmeta image, and re-lock the bootloader. What is fully bricked, and what you have now, which device, and what did you try to do?
    Hi,
    I've got a Samsung Galaxy A10 SM-A105F and I tried installing all kinds of different roms on it and they install just fine but then when i go to boot to system I end up in this hell hole of perpetual booting and restarting. I've been at it for 6h now and I'm exhausted. Please help. I've got photos of the install and video of the problem.
    First thing you need to do is formatting data.
    And if only this, doesn't solve it, then search for a blank vbmeta, to be converted to a tar file, then flashed through Odin, and/or DM-verity zip to be flashed through TWRP.
    Hey sorry to bother but I already looked around and couldn't find what I needed. I was wondering if there was a "universal" rom or if I could commission someone to possibly make a rom? I have a nabi 2 and there are rooting tools but no roms to update it past Android 4.4.2. I know I can buy a new device but it's important that I keep this one. I'm willing to mail the one I have (in u.s) or possibly buy someone one one off ebay. Any help would be appreciated.
    The closest thing to "universal" ROM is a GSI(generic system image) but these are only available for devices that are supported by Project Treble, which, I'm certain that yours is not.

I doubt you'll find anyone to build a ROM "for you", developers(the people that build ROMs) typically only build ROMs for devices that they personally own or use because building ROMs requires a lot of time and testing, they aren't willing to put that kind of time into developing for a device that they do not own or use.

You will have to step up and learn to build the ROM for yourself but only if the stock source code for your device has been released to the public, if it hasn't been released, you will not be able to build a ROM unless you start completely from scratch and develop a custom source code for your device and then build your ROM from that source code.

Or, you could port an existing ROM from a device that has the same CPU/hardware architecture as your device.
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo