Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

DuskGolem

May 29, 2015
Good, and what finally you did?
And, if you don't care, Which method are you using to unpack/repack? I themed some versions lower than 3, in the past, but Carliv, for example, gives a huge size difference when repacked. Or you simple are putting, wither manually or flashing, the ui zip into the TWRP theme?
Nothing special, I just used circle shape overlay, painted it white (border and fill), adjusted the opacity in the blending options (took some trial and error) and that did it.

As for the size, I assume you are asking about image size instead of file size. Well, I used photoshop, icons from google's material font library (search google), adjusted manually the canvas and the icon size by comparing with existing twrp icons, packed everything into ui.zip using 7zip (any archiver will work, just use compression method store or deflate) and it worked fine. Now time to port the theme for twrp theme version 5.

P.S. For unpacking/ repacking Twrp img, I use osm0sis' awesome tool "Android Image Kitchen" available on xda. It works absolutely fine.

Reactions: SubwayChamp

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Hello there, jp5 4.2.2 jellybean stuck in bootloop. I have two of them. I enter the tablet thru power off adb via USB thru terminal emulator.
I gain access to shell On both tablets. one tablet have su access the other do not. I need a shell command for root and to get tablets out of boot loop. I also have a phone so that I can download whatever I need. I believe with your instructions I can have two functional tablets. I'm really excited about your answer that comes back. I'm on standby waiting for your answer. Thanks
I wouldn't waste the time or effort. Even if you manage to get them working, they won't be worth using. 4.2.2 is not compatible with most of today's apps, most newer apps will cause the devices to be very slow or even cause crashes or random reboot.

angelmandiaz23

Nov 29, 2022
quisiera que me ayudaran con mi motorola g51 5g, tiene una cuenta de pay joy y no se como quitarla y ademas tiene contraseña de desbloqueo

Mod translation: I would like you to help me with my motorola g51 5g, it has a pay joy account and I don't know how to remove it and it also has an unlock password

Last edited by a moderator:

kiel.basa

May 16, 2012
hi,

I recently changed my phone to Motorola g42 and there's one thing that irritates me a lot.

In the past, each time I was working on the computer and read whatsapp or messenger notifications/messages that had come to these opened apps on my PC, the LED on my phone stopped blinking meaning that the notification has been read previously - Android 8 on that phone somehow knew that I already read the message on another device and cleared the notification.
This is is not happening on my new phone. Notifications are still there on the apps' badges and every time I read them on the computer, I have to read 'em on the phone too to clear the number of notifications.

Any clue what may cause it and how to solve this issue?

thanks

TristenNator

Nov 27, 2022
Soft Bricked Need Help:

Phone: Moto G Stylus

So I recently flashed Magisk and after I rebooted my touchscreen was completely unresponsive it also shows up as 0% battery. Its not frozen or anything. Volume slider showed up on screen, time was changing and I could also hold power to pop up the emergency button. I factory reset it and it let me factory reset but its still unresponsive so its stuck at the welcome screen. The touch screen does work In TWRP and I'm able to flash from my PC still to potentially fix it somehow.

asavel

Nov 30, 2022
Hi! I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active (SM-G870A) that I need to install the Ukrainian OS language. This is to be able to navigate the settings in Ukrainian and have Ukrainian app names (such as Phone/Calendar/Contacts/etc.). There is no option to "Add Language" under "Settings" -> "General" -> "Language and input" -> "Language".

Does an Ukrainian language APK exist that I can download?

This is running Android version 5.1.1 with Kernel 3.4.0-6027846

markusbug

Dec 16, 2021
Vienna
Hi!
I have a simple app that makes an https request to a hostname when I click a button. The code works fine if I just load it up on my phone with adb/Android Studio. But when I add it to AOSP as a system-app, it stops working. I traced the error back to it not being able to resolve the domain into an IP. This is the error message:
Code:
11-29 13:30:28.651   978  4501 D resolv  : GetAddrInfoHandler::run: {100 100 100 983140 10175 0}
11-29 13:30:28.651   978  4501 D resolv  : resolv_getaddrinfo: explore_fqdn(): ai_family=0 ai_socktype=1 ai_protocol=6
11-29 13:30:28.653   978  4502 D resolv  : doQuery: (1, 1)
11-29 13:30:28.653   978  4502 D resolv  : res_nmkquery: (QUERY, IN, A)
11-29 13:30:28.653   978  4502 D resolv  : res_nsend
11-29 13:30:28.653   978  4502 I resolv  : resolv_cache_lookup: lookup
11-29 13:30:28.653   978  4502 I resolv  : resolv_cache_lookup: NOT IN CACHE
11-29 13:30:28.653   978  4502 I resolv  : resolv_populate_res_for_net: netid=100
11-29 13:30:28.653   978  4502 I resolv  : res_stats_usable_server: NS stats: S 5 + E 0 + T 0 + I 0 = 5, rtt = 18, min_samples = 8
11-29 13:30:28.653   978  4502 D resolv  : res_nsend: Querying server (# 1) address = 10.0.0.138:53
11-29 13:30:28.654   978  4502 D resolv  : send_dg: new DG socket
11-29 13:30:28.655   978  4502 D resolv  : send_dg: send: : Operation not permitted
11-29 13:30:28.655   978  4502 I resolv  : res_nsend: used send_dg 0 terrno: 1
Might have to do something with system permissions or resolv, I have never encountered this error before. Anybody know how I can fix this?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi! I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active (SM-G870A) that I need to install the Ukrainian OS language. This is to be able to navigate the settings in Ukrainian and have Ukrainian app names (such as Phone/Calendar/Contacts/etc.). There is no option to "Add Language" under "Settings" -> "General" -> "Language and input" -> "Language".

Does an Ukrainian language APK exist that I can download?

This is running Android version 5.1.1 with Kernel 3.4.0-6027846
Try an app like this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.c_lis.ccl.morelocale&hl=es_PY&gl=US, if the firmware contains other language than the current, then you should be able to.

Or, search for a firmware for your region, check the CSC compatibility, and, after to meet all the measurements (USB debugging, OEM unlock, bootloader revision, etc.) flash it through Odin.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Soft Bricked Need Help:

Phone: Moto G Stylus

So I recently flashed Magisk and after I rebooted my touchscreen was completely unresponsive it also shows up as 0% battery. Its not frozen or anything. Volume slider showed up on screen, time was changing and I could also hold power to pop up the emergency button. I factory reset it and it let me factory reset but its still unresponsive so its stuck at the welcome screen. The touch screen does work In TWRP and I'm able to flash from my PC still to potentially fix it somehow.
You can flash a ROM via TWRP or you can get a copy of a TWRP nandroid backup from someone else in this forum that has the exact same device model number as you have then restore that nandroid backup via TWRP.

Tip of the day:

Anytime you have a device that you install TWRP on, always, always, ALWAYS create a nandroid backup of your device via TWRP just as soon as you get TWRP installed and then store that backup in a safe location other than on the device itself where it will not get lost or wiped. Then, anytime you want to make a modification to your device or remove anything, always create a new backup before you make your modifications or before you remove/delete significant data. Then, if you run into problems, you can restore the backup then try again

Last edited:

Sora4449

Nov 21, 2022
(Regarding huawei google ban)
So I'm a total noob here. My last phone was mate 20 pro which died a week ago sadly
I've been looking at new phones and have nova 9 caught my eye. I'm new to phones without Google services. I see people on YouTube having ways to get by but I couldn't find an answer on what to expect and how to deal with it. I mostly use my phone for crypto exchange so I need binance app and other exchanges apps and some wallets like metamask and trust
So I'm not sure if I even should be considering such phone

TristenNator

Nov 27, 2022
You can flash a ROM via TWRP or you can get a copy of a TWRP nandroid backup from someone else in this forum that has the exact same device model number as you have then restore that nandroid backup via TWRP.

Tip of the day:

Anytime you have a device that you install TWRP on, always, always, ALWAYS create a nandroid backup of your device via TWRP just as soon as you get TWRP installed and then store that backup in a safe location other than on the device itself where it will not get lost or wiped. Then, anytime you want to make a modification to your device or remove anything, always create a new backup before you make your modifications or before you remove/delete significant data. Then, if you run into problems, you can restore the backup then try again
I fixed it by downloading the rescue and smart assistant tool. Thanks for the help have a great day!

Last edited:

cakra13

Nov 23, 2021
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time

NO TROLLING

NO NAME CALLING

NO RIDICULING

NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
Hi,I'm New In Here (Not Too New) Is There A Someone That Has TWRP And Custom Rom For Evercoss R40A? Because Someone Ask That But Can't Reply In Here

cakra13

Nov 23, 2021
(Regarding huawei google ban)
So I'm a total noob here. My last phone was mate 20 pro which died a week ago sadly
I've been looking at new phones and have nova 9 caught my eye. I'm new to phones without Google services. I see people on YouTube having ways to get by but I couldn't find an answer on what to expect and how to deal with it. I mostly use my phone for crypto exchange so I need binance app and other exchanges apps and some wallets like metamask and trust
So I'm not sure if I even should be considering such phone
Maybe Install Its APK Files? Maybe You Can Try It But I'm Not Sure

Sora4449

Nov 21, 2022
Maybe Install Its APK Files? Maybe You Can Try It But I'm Not Sure
I'm not sure about that
Tried searching YouTube and it seems like I need other apps to be able to I install Google services apps
And yet some people couldn't get WhatsApp to run
It seems other apps are affected with this ban too

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
uhhmm , i have ; to me at least , a unique problem.
i have an htc one m9. s-off , superCID , bootloader unlocked. i can get to download mode and to fastboot mode. problems ; in fastboot mode ( i.e. bootloader) my first option is to "reboot" instead of "hboot" which is normally there. choosing hboot would put me into fastboot mode.
phone is not recognized by p.c.
have tried to run a RUU without luck and the "0p6bimg.zip" sdcard method without luck.
also i have no recovery or at least it wont go to it. just get message that its unavailable and select up/down key to go back to bootloader.
any ideas on a fix to get fastboot mode back?
i cannot , srry ; remember what i did to get in this predicament. :(

SHSuperEddie

Nov 11, 2022
I don't know if I've asked this already but,
is it possible for download mode on android to be "broken?"
How do I figure out if the reason my PC's device manager is giving me a Code 10 error when my phone is plugged in in download mode is because of a driver issue on PC, or if it's due to download mode being "broken"?
It doesn't LOOK broken, it boots into download mode smoothly, doesn't seem glitchy- is it even possible for download mode to be glitchy? I'm just not sure what to do from here because I'm so confused about whether or not it's "possible" for a phone's download/odin mode to be "broken... Can anyone tell me anything about this?

suteha13

Dec 3, 2022
Howdy all, looking for some help or advice with phone models/roms because I'm sick of dealing with the absolute dogwater that is iOS and apple. I've been meaning to look into some options for an open source OS without a lot of the bloatware that is apparently on mainstream android OS's. I'm absolutely not an expert I've literally just poked around on google but a popular decent looking one seems to be LineageOS, I'm just wondering what a decent phone to run it on would be, or perhaps if there's an OS that's better for what I'm looking for, idk. I'm just sick of the gross display of manufactured obsolescence in smartphones, I just want a phone with simple but decent specs that will last a long time with a clean and utilitarian OS. preferably would like a headphone jack, decent/good battery life and good storage. everything else I'm willing to comrpomise and go a little lower end on. any suggestions or advice is very very very much appreciated as I really have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just atrociously sick of capitalism basically. thanks in advance (also if it's relevant, I'm from NZ so pretty much anything would have to be shipped over and the price would probably be pretty inflated).
:cowboy:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I don't know if I've asked this already but,
is it possible for download mode on android to be "broken?"
How do I figure out if the reason my PC's device manager is giving me a Code 10 error when my phone is plugged in in download mode is because of a driver issue on PC, or if it's due to download mode being "broken"?
It doesn't LOOK broken, it boots into download mode smoothly, doesn't seem glitchy- is it even possible for download mode to be glitchy? I'm just not sure what to do from here because I'm so confused about whether or not it's "possible" for a phone's download/odin mode to be "broken... Can anyone tell me anything about this?
If the device properly displays download mode, it isn't broken.

It is either a driver issue, an issue with your USB cable/port(either device/PC) or you need to try a different PC.

Code 10 solutions:

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Howdy all, looking for some help or advice with phone models/roms because I'm sick of dealing with the absolute dogwater that is iOS and apple. I've been meaning to look into some options for an open source OS without a lot of the bloatware that is apparently on mainstream android OS's. I'm absolutely not an expert I've literally just poked around on google but a popular decent looking one seems to be LineageOS, I'm just wondering what a decent phone to run it on would be, or perhaps if there's an OS that's better for what I'm looking for, idk. I'm just sick of the gross display of manufactured obsolescence in smartphones, I just want a phone with simple but decent specs that will last a long time with a clean and utilitarian OS. preferably would like a headphone jack, decent/good battery life and good storage. everything else I'm willing to comrpomise and go a little lower end on. any suggestions or advice is very very very much appreciated as I really have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just atrociously sick of capitalism basically. thanks in advance (also if it's relevant, I'm from NZ so pretty much anything would have to be shipped over and the price would probably be pretty inflated).
:cowboy:
Just to broaden you responses, if no one steps in. you may wish to ask of the following thread

First steps I do (not that Its the best method) when buying a new device, is to check if the bootloader can be unlocked, check if there is an official build of the ROM I want, and then go on GSM Areana to check the physical size and features (such as Headphone socket and Size).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure if this is a total noob q or not, but I've been searching for far too long and haven't found a definitive answer...

When attempting to install a custom recovery on an older device, is a current version of TWRP/CWM ok, or better to try and find an older, more "period correct" version?
    Custom recoveries are built while the device´s time-living, not before, they´re specific for every model, although sometimes you could find, again, crosses/shared development under specific criteria, grouped due to same processor, (sometimes) kernel, i.e. S9 and S9+, Realme devices with MT6785 or RMX6785, etc.
    bro can anyone help me to solve null imei problem
    oppo a1k
    rooted
    unlocked bootloader
    imei files located in
    system/vendor/nvdata/md/nvram/nvd_imei
    three files here
    NV01A000
    NV01B000
    NVOS_000
    HOW can i put imei in these files
    I can't tell you for sure, so I don't have this device, but you may have some hopes due to your device was shipped with A9, and not newer, in case you updated, you may need to downgrade it, If you want to give it a try, make a backup and try with this tool https://www.xda-developers.com/flas...em-image-on-a-project-treble-supported-device, to have this device running, you should need to send your device to meta mode, and have a working baseband.
    Thanks bro u response me
    Trebble and gsi roms easily flashed with twrp and I haven't twrp
    I will give u image can u port it
    Custom twrp
    I watched videos used kechen tool to repack and unpack
    Installed then mob boot and go to black my laptop shows power port and adb shows
    Device recovery
    But recovery doesn't start
    I used hovatek tool but also didn't work
    I think I repair imei if I flashed or shipped my device to another version
    Can u port it if u need files I will give u from my device system
    I am using dtpro tool in from mod
    In imei repair detect
    Opt 000
    Imei block doesn't exist
    Mtk devices easy go-to metamod
    Via cmd
    Like adb reboot meta
    Then device go-to meta
    This was surprised me if I shipped my device
    Apart that the mention to reboot to meta, (they can boot to it, either through CMD or through terminal doing reboot meta) mostly, all you had put in your answer, have nothing to do with the main goal on your previous question.
    For what should you need a GSI? Even a custom recovery is not needed.
    Please, re-read what I wrote.
    Can u more explain bro
    U mean my device porting to oppo a9
    But how?
    Give me some tips please
    What should I do
    There's no problem if system was demaged ihave full stock rom to flash it
    Please some more explain above link is about installing gsi roms trebble project
    I mean with A9, to Android 9, not to a model device.

Go posts above, and check what you asked before, and what I wrote for you. If it yet is not clear for you, you asked nothing about porting, nor GSI stuff, so I respond to you nothing but related to what you asked.

And if you are, apart that what you asked, interested to use a GSI, the link posted also serves for you, read it thoroughly and mindfully.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy A20s (SM-A207M), and I've been trying to install Magisk on it, however when trying to use fastboot the device simply doesn't show up. However with my main phone A22 5G (SM-A226B), when I use adb reboot bootloader it goes in fastboot mode and its recognized by `fastboot devices`, is there any way I can find a way to use fastboot on my A20s?

(And for a bit of context, My A22 has a locked bootloader while my A20s doesn't)
    Because Samsung is not compatible with fastboot, some Samsung devices do have a "fastboot mode" but the fastboot mode that they have is not a functional fastboot mode.

You should be using Magisk to patch the boot.img from your stock firmware and then you should be using Odin to flash the patched boot.img in the AP slot in Odin.

NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

HALL OF FAME

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

HTML:
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo