Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

lm8lm8

Nov 10, 2020
hi guys
I have a nexus 10.
it's running old andro5, with a very slow reactivity regarding few years ago
Id like to know :
a/ is it easy to convert the system to lineage, like for huawei/samsung devices?
b/ is there a LOS release for that device, whom is compatible with cameras bluetooth and the main components of the device?
thank you vm :)

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I don't know if I've asked this already but,
is it possible for download mode on android to be "broken?"
How do I figure out if the reason my PC's device manager is giving me a Code 10 error when my phone is plugged in in download mode is because of a driver issue on PC, or if it's due to download mode being "broken"?
It doesn't LOOK broken, it boots into download mode smoothly, doesn't seem glitchy- is it even possible for download mode to be glitchy? I'm just not sure what to do from here because I'm so confused about whether or not it's "possible" for a phone's download/odin mode to be "broken... Can anyone tell me anything about this?
Just adding more...

You don't need, not even, to see your device in device manager, by seeing "added" in Odin and the blinding light blue download screen in your Samsung device, is enough.
You just need to install this driver, to get it to work, https://developer.samsung.com/android-usb-driver. Recommended, uninstall all the previous Samsung drivers.
And the so-called download mode is not really, is most likely bootloader mode (a kind of fastboot mode)

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
hi guys
I have a nexus 10.
it's running old andro5, with a very slow reactivity regarding few years ago
Id like to know :
a/ is it easy to convert the system to lineage, like for huawei/samsung devices?
b/ is there a LOS release for that device, whom is compatible with cameras bluetooth and the main components of the device?
thank you vm :)
You may find here as much as it exists (probably) https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/google-nexus-10.1914/

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Thank you so much. But one more question: Have you ever heard of download mode being stuck? On some androids, is the only way to exit download mode pulling the battery?
Usually, holding volume down+home+power or volume down+power while in download mode reboots the device.

If you can't boot out of download mode then you have somehow corrupted your software.

If you can boot into download mode, try flashing your stock firmware via Odin, if you have the "auto reboot" option checked in Odin, it should automatically reboot into system after you flash the firmware.

KlutzyBubbles

Nov 15, 2022
No, you always can power off a device, it could be a timing issue, press the two volume buttons + the PWR one.

Also, in TWRP there is a very short time, that you can ADB to your device (even if it is in frozen screen), prepare the CMD with adb reboot bootloader, and once you see the TWRP screen, hit on it. Repeat the operation if needed, it should work.

Pay attention to this, when you press the dedicated buttons, the device, always go to a power off state, at least for 2 or 3 seconds, you have to get this short time, to change the combination buttons (be ready before that happens)., from this short 3-ish seconds, you have to send it to download mode.
Just to follow up to close on this, i wasn't able to adb in the twrp loop i was having (while it had battery it never stayed off for more than half a second), however letting the device run out of battery allowed me to boot it into download mode and re load a newer version of twrp.

I have a thread open that i will also update with this solution on the off chance someone else is googling the same thing

SHSuperEddie

Nov 11, 2022
Usually, holding volume down+home+power or volume down+power while in download mode reboots the device.

If you can't boot out of download mode then you have somehow corrupted your software.

If you can boot into download mode, try flashing your stock firmware via Odin, if you have the "auto reboot" option checked in Odin, it should automatically reboot into system after you flash the firmware.
I see. Thank you. What exactly causes corrupted software?
Also, is it possible to flash an LG phone with Odin?

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I see. Thank you. What exactly causes corrupted software?
Also, is it possible to flash an LG phone with Odin?
Ah, that is part of the problem, way back in one of your earlier posts you mentioned Odin, that is where the confusion is. No, LG devices do not use Odin, they use the LGUP software. Download mode and all of that is completely different on LG.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

SHSuperEddie

Nov 11, 2022
Ah, that is part of the problem, way back in one of your earlier posts you mentioned Odin, that is where the confusion is. No, LG devices do not use Odin, they use the LGUP software. Download mode and all of that is completely different on LG.
Ah, sorry... I didn't know... I thought odin mode was just an alternate name for download mode on any given device...
This is the first time I've ever done anything this tech-y T-T

TheAndrew579

Feb 1, 2019
Hello, it's my first time rooting an alcatel phone (5007g), it's mine of course. But I have a problem, when I unlock the bootloader using "fastboot oem unlock" when it goes hard reset, it says baseband is null and imei too. Which is weird, when I lock the bootloader again they reappear again. And I locked it again because when it boots it says orange state, and yes, when I lock it, the orange thing disappears and imei and sim reappear normally. What I want to know is, if I flash boot.img using magisk (activating the option of patch vbmeta) the orange state disappears? But more importantly, the imei and baseband reappear like normally? Because afaik if you flash custom boot.img with magisk, and you lock the bootloader again, the phone gets bricked... And I don't want a brick because apparently this phone Is hard to flash besides it is MediaTek powered.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hello, it's my first time rooting an alcatel phone (5007g), it's mine of course. But I have a problem, when I unlock the bootloader using "fastboot oem unlock" when it goes hard reset, it says baseband is null and imei too. Which is weird, when I lock the bootloader again they reappear again. And I locked it again because when it boots it says orange state, and yes, when I lock it, the orange thing disappears and imei and sim reappear normally. What I want to know is, if I flash boot.img using magisk (activating the option of patch vbmeta) the orange state disappears? But more importantly, the imei and baseband reappear like normally? Because afaik if you flash custom boot.img with magisk, and you lock the bootloader again, the phone gets bricked... And I don't want a brick because apparently this phone Is hard to flash besides it is MediaTek powered.
It seems this Alcatel model doesn't allow bootloader to be unlocking, and it corrupts immediately the baseband. (Or even worst, the partition where the IMEI/s is/are allocated).

Anyway, you can try as follows: no guarantee, that it works.
1- Use this tool, to back up every partition, specially the nvram, nvcfg, and nvdata). https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient
2- Backup the IMEI using Modem Meta tool, just search for it, for this, you should need to send your device to meta mode, some builds allow, to enter to, just with combination keys, or through commands, or using MTK engineering access.
3- Unlock bootloader.
4- Restore the IMEI using Modem Meta tool, you must have the baseband working, in order to do so, if you haven't, then try restoring the three images mentioned previously.

TheAndrew579

Feb 1, 2019
Nevermind, THANK YOU, mtkclient worked as a charm! My phone revived! Now what i have to do is root it and restore the original imei using the tool you said

Last edited:
Reactions: SubwayChamp

jamtis

Dec 11, 2022
Hi,

I have a generic question (not tied to any device) about the usage of MTK scatter files and after some research found only negligible resources on that issue.
Since the whole XDA infrastructure is quite opaque, I thought I might first ask here.

In short, my question is "Can I increase my super partition by modifying my scatter file?"
(I'm not interested in *creating* a scatter file, I already have the correct one.)
In general I'd be interested in any educational material on the fundamental workings of scatter files and their connection to ".img/.bin" files.
In particular, what are the conditions that a .img file must fulfill so that it can successfully be flashed via e.g. SP Flash Tool.

Also, is such a question suited for "General Q&A"?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi,

I have a generic question (not tied to any device) about the usage of MTK scatter files and after some research found only negligible resources on that issue.
Since the whole XDA infrastructure is quite opaque, I thought I might first ask here.

In short, my question is "Can I increase my super partition by modifying my scatter file?"
(I'm not interested in *creating* a scatter file, I already have the correct one.)
In general I'd be interested in any educational material on the fundamental workings of scatter files and their connection to ".img/.bin" files.
In particular, what are the conditions that a .img file must fulfill so that it can successfully be flashed via e.g. SP Flash Tool.

Also, is such a question suited for "General Q&A"?
Increasing partition sizes requires making another partition or other partitions smaller. Depending on which partitions you steal the extra space from and depending on how much space you steal, this can decrease performance or even render the device inoperable if you screw with the wrong partition or reduce it's size to the point that said partition can no longer do its job properly.

jamtis

Dec 11, 2022
Increasing partition sizes requires making another partition or other partitions smaller. Depending on which partitions you steal the extra space from and depending on how much space you steal, this can decrease performance or even render the device inoperable if you screw with the wrong partition or reduce it's size to the point that said partition can no longer do its job properly.
First, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

I'm on the BL6000Pro which has 256GB, so plenty of space.
However, the stock scatter file only allocates ~5GB for the super partition.
I'd like to decrease the userdata in favor of the system partition in super.

I also did a complete backup with mtkclient.
However I doubt that I can just modify the scatter file and reflash the backup super.img?

Attachments

• MT6873_Android_scatter.txt
    45 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt

However I doubt that I can just modify the scatter file and reflash the backup super.img?
I don't know how it is done with MTK software but I can give you a "general" idea of how other devices do/have done this.

For example:

I had a Sprint Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch that had to be repartitioned to flash 5.0+ ROMs. Samsung devices use a PIT(Partition Information Table) file to handle partition order and structure when flashing Samsung firmware. The PIT file had to be edited to change parameters to allocate space from the user partition to the system partition.

From what I understand, the scatter file for MTK serves(approximately) the same purpose as Samsung's PIT. I'm sure you could edit your scatter file for the same purpose, I just don't know where to make the edit or what the edit should be for what you want because I don't know the details of exactly what is in a scatter file or how the flash tool reads/handles it.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016

The scatter txt, is not a partitioning tool, it can't do that, more likely, the scatter txt file is to interpret where the images go, what is flashed and what not, for example, SPFT interprets and execute what is written in a scatter txt file, it doesn't matter if it matches or not with the real (logical) partitions.

You should have to, re-partition your device, for example, with parted, this is just a reference, https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-32750.html, and then reflects that, in the scatter txt file, calculating the right sizes and lengths. More additional steps can be required, like editing the pgpt and sgpt files (from the backup). Also take in account that super image is placed on a dynamical partition, not a logical one, so, it can't be "edited" this way. Again, this is just for referencing, not encouraging to do that.

To have a reference, compare the sizes of both super partitions, one that is inside the firmware, and the super partition, backed up, you'll probably see that the super partition "grows" a little, from the original size, although there are many "blank" spaces within the images that are allocated in (product, odm, vendor, etc.). This means that you have some hope to flash, for example, a GSI, larger than 5 GB.

jamtis

Dec 11, 2022
The scatter txt, is not a partitioning tool, it can't do that, more likely, the scatter txt file is to interpret where the images go, what is flashed and what not, for example, SPFT interprets and execute what is written in a scatter txt file, it doesn't matter if it matches or not with the real (logical) partitions.

You should have to, re-partition your device, for example, with parted, this is just a reference, https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-32750.html, and then reflects that, in the scatter txt file, calculating the right sizes and lengths. More additional steps can be required, like editing the pgpt and sgpt files (from the backup). Also take in account that super image is placed on a dynamical partition, not a logical one, so, it can't be "edited" this way. Again, this is just for referencing, not encouraging to do that.

To have a reference, compare the sizes of both super partitions, one that is inside the firmware, and the super partition, backed up, you'll probably see that the super partition "grows" a little, from the original size, although there are many "blank" spaces within the images that are allocated in (product, odm, vendor, etc.). This means that you have some hope to flash, for example, a GSI, larger than 5 GB.
Thanks for the info, it is good to know that SPFT doesn't repartition at all.

Unfortunately, the BL6000Pro does not have any custom recovery (like TWRP) and I can't get adb access (unauthorized) in the stock recovery.
Otherwise I would have tried to repartition the device with parted.

I guess I have to ask two questions:
1. How to I get adb access in the stock recovery? (Is there a generic way?)
2. Is there a way to repartition a dynamical partition without having access to a custom recovery?
(This is what I was hoping to do with the scatter file, which doesn't work.)

If I may ask an additional question:
Once I have a backup super.img of size X can I reflash that backup onto a repartitioned super partition with size X' > X, or does that cause issues? (Assuming the repartitioning was done correctly.)

I hope that these questions are somewhat generic so they may also be useful to other people.

Toberius

Jul 1, 2017
Rosario
Hi,

I was performing a backup with adb and when I want to see what files in, get this error.

Some of you have an input for give me?

Regards.

Code:
dd if=com.google.android.youtube.ab bs=1 skip=24 status=progress | python -c "import zlib,sys;sys.stdout.write(zlib.decompress(sys.stdin.read()))" | tar -xvf -
1117107+0 records in
1117107+0 records out
1117107 bytes (1,1 MB, 1,1 MiB) copied, 0,636701 s, 1,8 MB/s

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python-exec/python3.10/../../../lib/python3.10/codecs.py", line 322, in decode
    (result, consumed) = self._buffer_decode(data, self.errors, final)

UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xda in position 1: invalid continuation byte

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    I've got a Samsung Galaxy A10 SM-A105F and I tried installing all kinds of different roms on it and they install just fine but then when i go to boot to system I end up in this hell hole of perpetual booting and restarting. I've been at it for 6h now and I'm exhausted. Please help. I've got photos of the install and video of the problem.
    First thing you need to do is formatting data.
    And if only this, doesn't solve it, then search for a blank vbmeta, to be converted to a tar file, then flashed through Odin, and/or DM-verity zip to be flashed through TWRP.
    Hey sorry to bother but I already looked around and couldn't find what I needed. I was wondering if there was a "universal" rom or if I could commission someone to possibly make a rom? I have a nabi 2 and there are rooting tools but no roms to update it past Android 4.4.2. I know I can buy a new device but it's important that I keep this one. I'm willing to mail the one I have (in u.s) or possibly buy someone one one off ebay. Any help would be appreciated.
    The closest thing to "universal" ROM is a GSI(generic system image) but these are only available for devices that are supported by Project Treble, which, I'm certain that yours is not.

I doubt you'll find anyone to build a ROM "for you", developers(the people that build ROMs) typically only build ROMs for devices that they personally own or use because building ROMs requires a lot of time and testing, they aren't willing to put that kind of time into developing for a device that they do not own or use.

You will have to step up and learn to build the ROM for yourself but only if the stock source code for your device has been released to the public, if it hasn't been released, you will not be able to build a ROM unless you start completely from scratch and develop a custom source code for your device and then build your ROM from that source code.

Or, you could port an existing ROM from a device that has the same CPU/hardware architecture as your device.
    hello , wondering if anyone knows how to enter safestrap from the bootloader?
    (att samsung S5 , superSU)
    thanks for any tips/guides/help!
    I don't know exactly of S5, but I had in the past a GN4, that I have to reboot to safestrap, due to locked bootloader, safestrap couldn't be reached through hardware methods because was placed in system, not specifically in recovery partition (the stock recovery always was untouched), and I could do it only using an app.
    Not sure if this is a total noob q or not, but I've been searching for far too long and haven't found a definitive answer...

When attempting to install a custom recovery on an older device, is a current version of TWRP/CWM ok, or better to try and find an older, more "period correct" version?
    Custom recoveries are built while the device´s time-living, not before, they´re specific for every model, although sometimes you could find, again, crosses/shared development under specific criteria, grouped due to same processor, (sometimes) kernel, i.e. S9 and S9+, Realme devices with MT6785 or RMX6785, etc.
    There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
    which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
    ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
    leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
    the direction where that user can find an answer
    and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
    point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
    (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
    and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
    NO TROLLING
    NO NAME CALLING
    NO RIDICULING
    NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
    problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
    post-mortem
    SilentStrider
    Ghostfreak NB
    mayank9856
    sgs22012
    Zatta
    ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
    Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    Good job mate, hopefully lots of members will find this thread very helpful :cool::good:
    ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo