Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

larsdennert

Dec 5, 2007
I can't post in the feedback for the new forum. No reply button. When I click to log in it says I'm already logged in. Refreshing doesn't help.

Link to chromecast forum on home screen is dead

JRowe47

Nov 11, 2009
I've got fastboot working now, and was able to flash the patched bootloader. I'm now getting a set of different messages, based on what I've tried.

"Orange State. Your device has been unlocked and can't be trusted. Your device will reboot in 5 seconds."

I tried re-locking the bootloader and got this message:
"Red State. Your device has failed verification and may not boot properly. Please download boot image with correct signature or disable verified boot. Your device will reboot in 5 seconds."

In both cases, the tablet just boot loops.

I'm going to flash the stock bootloader and run through the process again.

Lefky

Mar 31, 2014
I've got a few questions that result in either inconsitent answers depending the site/thread you're reading or very old ones...

My phone is an lg g6 but i'm planning on doing it with my next phone when it comes out of the box anyway. I want the stock android experience. For that I need to flash the phone, for that I need to root it, and for that it's best practice to take a backup.

The thing is I'm scared of bricking the phone as I've never done any of these things before. I know for LG you need to apply on their site to get a code to root it and that TWRP is the best thing to backup. I've read quite some guides here already as well and I'm (no intent to get cocky here) the IT guy that's being considered very techy (so I know linux, all sorts of scripting and coding, ... you get the picture). I've done some things with ADB to remove bloatware and open a port for tasker.
Once I even flashed cyanogen to a galaxy S3 with the guiding cyanogen tool. But I'd like to know the ins and outs of it and be able to do this to other phones with other roms as well.

So to get me started, are there any decent/validated guides with step by step explanations? And what is a good custom ROM that receives updates on a regular basis?

Thx in advance

indestructible master

Nov 8, 2015
Huawei Y5 (2017)
I've got fastboot working now, and was able to flash the patched bootloader. I'm now getting a set of different messages, based on what I've tried.

"Orange State. Your device has been unlocked and can't be trusted. Your device will reboot in 5 seconds."

I tried re-locking the bootloader and got this message:
"Red State. Your device has failed verification and may not boot properly. Please download boot image with correct signature or disable verified boot. Your device will reboot in 5 seconds."

In both cases, the tablet just boot loops.

I'm going to flash the stock bootloader and run through the process again.

under all circumstances dont relock bootloader as it have potential to hard brick device (if you lock bootloader with patched boot it can get hard bricked)

instead, try this then.

in fastboot flash original boot.img (one from original ROM)
reboot (to see if it got out of bootloop, if it dodnt boot again, then with sp flash tool flash whole stock ROM, but dont relock bootlooader, and that Orange state is normal and sign that bootloader is unlocked)
and then try using this command in fastboot:

fastboot boot c:\patched_boot.img

diffrence here is that you dont type "flash", so you dont flash it, instead you just boot from it.

-Phone will boot
-Open magisk manager again (install it if you didnt)
-Choose install again and you will have a new option called direct install.
-Choose that and just reboot once and done...
-Now you are rooted, and no need to do anything more in fastboot.

But if that doesnt work, then patched_boot.img is main issue, and need to export again, also check diffrence between patched_boot.img and original_boot.img in how much is filesize (if patched_boot.img is smaller than original_boot (a signifant diffrence, like patch is 25kb and original is 8 mb), then magisk didnt patched it properly, bug in that app version.

Hope you can make it work by upper method, fingers crossed

Reactions: TheMadAtheist

JRowe47

Nov 11, 2009
...also check diffrence between patched_boot.img and original_boot.img in how much is filesize (if patched_boot.img is smaller than original_boot (a signifant diffrence, like patch is 25kb and original is 8 mb), then magisk didnt patched it properly, bug in that app version.

Original is 32 MB and the patched img is 10 MB, so that must be it. The fastboot boot does the same thing, so I'm re-flashing the original bootloader and finding a Magisk version that will work properly.

indestructible master

Nov 8, 2015
Huawei Y5 (2017)
I've got a few questions that result in either inconsitent answers depending the site/thread you're reading or very old ones...

My phone is an lg g6 but i'm planning on doing it with my next phone when it comes out of the box anyway. I want the stock android experience. For that I need to flash the phone, for that I need to root it, and for that it's best practice to take a backup.

The thing is I'm scared of bricking the phone as I've never done any of these things before. I know for LG you need to apply on their site to get a code to root it and that TWRP is the best thing to backup. I've read quite some guides here already as well and I'm (no intent to get cocky here) the IT guy that's being considered very techy (so I know linux, all sorts of scripting and coding, ... you get the picture). I've done some things with ADB to remove bloatware and open a port for tasker.
Once I even flashed cyanogen to a galaxy S3 with the guiding cyanogen tool. But I'd like to know the ins and outs of it and be able to do this to other phones with other roms as well.

So to get me started, are there any decent/validated guides with step by step explanations? And what is a good custom ROM that receives updates on a regular basis?

Thx in advance
there is whole thread for this phone: https://xdaforums.com/c/lg-g6.6167/
if that is the one you need for there you can find all ROMs, TWRP, and guide is packed in that post already.

There are a lot of custom ROMs, as what is most updated depends more on developer maintenance than ROM.
So you can choose from variety.

You dont need root to root phone :D

And here is twrp for this device and how to install, instructions in there

As you're developer you already know how to enable usb debugging, enable that, you already know how to install ADB and neccesary drivers, install them too, and boot into fastboot/bootloader.
Either with key combinations (look online) or with ADB command:
adb reboot bootloader

when you boot in bootloader, in ADB type

fastboot oem unlock

and then flash twrp.img in fastboot with command

fastboot flash recovery c:\twrp.img

and then

fastboot reboot recovery

and you're into twrp

--------

and you mention about some asking to lg for code, i see its about bootloader unlock code (it requires code to unlock it, so instead of typing "fastboot oem unlock" you need to provide code in that command, like "fastboot oem unlock 4545448"

here is what i found, follow these instructions to get code and set up environment to unlock it properly:

if you have problems with unlocking bootloader code, follow their instructions, as it became standard to lock these bootloaders, sad

Reactions: plegdroid

JRowe47

Nov 11, 2009
But if that doesnt work, then patched_boot.img is main issue, and need to export again, also check diffrence between patched_boot.img and original_boot.img in how much is filesize (if patched_boot.img is smaller than original_boot (a signifant diffrence, like patch is 25kb and original is 8 mb), then magisk didnt patched it properly, bug in that app version.

Alright, I installed the Canary version, which created a patched boot.img the same size as the original. It's still boot looping, unfortunately. I tried both flashing and booting directly and neither worked.

Fortunately flashing the stock bootloader gets me back in working order, so experimentation is safe.

I think Magisk might not be viable. However, now that I've got the bootloader unlocked, I'm going to try some of the root apps again.

How difficult would TWRP be - does it need to target the device hardware or can I use a generic recovery and fastboot?

Reactions: TheMadAtheist

indestructible master

Nov 8, 2015
Huawei Y5 (2017)
Alright, I installed the Canary version, which created a patched boot.img the same size as the original. It's still boot looping, unfortunately. I tried both flashing and booting directly and neither worked.

Fortunately flashing the stock bootloader gets me back in working order, so experimentation is safe.

I think Magisk might not be viable. However, now that I've got the bootloader unlocked, I'm going to try some of the root apps again.

How difficult would TWRP be - does it need to target the device hardware or can I use a generic recovery and fastboot?
then i'm runned out of options
it definitely is magisk issue, you're literally on the edge of rooting tablet.

look into this, try explained method:

also try Beta version.

and after all, if you're locked down at home, and have a lot of time, then try all possible apks for that magisk, beta, canary, alpha, stable, whatnot, and look into online guides to "fix bootloop caused by magisk boot img", because it's magisk problem.

or search for similar posts like this above, maybe some custom command can help

twrp method is not possible because your tab dont have twrp for that build

but for note, know that when you see twrp for your model, know that time has come ... for easy rooting.

via twrp you just need to flash UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip and you're done
https://download.chainfire.eu/696/supersu/

i know same thing applies with magisk, there is option to create flashable zip and flash it via twrp

your best bet is to try with magisk app versions.

and also, if you want to root tablet for productivity or use tablet as productivity tool, i think you should have gone with chuwi windows versions, as chuwi is very good, but android tablets tends to be very much abandoned in developer comunity.

or look into some xda guides here how to port twrp to your tab, or even better build it from source, so you in that way you contribute to development.

JRowe47

Nov 11, 2009
then i'm runned out of options
it definitely is magisk issue, you're literally on the edge of rooting tablet.

look into this, try explained method:

also try Beta version.

and after all, if you're locked down at home, and have a lot of time, then try all possible apks for that magisk, beta, canary, alpha, stable, whatnot, and look into online guides to "fix bootloop caused by magisk boot img", because it's magisk problem.

or search for similar posts like this above, maybe some custom command can help

twrp method is not possible because your tab dont have twrp for that build

but for note, know that when you see twrp for your model, know that time has come ... for easy rooting.

via twrp you just need to flash UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip and you're done
https://download.chainfire.eu/696/supersu/

i know same thing applies with magisk, there is option to create flashable zip and flash it via twrp

your best bet is to try with magisk app versions.

and also, if you want to root tablet for productivity or use tablet as productivity tool, i think you should have gone with chuwi windows versions, as chuwi is very good, but android tablets tends to be very much abandoned in developer comunity.

or look into some xda guides here how to port twrp to your tab, or even better build it from source, so you in that way you contribute to development.

Much appreciated, indestructible master! I tried a couple older versions of Magisk, and the sizes are right but something is causing the persistent bootloop. I am investigating the dm_verity methods, so I'll update when I've exhausted that route.

Aggnplz

Dec 2, 2020
Dear xda,

Would you be so kind to go through my Edge Browser manifest file on my recently acquired Oppo A12 and see if there is anything unusual about it and it is safe to browse and make monetary transactions on it. I've just recently recovered from a very brutal identify theft (hacker took over everything; phones, pcs, social medias, bank accounts, and etc), now I'm trying to piece everything together and get my life back on track.

Any advice or thoughts via forum replies or DMs is appreciated, for a better tomorrow.

https://www.4shared.com/office/YXY2Ond5ea/commicrosoftemmx_AndroidManife.html

Cheers.

indestructible master

Nov 8, 2015
Huawei Y5 (2017)
Dear xda,

Would you be so kind to go through my Edge Browser manifest file on my recently acquired Oppo A12 and see if there is anything unusual about it and it is safe to browse and make monetary transactions on it. I've just recently recovered from a very brutal identify theft (hacker took over everything; phones, pcs, social medias, bank accounts, and etc), now I'm trying to piece everything together and get my life back on track.

Any advice or thoughts via forum replies or DMs is appreciated, for a better tomorrow.

Cheers.
if you want advice, dont even consider using edge, most secure is firefox, then chrome. use firefox then.
and if you want to be much more secure using pc, especcially after such serious thing, i would consider using linux from now on, best to use is Qubes OS linux distro. No hacker cant hack you, and in linux you dont even have to pay antivirus or worry about viruses at all.
Partition PC in 2 partitions, one for windows and one for linux. Use windows, but only for programs you need, and dont downlaod or visit any suspicious websites and files from windows, just use programs you need, in linux you can browse web.
Dont look into email you dont know who sender is, dont click on link, and dont ever sign in in any account from opening any link in any email/message you get from people you dont know.
Use 2 step verification for your google account.
But if you just recovered from it (theft) , i would strongly siggest to change mobile number, completely factory reset phone and PC (reinstall PC), make new google account (enable 2 step verification with phone number), and if you have access to social media, update email to that new google account, or just create new social medias with that new goigle account, and also, in all social media enable 2 step verification, as every supports it.
and also for bank accounts, enable 3D secure for all cards.

personally if some hacker did idetity theft to me, i would forewer remain secure and hidden like edward snowden

and do you know how you got hacked after all? I smell phishing attack, isnt it?

, :) best

Last edited:

mikezero182

Aug 23, 2020
Hello everyone, recently i got an android phone, Alcatel 5058a, problem is it doesn't boot, every time i try to turn it on, it shows alcatel logo and then the android logo that says "no command" during the alcatel logo it also says "Device has been unlocked and cannot be trusted", i can get into recovery and fastboot too. my question is, is there any way i can make this phone work? thanks in advance

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016

Assuming that you did unlock the bootloader previously most likely the issue with no success in booting device is due to DM verity; try this command through fastboot after to flash the patched boot image, I can`t find the code tab in this new thing so just do it without quotes; " fastboot oem disable_dm_verity" , other way around is if your stock ROM contain a vbmeta image you have to flash it using the next: " fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img"

Reactions: xunholyx

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Dear xda,

Cheers.
I would look at your manifest file, but the site you uploaded it to is asking me to sign in with either my google, facebook, or twitter account. I shouldn't have to sign in with any account in order to download the file, and I won't. imo your online activity is probably part of the reason you got hacked if you are uploading to sites like this.
I know that 4shared is probably safe, but there is no reason for that site to NEED info from my social networks in order for me to download a file.
That's something you should consider in the future.

danny_bhoy67

Feb 8, 2014
Can someone explain the benefits of kernels with wireguard and KCAL support? I see these terms being used an I sort of understand what these things do but what are the main benefits to having them in your kernel?

Re wireguard: Is it just a VPN protocol and therefore do I still need to subscribe to a VPN provider which then supports the wireguard protocol or is it something I can implement myself without needing to pay for a VPN subscription?

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hello everyone, recently i got an android phone, Alcatel 5058a, problem is it doesn't boot, every time i try to turn it on, it shows alcatel logo and then the android logo that says "no command" during the alcatel logo it also says "Device has been unlocked and cannot be trusted", i can get into recovery and fastboot too. my question is, is there any way i can make this phone work? thanks in advance
You could try to flash the stock firmware to see if it fixes it. Google "Alcatel 5058a firmware" to find it.
It's also possible, but maybe not probable, that the issue is because of FRP (factory reset protection)

Reactions: mrrocketdog

mikezero182

Aug 23, 2020
You could try to flash the stock firmware to see if it fixes it. Google "Alcatel 5058a firmware" to find it.
It's also possible, but maybe not probable, that the issue is because of FRP (factory reset protection)
Tried flahsing it with SP flash tools, i keep gettng an error STATUS_BROM_CMD_FAIL (0xc0060005) is there any other way to flash the stock rom or to fix this error?

JRowe47

Nov 11, 2009
Assuming that you did unlock the bootloader previously most likely the issue with no success in booting device is due to DM verity; try this command through fastboot after to flash the patched boot image, I can`t find the code tab in this new thing so just do it without quotes; " fastboot oem disable_dm_verity" , other way around is if your stock ROM contain a vbmeta image you have to flash it using the next: " fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img"
Maybe I spoke too soon. I can boot from the magisk_patched.img bootloader, but the magisk app doesn't give me the option to do a direct install, and I'm getting failed safetynet checks. I don't appear to have root.

Top Liked Posts